PDA

View Full Version : it's sad how accurate this is.

Sunny
03-01-2008, 06:17 PM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com

i'm lol-ing, but deep down... well. i feel dirty.

discuss.

JohnnyNemesis
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I've been on that site for quite a while, actually. It's completely brilliant and dead-on accurate about 99.99999999999% of the time.

wheelchairman
03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I know you're joking, but this perahps only applies to Americans?

I read like the first 5. Very funny, but I could only think of one person that applies.

One very annoying person.

who absolutely loves Mos Def.

Sunny
03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
i think a lot of might be US-specific... and i know tons of people like that. HORDES.

JohnnyNemesis
03-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I know you're joking, but this perahps only applies to Americans?

Yeah, only Americans. But I wasn't joking (couldn't tell if you were directing that towards me or her); it's completely true and applies to almost every white person I know.

Endymion
03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
come now, the only ones that apply to me are michel gondry and recycling, and even then it's only half-hearted.

but yuppie-wise, dead on.

wheelchairman
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Haha wow. I can only think of one person.

However this person is not American so there is some internationalism to it.

lol I do say films though. Always have, did it without thinking.

Sunny
03-01-2008, 06:43 PM
i hate to say that while i hate wes anderson movies and film festivals, the whole thing hits close to home, which is why i'm cracking up yet feeling somewhat uncomfortable. =p

i even have that metal sigg bottle, god damn it. whiteyyyy.

Cock Joke
03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I certainly like bottled water, bikes, and Sarah Silverman. Most of the other stuff I don't care for too much, but Japan has always peaked my interest a bit.

Homer
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Meh, I didn't find it to be that funny. Though, I did like the one about how white people just stand around at local shows, except as I was reading I was thinking "WTF, everybody does that!"

wheelchairman
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I think interest in Japan would go under a list of people titled "People I don't Want To Know".

EDIT: #62 is golden.

Nicole
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Crazy stuff. I've threatened to move to Canada many a time, still keen on it. I don't get this bottled water phenomenon though, I usually buy them and refill them from the tap at home, which has no filter.

Andy
03-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Who is Mos Def?

IamSam
03-01-2008, 07:50 PM
So...by me not finding myself like any of this...does that make me non-white?

Lodat225
03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Who is Mos Def?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Get out.

Endymion
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
:( i should have looked at the second page. a lot more apply to my white ass.

ps:

WARNING: under no circumstances should you EVER list Dane Cook as your favorite comedian. The wrong kind of white people like him. And mentioning him will cause white people to lose all respect for you.

wheelchairman
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The multilingual children thing became quite evident in the Education thread in politics forum.

EDIT: #54 about cooking definitely applies to two people I work in a group at uni with. Although one of them is from Bolivia so that doesn't count...

BREAK
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
So what you are really talking about on this blog is “stuff a small minority of well-educated urban, hipster whites like”, and not the grand majority of white Americans.

This comment was truth. Therefore, the whole concept fails.

Putting coffee at #1 was perfect, though. That shit's universal.

Mota Boy
03-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I was gonna post something to the effect of what Break just posted with one addition - it's well-educated, coastal urban hipster whites.

wheelchairman
03-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Well that much is pretty clear once you read a little bit. (Also I think the irony is meant by the exaggeration, that *all* white people are like that. It's in the title you know.)

I just didn't want to be rude. :(

Apathy
03-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Eh.

I don't agree.

0r4ng3
03-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I agree with (and happen to like) most of the things from the page. I totally knew I was secretly a white person.

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2008, 01:44 AM
So...by me not finding myself like any of this...does that make me non-white?

No, it just makes you defensive.

This comment was truth.

Nah, it was defensive bullshit.

I hate white people.

I'm only admitting that 'cause I'm drunk.

Fuck.

IamSam
03-02-2008, 01:54 AM
No, it just makes you defensive.

Well thank you...I'm glad you could explain this for me Jedi Master.

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
I have this weird combined feeling of totally wanting to apologize to you and also wanting to tell you to fuck off. Please accept both in honest and equal amounts.

ninthlayer
03-02-2008, 02:25 AM
J.nem, motherfuck the idea of an apology.

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Word up. Kill whitey.

Llamas
03-02-2008, 02:37 AM
I think most of it just applies to Americans in general, regardless of color. Americans are obsessed with having multilingual children. I teach at a Spanish immersion elementary school on Tuesdays. It's kinda crazy how many people fork out the dough for their kids to learn Spanish. However, half the kids in the school are black.

And only Americans threaten to move to Canada, haha.

And on study abroad programs, I've always noticed a huge variety of races, so that one is just lame. :P That really should just say that people who can afford study abroad programs like them. ;)

Recycling?? uhh...

But I did lol at the "knowing what's best for poor people", cause that is so true at least of Americans. And Japan... what the fuck is up with Americans being so obsessed with Japan? It's really annoying.

A lot of this stuff I haven't heard of or don't know people who are into, so I can't comment on it. But it's kind of amusing.

killer_queen
03-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Hey guys, do you want to hear something funny?

