PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to hate Windows Vista

Splinter[PI]
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Umm, I decided to make a thread about the crappy vista.

I don't like it because its a bluescreengenerator, slooooooooow data transfer, the explorer dies very often and is just solw at all...

XP ftw!

so it's your turn, tell about your problems with vista...

Endymion
03-08-2008, 05:11 PM
seeing as i've never used it, i have no complaints.

IamSam
03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
What do I hate about Vista? One word:

Microshaft.

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
You forgot the dollar sign...

sKratch
03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't really have any big problems with Vista...

IamSam
03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
You forgot the dollar sign...

Oh yes, thank you.

Micro$haft.

GreenTerror
03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Hating anything Microsoft just makes people think they're cool.

JohnnyNemesis
03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
seeing as i've never used it, i have no complaints.

Yeah, same here.

Hating anything Apple does the same, unfortunately.

Kitten
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I haven't had any issues with Vista at all, The only thing I can say about it is that in is a bit of a resource hog. Never had a blue screen on it either.
I tend to like it a little better than XP, simply because it doesn't crash on me as much.

T-6005
03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Can't autoupdate because of a syncing error that the Vista clock has. Totally retarded.

Cock Joke
03-08-2008, 07:35 PM
The only issue I have is the fact that it won't take CD's sometimes because of a filter or two. These fuckernauts need to get on this issue pronto! When a computer can't take CD's because of the program it's running on, that's a bigass problem!!!

Other than that, I think Vista's fantastic.

Sunny
03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
i only hate vista because it makes me feel like i have a bigger penis. duh.

nevermind the fact that it slows down my shit, freezes a lot and makes me want to never use my pc besides the occassional FIFA game.

Biggest offspring fan
03-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Cause it bugs when you're playing games...

IamSam
03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I'll launch my tirade:

It is virtually impossible to go straight from XP into Vista and even pretend like you know what the heck you are doing. I set up residents computers in a dorm of a university and all the freshman had to bring brand new laptops with Vista loaded onto them. I've spent hours trying to figure out how you mess with ethernet card and network settings to no avail. I also hate that it tends to lead you in circles when you are attempting to actually get somewhere in the control panel.

Also, the lack of back compatibility. Games designed for Vista do not work on XP. That chaffs my butt.

IamSam
03-08-2008, 08:25 PM

I don't hate anything Microsoft, in fact, I'm actually in love with Word and Powerpoint '07.

I hate Microsoft in general because they tend to lean away from functional to superfluous with how they go about upgrading things. Instead of making a new operating system that is just as functional as XP, or more so, they totally redesigned the wheel and made it less functional. Plus the whole releasing of things with massive bugs is kind of an annoyance.

Endymion
03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
on the technical side, vista is a steaming pile of shit. the userspace is a nightmare of security, compatibility, and feature kludges. the 'new' security model is garbage at best. on the plus side, many of the new feature kludges on their own are pretty solid. voice & hand writing recognition is some of the best around.

Lizardus
03-08-2008, 08:48 PM
;1087518']Umm, I decided to make a thread about the crappy vista.

I don't like it because its a bluescreengenerator, slooooooooow data transfer, the explorer dies very often and is just solw at all...

XP ftw!

so it's your turn, tell about your problems with vista...

Activation.

I used to have the same problem as you, formating solved it.

SuperKnux
03-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Well I like Vista.

Nothing wrong on my end.

Splinter[PI]
03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKaQ3HpLKJk

very funny, especially the Aeorflip part^^

IamSam
03-09-2008, 04:34 AM
;1087622']http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKaQ3HpLKJk

Hahahaha...same filtration as cigs...

DirtyYeso
03-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Hating anything Apple does the same, unfortunately.

It's cool to hate :)
I actually have just one complain about it, I don't like the the thing that pops-up every time I run a program, but I think it's pretty cool.

Paint_It_Black
03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I recently bought a new PC. I don't know much about computers, so I simply went to a store and bought one, which meant I had no choice but to get Vista.

I really don't like it so far. I had no complaints with XP, and Vista seems to have changed a bunch of stuff for no real reason, and added a bunch of crap I never wanted. Plus my printer is apparently not compatible with Vista, so I guess I need a new printer. How the hell is a printer not compatible? It's just a printer!

But mostly I just use my computer for browsing the internet, so that's not a problem for me. I just don't see why they felt the need to kill XP and give us Vista. Is it just to make shitloads more money? That seems to be the consensus amongst my IT buddies.

