PDA

View Full Version : Musical Pet Peeves

XYlophonetreeZ
02-24-2008, 12:03 AM
So this thread is the place to vent about all of the terrible things that bands do with their songs that you hate. It could be a cliche or just a terrible songwriting mistake. Posting a few examples of the worst culprits is highly encouraged.

Singer shouting "GO!" before guitar solo
This is just way overdone. And it's stupid.
Example: Half of all songs by The Offspring.

Guitarist lets penultimate chord ring out; drummer spazzes out, powerchord is repeated once or twice, but stopped quickly this time
People have been doing this since the 60s and it didn't even sound good then. Example: Fucking everything. I feel like Social Distortion do it a lot.

Songs in which the chorus has nothing to do with the verse
Self-explanatory. Transitions, plz.
Examples: "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," "Since U Been Gone," "The Zephyr Song," "Leaving New York"

Songs in which the chorus is simply a louder version of the verse
Once again, self-explanatory.
Examples: Goo Goo Dolls- Iris
Jeremiah Freed- Again

Songs that refuse to fucking end
Songs like this are a great way to tell how far a band is up its own ass. They usually stick this song at the end of albums so you can smell them sodomizing each other over these songs.
Examples: Every slow song by Jimmy Eat World, ever. Especially "My Sundown."

Songs that actually come up with a part that's REALLY FUCKING GOOD but end it too soon
It's like they give you a dash of hope that the song won't totally suck and then they snatch it away from you like candy from a baby.
Example: The Cooper Temple Clause- Music Box

Feel free to add examples to my categories because I know there are a lot more of each one. Obviously, add your own categories too. And yes, I know damn well that I am a pretentious douche.

SkunkIt
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
There are bands, that sound alike and have no originality, that still get signed to record labels. Why? noone knows.

Musicians that care more about how they look, rather than how they sound.

Hannah Montana's lack of musical talents and huge fame.

Musicians that play a song, because they know it'll sell, even if they don't like it.

All brainless rap music, with those squaky girls that sound like chipmunks, that rappers keep calling "shawty". When I say brainless, I do mean there is rap with some thought and intelligence put into it.

Bands that intentionally drown out their untalented vocalist with their instruments and make him the singer, knowing he can't sing.

Paris Hilton getting a record deal, stealing "Kingston Town" from UB40 and ripping it to shreds, with her horrible lack of voice and extremly retarted lyrics. WHAT THE FUCK ARE BLIND STARS?

Not being able to find Papoose's Alphabetical Slaughter on MP3, anywhere and the fact that he doesn't have more attention for this beat.

Songs in which the chorus has nothing to do with the verse
Self-explanatory. Transitions, plz.
Examples: "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds,"

This isn't true for this song, because the song itself mentions many strange, "creative" things. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds abbreviated is LSD, which is actually what they're singing about. (Or something like that.)

Edit: "Lennon's ability to compose psychedelic music invoking images of other realms is highlighted on the 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds". The often-told history of the song's origin reports an encounter between Lennon and his four year old son, Julian, who showed his father one of his paintings, to which he had given this unusual title. Musically inspired, Lennon's sense of poetic imagery resulted in the fanciful word play heard in the song. Much has been made of the correlation between the drug LSD and the large letters of the song title, "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds," but up to his death, Lennon would deny that this sone referred to the hallucinogen."

- "Here To Stay Rock and Roll Through the 70's Second Edition- G.W. Sandy Schaefer

You're right! ^_^

XYlophonetreeZ
02-24-2008, 12:32 AM
This isn't true for this song, because the song itself mentions many strange, "creative" things. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds abbreviated is LSD, which is actually what they're singing about. (Or something like that.)
I'm aware of the lyrical theme. By having nothing to do with the verse, I meant MUSICALLY it has nothing to do with it. Not lyrically. There's no transition. The only reason it even counts as the same song is that it's what they played right after the verse. They could have played "Itsy Bitsy Spider" right after the verse, but do you call it the same song as long as it comes out on the same track on the album? The state of music today would lead me to believe: yes.

SkunkIt
02-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Ah, I'm one of the people who enjoys that! :D

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 12:38 AM
There are bands, that sound alike and have no originality, that still get signed to record labels. Why? noone knows.

This one's easy, actually. The real question is, why wouldn't they get signed? You take something, it sells well, so you repeat it and hope it sells well again.

It sucks. But it works.

Endymion
02-24-2008, 12:42 AM
fade outs. if you're going to write a song, write an ending too.

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm sure I'll add more to this thread sometime, but for now I'll go with lazy rhyming. Like, "fire" with "desire" or "higher", for example. So goddamned annoying when you know what the next line is before it's even uttered.

IamSam
02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Stealing music because you aren't clever enough to come up with it on your own. Example: Sum 41-Speaking of the Devil and The Rolling Stones-Sympathy for the Devil.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-24-2008, 01:01 AM
fade outs. if you're going to write a song, write an ending too.
I can't believe I forgot this one. I couldn't have said it better.

IamSam
02-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Acoustic versions of songs that should never have acoustic versions.

H1T_That
02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
When bands release Cd's with demo versions of their songs.

I don't want to hear the watered down version that you once thought wasnt good enough, but are now releasing for money!!!!!

0r4ng3
02-24-2008, 07:07 AM
The only pet peeve I can think of is the fact that every single lyricist seems to think that "girl" is the only word that rhymes with "world", and vice versa.

H1T_That
02-24-2008, 07:19 AM
The only pet peeve I can think of is the fact that every single lyricist seems to think that "girl" is the only word that rhymes with "world", and vice versa.

Wow, i never noticed this before. But now that you point it out, you're totally right.

Sidewinder
02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Every slow song by Jimmy Eat World, ever. Especially "My Sundown."
So not true with Futures/Chase this Light. But the earlier stuff, yeah.

Songs that actually come up with a part that's REALLY FUCKING GOOD but end it too soon
Actually, Example: the Offspring - It'll Be a Long Time. I love that one little part in the middle; only part of the entire album I still like, really.

opivy21
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Gang vocals drive me insane. They sound like Neanderthals.

Cock Joke
02-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Singer shouting "GO!" before guitar solo
This is just way overdone. And it's stupid.
Example: Half of all songs by The Offspring.
I only remember this from Feelings, actually.

Songs like this are a great way to tell how far a band is up its own ass. They usually stick this song at the end of albums so you can smell them sodomizing each other over these songs.
Examples: Every slow song by Jimmy Eat World, ever. Especially "My Sundown."
Or how about every single song by U2? Am I right or am I right?

Examples: It's like they give you a dash of hope that the song won't totally suck and then they snatch it away from you like candy from a baby.
Example: The Cooper Temple Clause- Music Box
Also "Mother" by Danzig and "Shout at the Devil" by Motley Crue.

0r4ng3
02-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I only remember this from Feelings, actually.
I think it also happens in The Kids Aren't Alright. Something similar but ultimately different happens in I Choose. I don't remember exactly what it is, though.

Another pet peeve of mine is when a song has a musical break, but it sounds exactly like the rest of the song, sans vocals. Like, you'd think there would be a solo, or some kind of bridge or breakdown, but no, it's just the chorus again, without the chorus.

Jakebert
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
-bands that try way too hard to sound arty, but only do so by using big words that they usually mispronounce or use in the wrong context. I'm looking at you, Incubus and AFI sometimes.

-bands that essentially re-record the same song over and over again. I still don't understand the massive appeal of AC/DC, seeing as this is essentially what they've been doing. Other offenders include: Nickleback, Pennywise's last 3 albums, and the singles from the last 3 Red Hot Chilli Pepper's albums.

-"OMGZ I KNOW THAT SONG! YOU PROBABLY HEARD ON GUITAR HERO!!!" This makes me much less happy that Sonic Youth was on Guitar Hero III.

-"I love indie! Death Cab For Cutie is so amazing!" I don't dislike Death Cab, but even when they were the buttlove of the indie scene, they were overrated as hell. It's only gotten worse as they've gotten more popular.

-bands that only write songs about relationships. There are a lot more song topics than songs about broken relationships, and it really gets dull to hear the same subject over and over again. This is the main reason I stopped listening to a lot of mainstream rock music.

0r4ng3
02-24-2008, 09:34 AM
-"OMGZ I KNOW THAT SONG! YOU PROBABLY HEARD ON GUITAR HERO!!!" This makes me much less happy that Sonic Youth was on Guitar Hero III.
Lolz, I do that all the time. People know me as that guy who says "hey, that song's in Guitar Hero/Rock Band!". But, y'know, as a joke.

