PDA

View Full Version : I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather...

Mota Boy
02-28-2008, 01:58 AM
...not screaming and crying like all the passengers on the plane.

Seriously though, there are plenty of ways to die. I'm aiming for the peaceful sort, but I keep vague, ranked hierarchy in my head.

And this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident) is now officially at the fucking bottom. I do not ever, under any circumstances, want my death certificate to cite "unknown compelling force" as the primary cause of death when my body is found under a pile of snow in a remote part of the Ural mountains missing its... well, just read on yourself for one of the most perplexing and terrifying mysteries in the past half-century. Oh, and just to make it creepier, here (http://infodjatlov.narod.ru/fg4/index.htm) are old black-and-white photos taken by the expedition, including images of the campsite, prior to whatever the fuck resulted in the death of all nine of them.

wheelchairman
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Things like this always make me super impatient, cause I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

Drafan
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
There will be a light at the end of the tunnel, but donīt follow it, go back if you can!! :eek:

Rag Doll
02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
fucking weird.

what are your thoughts on what happened?

wheelchairman
02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
This vaguely reminds me of the Tunguska explosion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_explosion) Which really isn't a mystery but neat nonetheless.

Andy
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Fuck I really, REALLY want to watch some X-Files right now.

And undoubtedly, the freakiest part of that story is "The tent had been ripped from within".

Nicole
02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I can think of a few things that I would rank lower than that. Fluid retention that drowns you so you can't breathe, secondary bone cancers... I'm sure my pathophysiology book should be renamed "unbelievably shitty ways to die and these will most likely kill you or leave you wishing you would die". I think dying in some crazy Russian expidition that reaches wikipedia fame would be kind of neat, it's different, it's memorable and I would take hypothermia over a lot of things provided it was rapid. So long as it wasn't worthy of a darwin award maybe different would be kind of cool.

HornyPope
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't really care if they never discover my cause of death. It keeps it interesting.

If I had to choose my death, all I ask for is to die standing.

T-6005
02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I want to fight. A lot.

iPunk247
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
My death will never ever be a sad one because I will know they will celebrate it happily and fuck it I don't care anymore. I am a no EMO soul but a shy one.

Mota Boy
02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I think dying in some crazy Russian expidition that reaches wikipedia fame would be kind of neat, it's different, it's memorable and I would take hypothermia over a lot of things provided it was rapid.The cold wasn't what killed them. Their official cause of death is not hypothermia, but "unknown compelling force" - just as being held down under water isn't officially drowning (but murder), this ain't hypothermia. That's what gets me - running out into -30 weather wearing only underwear is, essentially, asking to die. Everybody, particularly an experienced group of cross-country skiers, knows that.

To me, it's the details surrounding the deaths - their last moments were so goddamn terrifying, that they left the safety of their tents in the dead of night to face certain death rather than stay behind for another millisecond. Imagine how powerful that absolute blind terror must have been to cause them to flee, and that's how they spent their final moments - in an absolute, out-of-their-mind panic, running as fast as they possibly could away from... something. Something that managed to hunt down and kill four of them in the middle of night in a remote forest in sub-zero weather while the rest huddled together, awaiting a fate of certain death either by hypothermia or by whatever the fuck killed the other members. Secondary bone cancer may suck, but I would greatly appreciate the time to say goodbye to my loved ones and mentally prepare myself for my passing (not to mention that it's onset would be more likely to occur later in life)... I'd take that in a heartbeat over something so terrifying I'd rather freeze to death than face it (and still not get away in time - remember, hypothermia only led to the deaths of five of the nine).

Sam - I have no clue. If anything, I think "secret Soviet experiment" fits most likely within probably reality, but a missing tongue? What the fuck? Perhaps months after the death, a small animal managed to eat the tongue and leave no other obvious signs of its presence, which is pretty far-fetched. Aliens are an easy explanation because then you don't have to explain anything else - just say "I don't know, aliens." and their mysterious, otherworldly technology and logic could be imagined to explain anything. When reading it, I couldn't help but think back to the end of "The Thing". Ultimately, though, I'm just surfing along on the mind-bogglingness of it all.

Lizardus
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/image.php?u=151&type=sigpic&dateline=1174939647
i have a pretty good idea of what happened.

But seriously now, it was probably a communist werewolf.

batfish
02-29-2008, 04:22 AM
I love stories like these, even though they freak me out just reading them. I keep looking behind me. It raises so many questions.

What were they doing only partially dressed inside their tents? I can understand taking a few layers of clothing off to go to sleep, but why were 2 people dressed only in their underwear?

The remains of a fire were found. Was this made before the compelling force or after? If after, why did they feel safe enough to make a fire that would surely attract the attantion of whatever they were scared of -and if it had gone, why not go all the way back to camp and get dressed?

The four bodies found together were the ones that didn't die of hypothermia, but of crushing pressure. An avalanche could have caused them to panic, but it doesn't explain the paranormal events (orange orbs etc) or the victims having orange faces. No signs of an avalanche were reported either.

MrJoe
02-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Indeed, X-Files springs to mind...

*Cue for the legendary X-Files music*

Nicole
02-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Claiborne- I get what you mean I was just dicking around with some of the finer points of the whole thing, especially your raking of undesirable deaths. I like the morbid arguments and expressing the variety of shitty ways for death to happen.

I'm leaning very heavily towards human intervention on the whole case after a bit of thought, the circumstances are just too suspicious and people don't always tell the truth. You can't for sure know if there was anybody else out there, theres no register for movement of people to that degree. And to be honest that's a pretty outlandish cause of death which doesn't really say a thing and apparently it's official and doesn't really say much about the actual specific cause, just circumstances. It might be a complete crapshot of an observation but it just doesn't feel right to me, at this stage in time. Might change my mind on that because the complexity of the whole thing is doing my head in.

Alien intervention is so far fetched it's not even worth consideration when you truly cannot rule out human intervention, either from within the group (never know, weren't there and people do crazy things) or from some other human force.

Sunny
02-29-2008, 05:38 AM
"Forensic radiation tests had shown high doses of radioactive contamination on the clothes of a few victims. These test results were not taken into account for the final verdict."

what??

dude. that's terrifying.