Llamas
03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I bought my laptop during the time when they clearanced all the computers because they were bringing in new models with Vista on them. I got a voucher that I could mail in to get a free copy of Vista, but I chose not to. I like XP, and I've tried Vista a few times only to be left annoyed. I've also been meaning for quite some time to try/learn Linux... I'm lazy.

sk8ter-hater
03-09-2008, 02:35 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/minimoose51/Untitled.jpg
there's a scroll for when you want to use programs and you don't have a shortcut for it in the desktop. if you're a minimalist like me, it'll get a little annoying.

Splinter[PI]
03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
you can remove those tray icons, but I've got a german version of vista, so I can't exactly say you where...

I'll try: task bar-->right click-->abilities-->info area(really dunno what's it called in english vista)-->customize, and there will be the tray icons, you can display them or in your case you hide'em.

sk8ter-hater
03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
OH! Thanks a lot.

Splinter[PI]
03-09-2008, 03:12 PM
no problem... if you hate vista, you have to make the best out of it...

Biggest offspring fan
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
;1087622']http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKaQ3HpLKJk

haha fun vid...

Endymion
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
;1087796']no problem... if you hate vista, you have to make the best out of it...

or, you know, not use it.

Lizardus
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I've also been meaning for quite some time to try/learn Linux... I'm lazy.

Linux is actually quite nice, i have used it on several occasions.

I have been meaning to switch to Linux, but i am pretty comfortable with Windows and there's that thing about having to use some kid of emulator to run stuff that's not compatible.

Endymion
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I have been meaning to switch to Linux, but i am pretty comfortable with Windows and there's that thing about having to use some kid of emulator to run stuff that's not compatible.

a) Wine Is Not an Emulator (it's a compatibility layer, and lately google's been working on it)
b) what stuff that's not compatible? if you want to use linux, of course you're not going to use the same programs, totally different binary formats and abis. many linux programs can read and write the file-formats of their windows brethren. also, many programs are built cross platform (firefox, openoffice, etc).

Llamas
03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Now that I'm back in MN, I'm living near a good friend who's what I'd call a Linux expert, and he told me that if I ever wanted to learn Linux, he'd totally help me. So I may be doing that in the near future, if I'm not too awfully lazy. :P

Most of the programs I use a lot work on Linux... like Open Office, Firefox, Pidgin... doesn't VLC media player work? I'd have to find a new music player (I use winamp), and an alternative to Skype... dunno what else. But we'll see if/when it happens.

Endymion
03-09-2008, 07:02 PM
doesn't VLC media player work? I'd have to find a new music player (I use winamp), and an alternative to Skype... dunno what else. But we'll see if/when it happens.

vlc was originally on linux. xmms/bmp/a few others are very similar to winamp, skype makes a linux version.

nieh
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't like the fact that I spent money to get 4 GB of RAM and vista only recognizes that I have 3.

also, why can't I find add/remove programs or anything similar?

Lizardus
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't like the fact that I spent money to get 4 GB of RAM and vista only recognizes that I have 3.

also, why can't I find add/remove programs or anything similar?
Go to My Computer, it's there on the menu bar.

nieh
03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Not that that's not a sensible place to put it like as a shortcut or something, but it seems like it should still be in the control panel as well.

calichix
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I have windows vista. explain to me in normal person terms why it sucks.

nieh
03-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Well, aside from the fact that it only recognizes that I have 3GB of ram when I actually have 4 which sucks, I haven't seen many problems with it so far. It starts off treating you like a baby asking permission every single time you try to do ANYTHING which is really annoying but you can turn that off. Also, as Per said, it seems like they changed certain things from previous windows versions just for the sake of changing them. I think most of the complaints are just because it's different and people didn't get used to them yet, although I have heard of bigger issues than that like certain programs not running properly on it and stuff.

wheelchairman
03-10-2008, 06:08 AM
hey if you're mixing me up with PIB that's cool.

nieh
03-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I'm not really sure how I did that.

Paint_It_Black
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
It could have something to do with dilithium.

Nicole
03-11-2008, 12:25 AM
My experience with Vista has been very limited, because I'm not stupid enough to load it on my PC. So these are just some casual observations.

- You need a billion GHz and RAM and all that jazz to run it.

