PDA

View Full Version : Snowiest winter I've ever seen.

Sinister
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I recently heard on the news that this winter, Quebec City and area has received an average of more than one inch of snow a day. I can't see the street through the living room window because of the gigantic hill that's been getting bigger and bigger as the snowblowers take the snow out of the streets and onto people's front yards.

Getting that much snow would make anyone who skis or snowboards all hyper. But I'm not into winter sports. On the plus side, there was so damn much snow falling this morning that my college is closed for the day.

Oh, and yesterday there was not a snowflake in the sky, but I was freezing my ass off with a lovely -30 Celsius. I hate winter.

ad8
02-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe you should move to the flat parts of Germany...
There was like one day this winter when we had about half an inch of snow

Llamas
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I recently heard on the news that this winter, Quebec City and area has received an average of more than one inch of snow a day. I can't see the street through the living room window because of the gigantic hill that's been getting bigger and bigger as the snowblowers take the snow out of the streets and onto people's front yards.

Getting that much snow would make anyone who skis or snowboards all hyper. But I'm not into winter sports. On the plus side, there was so damn much snow falling this morning that my college is closed for the day.

Oh, and yesterday there was not a snowflake in the sky, but I was freezing my ass off with a lovely -30 Celsius. I hate winter.

I walked a mile and a half (roughly 3km?) in -26 C weather on Monday. That sucked. I don't hate winter, I love snow... but I'm not a huge fan of the temperatures that are way below 0 F/-10 C. Seriously.

JoY
02-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Getting that much snow would make anyone who skis or snowboards all hyper.

UH HUH. going skiing tomorrow, eeeee. *excited*

Bazza
02-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Last week I was walking around just wearing a t-shirt, I think we've had the least snow this winter for years.

MrJoe
02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
It reached 18c / 64f in england yesterday, and has been around that for the last 3 days or so. Cold today though, but not cold compared to your standards, its about 5c / 41f.

Sunny
02-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Getting that much snow would make anyone who skis or snowboards all hyper.

damn right it would. meanwhile, the snowfall in new york has been pretty shitty so far. the local ski resort i go to was closed last weekend cause it was so warm. ;[

send some of your snow our way, canadaians :(

nieh
02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
We've gotten light flurries almost every day this week, but nothing has stuck. Lousy Canadians, stealing everyone else's snow.

T-6005
02-14-2008, 08:00 AM
So much snow in Toronto it's been ridiculous.

Personally, I'd rather have snow than colder weather, because at least it's not 20 below plus wind chill making my life hellish whenever I want to go anywhere.

Tired_Of_You
02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
And we've still got more than a month of winter left. Sometimes, it's so complicated to park your car in Montreal and where I live (Mtl's suburb), it's difficult to shovel the snow because the bancs de neige* are so fucking high. I wish I could send snow to some of you.

* no idea what it is in English. Someone help me. :/

Sunny
02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
snow banks? ;p

JoY
02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
We've gotten light flurries almost every day this week, but nothing has stuck. Lousy Canadians, stealing everyone else's snow.

there are other continents on this planet, you know? maybe the French stole your snow.

nieh
02-14-2008, 09:40 AM
The French? But they're cowards! I'd much rather blame the French Canadians.

BREAK
02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Whether you love or hate it, whether there's too much snow or not enough for you, it don't make no sense to complain about it. It ain't that big a deal. You might as well complain that you don't have 12 million dollars and a mountain named after you for all the good it's gonna do.

Llamas
02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I have no complaints about the amount of snow here. My only complaint is that I haven't had a chance to go skiing at all this year, and I won't before winter ends.

We just got like 3 more inches of snow last night. :) Right now, the snow is generally about a foot high. AND the temperature is normal again! It's like +19! <3 This is perfect winter weather. I sat out on the front porch yesterday and just enjoyed how lovely it is outside.

Homer
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I have complaints about the weather we've been getting out here. Not only are we getting a lot of snow, but we're also getting a lot of wind.

