02-19-2008, 06:34 AM
I like this alot.

Sunny
02-19-2008, 06:42 AM
aww, how cute.

you'll grow out of it, hopefully soon.

Smash punker
02-19-2008, 06:46 AM
I chose punk of course :D so I mean that Punk is not trendy at all these days.

Lodat225
02-19-2008, 06:46 AM
those small faces crack me up.

especially the :eek: one. eek!

0r4ng3
02-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Disco? Oh man, this is too good.

Smash punker
02-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah, maybe in the 70s:D

Jakebert
02-19-2008, 07:01 AM
This is quite the excellent thread.

Endymion
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
FUCK YEAH MAN! punk rawk is where it's at!
\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
death to the trendies!

Nicole
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't see how joining a group of people who have similar interests, dress similar and have similar interests isn't being some subgroup kind of 'trendy asshole'. My 14 year old self would probably kill me over this statement but luckily I'm slightly less embarrassing myself every year.

Sunny
02-19-2008, 07:13 AM
yeah, for srs. belonging to a subculture is a form of conformity too.

Vera
02-19-2008, 07:28 AM
As to not repeat myself, but to still repeat myself, I'll just link to this thing I wrote way back when (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=869822&postcount=54).

Andy
02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Oh God, I remember when I had a brief period being like that. Granted, I was never "punk" as that style (and that's all it is) is terrible. I hated the "trendies" and "jocks" of my school though. Pretty embarrassing stuff looking back at it now.

Nicole
02-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Ha, did "cool to hate" get into your head too?

I have to wonder if I'd be a less cynical and judgmental person if I hadn't fallen into the trap of the whole phenomena. Definitely had it's value and probably saved me a ton of money on crap I didn't need but thought I had to have, but overall it was still kind of dumb. Luckily there's a whole plethora of literature relating to the finding of ones identity in teenage years but seeing people that remind me of myself kind of make me cringe even though I'm starting to think more along the lines of- oh how cute they'll get over it.

Andy
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
So who are trendies right now?
Disco

Hang on, what? Disco? If Disco is the new trend then I'm fucking on board.

Conspiracyof1000
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
not being trendy is being at school right now and not working. :D
I'm such a slacker!

Sidewinder
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh God, I remember when I had a brief period being like that. Granted, I was never "punk" as that style (and that's all it is) is terrible. I hated the "trendies" and "jocks" of my school though. Pretty embarrassing stuff looking back at it now.
I still don't like most of them in mine, but that's because they're genuine dicks and I wouldn't like them regardless of whatever sub culture I was thrust into.

But yeah.

PUNK FUCK YEAH \M/ \M/ RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWK ON

BREAK
02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
yeah, for srs. belonging to a subculture is a form of conformity too.

I'll go you one further.

If you have ANY friends, anybody to talk to at ALL, you ARE a trendy conformist asshole.

Part of socialization is concealing the whole truth of who you are. No matter how cool and tolerant you think the people you hang out with are, I guarantee that you ARE hiding some shit from them, you're holding something back, you're tailoring your personality to what you think THEY will like better, if not outright fucking lying every chance you get.

Take it, because if you're not totally friendless, you ain't no fucking individual. Enjoy being phony, fucker.

Sidewinder
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
http://boles.com/called/07/coflag10.jpg

Rebels4life! Fuck the system! Down with the government!

H1T_That
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
wot BREAK sed!!!!!1

Andy
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I would agree with what BREAK said, but that would make me a conformist :(

ad8
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Part of socialization is concealing the whole truth of who you are. No matter how cool and tolerant you think the people you hang out with are, I guarantee that you ARE hiding some shit from them, you're holding something back, you're tailoring your personality to what you think THEY will like better, if not outright fucking lying every chance you get.

Take it, because if you're not totally friendless, you ain't no fucking individual. Enjoy being phony, fucker.

I think that there is still the very rare case of knowing someone with whom you really share a passion for something. If you feel related to this person because of that one thing and argue over most of the other things, then you can still be true. This is what I'd define as real friendship. But generally I agree with Break, which makes me a trendy asshole :D

Cock Joke
02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Ha! Disco as a current trend? I'd sure hate to see that day, lemme tell ya.