- It runs REALLLLYY SLOOOOW. I've spent a fair bit of time waiting for networked computers to load up at Uni. Last year we had XP, it was a pain in the butt. This year they have Vista. So same computers. The time to boot up one of thse things, and I'm sure they actually upgraded their shitty IBM workstations too, is incredible. Incredible in the bad sense. It takes a good 5 minutes of your life just to turn the damn thing on and have it load up your user settings. I'm learning to make friends with the very few iMacs.

- Gaming. WTF. I don't have much time for games but none the less I expressed this to my dad before I got offloaded this PC of mine and he was asking me the XP or Vista question. Conversation goes something like "So, I hear Vista doesn't run some games" reply "Oh but you can have XP installed too to run those games". I really don't see the point.

I'm still kind of happy with my XP, it's the most stable microsoft platform and even though my browsers still seem to crash left right and centre, that's about the only glitch I have. Next step forward in OS for me is either Linux or a Mac platform, not that I can afford a Mac.

JohnnyNemesis
03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
lolz, I just downloaded Parallels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop) for my MacBook and it was all like "o y helo do u wan run XP or Vista" and I lol'd. I was like "XP ok thx!"

MrJoe
03-11-2008, 06:29 AM
I got my laptop in January 2007, and it came with a 'free upgrade to vista premium' when it came out. I sent off for it as it was free. I spent ages deciding whether to upgrade my system or not. I eventually decided to create another partition with XP on it, so I could have both. Some say its pointless, but I don't. For now I mostly use XP, particularly my external 5.1 surround sound card doesn't work with Vista.
But the XP I have is downloaded, and I don't get the updates so some things do crash sometimes. Even though XP is still, in my opinion, the best Windows, I'm sure sooner or later most things Windows based are going to need Vista or something, which is why I've decided to have both.

I also have a Linux operating system on another partition so I get the best of each one of them.

Vista itself is, as others said, a resource hog, but for me not as much as I think is portrayed. My laptop is only slightly slower on Vista than with XP, and I have a basic integrated graphics card, 2gb ram, and 1.6Ghz dual processor, so nothing amazing.

nieh
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
- Gaming. WTF. I don't have much time for games but none the less I expressed this to my dad before I got offloaded this PC of mine and he was asking me the XP or Vista question. Conversation goes something like "So, I hear Vista doesn't run some games" reply "Oh but you can have XP installed too to run those games". I really don't see the point.

I'm still kind of happy with my XP, it's the most stable microsoft platform and even though my browsers still seem to crash left right and centre, that's about the only glitch I have. Next step forward in OS for me is either Linux or a Mac platform, not that I can afford a Mac.

If I'm not mistaken, you can set Vista up to emulate XP so that the games it can't play on it's own it can play that way. My friend wasn't able to play Archlord until he learned that and it worked fine afterwards. Also, I think Windows 2000 is probably the most stable Microsoft system I've seen. I'd never had any problems with it that I can remember and I had it for years.

MrJoe
03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Also, I think Windows 2000 is probably the most stable Microsoft system I've seen. I'd never had any problems with it that I can remember and I had it for years.

This is backed up by the number of businesses that still use this and never even upgraded to XP.

Paint_It_Black
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
That doesn't necessarily mean that operating system is good. It's just good enough for whatever they need. Many businesses don't need anything fancy at all, and won't waste money upgrading until absolutely necessary.

nieh
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
It's very stable and I've never had any problems with slowness or it not being compatible with anything. It may be a little bare-bones compared to XP or Vista but it's solid.

Lizardus
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Not that that's not a sensible place to put it like as a shortcut or something, but it seems like it should still be in the control panel as well.
It is, i think it's named "Programs and Features".

Paint_It_Black
03-12-2008, 05:54 AM
It's very stable and I've never had any problems with slowness or it not being compatible with anything. It may be a little bare-bones compared to XP or Vista but it's solid.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the other guy's statement didn't necessarily prove it.

nieh
03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Service Pack 1 was released the other day and now my computer recognizes all 4 GB of ram. Yay!

the_offsprings_monkey
03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I never knew Linux was so beautiful ;'(! Also the end of this video is pure brilliance!

The Video (http://www.youtube.com/user/tearbd2)

The Talking Pie
03-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Beryl is all eye-candy, and those systems you see in that video are tweaked to no end. You'll want to take an axe to the computer by the time you've got it doing all that. Out of the box, Vista just works.