The weather (with wind chill) around here, has been getting to around -40C almost constantly. Though, it is supposed to warm up this weekend (-12C), but even then, it's also supposed to snow. I hate Winnipeg.

Llamas
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I have complaints about the weather we've been getting out here. Not only are we getting a lot of snow, but we're also getting a lot of wind.

The weather (with wind chill) around here, has been getting to around -40C almost constantly. Though, it is supposed to warm up this weekend (-12C), but even then, it's also supposed to snow. I hate Winnipeg.

That's the same the temperature has been here. That -40 shit really sucks. -12 isn't so bad, though. It's -8 here right now. Which really is like perfect winter weather to me.

The wind really sucks, though. When it's already like -25 and then you get that 40kph wind blowing, bringing it down to -40.... brrrr. I don't like that.

Homer
02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
^ Exactly.

And thanks to the wind we've been getting this past week, I've been running to many problems with traveling. On Saturday, they closed down a highway I usually take to get into the city due to the wind (right when I had to get to a birthday party), and now today, it was too cold for my car to start. Bah. Oh well, atleast I have a good excuse for missing school... [/rant]

Alright, I'm done.

Camilamazed
02-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a complaint. I've only seen snow twice. There wasn't much enough to build a snowman. That's is very sad for me.

Guess I'll have to go somewhere else in the US to do it.

=\

IamSam
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I hate winter and snow. Anyone in a warm climate want to hire a butler?

Tired_Of_You
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Merry Christmas. Thought I'd post some pictures.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3258/dsc08003rz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9377/dsc08004bx8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And it's not the end. :(

Jakebert
03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Lousy Smarch weather.

T-6005
03-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I have to go shovel.

Why the hell would people move to a climate where you have to use a digging implement to remove snow?

Tired_Of_You
03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Dunno. I always wondered why my ancestors decided to move to Quebec. Crazy people.

Next time I'm going to shovel snow is tomorrow. I'm scared of how much snow there will be.

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Dunno. I always wondered why my ancestors decided to move to Quebec. Crazy people.

Next time I'm going to shovel snow is tomorrow. I'm scared of how much snow there will be.

My exam was postponed until next week. I don't mind a little (ok, a lot) of snow shoveling in return for an extension... if I had to shovel, that is. I don't. My janitor does.

You know, winter is not all thaaat bad.

Sorry, I meant to say: I feel your pain. Bon courage!

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah snow has also saved my ass academically as well. (Uni is in a neighboring city and I take the train that was conveniently not running.)

It is annoying however if I want to move around Copenhagen.

We've only had snow during the nights though. Like you'll come out of a bar and it will have snowed overnight and it will be pretty awesome.

Next morning you're hungover and the snow has been replaced with gray skies and puddles.

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
We had like six snow storms this winter (that's higher than average). It's accompagnied by high winds and lasts over 12 hours.

You know what we call snow that falls during a night out in the bar? Light snow fall.

WebDudette
03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Fuck yeah! Arizona!

Seriously though, I want some snow :(.

Sidewinder
03-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Fuck the south.

Everyone was all excited, OMG! WE MIGHT GET TWO INCHES TONIGHT! HUGE SNOW, BIGGEST IN YEARS!

We didn't even get flurries.

Sinister
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Bump. Because I'm pissed. Okay, so saturday I worked 5pm to 11pm. Sometime during that, the biggest fucking snowstorm in ages starts hitting. Hard. So by 11pm the public transit system is all shut down, and there's not a taxi available. So I just mess around / try to hitch a ride to a place to sleep from co-workers. Nothing works, so at 1:30AM I'm back to work, because at least it'll give me something to do. At 7AM I decide I've had enough, and should try to see if the buses are running again. So I wait and wait and wait and wait and finally decide to go eat breakfast at Tim Horton's. After that there finally are buses running. I get to the bus terminal (as far as the buses will go) around 11:45, and get a cab to be home around 12:15. I've been fully awake for around 25 hours now, all due to this fucking shitty Quebecker weather. Oh, and the blvd. next to where I work was blocked off for the night because a power line was dangerously close to falling down on it.