Wordpress.com is banned in Turkey. :(

wheelchairman
03-02-2008, 02:55 AM
That is pretty funny.

Vera
03-02-2008, 03:24 AM
I'll white-test myself.

* #78 Multilingual Children - As a Euro, it's kind of a given to me. Knowing languages rocks.
* #77 Musical Comedy - Ehhh I've seen some singing comedy acts from the States, am not too into them. Just do stand up, geez.
* #76 Bottles of Water - I like drinking water from a bottle but it's usually tap water.
* #75 Threatening to Move to Canada - Um no. :D
* #74 Oscar Parties - Nooooo way.
* #73 Gentrification - Say what.
* #72 Study Abroad - Would like to, yes.
* #71 Being the only white person around - Coming from such a ethnically diverse country as Finland (93% Finnish-speaking Finns, 6% Swedish-speaking Finns, 1% something else), it is slightly awkward for me to be the only white person at a place. I'm pro-multicultural but very rarely exposed to it.
* #70 Difficult Breakups - Never had any break-ups.
* #69 Mos Def - Hmm, nah.
* #68 Michel Gondry - Hated Eternal Sunshine. Eurgh.
* #67 Standing Still at Concerts - Only when my feet hurties. :(
* #66 Divorce - Never had any.
* #65 Co-Ed Sports - NO.
* #64 Recycling - YES.

Mota Boy
03-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Hey guys, do you want to hear something funny?

Wordpress.com is banned in Turkey.Psst (www.anonymouse.org), it doesn't have to be.

Rick, you wacky reverse-discrimihatin' foo'. I imagine that if I went to a small liberal arts school on the East Coast, I'd hate white people too.

On an amusing note, I was talking to some East Coast ditz a while ago about China, and she was recounting a couple of instances when she had been treated ill by the Chinese. She capped it off by stating, difficultly, scrunching up her face as if she was struggling with the very concept, "I mean, it's like... some sort of reverse racism, or something." The then looked at me, as if I could help her figure out this mystery, of what on Earth could explain something that felt just like racism, but couldn't possibly be, because the colored people were doing it.

Sunny
03-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I'll white-test myself.

i did too. guilty on 45 counts (i counted!)

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Rick, you wacky reverse-discrimihatin' foo'. I imagine that if I went to a small liberal arts school on the East Coast, I'd hate white people too.

I mean, yeah. I'm glad/appreciate that you understand that. I'm also super appreciative of your distinction between discriminatin' and discrimihatin'.

I'm never totally serious when I say that shit, but that's obvious by now. It's just a little scary to me how much I mean it sometimes compared to others.

On an amusing note, I was talking to some East Coast ditz a while ago about China, and she was recounting a couple of instances when she had been treated ill by the Chinese. She capped it off by stating, difficultly, scrunching up her face as if she was struggling with the very concept, "I mean, it's like... some sort of reverse racism, or something." The then looked at me, as if I could help her figure out this mystery, of what on Earth could explain something that felt just like racism, but couldn't possibly be, because the colored people were doing it.

Jesus effing hell.

IamSam
03-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I have this weird combined feeling of totally wanting to apologize to you and also wanting to tell you to fuck off. Please accept both in honest and equal amounts.

LMAO. Understandable. And whole heartedly accepted on all counts.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
lol Ricky, you like David Sedaris! U R so wite!

The site's pretty funny. Even though it's all about hipsters from San Francisco, it's pretty hard to argue with the name. It's just meant to drill in the fact that all of the people who like that stuff are white- not that all white people like that stuff (except for Ricky liking David Sedaris, lol). Sometimes I wonder whether white hippies have ever thought about why all hippies are white. Doesn't that automatically mean that their movement of self-proclaimed racial and cultural awareness and understanding fails?

I like that they threw in a few items like "indie rock" that only white people are supposed to like in the first place, because otherwise it would just come off as someone pissed off about white people liking "other people's" culture. My only problem with the site is that it comes dangerously close to that anyway. It's almost advocating a one-to-one relationship between race and culture, which is bullshit.

But whatever. I love me some multilingual children, recycling, Arrested Development, David Sedaris, traveling, living by the water, and being an expert on YOUR culture. நல்ல வெளெயாட்டு, faggots.

I like other white stuff not on that list. New Zealand, complaining about American geography and foreign language education, and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Conclusion: Whaddaya know? I'm white!

HornyPope
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I have no fucking clew what 95% of this means. It all seems like a lot of bull. The only part I sort of dimly grasped was "bottled water" (we do drink from bottles, who doesn't?) and languages (but since I'm French that hardly counts). Mos Def, comedies, Sarah Silverman, obscure designer thingies - all this is quite alien to me - and I doubt anybody around these parts actually gives a shit.

I DID meet one or two persons who wanted to move to Canada - but most say the accent is too bad and you freeze your nose off every night.

Also: recycling? quid?

You don't understand those references because you don't live in the 21st century. They're not at all obsecure.