Vera
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't have many and they're probably such people here cannot relate to because you guys listen to such radically different music than I do. As in, music in English. Ahem.

- "These lyrics are so randomly associative and whacky, played to a basic acoustic guitar they must be indie brilliance!" JUNO SOUNDTRACK OMFG. What a bunch of fucking shit. *facepalm*

- Art masturbation. I mean sure you can be sort of creatively wanky with your lyrics and I can smirk at it because it's stupid, but when it makes me laugh? LOLZ NO. Just no. (Like Jakebert, I am talking about AFI. Especially that one song on DU.)

- When English lyrics meant to sound 'cool' among Korean/Chinese/Hindi lyrics end up sounding, not even just funny (which is why I enjoy them) but just WRONG. Crazy Kiya Re from Dhoom 2; "you sexy little girl" wtf peadobear gtfo.

Cock Joke
02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Awright! I have come up with a couple and I hope to develop more real soon.

A band or singer who has one good song and the rest are all crap! I.E. 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Petey Pablo, and Nickel Back!
We can all relate to this one, I'm sure. The most annoying song ever that gets constant airplay and retards all over the nation just love it! Then, it wins, like, 5 fucking Grammys! No examples are needed.

mrconeman
02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Those aren't really musical pet peeves.

Cock Joke
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately right now, they're the best I can come up with.

coke_a_holic
02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
In most cases:

When bands leave songs as Untitled
Surely, you can think of a name that fits your song. There are some cases where the songs are untitled because they literally aren't listed on the cd (Against Me!), but I mean, seriously, it would make it easier for the listeners to go "yes, I'm listening to _____."

When groups are take themselves too seriously
Seriously, Tiger Army, AFI, almost all punk bands, and everyone. You're just people who picked up an instrument, you're not going to change the world. You're being paid to play music and turning your hobbies into jobs. Have fun with it.

Conversely:

When artists/bands don't take themselves seriously enough
This only bothers me with really famous bands or artists. When you can make a million dollars off a single that is a fucking shitty song with bad, tasteless, bland lyrics, that makes me furious. You should work for your money, especially when it's that much.

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 03:55 PM
When bands leave songs as Untitled
Surely, you can think of a name that fits your song. There are some cases where the songs are untitled because they literally aren't listed on the cd (Against Me!), but I mean, seriously, it would make it easier for the listeners to go "yes, I'm listening to _____."

This one drives me nuts. If you can't think of a title you like, why not just grab some lyrics from the song and just call it that?

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention my number one pet peeve in all of music. It's something I bitch about nearly every fucking day.

When rappers, have songs, right. And these songs are listed as "featuring [insert other rapper here]", and you get excited because you like that rapper, want to collect their shit, and you're interested in seeing how their styles play against each other. Then you find out that all the rapper does is sing the fucking chorus and you get furious.

Infuriating examples:

Obie Trice "featuring" Busta Rhymes: Oh!
Kanye West "featuring" The Game: Crack Music
Ja Rule "featuring" Fat Joe: What's Love?
Kanye West "featuring" Ludacris: Breathe In, Breathe Out

BREAK
02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
OK, I know it's just record label promotional shit, and the bands have nothing to do with it, but I still hate those stickers on the fronts of CDs that say "For fans of bands X, Y, and Z. You like those bands, right? Then you'll like this shit too!"

For several reasons. First of all, they usually just pick 3 well-established bands that everyone's heard of regardless of whether they have anything in common musically. Secondly, so what if I like all those bands? Does that mean I really need some more shit that sounds just like it? And who says I can't like just this ONE band and despise all the rest of them? Any implication of somebody trying to predict my taste tends to piss me off. I can't even predict my own taste. It's just wrong, I honestly think it does more to hurt the bands it's supposed to be promoting than to help them.

IamSam
02-24-2008, 05:01 PM
When rappers, have songs, right. And these songs are listed as "featuring [insert other rapper here]", and you get excited because you like that rapper, want to collect their shit, and you're interested in seeing how their styles play against each other. Then you find out that all the rapper does is sing the fucking chorus and you get furious.

Infuriating examples:

That pisses me off to no end as well. Especially when they 'feature' four rappers.

Apathy
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
- "These lyrics are so randomly associative and whacky, played to a basic acoustic guitar they must be indie brilliance!" JUNO SOUNDTRACK OMFG. What a bunch of fucking shit. *facepalm*

Agreed on accounts of Kimya Dawson, but that soundtrack has a song by Buddy Holly on it that I love.

as for my list:

Songs that are good, but then break into some horrible little spoken part in the middle of the fucking song. Way to ruin it.
Example: Lightyear- Positive Outlook

Intros that don't lead into the following song. Intros are great when they actually roll into the song next to them. But when they don't it just sounds stupid and choppy.
Example of an intro done well: Pork Chop's little Ditty - Primus
Example of an intro done badly: Most of the offspring intros

Songs that are fifteen minutes long but are actually only two minutes long but with eleven minutes of nothing to hide a hidden song at the end. For several reasons. It takes up hella lotta space on any smallish mp3 device. If I like the song a lot, I can't just listen to it. I have to hit next when I'm done with it. Even worse, if I like the hidden song I have to fast forward to find it.

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I fucking love Kimya Dawson and also know her personally. So stfu, you two.

...even though I secretly agree.

WebDudette
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I pretty much agree too, but it doesn't stop me from loving the hell out of her songs.

Apathy
02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Eh, I'm guilty too. I bought the freaking thing. When I first heard her I loved it.

Only yesterday did I realize that I actually didn't. I thought it was brilliant, then I realized that in actuality it was more generic than most generic bands. Same formula for every song. They sound alright at first...

Oh, and Loose Lips totally reminds me of a Streetlight Manifesto song. The lyrics, the gang vocals, the writing style where sections are repeated, and so on.

WebDudette
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmm, maybe thats why I love Loose Lips. I never though she was anything special or brilliant, I just loved the songs.

Jakebert
02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Dawson is ok...she's not as amazing as she's cracked up to be, but still pretty not horrible.

But the Juno soundtrack is good...there's a lot more on it than just her. Granted, they managed to use one of the worse Velvet Undergroun songs in existance, but still...they used a Sonic Youth song that I had been looking for for months.

Llamas
02-24-2008, 06:41 PM
This one drives me nuts. If you can't think of a title you like, why not just grab some lyrics from the song and just call it that?

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention my number one pet peeve in all of music. It's something I bitch about nearly every fucking day.

Infuriating examples:

lol. I generally think "featured" artists on rap songs usually end up being really lame and not worth my time. I've always hated that tradition, or whatever you want to call it, in rap music.

I really hate in rap music when there is more than one rapper, or a rapper and a singer... and a few measures before the rapper starts rapping, he has to start going "UHH UHH YEAH UHH" for a while before he starts. It's sooooo fucking annoying.

Wolfbutter
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I really hate in rap music when there is more than one rapper,

WHAT?!?!?!? What about Renegade, Say What U Say, Life's A Bitch?!?!??!?!?!?!? :( :( :(

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
And this is why I don't talk about rap with white people.

Cock Joke
02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Few more

Songs that ALL sound the same (U2)
Songs that would be great if it weren't for one little thing in there that ruined it. For example, some songs have this smooth, steady rhythm going, but then it just stops all of a sudden. "Mother" comes to mind again.

And I had one more but I forgot what it was. :rolleyes:

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Songs that ALL sound the same (U2)

A lot of people say this about some bands, including U2, but it's just plain not true, especially in their case. All of their singles sound the same, yeah, but that's about it (and that also applies to most artists...Eminem, System of a Down, etc).

Cock Joke
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Vertigo branches off just a tiny bit, but that's about it as far as I know.

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Their first like, 4 or 5 albums all sound incredibly different from each other (except maybe Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree). You don't know what you're talking about in this case, but that's okay, because people always get so caught up in Bono's admittedly annoying personality that they have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the actual music the band produces (anyone who thinks something albums like War, Pop, and All That You Can't Leave Behind sound alike is completely fucking deaf. Seriously). And I think it wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't happen on a punk-rock BBS.

BREAK
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I despair for a generation too young to remember Rattle and Hum.

Your Bono-hate is misguided. If you think he's irritating now, you should've been around for the early 90s. By contrast, he's calmed down now.

Autonomist
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Songs with unnecessarily long titles. This ones becoming an increasing trend, thankfully with bands I mostly don't listen to, but when it does pop up it annoys me to no end. A particular example would be "They Paint the Picture for the Picture-Perfect Masterpiece..." by Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. I have to abbreviate these on my iTunes because it just looks so wrong to me, and I don't even know what the song's full title is.

