PDA

View Full Version : Work Excuses

loud_noises!
02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
What are some good excuses, or just excuses you've used before that actually have worked, that have gotten you out of work?

I'm one of those paranoid people who likes to have an excuse and a story to back it up.

Anyway, so just post any excuse you think would work.

Cock Joke
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
"Death in the family" will forever do the trick!

CON: Just make sure you do NOT use the same family member twice!!!

loud_noises!
02-21-2008, 08:17 PM

CON: Just make sure you do NOT use the same family member twice!!!

haha, no doubt it would work. but thats one fucking extreme excuse. people ask too many questions...but i spose you could just be like "i dont feel like talking about it...it might make tears come out this face"

but that is a good one if you can play it off well.

wheelchairman
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Old jokes.

I usually say that I'm ill. It works for me. But my workplace is cool.

Endymion
02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
on the rag.

Nicole
02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I really hate skipping work because it means missing out on the money and I need it, and I know from experience even working one down is a nightmare. So most of my excuses are true

- Had to take mum to the hospital because the cat stuck her claw through her eyelid and she hasn't had a tetanus shot and we don't know if the cat struck the eyeball because I can't get a good look.
- Really bad flu, sorry can't come in.
- Have to get the dog put down right now and I'm due in in 2 hours, it took me by surprise I thought we could just come back tomorrow. The Registered Nurse then told me she was going to kill me.
- Migraine (not true but nobody ever questions them).

Sunny
02-22-2008, 08:16 AM
"my dog ate a bottle of Omega-3 fatty acids and won't stop throwing up".

it actually happened and it sounds so gross no one asks any questions.

MrJoe
02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
"I used all my sick days up, so I called in Dead"

nieh
02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
"I'm sick"

Nina
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm an asshole who works even when sick. And at the same time I curse under my breath when people do the same and infect me as well. Ah well. Each of these situations only happened once though.
Back in school I'd just say I'm sick and go home. That was easy.

Faded_Ghost
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Stress is one of the most common cos its so dificult to prove.

Andy
02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I used to phone in sick all the time for my old weekend part-time jobs when I was still at school. As they all involved food in some way, the classic D&V was a surefire hit.

However, now I'm working a full-time job I never do that (unless I'm legitimately ill, of course).

Llamas
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
"my dog ate a bottle of Omega-3 fatty acids and won't stop throwing up".

it actually happened and it sounds so gross no one asks any questions.
lol wtf that does sound disgusting. Poor thing. :(

I'm an asshole who works even when sick. And at the same time I curse under my breath when people do the same and infect me as well. Ah well. Each of these situations only happened once though.
Back in school I'd just say I'm sick and go home. That was easy.
haha me too! Last month, I got super sick and can't stand the boredom of staying home for days at a time, so I went to work anyway. I felt like shit and ended up having to go home early, but this gave me way more satisfaction than not going in at all. Then this other girl came in coughing like crazy, and I got so mad at her and told her to go the fuck home.

Stress is one of the most common cos its so dificult to prove.
Most jobs will not let you skip work because you're stressed. No job I've ever had accepted that as an excuse. I tried it once when I was 19 and working for Target, too. The manager said, "Well, maybe you need to rethink whether or not this is the right job for you," and basically hinted toward firing me. Bad idea.

These days, I really never call in anymore. For one of my jobs, it's WAY too much of a hassle, and I only work an hour at a time for $30... so if I just go work for an hour, which is pretty easy to do, I make the money. And if I decide not to go, it's actually a big hassle for me to find someone to go teach my class for me. So I'd much rather go teach it.

As for my other job, I've called in twice since September, and they were both because I was really truly sick. I went in the one day feeling terrible, and had to go home because I actually couldn't function. And then I called in two days because it was just awful. But when my coworkers will call in for shit reasons (especially when I know they were out drinking the night before), it pisses me off enough that I've grown to just work my shifts. I've had managers say to people, "If you're a frequent flyer of the call-in, we'll start giving your shifts away, because what you're telling us is that you don't want to work very much, and there are a lot of people who want those hours." That's very true, and that's usually reason enough for me to not call in.

Sunny
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
lol wtf that does sound disgusting. Poor thing. :(

it was absolutely vile. my entire apartment smelled like fish oil for the longest time. ughhhhhh.

Nicole
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I've had managers say to people, "If you're a frequent flyer of the call-in, we'll start giving your shifts away, because what you're telling us is that you don't want to work very much, and there are a lot of people who want those hours." That's very true, and that's usually reason enough for me to not call in.

I had that happen to me when I rang up my manager and explained how for one night I chose to do this Uni thing where we come in and show potential students around because it looked good on our resume and we were going to get a letter to explain how fantastic we were to future employers and it was a one of... she then proceeded to give me way less shifts and when I asked her why, that was her explanation (I was calling in sick all the time supposedly, she was new and had no idea how many hours I put into that damn place). I do the same thing and work until it's just not possible for me to be able to stand up because I'm just too sick and I just drop by the chemist first so I can mask my symptoms and not be contagious.

Rag Doll
02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
i rarely call out. recently, i've only called out because i was in the hospital (or should have been, but was allowed to take ridiculously strong meds at home instead) and my cat died. if i was going to call out when i wasnt actually sick, i just told them my period was really bad....cause all the head bosses were men, so they wouldn't dare question it. and now that i have a full-time job where i need to make a certain number of hours a week and only have very limited sick days....i can't call out at alls.

My immortal
02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
umm, not really. Most companys will ask for some sort of document to know if your making it up or not.

Sunny
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
dude, my DOG died and my boss was like "omg are you sure you want to stay? do you want to go home?".

pffft. no one asks for documentation unless they're huge assholes. o lol i just suffered a death in the family let me give u their death certificate! come on now.

then again, using death in the family as an excuse (if it's not true) is a dick move.

My immortal
02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
then again, using death in the family as an excuse (if it's not true) is a dick move.

Exactly, I used that as an excuse last year so I could use up my personnal time.

Faded_Ghost
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Exactly, I used that as an excuse last year so I could use up my personnal time.
You can't use it too much i guess....

Otherwise they'd be like.....
Um how can you have 17 grandparents...........

Bazza
02-22-2008, 09:40 PM
My best one was last year (in terms of convincingness, does such a word exist?!). I went to the British GP, however this was on a Sunday (my normal working day). Rather than book the time off and risk not getting it I decided to ring in sick. I did so at 5am! Stating I had sunstroke from the day before (it was really hot and a traditional music festival date in my town.). So anyways they said take as much time off etc, I turned up the next day with a bright red face (I got sunburn from being outside all day watching the GP), and everyone was concerned for my wellbeing, so much so that I almost convinced myself that I was actually ill!! But yeah long story not much of a punchline etc...

Other than that, diarrohea (correct spelling?) is normally suffice as an excuse.