WebDudette
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't fucking breathe, all you trendy asshole are doing it now days.

Vera
02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I think breathing and consuming food sort of sold out 400 AD. I still remember when it was only four of us punks hanging out just breathin' and eatin'.

Just as well. I still like both things, but I hate everybody who does them. :mad:

JohnnyNemesis
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
But why would anyone do that?

Sunny
02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
"trrrendy"? it sounds like something a creepy eastern european MTV presenter would say.

not cool.

calichix
02-20-2008, 12:38 AM
"Trendy" is an awesome word if only you roll the r.

"trrrendy"? it sounds like something a creepy eastern european MTV presenter would say.

not cool.

so, I might still be a little loopy from early evening festivities, but this interaction made me giggle for like 5 full minutes.

JohnnyNemesis
02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I actually love some Disco and would welcome an honest return...

Modern disco is awesome by the way. Did you hear Daft Punk's "Discovery" album? That's just a taste. A delicious taste. Mmm.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-20-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.thedvddude.com/gallery/data/504/1SaturdayNightFever_300x298-thumb.jpg

Damn trendy asshole.

Revolver-2005?
02-20-2008, 03:40 AM
not being trendy is being at school right now and not working. :D
I'm such a slacker!

Yeah fuck school, I don't need to lern.

Smash punker
02-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Ha! Disco as a current trend? I'd sure hate to see that day, lemme tell ya.

well, Disco trendies are everywhere in my fucking country. If you are at high school then youre so screwed.:D Trust me.

Smash punker
02-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Modern Disco sucks! Disco sucks! Disco clubs everywhere, sucks!:mad: :D And Punk-rock rocks the way:cool: :D

Cock Joke
02-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Modern Disco sucks! Disco sucks! Disco clubs everywhere, sucks!:mad: :D And Punk-rock rocks the way:cool: :D

You got that right! Rock on!!!

Splinter[PI]
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
fuck the trends.

almost everyone of my friends doesn't give a damn about trends. All of them are individual, and I just don't know anyone who listens to fucking trendy stuff, they listen what they like, and if it is getting trendy in some way, they will keep listening it, because it's THEIR style. You are a trendy asshole if you try to be like you think the world will like you. And if someone says that offspring is crap, I won't agree for being liked by someone. Well my friends do it sometimes, but it's all in a jokey way, everyone declares everyones music shit.

Sunny
02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
;1082425']You are a trendy asshole if you try to be like you think the world will like you.

wow, you're either very young or very stupid.

DirtyYeso
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I'll go you one further.

If you have ANY friends, anybody to talk to at ALL, you ARE a trendy conformist asshole.

Well, I agree with this post. But I do think there is someone who I can be totally me with without concealing anything. It's all about finding the right people to hang out with...

Btw, being anti-trends is also a trend if anyone didn't know that...

EDIT: LOL, I guess that was trendy, haha

JohnnyNemesis
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
;1082425']fuck the trends.

almost everyone of my friends doesn't give a damn about trends. All of them are individual, and I just don't know anyone who listens to fucking trendy stuff, they listen what they like, and if it is getting trendy in some way, they will keep listening it, because it's THEIR style. You are a trendy asshole if you try to be like you think the world will like you. And if someone says that offspring is crap, I won't agree for being liked by someone. Well my friends do it sometimes, but it's all in a jokey way, everyone declares everyones music shit.

You're all being extremely trendy.

Superdope
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I love everything about this thread. <3

WebDudette
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I am 100% fr srs here. When your best friend is a totally different person because h is with a different group of people, it really pisses you off.

Sunny
02-20-2008, 11:50 AM
but dude, would you say you're the exact same person around your boss, your grandma, your girlfriend and your male friends?

i mean, don't we all adjust the way we act based on the situation we're in?

WebDudette
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes, but we don't pretend to like things/music we have never heard of.

By different group of people I mean different group of friends. If it was his parent or teachers or something I would understand.