Llamas
02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
WHAT?!?!?!? What about Renegade, Say What U Say, Life's A Bitch?!?!??!?!?!?!? :( :( :(

Oh... so you totally misunderstood me. I definitely did NOT mean that I hate in rap music when there's more than one rapper. What I meant was that, if there's more than one rapper, or if there's a rapper and a singer, when a rapper is about to start rapping, he has to preface it with some silly grunts and sounds. It's not in all or even most rap music I've heard, but it seems especially common in the MTV type of rap.

0r4ng3
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Songs with unnecessarily long titles. This ones becoming an increasing trend, thankfully with bands I mostly don't listen to, but when it does pop up it annoys me to no end. A particular example would be "They Paint the Picture for the Picture-Perfect Masterpiece..." by Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. I have to abbreviate these on my iTunes because it just looks so wrong to me, and I don't even know what the song's full title is.
I think that they can get away with doing it once, but there are bands that do it for every single song. You know who you are.

Vera
02-25-2008, 06:08 AM
And this is why I don't talk about rap with white people.

lolololol.

My "feat" pet peeve is when I end up liking the featuring artist more than the REAL artist whose 'song' this is supposed to be, at least on that track. Korean hiphop/pop does this to me a lot, the featuring artist just fuckin' MAKES the song and I listen to the song 937592648 times just to hear those parts.

Examples (like any of you are gonna listen!); Tiger JK on M's "Play My Song", Tablo on Rain's "I'm Coming".

Jakebert
02-25-2008, 06:32 AM
"Omgz that song is so long!" to a song that's like 7 minutes long. That's not that long at all.

killer_queen
02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I hate it when a singer or a band covers a song (especially if it's a well known song) but adds nothing to it. Punk bands do it a lot. They just take a cheerful song, play it a little faster and instead of singing the song they scream the lyrics. If you're going to cover a song you have to add something from yourself. I love what Tori Amos made with Smells Like the Teen Spirit, I love what Cake has done to I will Survive and ı think all covers must be like those.

Sidewinder
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
"Omgz that song is so long!" to a song that's like 7 minutes long. That's not that long at all.
Related: When people use a song's length to describe how good it is.

Jakebert
02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I hate it when a singer or a band covers a song (especially if it's a well known song) but adds nothing to it. Punk bands do it a lot. They just take a cheerful song, play it a little faster and instead of singing the song they scream the lyrics. If you're going to cover a song you have to add something from yourself. I love what Tori Amos made with Smells Like the Teen Spirit, I love what Cake has done to I will Survive and ı think all covers must be like those.

I think some where they just take the melody are okay, but yeah, I agree for the most part. Cat Power's cover of "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, and Joe Strummer's beautiful cover of "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley stand out as two good examples of covers where stuff is added.

Nameh
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree with the "really good parts in otherwise fairly bad songs" thing. But I also think that those parts wouldn't be as good if the rest of the song also was really good. Because then it wouldn't be as unexpected. Something like that.

I also agree with fade outs, though they're so common that it's not really worth it to be annoyed every time it's used.

I think that they can get away with doing it once, but there are bands that do it for every single song. You know who you are.

And by Our Own Hand Did Every Last Bird Lie Silent in Their Puddles, the Air Barren of Song as the Clouds Drifted Away. For Killing Their Greatest Enemy, the Locusts Noisily Thanked Us and Turned Their Jaws Toward Our Crops, Swallowing Our Greed Whole.

Little_Miss_1565
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
When bands compare themselves to the Beatles or list the Beatles as an influence
The Beatles are that band where you can state with near certainty that they have influenced directly or indirectly every single band making rock music out there. Namechecking them, thusly, is an enormous copout and basically telling people that you are an unoriginal douche whose music sucks. Note how you mainly see this on Craigslist and rarely among national acts.

Harnum
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Power Metal
All the music and their shitty names. Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Iced Earth, etc. lyk, whut teh hell? The names give the feeling of an RPG, and I usually hate the super fast guitar solos that have no feel to them. It's just total shredding. Then the lyrics are mostly like, "KILL THE ELVES! SLAY THE DRAGON! GET TO THE CASTLE!" and whatnot, which is a bit bland. (I guess the lyrics part don't apply to all Power Metal, but a select few bands/songs for sure).

I'm just, not a fan..

P.S - I say all this stuff going by a general stereotype of power metal bands. The reason I do this is because I've heard the popular bands and I haven't wanted to dabble in this genre any more than that. (Feel free to disagree with me, lloolol.)

Songs with unnecessarily long titles.
I know of 5 such songs.
· MCR - I never told you what I do for a living
· MCR - You know what they do to guys like us in prison
· MCR - It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish
(MCR CD for my birffffday a looong time ago. :()
·QOTSA - You think I aint worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire

and the greatest one of all...
· Panic at the Disco! - Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off

Homer
02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Over-produced songs that sound horrible live
Seriously. When recording a song, you should keep in mind that you're going to end up playing it live one day. Do you really need to put a fucking triangle in the song? I'm looking at you, Honest Goodbye by Bad Religion.

Shitty lyrics
I hate shitty lyrics. Especially ones that are basically someone bitching about a break-up. Though, they could also just be those stereotypical 'oi oi oi' punk lyrics, which has turned me away from some bands.
Specifically: The Casualties. Though, their newest album is a huge improvement.

"OMG, ur band suks!" Says the country fan.
I hate this the most. People who, I know for a fact, have no idea of what music is outside of what's on the popular radio stations come up to me and tell me my music/band sucks. They offer no valid reason. No reason at all.

Also, a sub-category of that is when people think money = greatness. I mean, when I talk to people about how Allan Jackson was charging 300 bucks for a ticket for his show in Winnipeg, people told me that he should be able to do that, because he's a good musician. This also leads to them telling me that the bands I happen to like (including my band) suck because they don't charge a lot for their shows. Fuck, it boggles the mind.

Apathy
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I know of 5 such songs.
ˇ MCR - I never told you what I do for a living
ˇ MCR - You know what they do to guys like us in prison
ˇ MCR - It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish
(MCR CD for my birffffday a looong time ago. :()
ˇQOTSA - You think I aint worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire

and the greatest one of all...
ˇ Panic at the Disco! - Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off

In reality those song names aren't very long at all. Go look at some Sufjan Stevens or something. His are just ridiculous.

mrconeman
02-26-2008, 04:26 PM
They aren't really long they're just faggoted emo song names.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Thats a long song title.

Jakebert
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Shitty lyrics
I hate shitty lyrics. Especially ones that are basically someone bitching about a break-up. Though, they could also just be those stereotypical 'oi oi oi' punk lyrics, which has turned me away from some bands.
Specifically: The Casualties. Though, their newest album is a huge improvement.

The Casualties get my vote as one of the top 10 worst bands of all time. Some of the lyrics are hilarious, though.

BROKEN HEART!
I WANT IT BACK!
BROKEN HEART!
I GOT IT BACK!

Wolfbutter
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I actually think rhyming "want" with "got" is pretty creative rhyming.

JohnnyNemesis
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I hate unnecessarily long song titles too, but I like them every now and then/in small doses.

I don't mind when Atom & His Package does it because it's funny and part of his persona. I hate when the emo bands do it. I loved when BOTAR did it because it was just cool. Etc.

Jakebert
02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't mind overly long song titles as long as they're good. Sufjan, for the most part, does a decent job with it. Sometimes he can get annoying with that, but I can't criticize a song title like "They Are Night Zombies, They Are Neighbors, They Have Come Back From the Dead. AHHH!!!!"

GBH2
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Few more

Songs that would be great if it weren't for one little thing in there that ruined it. For example, some songs have this smooth, steady rhythm going, but then it just stops all of a sudden. "Mother" comes to mind again.

so what parts are you talking about in "mother?" that song rocks.

anyway...

freaking power chords the entire song
i'm looking at you, offspring

when a chorus is simply a repetition of the title of the song over and over again
a lot of old "hardcore" punk band did this

Gang vocals

country accents
or maybe just the new rockified country bullshit they play on the radio in general.

"artists" who get rich by stealing someone elses song
yes you, rihanna. tainted love has such a basic and catchy melody a fucking down syndrome retard could write a song with it. and for that matter "artists" who don't write their own music is another pet peeve.

Llamas
02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Why do so many people hate gang vocals? The only time I've ever had an issue with them is when they become massively overused throughout an album (see Lucky Boys Confusion - How to Get Out Alive EP). I think they sound great when used well.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I love that EP and didn't have a problem with gang vocals in The Struggle, but when they did the same thing 2 songs in a row and repeated the gang vocals in Cigarettes, that was too much.