Llamas
03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't honestly blame the weather for that; I'd blame the city for not being better prepared for such weather. We're also getting snow storms here, even though the biggest ones seem to have passed, but it's a matter for the city to make sure the roads get cleared of ice and snow so that buses can run. Especially when you live in a city that sees snow and winter weather regularly should you expect things to not shut down just because of a nasty storm.

Regardless, that totally sucks. I'd write an angry letter to the snow plows and salt trucks of the city. :P

Sinister
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, buses being stopped only happens once in a couple of years. And no amount of angry letters could change shit, because we couldn't be better prepared if we tried, as far as I know, and also because snowblowers and whatnot are pretty much useless while the storm is still going. Anyway, I'll probably be less pissed off when I get some sleep. But I've got to stay up till the evening if I don't want to fuck up my biological clock. I'm moving to Cali as soon as I'm done with university. Maybe even right after college.

Llamas
03-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Once every couple years is way too often. I can guarantee you that the weather here is every bit as cold and "bad" as it is there, and it's all about planning ahead. Getting the roads salted when the storm is first starting, making sure they stay salted the entire time... getting plows out there while it's snowing DOES make a difference. It can be prevented, but I was kidding about angry letters...

Homer
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
lolololololol (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk)

Tired_Of_You
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I agree with Sinister. Even snowblowers got stuck in the snow. I think Qu&#233;bec is usually well prepared for snowtorms, but this one was worse than others because of the wind. Qu&#233;bec city always has it worse than where I live, though. I was working yesterday and when I went back from work at 5-5h30 pm, it was hell, I couldn't see anything in front of me and lots of cars were on the side of the highway, stuck there.

JoY
03-10-2008, 03:54 AM
The French? But they're cowards! I'd much rather blame the French Canadians.

well, let me tell you weeks later that in France they had marvellous snow.:p

Brianna! omg! I wish I could take you skiing some day! im lyke; snow -> ski! & ur lyke; snow -> ski! & now we have to.<3

alright, but 4srs. when I start chatting about the weather, it usually means my company is boring me out of my mind. unless it's about anything related to skiing, of course. therefore;
Dear Sinister Simon, sorries for your pain, I hope you'll live.<3

Sinister
03-10-2008, 05:38 AM
I lived. Having to stay awake for 32 hours because there just isn't any place to sleep never killed anybody. Pissed me the F off, but that's getting better now; and hearing of people who got stuck on roads and had to spend that hell of a night in their fucking car makes me realize I wasn't the worst off by far.

Llamas
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Brianna! omg! I wish I could take you skiing some day! im lyke; snow -> ski! & ur lyke; snow -> ski! & now we have to.<3

lawlzz, let's duuuue it babe!!

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-11-2008, 03:08 AM
I hate winter.

Suppose Canada isn't -exactly- the best choice of place to live, then..

Sinister
03-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Not a choice. Birthplace. And Quebec just recently beat its (pretty much the world's) record for snowiest winter ever. 463 cm I think.

I'm moving to Cali as soon as I'm done with studies.

Llamas
03-11-2008, 03:21 PM
(pretty much the world's) record for snowiest winter ever. 463 cm I think.

Uhh, sorry... but the world record is actually 2896 cm. That in Quebec isn't even a quarter of that...

Sinister
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Quite possible, but 1) I was just exaggerating the situation, like I often do, and 2) Quebec City probably isn't that far behind in terms of ranking.

T-6005
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
llamas, why do you seem bent on showing up Canadian winters?

Llamas
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
T, I'm more bent on getting people to quit bitching about weather/bragging about how bad the weather is where they are. Everyone gets bad weather, and chances are it's better where most people who post here live than in many places. Too many people seem to whine about the weather, and there are too many threads (though most seem to come from wishomie, and sometimes sinister) regarding bad weather.