Rag Doll
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I am 100% fr srs here. When your best friend is a totally different person because h is with a different group of people, it really pisses you off.

i can agree with this and with Sunnies to a degree.

i *definitely* see someone acting one way around a friend and a different way around great aunt Sally. however. my very very close friend (friends for 10+ years now), is an entirely different person with her friends than with her boyfriend. with her boyfriend, she changes who she is so much. and they've been together 2 years, and she still can't be herself. it's like she is afraid she'll say something he doesn't like and he'll leave her. they're talking about getting married. how can you marry someone and just....never be yourself for the rest of your life? =\

mrconeman
02-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh, it can't be that hard. Women done it all through the 50's.

iPunk247
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Im not trendy asshole,
do what I want,
do what I feel like :D

So who are trendies right now?
Disco, EMO, PUNK, METAL....?:eek:

Not my cup of teat nor float on that boat. It was never ever my forte :cool:

Rag Doll
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh, it can't be that hard. Women done it all through the 50's.

ohgroan ;p

barangatang
02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Not my cup of teat

Explain this, please.

iPunk247
02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
oops my bad :o

i meant to say tea [typo]

Smash punker
02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Its awesome about what is going on right here!:D

iPunk247
02-21-2008, 12:44 AM
smash

Head over heals Ive fit in before
Now I dont want to do it no more
Ive held it all in with blood on my face
Built it up man so bad you can taste
I dont slag no one
I dont even judge
Dont give a shit cause Im not gonna budge
I just want to be who I want to be
Guess thats hard for others to see
Im not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
Im not a trendy asshole
I dont give a fuck if its good enough for you
Cause Im alive
Smash is the way you feel all alone
Like an outcast youre out on your own
Smash is the way you deal with your life
Like an outcast youre smashing your strife
Head over heals Ive fit in before
Now I dont want to do it no more
I just want to be who I want to be
Guess thats hard for others to see

the offspring

Smash punker
02-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah. S.M.A.S.H. Great album and great song!:cool: good you have put here the whole song.

MrJoe
02-21-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd put money on Smash punker & iPunk247 on being the same person...

Smash punker
02-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Interesting :D but you are really wrong:) Sorry:cool: Disappointed?

wheelchairman
02-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I'll go you one further.

I disagree with you. You're exaggerating the term conformity to fit almost any possible action and making it applicable to anyone. In tandem with this you mystify individuality, as if individuality was dualistic (or even pluralistic). As if a person should have the same reaction to every system, as if individuality was the simplification of a person to certain base characteristics.

In this case, you are going too far. I would say the line of conformity should be drawn at claiming you like something you despise in order to gain social acceptance. In fact, that seems far more reasonable to me. And less hypocritical and vague as the punk definition that conformity is "compromising individuality in order to become 'normal'."

Now not telling everyone everything all the time simply doesn't happen for many reasons. You can say it's for socialization, but I think socialization isn't necessarily the hiding of yourself, but that socialization only re-prioritizes the information you volunteer. Perhaps exaggerates certain feelings (like, I *really* like Pantera, instead of moderately or whatever). But I wouldn't call that hypocritical to any non-conformists out there. The hypocrisy lies in actively lying (as opposed to not volunteering information), stuff like that. Not that I'm a great believer in individuality. The real conformity (and I'm not just talking about teenagers, because that's unfair to them) lies with people who have no confidence (and thus change themselves to be more palatable), ambitious social-ladder climbers, etc. People who are very self-conscious of their place in social hierarchies. For example Sam's friend she mentioned seems pretty pathetic, but she probably has pretty low self esteem.

Llamas
02-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I totally agree with you, Per. There certainly are things about me that even my closest friends don't know. But it's not because I lie about them, or select to not tell them. It's just that there's never a great time to bring it up. Most of my friends don't know that I post on an offspring message board. It's not because omg if they knew, they wouldn't be my friend... it's because I've never had a conversation that created a logical time to say "yeah so on this Offspring message board I post on..." There isn't anything I selectively hide from my friends. And I agree with Per that conformity's line is probably drawn at pretending to love something you despise.

BREAK
02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
In this case, you are going too far. I would say the line of conformity should be drawn at claiming you like something you despise in order to gain social acceptance.