WebDudette
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't mind long titles in some cases. Daughters and The Locust have some funny ones.

Daughters - My Stereo Has Mono And So Does My Girlfriend
Daughters - I Slept With The Daughters And I Got Was This Lousy Song Written About Me.

The Locust - Priest With The Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Get Out Of My Bed.
The Locust - Twenty-Three Lubed Up Schizophrenics With Delusions Of Grandeur.

Long song title thread. (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18513&page=9&highlight=long+song+titles)

Sorry, pretty much off topic.

I honestly can't think of any specifics that really annoy me.

Generally, I enjoy gang vocals.

GBH2
02-26-2008, 09:18 PM
well i should say i find gang vocals to be okay when they are covering up a bad singer (casualties), but this is also why they're dumb, if the singer sucks, why is he your singer? basically gang vocals just remind me of 80s hair bands that suck in general and a lot of shitty punk bands like sham 69 and stuff.

BREAK
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
"artists" who get rich by stealing someone elses song
yes you, rihanna. tainted love has such a basic and catchy melody a fucking down syndrome retard could write a song with it. and for that matter "artists" who don't write their own music is another pet peeve.

You know that Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love" that got sampled for that Rihanna song is a cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainted_Love), right?

It's just a funny example to use. I mean, they basically got rich by "stealing someone else's song" but zomg Rihanna is so bad for using it!

JohnnyNemesis
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Fuck you/love you for pointing that out before I could.

0r4ng3
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe a better example could be Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal". I mean, shit, do they even have other songs?

Smash punker
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
well i should say i find gang vocals to be okay when they are covering up a bad singer (casualties), but this is also why they're dumb, if the singer sucks, why is he your singer? basically gang vocals just remind me of 80s hair bands that suck in general and a lot of shitty punk bands like sham 69 and stuff.

Gang vocals are great, no doubt! :cool: Sham 69 sucks? :eek: Man, you suck! :D PUNK´S NOT DEAD!

Marco
02-27-2008, 05:34 AM
SINGERS WHO USE FALSETTO IN EVERY SONG
...like Mika, he's got a good falsetto, but if he used it less and sang normally a bit more I think it would be muuuch better!

SINGERS WHO USE THEIR "TRADEMARK" VOICE STYLE TOO MUCH
right Mr.Manson? I absolutley adore the way he uses his voice, but look at what he's done with "The Last Day On Earth" sung live...he didn't use his vocal style excessively and the song was just...perfect!

Smash punker
02-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Maryilin Manson is a gay. :D

Sinister
02-27-2008, 06:00 AM
In before Coneman says it: Kirk Hammet's obsessive-compulsive wah disorder.

mrconeman
02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Kirk Hammets spastic vibrato.

opivy21
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I just think gang vocals sound cheesy.

nieh
02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Funny, someone on the other board I post on used to know her personally too.

[QUOTE=Little_Miss_1565;1084246]When bands compare themselves to the Beatles or list the Beatles as an influence
The Beatles are that band where you can state with near certainty that they have influenced directly or indirectly every single band making rock music out there. Namechecking them, thusly, is an enormous copout and basically telling people that you are an unoriginal douche whose music sucks. Note how you mainly see this on Craigslist and rarely among national acts.

I was actually about to post almost the exact same thing. One of my huge pet peeves is modern day bands that sound exactly like the Beatles or like the Beatles with louder guitars or the Beatles with softer guitars or the Beatles but sad or the Beatles with some modern production/electronics. It already bothers me when bands can't come up with a distinctive sound and blend in with pretty much everyone else in their genre, but when they basically just cop one specific band it just bothers me. Music didn't cease to evolve 50 years ago and there's already been 50 years worth of bands trying to emulate the Beatles, I highly doubt someone doing it today is going to do it better than any of those bands did.

Also: bands that come up with awesome pieces to songs but shitty or just bland/lazy pieces mixed in, thus preventing the song as a whole from being awesome. Best examples: certain songs on the last couple Cursive albums, almost the entire Menos el Oso album by Minus the Bear.

Llamas
02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
SINGERS WHO USE FALSETTO IN EVERY SONG
...like Mika, he's got a good falsetto, but if he used it less and sang normally a bit more I think it would be muuuch better!

I usually agree that singers shouldn't overuse falsetto... but Mika actually doesn't sing falsetto. That is actually in his range which he sings. Justin Timberlake, on the other hand, does sing in falsetto constantly, and I don't think he's that talented at falsetto. I'd like him much more if he stayed in his range. But yeah, very rarely does Mika go into falsetto. Most of the time, he's singing in his range. His range is really just that high.

Marco
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I usually agree that singers shouldn't overuse falsetto... but Mika actually doesn't sing falsetto. That is actually in his range which he sings. Justin Timberlake, on the other hand, does sing in falsetto constantly, and I don't think he's that talented at falsetto. I'd like him much more if he stayed in his range. But yeah, very rarely does Mika go into falsetto. Most of the time, he's singing in his range. His range is really just that high.
:eek:...1010

GBH2
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You know that Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love" that got sampled for that Rihanna song is a cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainted_Love), right?

It's just a funny example to use. I mean, they basically got rich by "stealing someone else's song" but zomg Rihanna is so bad for using it!

no no no... i'm completely aware that they're legally allowed to do it. i meant stealing in an artistic integrity way (wow i bet that sounded gay), not in a legal way. i suppose it is a bad example, but that leads me to another pet peeve: when artists release covers as singles. like gnarls barkley.

Meg
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't know if it's already been said, but I generally hate excessive bending in guitar fills or solos. It gets a bit boring and repetitive after a while.

JohnnyNemesis
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Funny, someone on the other board I post on used to know her personally too.

Awesome. To be clear though, it's not like we're omgzz best friiiiiends. But I've been lucky enough to hang out with her more than once because my ex-gf's housemate (and my close friend) actually is like omgzzzz best friends with her, and she really is a wonderful person. It aint an act, which is very nice.

when artists release covers as singles. like gnarls barkley.

I know whatcha mean, but there's a difference between when they did it and when bands like Alien Ant Farm and Orgy did it. Gnarls Barkly got ridiculously popular thanks to "Crazy", not "Gone Daddy Gone", for example.

I think generally using megapop stars like Rihanna is a bad example, though, because there's very little she does that is her own creation anyway.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-29-2008, 07:01 AM

The Mars Volta. Only they put these songs all over their albums and in some cases, they have songs that refuse to start. It almost seems like they make a long song for the sake of making it long. Like "Miranda That Ghost Isn't Holy Anymore", 4 minutes of bird chirps before the song begins. They've gotten better about it, since I think the longest song on their new album is only 9 and a half minutes long, but still, they were one of the first bands that I thought of when you said this. Older Modest Mouse songs refuse to end too. I love "Trucker's Atlas", but the song is over at 5 and a half minutes, but continues with the same guitar riff for another 7 minutes....AND it fades out. The hell?

Sinister
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Another offender in the "songs that refuse to fucking end" is Dream Theater's "Losing Time / Grand Finale". Gong and keyboards chord. Gong fades out. Chord resonates, not moving, just slowly fading out, for more than a minute and a half.

H1T_That
03-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Another offender in the "songs that refuse to fucking end" is Dream Theater's "Losing Time / Grand Finale". Gong and keyboards chord. Gong fades out. Chord resonates, not moving, just slowly fading out, for more than a minute and a half.

With a title of "Grand Finale", it's pretty much a given the song is gonna have an epic, overdramatic ending.

Oh, and a minute and a half for a fade out isn't really that long at all.

ruroken
03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
"These lyrics are so randomly associative and whacky, played to a basic acoustic guitar they must be indie brilliance!" JUNO SOUNDTRACK OMFG. What a bunch of fucking shit. *facepalm*

That really pissed me off too. I couldn't have been more bored with that shit.

When artists/bands don't take themselves seriously enough
This only bothers me with really famous bands or artists. When you can make a million dollars off a single that is a fucking shitty song with bad, tasteless, bland lyrics, that makes me furious. You should work for your money, especially when it's that much.
You're a fag. FUCK WORK. I mean, seriously, I would rather bullshit/sellout hardcore than care/struggle.

Too Much Repetition
Like Led Zeppelin. I don't know if its just me, but it seems like they compose one little riff for each song and then repeat it for, uhhhh, seven-to-however-fucking-long-their-songs-usually-tend-to-be. No variation...wtf.

Horrible Voices
The Strokes must die. All copies of their shit should be buried and smashed like that fucking ET Atari game.

Odd, Sudden Voice Change...
Eminem. Something happened between Marshall Mathers and The Eminem Show and it usually weirds me out.

