PDA

View Full Version : Regarding a Chatroom

Moses
01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey,
Just wanted to say I've been coming to the site for awhile now and just started posting on the forums. I remember going to the chatroom once and it being totally hectic making things hard to actually talk about. As I saw in another topic here though, I think users would enjoy a chatroom that wasn't so.... crazy.

So I thought I'd run this idea by both Users and the Administration of this site. I help run and IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Network, we have a pretty good community and strong dedicated servers, and we'd more than happy to have you guys make a channel on our servers. IRC allows you to make and run a channel. You can appoint users to Operate the channel, kicking or banning disruptive users. The administration has FULL control over the channel (aka chatroom) and can add or remove Operator or other access levels. Also IRC allows you to REGISTER your nickname, stopping any type of identity misunderstandings.

If you guys are interested I can get into specifics about how (some of you may already be familiar with IRC) it works, a list of commands, and our network/server statistics.

Well I hope you'll like this idea. All feedback is appreciated. Feel free to PM or Email me with any questions

greencows12
01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
i'll make you a chatroom and post a link, if you'll shut up and never mention the chatroom here again.

Radi0_havana52
01-05-2005, 09:13 PM
i'll make you a chatroom and post a link, if you'll shut up and never mention the chatroom here again.
nicely said

UgLy_eLf
01-05-2005, 10:25 PM
I honestly can't see why some of you are so opposed to having a chatroom, will it ever affect you? Nah, if you stay the fuck out, let the chatters have their chat.

greencows12
01-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I honestly can't see why some of you are so opposed to having a chatroom, will it ever affect you? Nah, if you stay the fuck out, let the chatters have their chat.I'm not opposed to people having a chatroom, i'm just sick of people bringing up this topic and asking the same question over and over again, so that that's why I made this chatroom for offspring fans, and I put it on the forum. It's not digichat, but digichat kept freezing my computer anyways.:D

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3161

Moses
01-06-2005, 05:58 AM
I wasn't asking a question, I was purposing a solution. That's a nice chatroom, but like I was saying, with an IRC chat you can have people (users like yourself) run the chatroom. So if (like I read in another topic) you have people private messaging others to "cyber" or people that flood the room, you can remove them and keep them out by banning there ISP host mask.

There are also multiple ways of connecting to an IRC server and chatroom. The easiest is a java application (which we can provide) that lets you start chatting instantly from the web site. Another way is by downoading IRC clients like mIRC or Xchat.

Also I might have missed it, but I didn't see any way to register nicknames on that chat, which is another thing you can do on IRC chats.

I'm not trying to bug anyone, or overkill a situation, just trying to provide an alternative easier way to chat.

BabyLegs
01-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey,
If you guys are interested I can get into specifics about how (some of you may already be familiar with IRC) it works, a list of commands, and our network/server statistics.

Well I hope you'll like this idea. All feedback is appreciated. Feel free to PM or Email me with any questions

You are more than welcome to create an Offspring channel on IRC, but I do not believe that the band nor the band's management has the time to moderate.

Moses
01-08-2005, 07:43 AM
I was thinking that the Administration could select members from here to operate the chatroom.

Noodles is gay
01-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I wasn't asking a question, I was purposing a solution.

That is the craziest spelling of proposing i've ever seen!

I was thinking that the Administration could select members from here to operate the chatroom.

That would never work. If there was a chat room it would need to be run by the admins not the people here; here they just don't possess the experience.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-08-2005, 08:36 PM
This thing is a frikin chat room dumbass

Linda
01-08-2005, 10:11 PM
No, this thing is a frickin message board dumbass.

greencows12
01-08-2005, 10:24 PM
You wanna really cool chatroom? http://rocketsnail.com/penguin/index.html