But you have to make exceptions even in this case. Like, if my mother-in-law cooks us a big dinner and I hate every single bite, I can still smile and say I like it without necessarily betraying my own sense of good taste. But it sounds like what you're talking about is culture. Even then, I would argue that everybody does a little bit of what you're talking about.

Sometimes it's necessary to put up with certain things in order to maintain harmony in the relationship. Now this doesn't mean you're lying to yourself or anybody else what you really think, but insofar as you are resisting your impulse to turn that shit off and loudly berate anyone who enjoys it like you know you really want to deep inside, it's unspoken approval at best. Because openly mocking what someone else likes doesn't really get you anywhere socially, it's wisest in most cases to keep your opinions to yourself.

This has nothing to do with my original point, however, which was that all human interactions require some degree of deception. I'm not saying it's a conscious choice, or that it SHOULD be avoided (I think it's obvious that my post was at least partly tongue-in-cheek, but whatever), just that we're all guilty of it in one way or another. In other words, nobody just does "what they want" or "what they feel like" because you HAVE to suppress shit to survive. And since wanting acceptance seems to be basic human nature, no one should be faulted for their conformist behavior, unless it somehow hurts another person.

Sunny
02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
i agree with Sam that if you completely alter who you are just so someone will like you, it's pretty pathetic and you're living a lie.

the original point we disagreed with is that "lols trupunx don't try to fit in". thing is, unless i'm just totally off my rocker, it seems to me that most people play up the traits they think will gain them the most social acceptance. if i'm with my snowboarder friends, i won't be playing up my girly-girl side or gushing about a sample sale... you know? it's not that i'm *lying*, but i'm subconsciously editing out a part of my personality i know wouldn't resonate with that social circle. and even if you consider yourself "trupunx", you probably still edit what you say (consciously or not), perhaps in order to make yourself appear more hardcore/punx/not a trendy asshole. y'know?

also, Per, if we're using your definition of conformity... sometimes you have to put up with things or opinions you don't like because you don't want to start an argument. sometimes you pretend you like someone's cooking, outfit or haircut in order not to hurt their feelings. i don't go around telling people "wow, you look absolutely hideous" even if they ask how they look. and even in close relationships, sometimes not saying anything and putting up with certain things is the best thing to do. does that make one a conformist? really now.

i suppose everyone has a different definition of conformity, but to me, it is absolutely ridiculous to claim that you are a TRUPUNX 100% individual who claims not to try to fit in and not give a shit about social norms. 9.5 times out of 10, it's simply not true. it's one thing not to live up to mainstream social standards in terms of acceptable behavior or dress, and more power to ya, but to claim "only trendies try2fit in" is hypocritical and immature at best.
i believe in individuality, but at the end of the day, we're pack animals, and most of the time we do what we can to stay on good terms with our "pack". singling out the trendies, to me, means that you're totally in denial.

Nicole
02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I have to agree with you there Sunny. For a while I was wondering why the hell I seem to show a different side of myself with all my different friends and behave mildly different with all of them, but its really just reacting to other peoples personalities and just doing things that mesh and things you have in common. On some level it's trying to fit in but you're not really changing yourself at all, we're not one dimensional creatures.

iPunk247
02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah. S.M.A.S.H. Great album and great song!:cool: good you have put here the whole song.

Hell Fucking Shit Yeah Yo ! \m/ >< \m/

iPunk247
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I'd put money on Smash punker & iPunk247 on being the same person...

Yo, dude I am a chick and nope man keep ya goddamn money. \m/ >< \m/

iPunk247
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Interesting :D but you are really wrong:) Sorry:cool: Disappointed?

100% indeed. \m/ >< \m/

GreenTerror
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
ANARKYYYYY!!! :mad: :mad: :eek: :D

HeadAroundU
02-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I'll go you one further.

Lol, that's absolutist, absurd, ridiculous and disgusting.

Do you also believe that everybody is an idiot to some extent?

wheelchairman
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you, I simply think you put an overly bleak definition of everything, and I don't agree with that. However you went from saying conformist, to conformist-like. Which is a pretty big trade off there. Especially when "not turning off music you don't like" is a "sign of acceptance." I disagree with that completely. You took a situation, and then flipped it on it's head to make it coincide with what you are saying. Not saying anything is also fine. Or saying a number of other things. I find it an incredible stretch to say that not turning off music you don't like is a sign of acceptance. That's quite simply ridiculous.