More Than One Vocalist
Lemuria. That guy... whoever he is... annoys me. Backing vocals from him I can stand, but he should NEVER be the lead.

Really Lame Lyrics
If you can't fucking write, there's always the option of just being instrumental. If you suck at composing, then maybe you shouldn't be making music.

Noise
No. It's not music. It's just not. "Industrial" is shit. All of it is. Rhythm is but one instrument ("rhythm" being rare in this "genre") and lyrics almost always consist of the same two-to-four lines constantly repeated throughout the entire..."thing"...

Cock Joke
03-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Horrible singing over good music. I.E. Tom Delonge pretty much. That's the only person who comes to mind in that category.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Agreed about most of the Juno soundtrack, but I still love me some Piazza, New York Catcher.

Odd, Sudden Voice Change...
Eminem. Something happened between Marshall Mathers and The Eminem Show and it usually weirds me out.
Scott. Weiland. His assortment of completely different voices frightens me.

holland25
03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Errm, I think I'm gonna win with this one (speaking about long titles)

It's from the band named Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis and the title is Sean Bienvenidas A Nuestras Paradas, Duras Y Jugosas Vergas (Erótica Clitoridectomia Ataxxxia Hacia Una Intradermo)

Nameh
03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Ahem, I'm pretty sure I already won this one...

And by Our Own Hand Did Every Last Bird Lie Silent in Their Puddles, the Air Barren of Song as the Clouds Drifted Away. For Killing Their Greatest Enemy, the Locusts Noisily Thanked Us and Turned Their Jaws Toward Our Crops, Swallowing Our Greed Whole.

holland25
03-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Okay, you did

*admits defeat*

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Eminem's voice change between those two albums is the best thing that ever happened. I can barely listen to the Marshall Mathers LP anymore because that 12-year old immature teenager rapping voice wears so damn thin.

nameless
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
cheesy lyrics, some bands pull them off, others dont to the point where you have to turn off the music!

ruroken
03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Eminem's voice change between those two albums is the best thing that ever happened. I can barely listen to the Marshall Mathers LP anymore because that 12-year old immature teenager rapping voice wears so damn thin.
No way. The 12-year-old rapping voice fit perfectly with what he was saying.

IamSam
03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
One name:

T-Pain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTK0kFXJjd0)

Jakebert
03-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Noise
No. It's not music. It's just not. "Industrial" is shit. All of it is. Rhythm is but one instrument ("rhythm" being rare in this "genre") and lyrics almost always consist of the same two-to-four lines constantly repeated throughout the entire..."thing"...

Yes. It is music. It's just a different kind of music that aims to create atmosphere, tension, and other moods rather than just songs. Some noise rock, especially modern noise rock, misses the point, but the bands that do it well are much more interesting to listen to than just about any other genre I can think of.

Wolfbutter
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM

What about Encore? He sounds even MORE like a child there. He sounds like he's taking it as a joke.

And I agree; Eminem Show is my favorite. But Slim Shady LP, em sounds even more like a kid. =\

BREAK
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Kazoos, under any circumstances.

It's not an instrument, it's a fucking TOY. Use of one for any reason is inexcusable.

Singers whose style revolves around "not giving a shit"

Yes, fuck you, Malkmus. If you're THAT fucking bored with the song you're singing, pass the mic to someone else.

Superfluous strings/orchestral arrangements

If you're going to use orchestral/symphonic instruments in a rock song, write a song with those elements in mind, don't just throw some background violins over an otherwise unremarkable ballad.

Singing too loudly over quiet music

If the rest of the song is soft, SING IT SOFTLY. When it gets loud, THEN you get to go louder. No exceptions, this shit NEVER sounds good.

Never fucking breaking up/dying

Retirement, motherfucker. Normal people do it, rock stars shouldn't be the exception. Although this peeve has more to do with bands that keep touring year after year, and less with people who remain musically productive. If you're still chasing the muse into your 50s, great, keep doing it. But if your creative spark died out long ago and EVERYBODY knows it, hang it up. Fuck you, The Who.

BREAK
03-03-2008, 12:10 PM
One more: double-kick pedal abuse.

This is the one element that renders most "real metal" fucking unlistenable for me. There's a reason why you're not supposed to play sixteenth notes on a bass drum, and that reason is it sounds like SHIT. Drum with your HANDS, goddammit.

ruroken
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes. It is music. It's just a different kind of music that aims to create atmosphere, tension, and other moods rather than just songs. Some noise rock, especially modern noise rock, misses the point, but the bands that do it well are much more interesting to listen to than just about any other genre I can think of.
Send me some of what you're talking about.

coke_a_holic
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Send me some of what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvGHQHiY70

WebDudette
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
So uhh... that was awesome. More?

XYlophonetreeZ
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
THAT'S Animal Collective? I officially don't trust anyone anymore. Everyone says that they're similar to Yeasayer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2A_Juv213s&feature=related). The FUCK they are.

I <3 Yeasayer in more ways than you can imagine. I might come around to Animal Collective, but honestly I was so expecting that they'd sound like Yeasayer that I was too frazzled to form an intelligent opinion.

ruroken
03-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Animal Collective ftw! More please!

Yeasayer kicks ass too. More of them too please.

edit; I was thinking more along the lines of "Meltbanana" as "noise". Godawful bullshit.

Jakebert
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Melt Banana is better that a good 90% of the stuff you admit to liking. You can dislike it all you want because it's admittidly challenging, but saying that it sucks shows that you really don't understand it.

Little_Miss_1565
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
One more: double-kick pedal abuse.

This is the one element that renders most "real metal" fucking unlistenable for me. There's a reason why you're not supposed to play sixteenth notes on a bass drum, and that reason is it sounds like SHIT. Drum with your HANDS, goddammit.

Eat it, Breaky, double kick fucking rules.

Jakebert
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I picture you sitting at your computer like this right now: "FUCKING RULES!!!! \m/ \m/"

nieh
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Eat it, Breaky, double kick fucking rules.

It fucking rules when it's used sparingly, but when the entire song is double bass it loses its intensity.

BREAK
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
That's what I meant to say in the first place, so just act like that's what I said. For example, some dudes seem to think you can incorporate the bass drum into your fills in lieu of toms. No, no, no.

Cock Joke
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I heard one of those songs on the radio this morning that start out with a group of people having some conversation. I don't know why, but that bothers me a lot for some reason. I guess because none of them come out sounding too good.

A few examples are one song from Weezer, one song from Sublime, and I think Beck has one or two of those.

Llamas
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, I totally hate song intros that are either conversation, a radio switching stations (like that Fastball song, The Way... I think there was a Jewel song that did that, too, and there's a Goo Goo Dolls song that does it), or some stupid fake sound effect (doesn't necessarily apply if it's real) like a rainstorm or something. All of those are so lame as song intros. To me, I often feel like they're what bands do when they can't think of a good way to start the song.

Speaking of intros, I hate songs that refuse to start. The song intro should not last more than a minute, unless it's fucking amazing. And I've very rarely heard one that's amazing enough to last that long.

Jakebert
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
The only "switching radio stations" song that makes sense if "Wish You Were Here," mainly because in context of the album it's a pretty good satirical dig at the music industry.

H1T_That
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
It seems people pretty much hate everything that isn't perfect.

You guys are hard to please.

nieh
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
The only "switching radio stations" song that makes sense if "Wish You Were Here," mainly because in context of the album it's a pretty good satirical dig at the music industry.

I feel like an idiot because I thought you were talking about the Incubus song at first.

Llamas
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
It seems people pretty much hate everything that isn't perfect.

You guys are hard to please.

I think it's good to be critical, rather than to just accept anything that people throw out there. I don't like every song, and I'm sure you don't, either. Everyone here has just figured out what reasons there are for not liking songs. You might have just taken the "I don't like this song, and that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter why." approach. That's fine, too, but I think it's good and interesting to discuss different reasons you might not like something in a song.

coke_a_holic
03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
It seems people pretty much hate everything

Fixed .

Cock Joke
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Speaking of intros, I hate songs that refuse to start. The song intro should not last more than a minute, unless it's fucking amazing. And I've very rarely heard one that's amazing enough to last that long.

"Valkyrie missile" by AvA comes to mind as I read this. It's one of the few good songs on the album but the intro makes me bored to tears and I just can't listen to it. I pretty much have to fast-forward.

IamSam
03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
"Valkyrie missile" by AvA comes to mind as I read this. It's one of the few good songs on the album but the intro makes me bored to tears and I just can't listen to it. I pretty much have to fast-forward.

I stopped reading when I saw "Valkyrie Missile" and "AvA."

