Duskygrin
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
. .

iPunk247
02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
(10) characters

SkunkIt
02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Maria, your English gets less comprehensable everyday, please dumb it down a little.

iPunk247
02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
(10) characters

JohnnyNemesis
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Why the fuck would anyone reply to this shit? I mean when it was only one post long. To each their own, I suppose.

RickyCrack
02-15-2008, 02:57 AM
SUCK MAH DIKC RIKYC LOLCOLOLOWLOLOOLLOLLOOLLLOLLLOL.

plz . urs is so big!

Sunny
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Maria, it's not that we're too dumb to understand what you're saying. it's just that your bouts of outtdated verbal diarrhea are incredibly arduous to read.

while your freerice.com score might be very impressive, there is more to eloquence than sounding like an unholy cross between a Jane Austen novel and a SAT prep textbook.

communicating clearly in plain, modern English doesn't hurt, i promise. you should try it sometime.

0r4ng3
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
This thread reminds me how much I used to like the poem Jabberwocky. I should read it again.

T-6005
Erm I seriously think you're dumb though. Sorry.
Well, of course you do. It makes perfect sense that you would think that, after all.

I'm surprised you didn't go with a word like imbecilic instead, though. Much more straightforward.

Sunny
Erm I seriously think you're dumb though. Sorry.

see? you're making progress!

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
plz . urs is so big!

lol okayz.

Oh, and Maria, please learn English.

blackballs_2
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
http://gog.go.pl/gogblack.jpg (http://gog.go.pl)

Sunny
02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
ugh, spierdalaj na drzewo.

Camilamazed
02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
whew..

After reading Sunny's posts, I feel better. I thought I sucked at English just because mostly I can't really understand what Maria says.

=)

T-6005
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
This thread has caused a phrase to be stuck in my head for the past 2 hours.

Very whiny Victorian-era male voice.

"Doth my plebeian nattering offend thee, lady?"

Llamas
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
But given that I breeze thru 50 at that freerice voc test, that my bf - who's English and who's strolled around Cambridge uni in his day - says publicly I speak better than him (or ppl he knows for that matter), that everyone around me understands me perfectly - though indeed I seldom mention periwigs at work - I would venture to suggest you open the dictio once in a very long while. It doesn't hurt - though if your English were so bad as to need brushing up every millisecond, you might get carpal tunnel.

Maria, this post has so many grammatical problems that make it difficult to read.

First of all, one is never to begin a sentence with a conjunction, like "but".

Second of all, you misused hyphens nearly every time you used them. It should read more like,
"Given that I breeze through 50 points on the freerice vocabulary test; that my boyfriend, who's English and who's strollen around Cambridge Uni in his day, publicly says I speak better than he does (or people he knows, for that matter); and that everyone around me understands me perfectly (though indeed I seldom mention periwigs at work), I would venture to suggest you open the dictionary* once in a very long while. It doesn't hurt;* though, if your English was so bad as to need brushing up every millisecond, you might get carpal tunnel."

1* "Dictio" is not an acceptable abbreviation.

2* A hyphen could be used here, but a semi-colon is more proper and logical.

Also, you could have made this much more understandable had you split it into three sentences, rather than combining them into such a ridiculously long one.

Yes, I am aware this was pointless, but tell everyone here you're so much better than they at speaking English, while you're just plain not. Also, just because some guy is English and walked around Cambridge, that doesn't mean his English is automatically fantastic. He also might be just trying to be nice. So stop insulting people and telling them to open a dictionary; a dictionary doesn't explain to a person how to use grammar, anyway.

Rag Doll
02-15-2008, 06:24 PM
If we're going to use Cambridge as the end all be all judge of Maria's English speaking capability...

I studied there (not just "strolled" around) and pretty much agree with Sunnies.

Vera
02-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Being good at a language is not just about how well you've internalized rules of the grammar, the size of your vocabulary or your ableness to express yourself vocally. It's about when to use a certain type of language in a certain type of situation. To use slang and profanity in a job interview, for example, is not considered very appropriate. To use overly literal language when you're with friends, on the other hand, is also peculiar.

If you're writing a novel or an English essay, making full use of your vocabulary only makes sense. But when you're communicating with people more casually, on topics that don't really require specialized vocabulary or poetic vocabulary, using words that most people's daily vocabulary does not include, it's quite simply put assy behavior.

So while you think it makes you seem intelligent compared to plebians who say "drunk" as opposed to "inebriated" or "bacchanalian" or "half-seas-over" or any other colorful synonym, you're quite wrong; you're actually more likely going to come off as somebody who doesn't know how to use appropriate language in appropriate situations.

I'll be the first to admit my vocabulary is lacking. I should read more specialized texts, read Newsweek or something with a dictionary at hand, but I don't think I'm going to come off as the silly one if I refer to something as a "thing" for the lack of a better word, than you with your vocabulary masturbation.

wheelchairman
02-16-2008, 06:31 AM
This is like a Noodles is Gay reunion tour. Now we just need Mota Boy to pop in say and say it's a colloquialism.

Jakebert
02-16-2008, 09:56 AM
There's a kid in my math class who talks like Maria does. Everything is said in this cartoonishly over dramatic way, he uses slang from the 1800's, and he comes off as a total ass every time. Basically Maria, but just as unattractive.

SkunkIt
02-16-2008, 03:39 PM
....I would venture to suggest you open the dictio....

*Pulls out dictio

Cock Joke
02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
*Pulls out dick

Sorry! Sorry, I just had to. :D

Rag Doll
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
"Strolled around" = he got a master's in philosophy.

Maria, I figured he hadn't just walked around and looked at the architecture. ;p