However, Fedora Core 8 ships with some of those fancy effects, and is a nice OS to run in parallel with Windows, so I would recommend it.

nieh
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm debating installing a version of Linux just to see how it is. If I were to get Fedora, what from here (http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora) do I have to download? Install Media, Fedora Desktop Live Media, Fedora KDE Live Media or all three?

The Talking Pie
03-22-2008, 02:21 PM
They're two different kinds. The top one's for installing onto a hard drive. The bottom two are to burn onto a CD and boot from there, not touching the hard drive at all. I'd suggest this approach, if you just want a taste.

Of the two, you can choose either the Gnome or KDE desktop. Personally, I prefer Gnome, so I would point you towards:

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Live/i686/Fedora-8-Live-i686.iso

nieh
03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Downloading now. What's the difference between the i686, x86 64 and ppc?

The Talking Pie
03-22-2008, 02:59 PM
i686 is for the later versions of Intel-compatible processors (you might see x86, where X was the version number of the processor... it made a lot more sense before Intel started giving their processors arbitrary names). x86 64 is the same, but for 64 bit processors; I assume that yours is a standard old 32 bit one.

PPC is/was the processor architecture used by Apple Macs.

nieh
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I think mine is 64 bit, it's the AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-60. Is it better to have the 64 bit OS then or is it not something I'll really notice? I have the standard home version of Vista, not the 64 bit version.

Endymion
03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
the 64 bit version will generally run more efficiently, but the difference is rather minimal for normal desktop stuff.

The Talking Pie
03-22-2008, 03:40 PM
You should be able to run a 32 bit OS with no problem. In fact, you might run into more problems with a 64 bit OS (lack of support, etc. in the early stages of 64 bit adoption, and what have you).

Endymion
03-22-2008, 04:25 PM
64bit support isn't generally a problem on linux. i run 64bit everything on my laptop (core2 duo). on windows, however, 64bit is still the land of scary.

the_offsprings_monkey
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not too keen on Vista now. My missus just got a new laptop running Vista and it don't pick up half the stuff she's typing, it only picks all of it up if she types slow. I'm not sure what's going on there. But that can't be good!

The Talking Pie
03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
If that was at all a problem with Vista, it'd be complained about all over the internet, as it's such a fundamental problem.

I'd suggest that she's got some faulty hardware. Either that or fuckloads of bloatware; what does her CPU usage generally hover around?

the_offsprings_monkey
03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
If that was at all a problem with Vista, it'd be complained about all over the internet, as it's such a fundamental problem.

I'd suggest that she's got some faulty hardware. Either that or fuckloads of bloatware; what does her CPU usage generally hover around?

Not sure as it's new, but when I was on it today, just under one GB, I have just been told by a mate that Acer Gemstones have some sort of conflict with Vista in this respect and it should be fixed with SP1 hopefully.

The Talking Pie
03-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, SP1 was released the other day, so give it a go!

I must say, I'm a bit disappointed with SP1. I know it was just a minor update, but I expected at least one new gradient somewhere. Oh well. At least Defragmenter is a bit better.

the_offsprings_monkey
03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, SP1 was released the other day, so give it a go!

I must say, I'm a bit disappointed with SP1. I know it was just a minor update, but I expected at least one new gradient somewhere. Oh well. At least Defragmenter is a bit better.

Speaking of SP1, is this actually SP3 for XP (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en)?!

The Talking Pie
03-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah, although I believe it's still in beta. In any event, SP3 is a minor update. Most of its contents will already have been delivered via Windows Update.

offspringer24
03-24-2008, 07:52 AM
vista is good! better than xp obviously, and i have nothing more to say than that!

nieh
03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
One thing I keep forgetting to mention. Every version of Windows up until this point has managed to fit on a single cd. How come vista takes up three dvds? Isn't that like 20 times the size of any previous version? I can't understand what could justify such a huge jump.

The Talking Pie
03-24-2008, 04:05 PM
The Vista installation DVD contains all the different versions (if you opt to not put in the serial number during installation, you can choose a superior version to the one you've bought, and run it for a while before you're forced to activate).

A lot of it's also just bloat.

The Talking Pie
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
This also takes me back to the good old days of miniature OSes. I have a bootable floppy that loads Windows 3.1 and will run most programmes no problem. Now that's classy.

Endymion
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.menuetos.net/index.htm

The Talking Pie
03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I had a play about with that a couple of years ago. It's nice. Just a shame computers tend to come without floppy drives nowadays.