However you said that was not your main point, so I will focus on your main point, that all human interaction contains some degree of deception.

I don't really disagree with the fact that to be charming, you got to compliment certain things in order not to piss people off. That's part of manners and charms. Calling it conformism is simply ridiculous. (and actually that was your main point I think, at least the one you stated.) So really you were wrong about conformism, but you were right about charm and white lies (which was actually a rather obvious point to make.)

the original point we disagreed with is that "lols trupunx don't try to fit in". thing is, unless i'm just totally off my rocker, it seems to me that most people play up the traits they think will gain them the most social acceptance. if i'm with my snowboarder friends, i won't be playing up my girly-girl side or gushing about a sample sale... you know? it's not that i'm *lying*, but i'm subconsciously editing out a part of my personality i know wouldn't resonate with that social circle. and even if you consider yourself "trupunx", you probably still edit what you say (consciously or not), perhaps in order to make yourself appear more hardcore/punx/not a trendy asshole. y'know?
Actually that was mostly what I mean when I started talking about individuality being pluralistic. But wait... there's more:

also, Per, if we're using your definition of conformity... sometimes you have to put up with things or opinions you don't like because you don't want to start an argument. sometimes you pretend you like someone's cooking, outfit or haircut in order not to hurt their feelings. i don't go around telling people "wow, you look absolutely hideous" even if they ask how they look. and even in close relationships, sometimes not saying anything and putting up with certain things is the best thing to do. does that make one a conformist? really now.
Actually, no I agree with you. But you've made me realize that I was unfair to Break. I defined his version of conformity for him (but he hasn't yet told me that I was unfair to his defnition, however he might have forgotten to or whatever.) However like Break pointed out, and like I agreed (lol by not negating it), I was speaking mostly about cultural things (culture as in music, not culture as in definitions of manners). So no Sunny, I don't think that's being a conformist. In fact what I dislike about Break and your opinion is that you define small talk, charm, and manners as a form of conformity. And you do not discern from greater "deceptions) (such as openly opposing music, art, whatever you dislike in order not to have people judge you for disagreeing with their accepted standards.) you know, that sounds like conformity to me. Not these extreme situations you pull things out into. Like the eternal "do I look fat in this?" debate.

i suppose everyone has a different definition of conformity, but to me, it is absolutely ridiculous to claim that you are a TRUPUNX 100% individual who claims not to try to fit in and not give a shit about social norms. 9.5 times out of 10, it's simply not true. it's one thing not to live up to mainstream social standards in terms of acceptable behavior or dress, and more power to ya, but to claim "only trendies try2fit in" is hypocritical and immature at best.
i believe in individuality, but at the end of the day, we're pack animals, and most of the time we do what we can to stay on good terms with our "pack". singling out the trendies, to me, means that you're totally in denial.
Oh I agree with this. (I also haven't met many punks who are over 20, and it's not really very fair to judge teenagers for their attitudes when it comes to this. It's new grounds for them. They are literally just discovering it). But I don't agree with the last part, you are putting words into my mouth for some reason. I actually said I don't believe in individuality (so then how could I deny my trupunxness?). I just disagree with saying that the smallest "wrong" (a white lie) is equivalent to lying about your tastes in culture (wording that carefully to avoid confusion). Unless there are times where you are forced as an adult to lie about your tastes and stuff. Perhaps you would be, you do work in that kind of industry where I imagine people would be very judgemental, I don't know.

It's just a matter of how much you want to black and white things. As I said to Break, I believe Kant would have agreed with you (and as I said to Break, I only got that definition from Maria.) I just think that shades of gray do exist, and that they offer more reasonable views of things in this situation.

I have to agree with you there Sunny. For a while I was wondering why the hell I seem to show a different side of myself with all my different friends and behave mildly different with all of them, but its really just reacting to other peoples personalities and just doing things that mesh and things you have in common. On some level it's trying to fit in but you're not really changing yourself at all, we're not one dimensional creatures.
lol what I said in my first paragraph to my first post to break.