PDA

View Full Version : Fence-jumping

Autonomist
02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Tomorrow night in Sydney it's the annual Good Vibrations Festival. Kanye West, Cypress Hill, Pharaohe Monch, K-os, a whole lot of other great acts that I'd be devastated to miss out on. Being that the event is 18+ only and I'm still a couple of years shy of that I don't have a ticket, so I'm relying on jumping the fence with pretty much everyone I know.

My only other experience doing this was around a year ago, and though I did get into the venue and away from the guards chasing me I selfpwnt my wrist as I went over the fence and broke it. Instead of seeing the bands I'd come to I had to head off to hospital for x-rays and such. So my track record isn't exactly off to the best start.

What I wanna know in this thread is;
1) Does anyone have any tips that could be helpful to me?
2) What's likely to happen if I'm caught?
3) Anything else I should know etc.

And share your fence-jumping stories too I guess.

WebDudette
02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I've had no experience with fence jumping. Though I have had experience with going to 18+ shows. I rarely have anyone ask me, though I do look and dress older.

Nicole
02-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I've never tried fence jumping, I either have a ticket or just don't bother going. I've met a few people that have fence-jumped into the Big Day Out in Perth, their story was they did it in a big group and a few got caught but most of them made it in. The impression I get is that lots of people are good, expect a few to get done and leave that area immediately once you get inside and head straight into the crowd. Don't assume they aren't going to use barbed wire either, come prepared.

My favourite story of breaking into festivals are people that used the drain system in Adelaide to break into the Big Day Out at Wayville showgrounds, I believe they have a whole society of people who know the drain system and use it to get in, but I think somebody clued in and started covering the drains so nobody could use that method.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered, I have no clue what the consequences are and I hate fence jumping, I suck at it and once I get to the top I get scared the ground and my feet are going to meet in some horribly tragic way that means I break both my ankles.

SkunkIt
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Dammit, I thought this thread was about Mexicans!

Autonomist
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Though I have had experience with going to 18+ shows. I rarely have anyone ask me, though I do look and dress older.

Promoters are becoming more and more uptight over here, and the protocol for Good Vibrations (like many other festivals nowadays) is that you need to present them with photo I.D. at the door.

I've met a few people that have fence-jumped into the Big Day Out in Perth, their story was they did it in a big group and a few got caught but most of them made it in.

That's how a friend of mine got into Big Day Out last month (I think he was part of this mob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOH8YAI-09s)). So far that's my plan for tomorrow night, but it'd be good to have a back-up/more reliable idea in case I end up one of the few who gets nabbed.

My favourite story of breaking into festivals are people that used the drain system in Adelaide to break into the Big Day Out at Wayville showgrounds, I believe they have a whole society of people who know the drain system and use it to get in, but I think somebody clued in and started covering the drains so nobody could use that method.

Haha I saw this happen in 2005. We were waiting in line for food, and right in front of us the drain lids pop up and a couple of people lept out and ran off out of sight. A story I never tire of telling.

mrconeman
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Dammit, I thought this thread was about Mexicans!

win .

HornyPope
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
They're not going to catch you if you run really fast.

Practice fence jumping if you must, in your school or something. How else does one get better if not from practice? Freak accidents can happen anytime, but practice helps prepare for those unforseen consequances.

Good luck!

Amiralanal
02-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Get someone who is older than you to take you in with a wheelchair. Then you try to look as retarded as possible. Well inside you can ditch the chair.

RickyCrack
02-15-2008, 02:16 AM
the onely ppls that shuld b jumpnig fenses is niggas. ami rite??

:(((((((((im so rasitst.

Bazza
02-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Practice fence jumping if you must, in your school or something. How else does one get better if not from practice? Freak accidents can happen anytime, but practice helps prepare for those unforseen consequances.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038
+ pic:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35790&postcount=423

That was the outcome of trying to take a "short-cut" out of school.

wheelchairman
02-15-2008, 06:16 AM
DO NOT land on your heels. You'll pass out because the shock will go up through your spine. So land on the balls of your feet.

That's the only thing I could think of that you might want to know. I never tried it.

H1T_That
02-15-2008, 06:24 AM
The only advice i have is

Run very fast.
Like Per said, get a good landing when you jump over.
Try and stick in the middle of the crowd. People running ahead and stragglers will be the most likley to get caught out.

I've never actually done this, but i think what i said makes logical sense.

batfish
02-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I've never done this either, and I expect you've already thought about this but: clothing. Nothing baggy that will get caught on the fence when you jump down, but you might want to wear something that will slip off if someone grabs you. Mind you, that probably only works in films anyway...

Autonomist
02-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Well I didn't get in.

When we got to the venue me and my friends were surprised at the level of security applied to the place. Your average festival over here has one fence, maybe two if it's a monster one like Big Day Out. This festival had three, which is more than I've ever seen, and they stuck up a fourth one in the middle of the afternoon.

What really shocked me however, though perhaps it shouldn't, was the lenths the guards went to to stop people jumping in. We joined a mob who were going around the perimeter looking for weak spots, however out of the hundred something people in it I'd be surprised if more than a select lucky few of them got in. Police even went through crowds on horses, going at full speed and trying to trample anyone climbing the fence. When one guy jumped over and realised he wouldn't make it he tried to get out again, however the guards grabbed him, pulled his pants around his ankles, punched him a few times and shoved his face against the fence, shouting that they'd do worse to anyone else who tried to break in.

I at least got to sit outside and listen to Kanye's set. It was great. Best gig I've never been to. Also got to wave at Cypress Hill.

H1T_That
02-16-2008, 05:17 AM
I at least got to sit outside and listen to Kanye's set. It was great. Best gig I've never been to. Also got to wave at Cypress Hill.

Lol.

Sorry you never got in.

Nicole
02-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Well I didn't get in.

When one guy jumped over and realised he wouldn't make it he tried to get out again, however the guards grabbed him, pulled his pants around his ankles, punched him a few times and shoved his face against the fence, shouting that they'd do worse to anyone else who tried to break in.

This is why I'm not a big fan of security. Always attracts a lot of people who are on way too much of a power-trip. That entire sequence was quite illegal, minus the dude trying to break in. You're allowed to use reasonable force, you're not supposed to punch people. I hope that dude sues the pants off them.

Cock Joke
02-17-2008, 06:37 AM
1) Make sure it's one of those grated fences, obviously. Do not wear shoes while climbing them. In fact, don't even wear socks! Socks will be super slippery and shit. Do it bare foot, but make sure your feet aren't sweating.

2) To be honest with ya, you'll most likely go to jail. The best thing that will happen would be getting a fine or something. It would probably be more worth it for you if you just got a fake ID.

3) One time my friend and I waded across this river and we climbed three different fences. One after the other. What we got to was this incredibly weird, and probably semi-deserted factory area. We went in this grassy field and we saw a shack full of old Halloween decorations. Freaky stuff! On our way back home we saw a sign that said: "No trespassing! Violators will be prosecuted!" That was fucking scary considering we saw a worker over there!!!