PDA

View Full Version : How come...

barangatang
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
How come every time I listen to my cd player in public people give me weird looks? Is it that preposterous to own a cd player? Jeez.

Cock Joke
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
They must think "Whoa. What a really big ipod!"

JohnnyNemesis
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Ha! Zaggy just made me laugh.

Also:

How come, we don't even talk no more
And you don't even call no more
We don't barely keep in touch at all
And I don't even feel the same love when we hug no more
And I heard it through the grapeviiiine we even beefin' now
After all the years we been down
Aint no way no how, this bullshit can't be true
We family; aint a damn thing changed, unless it's you!

Faded_Ghost
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
How come every time I listen to my cd player in public people give me weird looks? Is it that preposterous to own a cd player? Jeez.
I have a cd player..it keeps my tea cup off my desk....

Rag Doll
02-20-2008, 05:59 PM
it must be weird. my boyfriend found his old one and was like...all shocked that people could ever use them.

jacknife737
02-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I still use mine on occasion, but only really around the house if my mp3 player is re-charging.

iPunk247
02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I rarely use my iPods but I mainly use old school stuff like my portable cd players and cassettes; vhs and the new school stuff it is pretty neat though...i' am more of an old fashioned type of gal. Tech is so HOT and me likey. teehee

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-21-2008, 03:19 AM
I still use my CD player a lot, because I'm really behind the times and never got around to buying an MP3 player. 4srs. But I wear big ol' leather coats with big pockets, so nobody really sees it.

Jakebert
02-21-2008, 06:31 AM
I use my CD player a lot. I just like CD's more than listening to my iPod.

Sunny
02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Also:

way to beat me to it, dick cake.

anyway... i don't even have a cd player anymore. i'm not really into cds (i lose/get them scratched up) and i vastly prefer my phone/ipod because it's like... 1/5th the size of a cd player.

Vera
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a cd player but it's at my dad's and not in use. But in case all my iPods funk out one day, it's good to have it there so if I do need it, I can still carry some music with me.

I even have a cassette walkman stashed somewhere. How's that for old school?

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
So do I Sanni, though it doesn't work. I've got a Beautiful South greatest hits tape, too. My old school > your old school.

Nina
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I used my walkman only 2 years ago. Which was funny because my cassette recorder broke like 8 years ago and all I had left was Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera's first CD, Blink 182 and the like.

BREAK
02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
What the fuck.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/J_Rock/100-0059_IMG.jpg
You all are fail.

wheelchairman
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Naturally I have a stereo that plays cd's. Most people still do I think.

However it's not weird at all that you have a discman, and I don't believe you get weird looks on the streets. Or if you do, you're either

1.) imagining it
2.) getting weird looks for another reason that is not the discman.

Also discmans suck, every one i've ever owned had the exact same problem, they would skip a beat if you moved to much (which defeats the purpose of having a portable cd player). Discman is sooo fail.

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
way to beat me to it, dick cake.

I don't even feel the same love when we hug no more :mad: :mad: :mad:

My immortal
02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Ha! Zaggy just made me laugh.

Also:

And you don't even call no more
We don't barely keep in touch at all
And I don't even feel the same love when we hug no more
And I heard it through the grapeviiiine we even beefin' now
After all the years we been down
Aint no way no how, this bullshit can't be true
We family; aint a damn thing changed, unless it's you!

Haha, I thought about that same song when I read the title of this thread.

barangatang
02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
2.) getting weird looks for another reason that is not the discman.

I live in Florence, so yeah, It may just be how blatantly American looking I am.
I do notice however, that whenever I am listening to my player in public, the odd looks are amplified.

Llamas
02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I have two portable CD players still, but somehow the battery ports on them got messed up and now batteries leak acid in them. Otherwise I'd still use them now and then.

Also discmans suck, every one i've ever owned had the exact same problem, they would skip a beat if you moved to much (which defeats the purpose of having a portable cd player). Discman is sooo fail.

Wow, you've had some really shitty portable CD players. I had three over the course of time, and they were all to the point where I could go for a mile run while listening to it without them skipping.

wheelchairman
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
The more recent ones I bought (which I guess was like 4 years ago or something) had like "anti skip" technology or something. Stupid liar faces.

Andy
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM

You sure it's just not too loud?

MrJoe
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Ugh, people who have their music excessively loud and listen to rap or r 'n' b drive me fucking mad. I like a bit of rap and r 'n' b, but when you can only hear the tinny drum beat or whatever it can just make me angry.

Jakebert
02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I have to agree there. Before I got my driver's license and had to ride the bus to school, there was a kid who listened to rap really loud on his headphones, and all you could hear was the drumbeat. It got very annoying after a while.

Wolfbutter
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I think ANYTHING that is played loud is annoying, through headphones. A rap beat is annoying, but so is loud guitar screeching. Basically, I don't want to hear anything that they are playing.

