PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairman's TV related thoughts of the Night

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Recently while watching an episode of Stargate I recently came across a familiar science fiction concept. The idea that "aliens, technology, whatever futuristic thing there may be" must be kept secret from the population or else they will panic.

I never liked line. I could handle "must be kept secret or it might corrupt whatever covert ops thing etc. etc. we are doing", that is even plausible. The idea that people would riot due to this knowledge is a bit....weird.

And as the show went on, it hit me. There is only one real good reason why they would keep it a secret (and why the public would riot), embarrassment. They must've screwed up massively somehow, and just kept it a secret instead of letting the information go out.

And I mean that sort of corresponds with reality, the more we find out about the CIA the more embarrassing it gets.
-----------------------------------

On a second note. Remember That 70's Show? Great show. I watched it recently. It was a particularly good episode. Forman proposed to Donna, it's all very romantic. The other major plot line was an argument between Hyde and Jackie. Hyde concludes the argument by saying he finds all that romantic stuff to be terribly lame and stupid.

oh did you see what they did there?

Jakebert
03-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I think if alien technology does exist and the gov't knows about it, it's because they don't understand it themselves.

Wolfbutter
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
That 70's Show is arguably the greatest sitcom of the 21st century. Great atmosphere, very funny, strong characters, it just all fits into place, it's one of my favorite shows ever. I don't really watch TV, but awesome show.

Jakebert
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
That 70's Show is arguably the greatest sitcom of the 21st century. Great atmosphere, very funny, strong characters, it just all fits into place, it's one of my favorite shows ever. I don't really watch TV, but awesome show.

Arrested Development and the Office (both versions) both crush That 70's Show. Sorry, but they do.

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Pff yeah and Star Trek crushes those shows. fags.

Jakebert
03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
He said sitcom, silly.

sKratch
03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Too bad Stargate has declined severely over the years :[ I only keep with Atlantis out of habit.

MOAR BSG PLZ

Betty
03-08-2008, 08:08 PM
One time one of the actors from Stargate was at the bar we were at here in Victoria. Very exciting times.

Also, I'm quite partial to Seinfeld in terms of sitcoms, though I enjoy the ones Jakebert mentioned as well.

IamSam
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Arrested Development and the Office (both versions) both crush That 70's Show. Sorry, but they do.

Will you marry me?

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
He said sitcom, silly.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRgnrsFwenI

Too bad Stargate has declined severely over the years :[ I only keep with Atlantis out of habit.

MOAR BSG PLZ

Is Atlantis any good?

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I never liked line. I could handle "must be kept secret or it might corrupt whatever covert ops thing etc. etc. we are doing", that is even plausible. The idea that people would riot due to this knowledge is a bit....weird.

Why? All it takes is a crowd of idiots to take advantage of the panic and confusion and the rest join with them for the looting and for the emotional thril out of such experience.

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Why? All it takes is a crowd of idiots to take advantage of the panic and confusion and the rest join with them for the looting and for the emotional thril out of such experience.

I think there is little basis for thinking that would be the most likely consequence. (There is however little precedence for this.)

Either way one small riot in one place is not going to be a national one. Administrations admitting to shocking news have not had huge national riots. It takes something more.

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
You been to a mass protest, right?

Now, those are organized protests and sanctioned and supervised by the authorities. Imagine if it started like as a spontanious reaction that got progressively worse when people realized they could actually get away with it. Think New Orleans.

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
New Orleans was after a hurricane where most people thought they would die.

Now sure it depends on the gravity of the secret, but I don't think the President saying "oh btw we might have found some new technology or something" would cause mass riots.

Protests maybe, riots no. It wouldn't even be like the WTO protests.

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
It's obviously going to depend on the technology and what this technology means to the people. It could be either received like the Sputnik or it could be received like a Doomsday device.

Paint_It_Black
03-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Think about who would actually give a shit if the government announced that aliens exist or something similar. Mostly just nerdy white guys. There could be some seriously inflammatory email writing, and harsh message board comments, but riots? I don't think so.

Black people would be surprised the white folks didn't already know aliens exist, since Will Smith has been kicking alien butt since the 90's. Mexicans would be glad they're no longer the aliens everyone is talking about, and the Arabs would be busy trying to figure out how to monopolize anti-matter, or whatever the hell UFOs run on. Feel free to add your own racist stereotypes.

wheelchairman
03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
anti-matter,
Dilithium crystals....

....idiot.

Paint_It_Black
03-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Dilithium crystals simply contain and regulate the annihilation reaction of matter and antimatter in a starship's warp core.

What are you, retarded?

wheelchairman
03-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Dude way to copy/paste memory-alpha.org word for word. Captain Kirk's gonna kick your sorry plagiarizing ass.

Paint_It_Black
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
So you concede the point then.

HornyPope
03-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Think about who would actually give a shit if the government announced that aliens exist or something similar. Mostly just nerdy white guys. There could be some seriously inflammatory email writing, and harsh message board comments, but riots? I don't think so.

Black people would be surprised the white folks didn't already know aliens exist, since Will Smith has been kicking alien butt since the 90's. Mexicans would be glad they're no longer the aliens everyone is talking about, and the Arabs would be busy trying to figure out how to monopolize anti-matter, or whatever the hell UFOs run on. Feel free to add your own racist stereotypes.

Jews are going to think how to make money off it and the Asians are going to keep smiling but show no other emotions whatsoever... and what other races are there anyways?
But seriously, I think the situation is going to be taken with a little more alarm if people grow afraid that this new technology can destroy this entire fucking planet. At the very least you're looking at a stock market crash.

wheelchairman
03-09-2008, 11:15 AM
So you concede the point then.

Hardly. I believe it's quite clear that dilithium is depleted in the process of containing these reactions, while matter/anti-matter is almost always constant. Therefore Dilithium is a much better comparison to fuel than matter/anti-matter.

You colossal idiot.

Apathy
03-09-2008, 12:07 PM

I despise both of those shows. All three actually.

Llamas
03-09-2008, 01:42 PM

I like all these shows mentioned here. The Office UK is the winner, followed by US, and the other two tie in third place.

The best sitcom of the 21st century is How I Met Your Mother. End of story.

Paint_It_Black
03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Hardly. I believe it's quite clear that dilithium is depleted in the process of containing these reactions, while matter/anti-matter is almost always constant.

What the hell are you blabbering about? The matter and anti-matter are destroyed in the reaction; that is how the energy is released. The dilithium crystals are just a fancy gas tank.

You gargantuan retard.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-11-2008, 02:55 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRgnrsFwenI

*explodes*

What the hell, where did that come from?