PDA

View Full Version : Do you listen to music while doing schoolwork?

Wolfbutter
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
All of the time at study hall, I notice people doing their work while listening to music. This is impossible for me. When I'm listening to music, I always end up being distracted by it, or paying too much attention to it. I need it to be quiet so I can do my work, if my ears are being overloaded with sound it's hard for me to concentrate. I'm not really sure if this is a gift or a curse, but I notice others say they have to work with sounds in the backround. How do you fare?

Devconn88
02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I tried it but i found my self switching tracks constantly. I'd try instrumental music instead and at background noise volume

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Math? Of course.
Doing outlines? Of course.
Writing a speech, essay, or answering tough chemistry questions? Not so much.

This is pure music though. Can't say the same with TVs or noise from large groups of people.

wheelchairman
02-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah but I don't do schoolwork very much. And it's just paper writing.

Conspiracyof1000
02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, I do. In fact, I was listening to my MP3 during science today. It didn't distract me at all. Can't say the same thing for English, though.

jacknife737
02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
It depends what i'm doing; if its reading, then no, but if its writing papers, or just researching (ie skimming articles, making notes, etc) then yes.

WebDudette
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, that way I don't get distracted by other things. Like people talking to me or televison or something. When I listen to music I generally zone out and work on my stuff.

Endymion
02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
if i'm working alone, yes. often times we work in groups on the problems, though, in which case there is talking and now music listening.

iPunk247
02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
AbsoFUCKINGlutely, Yes. Shit it helps me loads with school stuff and except final exams though.

Camilamazed
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I cannot do schoolwork without music or tv...

Never figured out why.

=\

IamSam
02-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I used to, until I started reading for upper division classes with primary sources such as Tacitus, Livy, and other Romans.

Nicole
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I like my music too much that I get distracted by every cool lyric, neat guitar riff and nice bass line and tune in to that instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe I should switch to classical, I hear that keeps you on track.

It's not something I can afford to get distracted by with the level of study I'm doing, when it takes me so long just to read a page in my textbook because the level of biology has surpassed me and I can't read it without reading a sentence twice and having a medical dictionary handy for all those words that I have a vague recollection of what they actually mean.

Tijs
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I always listen to music while doing my homework. Only condition is that I can't listen to it through headphones, because that's too distracting. And when I do I play albums most of the times to avoid skipping tracks constantly.

A while ago I read an article (or heard about it on TV, can't remember) saying that listening to rock music has a good effect while doing your homework, but you must like rock.

edit: Oh, and no Dutch music because I tend to listen to the lyrics more.

Splinter[PI]
02-15-2008, 01:50 AM
I do, cause it keeps me working. If I don't listen to music, I type soooooo slow and think even slower. and if a song is fast, I work fast and type fast. :rolleyes:

holland25
02-15-2008, 01:51 AM
I do, cause when I don't listen to something I'm not able to remember what I'm learning... Weird, but it works.

batfish
02-15-2008, 05:02 AM
When I tried it, I couldn't think straight. Like Nicole, i got too wrapped up in the music.

The library at high school started playing classical music and it annoyed me no end. It was so distracting.

Smash punker
02-18-2008, 05:00 AM
I always do. Punk and loud:D most of the time through headphones because of my mother. She hates the music I listen to :D

Llamas
02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
When I was in school, I did. But I had specific music for it. Instrumental music is bad, because usually a lot more is going on in such music than in something with lyrics. I usually have to put on simple pop or rock music that I know really well. Then I might sing along and stuff, but I don't have to actively pay attention to know what's going on. If I put on something new that I don't know, I get distracted trying to learn it and hear what's going on.

PsychoticAndInsomniac
02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
It depends on what I'm working on. If it's all about doing anything 'mechanical', such as solving math problems or any kind of practical exercises, then I'll listen to music whenever I have the chance to. It won't bother me the slightest even if it's hard rock; quite the opposite, it will help me stay concentrated. However, if I must try to understand and/or memorize a bunch of pages, I pretty much prefer silence. At times I will put on some soft or instrumental music, though, Enya or Mike Oldfield work good for me.

GreenTerror
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I cannot listen to anything I know every word to. I get distracted by that way too easily. But I can't do anything in complete silence. Creeps me out :(

Dead Kennedy
02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
yeah,i do,but i choose,blues or "light" rock,so it calms me down

ad8
02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Actually, I can listen to music while I do my homework, but I think I'm more accurate without music. Basically, it depends on the kind of music I'm listening to. If it's rather passive and harmonic, I am working better than if I listen to some loud and more "active" music.

Duskygrin
02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Don't do schoolwork anymore, but the answer has always been no. Just no, I can't concentrate. Maybe some classical piano once in a while. But usually I need silence. I hate noise of any kind when I'm working.

GBH2
02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
i find i'm more apt to get distracted and space out without listening to music. yeah, i pretty much always listening to music on the occasion i decide to do my school work.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-19-2008, 03:11 AM
When I was in secondary school, yes. Oh God yes. Simply because I found a lot of the subjects so dull that I simply couldn't stare at the page without drifting off. Since I've moved on, all the studying I do is to do with subjects I find interesting, so I have no need for distraction.

barangatang
02-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I can listen to anything that doesn't have lyrics.