You know what a musical pet peeve of mine is? AvA.

Llamas
03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I've heard the first AVA album, and yeah I remember a few songs having ridiculous intros. Even worse, though, is that once they get past the intro, the actual song sucks anyway.

ruroken
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Melt Banana is better that a good 90% of the stuff you admit to liking. You can dislike it all you want because it's admittidly challenging, but saying that it sucks shows that you really don't understand it.
Why are you so condescending? "It sucks", you know, usually means "I don't like it". And you probably can't even name "90%" of what I admit to liking. Seeing as you seem to think that pretty much all I like is Incubus. Which is pretty stupid that you still give me shit for that since you learned it, what, two years ago? I don't even listen to them as much as I used to and they aren't anywhere near my favorite band anymore. I don't post as often as I used to so you wouldn't even know more than maybe a fourth of all the stuff I listen to. You probably think I still LOVE anime, right? Because I don't care much for it anymore. So I'm not listening to a whole lot of japanese shit either.

And you have a habit of contradicting yourself when act like an elitist. "saying that it sucks shows that you really don't understand it" could be said for any kind of music and, if I remember correctly, you don't like rap. Does that mean its because you don't understand it? Seriously, stop being so damn anal about how people express themselves.

Also, you misspelled "admittedly".

IamSam
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Please don't hurt me, but I hate Bob Dylan as a singer. Something about his voice makes me wanna run through a convention of grandmas with strollers with a semi.

Jakebert
03-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Why are you so condescending? "It sucks", you know, usually means "I don't like it". And you probably can't even name "90%" of what I admit to liking. Seeing as you seem to think that pretty much all I like is Incubus. Which is pretty stupid that you still give me shit for that since you learned it, what, two years ago? I don't even listen to them as much as I used to and they aren't anywhere near my favorite band anymore. I don't post as often as I used to so you wouldn't even know more than maybe a fourth of all the stuff I listen to. You probably think I still LOVE anime, right? Because I don't care much for it anymore. So I'm not listening to a whole lot of japanese shit either.

And you have a habit of contradicting yourself when act like an elitist. "saying that it sucks shows that you really don't understand it" could be said for any kind of music and, if I remember correctly, you don't like rap. Does that mean its because you don't understand it? Seriously, stop being so damn anal about how people express themselves.

Also, you misspelled "admittedly".

Then say "I don't like it" instead of "it sucks". It's not too hard. Calm down and stop being butthurt just because I attacked your opinion.

ruroken
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
It's also not too hard to stop acting like an arrogant polymath.

WebDudette
03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
One of my pet peeves is when people tell me I just don't understand the music and I'm wrong for saying a band or song sucks.

Seriously though, this happen all the time. 'Oh, I don't like that bad, they are pretty horrible.' 'Blah, blah, blah but they are so skilled, you just don't understand." It has nothing to do with my understanding, I just don't like the music. In fact, I think it sucks.

For the record, I do like Melt Banana and other 'challenging' music.

Jakebert
03-05-2008, 05:30 AM
It's not that he just left it at "it sucks," it's basically that he stated a claim that a lot of people do, which is that it's just noise. That claim is just plain wrong.

H1T_That
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I think it's good to be critical, rather than to just accept anything that people throw out there. I don't like every song, and I'm sure you don't, either. Everyone here has just figured out what reasons there are for not liking songs. You might have just taken the "I don't like this song, and that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter why." approach. That's fine, too, but I think it's good and interesting to discuss different reasons you might not like something in a song.

Oh, yeah.. i 100% agree. Its just some people here i feel are being way overly judgemental and too critical.

For example, some people are saying, "god, that song totally sucks because i don't like the 3 second intro"

Fixed .

That is, infact what i actually meant. Being a trupunx, and all.

0r4ng3
03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Earlier today I remembered another pet peeve, probably the one I find the most annoying.

When a song starts with a sample of a TV show or movie, or something similar. That means you, nearly every single song by Good Riddance. Also, it's the only thing I have against Bomb the Music Industry!.

coke_a_holic
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Well... LET THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIIIIN!

I would agree, but the fact that most of the quotes in BTMI! songs are from Arrested Development fixes it. I agree that, in general, the conversations or whatever that they throw in before some songs are stupid/skip-necessary, though.

Wolfbutter
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Jakebert, everyone knows by know that when you say something sucks, it means you don't like it. No need to go dictionary on his ass. Languages evolve and change, they are not just black and white.

Jakebert
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Jakebert, everyone knows by know that when you say something sucks, it means you don't like it. No need to go dictionary on his ass. Languages evolve and change, they are not just black and white.

There's a big difference between "I don't like it" and "it sucks". Am I really the only one who actually makes a point to distinguish the two?

Wolfbutter
03-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Technically, there is a difference, but not...really.

Take "homophobic" or "animal" for example. Homophobic technically means you are scared of homos, but it has come to mean a general dislike. Also, humans are technically animals, but it has come to mean every other creature that is not a human.

Like I said, its' not all black and white.

Jakebert
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
....what? If you're going to make an argument, at least give examples that don't suck.

Anyway: saying "it sucks" means that it's bad. Saying "I don't like it" is not the same thing. For example, I think Nickleback sucks. I think they're a shitty band. But I don't like Elvis Presley. I personally dislike his music, but I wouldn't disagree with someone who calls him a talented singer.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
This is all getting kinda ridiculous IMO, but more importantly, it's getting off-topic. So, everyone involved, let's please drop this particular argument and get back to the thread's topic.

Thanks!

nieh
03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
My biggest pet peeves is power hungry mods.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
kill whitey :(

WebDudette
03-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I would like to add more but what ever.

I hate covers that are identical to the original. The ones where it is the same style the same instruments, the same everything but the singer sounds a little different. If you are going to cover a song change it up a bit.

GBH2
03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
going off that, i hate it when a band fucks up a song. like the killers covering "shadowplay" by joy division. They really gayed it up with their electronic shit. and totally weak vocals.

opivy21
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
going off that, i hate it when a band fucks up a song. like the killers covering "shadowplay" by joy division. They really gayed it up with their electronic shit. and totally weak vocals.
That happens a lot on tribute albums. I'm all for unique covers, but sometimes in an effort to modify a cover song, the covering band takes out the great hook or other part that makes the original worth listening to.

And another one that's probably already been mentioned but that bears repeating: doing covers of non-punk songs in punk fashion. Far more often than not it just comes off as very lazy and unoriginal.

ruroken
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
It's not that he just left it at "it sucks," it's basically that he stated a claim that a lot of people do, which is that it's just noise. That claim is just plain wrong.
...when did I claim that? I said that "noise" by itself is my pet peeve and Melt Banana fit that peeve, because I felt we were talking about two different things since Animal Collective had rhythm. Then I stated that I think Melt Banana is bullshit. I don't know where you got the idea that I thought a lot of people think the same of them as I do. I'm well aware of their fanbase.

There's a big difference between "I don't like it" and "it sucks". Am I really the only one who actually makes a point to distinguish the two?
Yes, goddammit, YOU ARE. Why is everything so fucking literal with you?

On the subject of covers, I like covers that sound almost completely alike but have the advantage of me liking who's covering the song. Like The Smashing Pumpkins covering "Landslide". The original is great and all, but I prefer Corgan's vocals. I think that's the point of covers, since bands tend to fuck up the beauty of the originals when they convert it into their style or close to it. Especially with the vocals... every Depeche Mode cover I've heard (except Johnny Cash's) has the lead singer trying to sound british. Not cool.

BREAK
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
pblblblblb.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes, goddammit, YOU ARE. Why is everything so fucking literal with you?

No, he's not. And I also asked that everyone drop the issue, please.

every Depeche Mode cover I've heard (except Johnny Cash's) has the lead singer trying to sound british. Not cool.

SO GODDAMNED ANNOYING. I agree. It drives me crazy.

Endymion
03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
ps: best cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvcuaJy9OwI) ever in a totally awesome film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casino_%28film%29).

H1T_That
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
the covering band takes out the great hook or other part that makes the original worth listening to.

The whole point in a cover is to make the song your own, not just do the same as the orignial. That would be pointless.

nieh
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Live covers that sound exactly like the original are fine by me, but if you're going to go through the effort of recording a cover in the studio then you better add your own twist.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
My current pet peeve has more to do with people than with music. But I hate when people misunderstand song lyrics and assume they're romantic when they're not and then dedicate them to loved ones or whatever.

The two most common examples are "The One I Love" by R.E.M. and "One" by U2. These are songs about not liking each other, people. Just listen to the fucking lyrics instead of just the chorus. Grrr.

And "Every Breath You Take"! GAH!