GBH2
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
almost none of those apply to me. i fucking loathe sarah silverman. Japan is gay. indie music? wtf
arrested development was great, but more of a cult favorite

most of these are either sterotypes of upper middle class americans, or tree huggers (prius, recycling), or just an obvious (and failed) attempt to be funny.

about everything could be categorized as stuff homosexuals like, or stuff wealthy baby-boomers like.

edit: gah, the more i read the more i hate this stuff. this is lame to the nth degree

another edit: i actually decided to read more than just the titles. some of it is actually kind of funny. sue me.

T-6005
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
arrested development was great, but more of a cult favorite

I think you're wrong there. Arrested Development used to be a cult favorite, but now everyone and their grandmother can quote GOB Bluth.

Don't get me wrong - I'm one of those people who discovered it when it went off the air, just like nearly everyone else I know who has watched it. I don't mind that many people like it - it's a great show, after all - but I do hate hearing people quote Tobias or GOB or anyone else.

Anyway, that's off the point. Everyone acts like Arrested Development is one of those things with a small but fanatical following. It really isn't. The fact that they're considering making a movie out of it should be testament enough to that fact.

Sunny
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
You don't understand those references because you don't live in the 21st century. They're not at all obsecure.

ow snap!

GBH2, i love how your contribution went from "OMG BULLSHIT" through "I HATE IT" to "oh wait, I actually read it". wow. impressed.

Homer
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I think you're wrong there. Arrested Development used to be a cult favorite, but now everyone and their grandmother can quote GOB Bluth..

Wait, what? There's only about 4 people I know who watch(ed) the show (including myself). Most people I know don't even know about it.

coke_a_holic
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, T, I can only think of a small group of people who have seen Arrested Development; I don't think it's as popular as you make it out to be, but I also don't think its as obscure as its main fans claim it is. I watched a few episodes sprinkled about when it was on, but not enough to understand the whole storyline or the recurring jokes; it was after it was canceled that I felt urged to check out everything from episode 1. I still think it's the height of recent television.

Also, after reading a few of the things, I found that I liked the concept/the truth of the ideas more than the actual writing. I would see, like, "#___: ______" and be overjoyed that they had found out my secrets; then would feel cheated as I read the rest of the article because it wasn't as funny as the initial reaction to seeing it on the list.

Endymion
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
almost everyone i know has at least seen a few episodes.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
My roommate is a big Mos Def fan, frequently stating "Ya know, Mos Def is the only rapper I really like," and "His lyrics are actually intelligent," and "He's a really good actor too!" I just showed him this blog and he flipped out. It was hilarious to watch his genuine heartbreak when he found out that white people like Mos Def.

He had a sense of humor about it though, and genuinely appreciated most of the other stuff on the blog.

WebDudette
03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
A lot of them are incredibly true to me, though they apply to no one else in my family. I'm white hipster scum : (.

I especially like this:

If you mention a band you like and the other person has heard of them, you lose. They own you. It is essential that you like the most obscure music possible.

Sunny
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
A lot of them are incredibly true to me, though they apply to no one else in my family. I'm white hipster scum : (.

you and me both, m'dear.

Rag Doll
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
i also feel dirty that a lot of this applies to me =\

and uh...that indie music one is a bit too accurate to my life sometimes =\

wheelchairman
10-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I thought this might be relevant...

SUP 2 YEARS AGO?
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-real-stuff-white-people-like/

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Just a quick glance shows me that white people like 'the offspring' and black people like 'I am cool', both of these make me laugh.

wheelchairman
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
If you go further Asians like being simple, and Latinos like being funny. :p

Although you gotta keep in mind its a dating site, they are describing and selling themselves.

But mostly I found it funny that the stuff real white people like is closer to the opposite of the stereotype. Well except for 'golfing' and 'boating'. Amusingly 'boats' also appears there and I'm willing to bet that people who wrote 'boating' have nothing in common with people who like 'boats'.

The most disappointing thing though is how many white guys like 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Did anyone actually laugh out loud when they read that book? It was more like reading 'Frasier' than anything else.

I know what you're thinking, 'Frasier? Wtf is Frasier?'

p.s. Further investigation has shown that White Guys, and Latino Guys are the only ones prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
The website is definitely about trendy hipster white people and not average joe white people. I read little bit more on the okcupid site, some of this information is pretty interesting. I want to do some more in depth reading when I'm not so absurdly tired.

Definitely never read Hitchhikers Guide, I didn't even watch the movie. I have laughed at bits and pieces of Fraiser, never really watched it though.

nieh
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
The most disappointing thing though is how many white guys like 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Did anyone actually laugh out loud when they read that book?
Yes. And with pretty much everything else Douglas Adams has done as well.

p.s. Further investigation has shown that White Guys, and Latino Guys are the only ones prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.
It's gonna be a total sausage-fest, but at least there'll be no black guys to steal all the non-existent women-folk.

I didn't even watch the movie.
You don't want to.

wheelchairman
10-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Nieh, do you also enjoy Spin City?

nieh
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I've only seen a couple episodes, but I like Scrubs and Clone High and those were all created by the same people, so I might?