By the way, the snowiest city in the US is actually in California... careful where you move. :P That city actually got considerably more snow than Quebec this year, haha.

Oh yeah, and as far as Quebec goes, it's not even in Canada's top five snowiest cities... let alone the world!

T-6005
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
T, I'm more bent on getting people to quit bitching about weather/bragging about how bad the weather is where they are. Everyone gets bad weather, and chances are it's better where most people who post here live than in many places. Too many people seem to whine about the weather, and there are too many threads (though most seem to come from wishomie, and sometimes sinister) regarding bad weather.

By the way, the snowiest city in the US is actually in California... careful where you move. :P That city actually got considerably more snow than Quebec this year, haha.

Oh yeah, and as far as Quebec goes, it's not even in Canada's top five snowiest cities... let alone the world!
Be that as it may, Quebec (and most of Canada) has consistent experience with dealing with snow. More than that, they're expected to know how to deal with snow, which counts just as much as the actual weather, if not more.

I've only had to shovel a few times this season, and Toronto's been ridiculously unprepared, particularly public transit. And yet it's been ridiculously snowy for a Torontonian winter. People coming from even a hundred kilometers north and laugh at the Torontonians. It's not because there's more snow there, just because they're more prepared because they know that they might need to be prepared at any point.

The farther south you are, the less you're expected to deal with bad weather, and even if the weather is worse where you are, the less you're generally able to deal with it. Expectations count for a lot.

Either way, my point is - when people tell you that the weather is bad where they are, it is to them.

I don't laugh at people about rain and wind where they are, and I lived in Taiwan for 8 years. I am intimately familiar with being unable to walk down the street against the wind while it's raining - it's like drowning up right. But that doesn't mean I laugh at people when they talk about storms, just because cars aren't being flipped over by the wind there.

Llamas
03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Be that as it may, Quebec (and most of Canada) has consistent experience with dealing with snow. More than that, they're expected to know how to deal with snow, which counts just as much as the actual weather, if not more.

I've only had to shovel a few times this season, and Toronto's been ridiculously unprepared, particularly public transit. And yet it's been ridiculously snowy for a Torontonian winter. People coming from even a hundred kilometers north and laugh at the Torontonians. It's not because there's more snow there, just because they're more prepared because they know that they might need to be prepared at any point.

The farther south you are, the less you're expected to deal with bad weather, and even if the weather is worse where you are, the less you're generally able to deal with it. Expectations count for a lot.

Either way, my point is - when people tell you that the weather is bad where they are, it is to them.

I don't laugh at people about rain and wind where they are, and I lived in Taiwan for 8 years. I am intimately familiar with being unable to walk down the street against the wind while it's raining - it's like drowning up right. But that doesn't mean I laugh at people when they talk about storms, just because cars aren't being flipped over by the wind there.

Well, I do understand that weather is relative. Today it's 8 C outside, and everyone was so excited for the t-shirt weather... if it's 8 C in Florida, everyone's gonna freak out about how cold it is. I understand that people react differently to different types of weather based on where they live. What gets to me is when people just bitch about it so incredibly much, and even more so when they talk about it as though it's so much worse than anyone could possibly understand/so much worse than anywhere else. I don't know, it's just a really major pet peeve for me.

JoY
03-12-2008, 04:51 AM
lawlzz, let's duuuue it babe!!

we'd make such a hot pair of ski-babes!!

HornyPope
03-12-2008, 08:06 AM
we'd make such a hot pair of ski-babes!!

What the hell?

Drafan
03-12-2008, 08:39 AM
This is the least snowiest winter I´ve ever seen, we´re under hills and we haven´t had continuous snow cover for not even 12 days. Winter doesn´t like our country anymore. I wonder why every godforsaken place is now building downhill runs, when there wouldn´t be any snow.