EDIT: Yeah, as nieh said.

nieh
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Also Every Breath You Take is about control, not love like people seem to assume.

WebDudette
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Lovesong by The Cure is another example. Though it may be because of 311's cover and how it doesn't sound near as depressing.

Jakebert
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
"The One I Love" kind of sums up why I love R.E.M. They got famous with a song that's really pretty subversive, at least when compared to the other stuff on the radio at the time.

"Losing My Religion" is somewhat similar. It's not a love song, as much as it's about a guy stalking a girl.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I think it was fucking brilliant that R.E.M pulled that off. I've actually always been into songs that can pull off that kind of subversion, especially the depressing lyrics/upbeat music kind. So good.

WebDudette
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought it was about becoming an Atheist.

nieh
03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I've actually always been into songs that can pull off that kind of subversion, especially the depressing lyrics/upbeat music kind. So good.

That's actually one of the big reasons why I'm in <3 with Lily Allen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQB3AptIOHc).

ruroken
03-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I also hate when a band completely fuck up in live recordings. The Smashing Pumpkins bootlegs are mostly shit. I understand that its different when you're there but it bugs me to no end how much Corgan destroys his own work by playing too fast or completely out-of-sync with the rest of the band. AND I HATE SILVERFUCK. Especially on Earphoria. He extends my favorite part of the song ("bang bang you're dead hole in your head") but with really boring, stupid and unrelated lyrics. And he has even played that fucking song for TWENTY-ONE MINUTES before. It's a 9 minute song! :mad:

nieh
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Actually, that reminds me of a pet peeve, ruining the flow of a song by adding jamming that doesn't fit with the rest of the song: see 99% of every live Mars Volta video on the net. I don't have a problem with jamming or extending certain parts of songs if it actually flows well.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
My current pet peeve has more to do with people than with music. But I hate when people misunderstand song lyrics and assume they're romantic when they're not and then dedicate them to loved ones or whatever.

The two most common examples are "The One I Love" by R.E.M. and "One" by U2. These are songs about not liking each other, people. Just listen to the fucking lyrics instead of just the chorus. Grrr.

And "Every Breath You Take"! GAH!

EDIT: Yeah, as nieh said.
Yes and yes and yes. People even think that "Fred Astaire" by Lucky Boys Confusion was a love song. They even explain this in the FAQ on their website! What's there to explain? JUST LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE FUCKING SONG. Just because it has the line "I never got to be your Fred Astaire," which I guess people assumed was the cheesiest cornball love line of all time. It's not. It's about parental pressures, and it's really really goddamn easy to understand that if you listen to the whole song and not just one line.

And just to be racist for a second, it's no wonder an Indian guy would write a song about parental pressures. But I kid. I think it had more to do with him being a young, rebellious punkosaurus when he wrote the song than him being Indian. But still. Just because the lyrics are kinda lame doesn't mean it's OK to misinterpret it as a love song.

"The One I Love" kind of sums up why I love R.E.M. They got famous with a song that's really pretty subversive, at least when compared to the other stuff on the radio at the time.

"Losing My Religion" is somewhat similar. It's not a love song, as much as it's about a guy stalking a girl.
As for R.E.M., this applies to "You Are the Everything," which I posted in the "best lyrics ever" thread as well, even though it's not as well-known. It could be misinterpreted as a love song, and even though the second verse has some definite references to love, the whole song is more about how what's most important to him changes throughout the stages of his life.

And people like stalker songs. Go back to late 2004 when girls were always melting over "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5, saying the lyrics were "so sweet." Dude. That song's lyrics are creepy as all fuck. I kinda don't even think they were intended to be, which makes them even creepier.

Llamas
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
The depressing lyrics/upbeat music has always been a huge reason I love the Barenaked Ladies. "Pinch Me" is an excellent example of this. I love it when bands can pull that off so well.

Kinda funny that Mmmbop is actually of that sort, in all its annoying glory. A song that sounds stupid and silly and whose chorus is just nonsense, but is actually about being stabbed in the back by everyone who you think cares about you.

Jakebert
03-06-2008, 08:29 PM
R.E.M. are very good at the depressing lyrics that give you hope. "Try Not To Breathe" is about someone drowning themselves, yet it makes you feel incredibly optimistic. Actually, most of "Automatic For The People" makes me feel that way.

A new one: Blink 182 lyrics.

I've been listening to a lot of the Blink 182 that I requested in the music sharing thread, and even though I like a lot of the melodies and stuff, they have some God awful lyrics. "Anthem" and "Anthem pt. 2" are the two biggest offenders for me. Tom tries to be deep in both songs, then includes lines like:

"Forgive our neighbor Bob,
I think he humped the dog".

or

"But good things come to those who wait,
'Cause she laid me".

Really? That's the depth of Tom's psyche? Or the hilariously awful political lyrics from "Anthem part 2."

"Corporate leaders, politicians,
kids can't vote, adults elect them
laws that rule the school and workplace,
signs that caution, sixteen's unsafe."

There's a reason that kids can't vote. Mainly because kids think things like Blink 182 has good lyrics.

bighead384
12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I have this one annoying music elitist friend that thinks he can "claim" bands. Once he's listened to a band first, he acts like they're somehow his territory. It's like he wants others to give him credit for listening to them first, and they become a big part of his identity once he's done so. It's become even more obnoxious now, because he changes the songs in his Myspace profile almost every fucking day, and whenever he does, the artist and song appear in the update box for everyone who is friends with him on Myspace.

Bipolar Bear
12-23-2008, 06:34 PM
The song Chocolate Rain...

Al Coholic
12-23-2008, 09:04 PM
When the gimmicks/persona of the artist/group overshadow or even undermine the music.

Ex: Flavor Flav. Major Label 'metal' bands like mudvayne and sublime

When there's a catchy song you really like, and want to sing along to in your car, but they say "yeah" so many times you fell retarded.

Cheesy R and B. Where the singer could be saying a simple word like "oh" for 12 seconds, with 17 different voice inflexions and the bitch can't even sing that good.

Any rap, R&B, whatever, that says thugs are ideal boyfreinds. Like that beyonce song. actually bitch, you don't want a drug dealing hoodrat. You just want a guy that dresses a certain way and talks a certain way but ultimately treats you no different than any white guy out of a GAP catalog.

When people associate a few awful songs on the radio with an entire genre. And then trash the whole style over a few misinformed stereotypes.
Ex: most people that say they don't like rap music.

Rap musicians that still talk about shit they havent done in over a decade. Its been a long time since Master P made ghetto D, and yet even though he's been a millionaire and hasn't had to do anything illegal for atleast 15 years, he has butfuck nothing to talk about in his new cds. And second generation rap artists talking about shit they know nothing about. I'm talking about kids born into vast wealth that try to be gangsters, like bow wow and master p's kid.

Popular Emo bands, like My Chemical Romance, and christian bands, that talk about rocking out or being hardcore. Just stop it.

Jakebert
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm glad this thread was bumped, as recently I've been annoyed by a few things musically, which are related.

1.) Tenacious D, specifically the song "Fuck You Gently". This song was never all that funny, even the first time I heard it like 5 years ago or however long ago it came out. But somehow, this song refuses to die in terms of popularity, and every damn party I go to where someone has a guitar, this song inevitably gets played while dozens of drunk douchebags sing along and congratulate themselves on doing so. Seriously, why won't this song die??

This kind of relates to my second one...

2.) People who listen to music because it's "funny". Whether because the song is intended to be funny or is so unintentionally, it always bugs me when I hear someone say "hey, you gotta hear this song, it's sooo funny!". I've found out that it almost never actually is. I find this applies to a lot of death metal and corny rap music in terms of songs that are supposed to be unintentionally funny. As for intentionally "funny" songs, most Youtube videos that consist of some guy with an acoustic guitar singing about various pop-culture touchstones in a vulgur was seem to be the most annoying.

jacknife737
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
My main one at the moment is when people (mostly the media) describe bands like Good Charlotte, Fallout Boy, ect as "pop-punk". They're not; they are pop-rock bands that have been influenced by the punk genre. Pop-punk is bands like Dillinger Four, The Decedents, Buzzcocks, ect.

On the flip side to that; people (mostly tru punx) who consider "pop-punk" to be some sort of slur. It isn't, get over it.

bighead384
12-24-2008, 05:23 PM
On the flip side to that; people (mostly tru punx) who consider "pop-punk" to be some sort of slur. It isn't, get over it.

I hate this. I deal with with a lot of people who feel they must look down on pop punk, and pop in general. That's just generally how "the scene" is around where I live. Whether it be lame "tru punx" or pretentious douchebag indie rockers, people act like you're some lower form of life if you don't listen to the same ridiculous, obnoxious shock value bullshit that they do.