Unfortunetly, I have gotten to the point where I need to turn my ipod almost full blast to even enjoy it anymore, so I have to be careful that others can't hear it. So I don't really listen in public.

wheelchairman
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah anything is bad. But it's nothing compared to cellphones with built in loud speakers. NOW that's ANNOYING.

Camilamazed
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
The only thing I don't like about discmans is that there's no way of carrying a lot of music, if you know what I mean. This is a good use for my CDs, which differently from Sunny, I adore. But still, carrying lots of CDs is not a good thing.

T-6005
02-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Definitely more aggravating when middle school kids think it makes them cool to sing along to their music while playing it on their cell phones. It makes me want to send them to Alaska.

MrJoe
02-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Or worse still, when they've done that, but thought it'd be funny to get a fucking megaphone so they broadcast the awful, tinny sound all around them. Had that in town the other day, was awful.

arak0r
02-22-2008, 04:18 AM
sadly i rarely even use my mp3 player anymore, thanks to having a phone with mp3 playing capabilities (comes with a gig of storage as well). mind you, i only listen to it with my headphones attached, unless i decide to scare some uptight white people with the geto boys

ruroken
02-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I have to agree there. Before I got my driver's license and had to ride the bus to school, there was a kid who listened to rap really loud on his headphones, and all you could hear was the drumbeat. It got very annoying after a while.
There's always at least one person doing that on every bus.

MrJoe
02-22-2008, 07:35 AM
One of the many joys of driving a car is avoiding annoyances like that.

Andy
02-22-2008, 07:53 AM
It really annoys me. It's completely pointless having your music player so loud.

ruroken
02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
That's not true. They might want to destroy their eardrums.

Llamas
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I find it annoying when people have their music so loud, but as a person who has terrible hearing, there have been times when I was with friends on a long train ride or car ride where I had my music going, and to me it wasn't loud... but they'd end up making comments about what I was listening to. I've never done it intentionally... I just have really bad hearing and have to blast my music in order to hear it. Nowadays, when I have the option, I'll usually bring my stereo headphones instead of earbuds, because the sound quality is so much better that I can hear what's going on in the music without having to blast it.

However, I'm positive that only like 3% of cases of overly loud music are similar to mine. Most of the time, people are really just douches. But I try very hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when it happens, because it really sucks that people probably sometimes think I'm just trying to be a douche.

wheelchairman
02-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Also if you have shitty headphones the sound escapes easier.

Drafan
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Get the biggest available CD player, donīt care about the strange looking people, letīs hit the road! And play The Offspring on it, of course. ;)

Jakebert
02-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I've been seriously considering getting a nice record player and starting a vinyl collection. Records look so cool, and sound much better than CD's and MP3's.

SkunkIt
02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I use my CD player a lot. I just like CD's more than listening to my iPod.

What he said. CD players> MP3 player

I want another record player but never have enough money to buy it.

Llamas
02-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I've been seriously considering getting a nice record player and starting a vinyl collection. Records look so cool, and sound much better than CD's and MP3's.

I love records and their sound. They sound the best by far. And CDs sound way better than MP3s. The only reason I haven't gotten a record player and records is because I hate having STUFF. I'm trying to simplify my life, and I'm getting rid of stuff. Record players take up so much room and aren't really practical... and you need so much room to store records. Otherwise I'd totally get one. Good ones really sound superb.

killer_queen
02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Brianna, right now I seriously wish I could be like you. A lot of people at your age aren't so mature like you.

Llamas
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
lol I can't tell if you're serious or if you're mocking me :o

killer_queen
02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm serious. I realized that it sounded like I'm joking, that's why I added the word seriously in my post.

Unlike you I love having stuff. Especially nowadays, I spend ridiculous amounts of money for useless things to make myself happy. And I know it's pathetic because they make me kind of happy because my life is so empty. I wish I had the power to start to simplify my life but I'm just too weak for it.

Jakebert
02-23-2008, 07:20 PM
The only thing I spend an excessive amount of money on is music. Music, to me, is just as essential as food, shelter, ect. So spending money on music related things is fine with me. Outside of that, though, I do dislike having a lot of stuff.

Llamas
02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm serious. I realized that it sounded like I'm joking, that's why I added the word seriously in my post.

Unlike you I love having stuff. Especially nowadays, I spend ridiculous amounts of money for useless things to make myself happy. And I know it's pathetic because they make me kind of happy because my life is so empty. I wish I had the power to start to simplify my life but I'm just too weak for it.

I don't think that makes you weak, though. One difference is that you don't come from a country of excess like I do. I feel like here, having tons of stuff is just so common that it doesn't mean anything. It's easy to come by tons of crap you don't need, because it's cheap and accessible. I think it's probably different in a country where acquiring stuff and having basements full of crap you'll never use is not the norm.

I don't think buying stuff means your life is empty, either. I've found that, when I'm bored with life, I buy things. I buy things I don't need, just because I'm bored and need something to do, so I go shopping. If I'm happy with my life at the time, I don't buy things. It's not that my life is empty at those times, it's just that I go through different stages. I bet there are times in your life when buying this is more or less satisfying than other times, aren't there?