Also, I think the first punk bands that were worth remembering, or worthy of the term "musician" had a lot of pop influence in their music.

jacknife737
12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Also, I think the first punk bands that were worth remembering, or worthy of the term "musician" had a lot of pop influence in their music.

This. 10 characters

nameless
12-25-2008, 02:56 PM
young bands, lets just say late teens, that are really popular and succesful by putting out complete rubbish where as say a slightly older band, late 20s, would get slatted at for making the same album.

basically i hate people buying into these bands being touted as the "next big thing" with an "amazing album" when its just some record label pushing them to the most profitable market!

Al Coholic
12-25-2008, 06:06 PM
young bands, lets just say late teens, that are really popular and succesful by putting out complete rubbish where as say a slightly older band, late 20s, would get slatted at for making the same album.

basically i hate people buying into these bands being touted as the "next big thing" with an "amazing album" when its just some record label pushing them to the most profitable market!

Yeah I think this has been said many times in many ways over the thread. Essentially a band/artist that has not so much talented or original musicians, but marketable performers that can be influenced by their producers into making something generic and profitable. The music is usually not that complicated so image and exposure play a greater role than about anything else.

And ofcourse, for those of you sick of the above, they're always looking for a marketable counter-culture sound. Be it punk, metal, grunge, or whatever goths listen to. These genres eventually become fads that fade away or are adapted to be new and trendy again. That cycle's been around for decades and it's predictable. If its great on the undreground, they can give it the image and exposure it needs to be top selling, without changing the music too much so they keep some counter-culture cred. Best not to take anything too seriously and just enjoy the music.

Jakebert
12-25-2008, 11:54 PM
I think that fault falls more with the record labels/music magazines/music TV then the bands themselves, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if you listed the bands you're talking about, I'd dislike them as much as you do, but I don't think you can say the fault over the hype of "the next big thing" is their fault.

Take Coldplay, for instance. Coldplay has recently been touted as one of the best bands in the world right now, despite the fact that they've never once been remotely original in their music, choosing to more or less be carbon copies of bands like U2, Radiohead, R.E.M., or whatever bands they're doing that with on their latest album. But I don't think that Chris Martin sits around thinking about which ways he can gain more hype. I think he honestly believes he's making original, compelling music. But the press picks up on the fact that this music is marketable, then writes it up as being something that it isn't because it sells.

IamSam
12-26-2008, 12:04 AM
But I don't think that Chris Martin sits around thinking about which ways he can gain more hype. I think he honestly believes he's making original, compelling music. But the press picks up on the fact that this music is marketable, then writes it up as being something that it isn't because it sells.

I've had that exact same thought. But what I wonder is what causes them to think this.

adombomb222
12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Disney

Enough said.

dff_punk
12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
1.) Tenacious D, specifically the song "Fuck You Gently". This song was never all that funny, even the first time I heard it like 5 years ago or however long ago it came out. But somehow, this song refuses to die in terms of popularity, and every damn party I go to where someone has a guitar, this song inevitably gets played while dozens of drunk douchebags sing along and congratulate themselves on doing so. Seriously, why won't this song die??

It won't die because there are still newer and newer people on the internet, who haven't heard it or seen it yet. Something is a hit in USA in 2005, and in some other country it might be 2008. And just today I watched the clip for this song again and I love it to death, the music, the lyrics, the video. I still respect you being annoyed with it, just wanted to point this out.

Jakebert
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but the thing is that every other dumb novelty joke song gets popular for a few months, then people get tired of it and it goes away. I don't get why this song, and Tenacious D in general, has that kind of staying power when it's literally just crappy novelty music.

The internet may have a little to do with it, but really, look at all of the novelty/joke songs that get popular each year. How many of them are still popular within a few months after they get noticed? Usually, none. Chocolate Rain, for example, was a massive thing for a while, and now no one gives two shits about it because it was fun for a joke for a while and now the joke is over. New people are still finding it, but no one cares what those new people have to say about it because everyone else already knew about it.

dff_punk
12-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, there must be something "special" about them.. among lots of people they've achieved a somewhat "cult status", which you may not understand why, but it's just like that. And I agree that the majority of internet-youtube jokes get old very quickly. But, still, I have friends who I can show them to and make them laugh.

Al Coholic
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I hate to be this guy, but I gotta say, rap music has become a pet peeve. Not the whole genre, just the shit they play over the radio. Its gone so downhill since the 90s I don't even know what to call it anymore. Its basically the new pop. Its hard to tell the difference between a rap song and a dance song anymore. the lyrics are awful and generic. The artists have nothing to say, and their demenor has gone from artist to persona. These personas are a dime a dozen. Easily immitated, easily replaced. People with real talent fly under the radar. Rap music as I once knew and loved it is dead.

nameless
12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I think that fault falls more with the record labels/music magazines/music TV then the bands themselves, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if you listed the bands you're talking about, I'd dislike them as much as you do, but I don't think you can say the fault over the hype of "the next big thing" is their fault.

Take Coldplay, for instance. Coldplay has recently been touted as one of the best bands in the world right now, despite the fact that they've never once been remotely original in their music, choosing to more or less be carbon copies of bands like U2, Radiohead, R.E.M., or whatever bands they're doing that with on their latest album. But I don't think that Chris Martin sits around thinking about which ways he can gain more hype. I think he honestly believes he's making original, compelling music. But the press picks up on the fact that this music is marketable, then writes it up as being something that it isn't because it sells.

i agree that it is partly down to the label but its really annoying seeing these bands gaining popularity for music thats quite bad just because of their age!

Budzy
12-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Coldplay .

0r4ng3
01-01-2009, 09:30 AM
I hate it when the production quality of a band's albums decreases from one release to another, when it should at least stay the same. A few examples:

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture > The Sufferer and the Witness > Appeal to Reason
Billy Talent - Billy Talent > Billy Talent II (it's subtle, but it's there)
The Offspring - Splinter > Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm > A Weekend in the City (although this one's probably just me)
The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod > Upstairs/Downstairs (I might just have a bad copy, I haven't ruled that out yet)
Anti-Flag - For Blood And Empire > The Bright Lights of America (same as above)
The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger > Manipulator

Songwriting aside, each album sounds worse than it's predecessor.

Free?
01-01-2009, 10:13 AM
The Offspring - Splinter > Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

I completely disagree with this one! RAFRAG>Co1>Splinter
They did some bigger experimenting with the latest album, they were kinda getting nowhere with Splinter, I'm glad they changed direction.
Hammerhead as the first single... No, I completely disagree.

0r4ng3
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about the songs themselves, I was referring to quality, in terms of mixing, mastering, etc.

Also, the arrows are going chronologically, not greater-than-less-than.

nieh
01-01-2009, 12:10 PM
When bands suddenly start recording rhythm/lead guitar tracks when they don't traditionally have them in their songs. This tends to happen more often in bands with only one guitarist. (i.e. the Vandals, although they would still use layered guitars back in the earlier Warren days when the song needed it, it never seemed to be split so dramatically between rhythm/lead)

opivy21
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I hate it when the production quality of a band's albums decreases from one release to another, when it should at least stay the same. A few examples:

The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod > Upstairs/Downstairs (I might just have a bad copy, I haven't ruled that out yet)

I think it might be your copy, because I have Upstairs/Downstairs on cd, and the production is at least comparable to Dorkrockcorkrod.

On a similar tangent to your peeve, it bothers me when the production on albums varies between songs, like when songs are split between different recording sessions at different studios and the difference is noticeable.

bighead384
01-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I can't stand bands that think it's the coolest thing in the world to put audio clips of dialogue before or after every fucking song. Especially when it has nothing to do with the song. A lot of lame hardcore bands from my area like to do that. It's just not cool anymore. If I were in a band, I wouldn't do that unless it was really fitting for the song, because it's so damn cliche now.

"Late again. And yet, Ricky doesn't know why. We do."

^hehe, I like this one though...anyone?^

0r4ng3
01-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah, that's one of my peeves too. It's a major reason I stopped listening to Good Riddance, and why I don't listen to Dillinger Four or Bomb The Music Industry nearly as much as I should.

Jakebert
01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Ugh that one bugs me too. "The Holy Bible" by the Manic Street Preachers would be one of my favorite albums of all time if it weren't for the fact that almost every song on that album has an audio clip of dialogue before it.

Al Coholic
01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah, and when the guitar on an album may be different from the bands last album, but they do nothing to change the the tone/distortion/anything and all the songs sound the same.

Example: Insomniac by Green Day