PDA

View Full Version : end

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.december212012.net/

read it. if you dont want to believe it. fine for you. as for me i knew that my crazy dreams have been telling me something and my compulsion to buy survival gear is now founded.

if your not a believer that is your deal. i am not going to be your lawyer when we all stand and are sentanced for our lives and doings. i will have enough of my own to plead.

go ahead and laugh this off, i may be nuts, but the maybe the ones who are deemed crazy for listening to thier subconcience are really right. maybe ignoring what you cant sense with your body is really ignorant. (ignorance is bliss).

its your life and you believe what ever you want.

but check out the above site. i am sure it will atleast entertain you. maybe even make you think.

Cock Joke
03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I've heard so many things that say that the world would end on that day. At first I didn't believe it, but after hearing about it so much, I'm starting to get a little freaked out! I'm still not entirely convinced that the world will end. If we start seeing signs and/or the earth starts acting funny in the next four years, I'll believe it fully.

But remember when people thought the world would end in '06? We're still here!

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
my husband and coworkers all think i am nuts. but here is my theory.

i have been feeling that a large change is going to come within my life time since i was little. within the last year i have been having a compulsion to stock up on seeds, hunting and survival gear. i told my hubby it was like the car insurance we pay for it every month though we have never been in an accident, its just in case. it just makes me feel better to be prepared.

i never heard of this till tonight, but it made crazy sense of all the other stuff running around in my head, well a little.

i know i am in for some restless nights now. army surplus here i come.

Sunny
03-08-2008, 09:01 PM
frankly, i'm not gonna live my life in fear of some arbitrary date. there's been hundreds of "END OF THE WORLD" dates, and we're still around. and let's assume for a second it's actually going to happen... well, there isn't shit we can do about it, so why freak out over it instead of enjoying the next 4 years? lol.

and in all honesty, if you are having strange feelings and urges like that, it might be for the best that you get it checked out.

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
aint hurting anyone for me to start a garden and keep seeds. it looks nice and i am sure it will taste great. like i told my coworker i will just be a great person to camping with. i am not trying to convert anyone. i dont belive in that. if you dont want to see it as a warning to prepare for something you can survive if you prepare, then dont, ignore it. your life. i aint out to save anyone. i am not a calvery cause if the time comes, i am packin my family up and headin away. if anyone wants to follow, great. if nothing happens on this date, great. life will go on as normal. lovely. i wil have be rich by the time i am 50 and able to enjoy it.

as for the dr. what can they do, give me a pill, great. no thanks.

Jakebert
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
It's bullshit. The entire theory is based on the idea that the calander ends in 2012, but it doesn't. A cycle of the calander ends, and when one cycle ends, another begins, like a clock turning back to midnight after a day ends.

IamSam
03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Did I wake up in the year 999?

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
take it or leave it. so far as i can see more than one culture believed it. your gig. hey i am gonna have some great tomatoes this summer, last summer they were great right off the plant. this year i am starting everything from seed (last year we got them pre started). i like challenges.

leo3375
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
On December 21, 2012, Venus will cross the sun. Many ancient societies are believed to have used Venusian calendars, including the Mayans and the Egyptians. While solar calendars are based on increasing and decreasing daylight, and lunar calendars use the phases of the moon, a Venusian calendar uses the position and phases of the planet Venus.

I don't buy this story. Bear in mind that people also thought that the world was going to end on December 31, 1999, and May 5, 2000.

T-6005
03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Personally, I'm more afraid of micro black holes forming in the earth and destroying us all in May.

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 10:14 PM
never heard about the may 5th one, and the thing in 2000 was not the end of the world, but computers shutting off the power etc till they figured it out. they figured it out before hand.

it wasnt just the mayans who came up with this, according to the site i first pasted the hopi indians and chineese also are predicting this as well as teh regualar list of names (nostrodomos, etc.)

i dont even know why i keep posting at this point. boredom i guess. its fun to argue with new people.

wheelchairman
03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
This is by far the stupidest thing I've ever heard*. If you wrote more than two sentences in reply, you are giving this too much attention. oops...

*not meant literally.

aprilrfool
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
nothing to fear about the future. you live you die. everyone dies. we are dying from teh start. people are afraid of the "end" because teh end of one thing is only the begining of another.
why be afraid of the inevitable (like sunny said). i am going to go at it like i do the rest of my life.
my old roomate told me,
"some people jump with out looking, you back yourself up, close your eyes, and run off the edge" it seems to be working.

(i think preparing woudl be a step towards being more comfortable when i get there)

"there is nothing to fear but fear itself"

HornyPope
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
This is like the when the sale clerks in Best Buy push me to buy the extended warranty. Whatever, I'll take my chances.

Mota Boy
03-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't buy this story. Bear in mind that people also thought that the world was going to end on December 31, 1999, and May 5, 2000.Not to mention roughly 800,000 times prior. In fact, www.raptureready.com has forbidden members from putting a specific date on the end of the world, as a great number of amateur false predictions culminated in one member logging on in a suicidal desperation, certain that The Rapture had recently occured and he'd been left behind (he was wrong).

In preparation for the devastating Y2K meltdown, my uncle quit his job, moved his family to New Zealand and stocked up on food and water, prepared to wait out the end of the world. The rest of the family gathered at my grandmother's house on New Year's Eve laughing, drinking and watching the date roll over on the other side of the planet via CNN. As the a.m. hours there rolled on, the chuckled and wondered just when they should call him to see how the apochalypse was going.

I also love how the website you linked helpfully offers its own line of survival equipment *and* trendy handbags. I need to find the next big "end times" date so I can get a head start on the webspace and related products. Personally, I think the proliferation of these doomsday prophecies say horrendous things about the state of our school system.

Most of the things that site's vidoe cites - wars, famine, human suffering, disease, poverty, have actually been in decline, all around the globe for the past three decades or more... and holy fuck. Did they just claim that Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama were possibly the ANTICHRIST? That's a whole bundle of crazy. *sigh* We have, what, five thousand years of human civilization under our belts? And we're still listening to doomsday prophets? That people are claiming to be devout Christians while simultaneoulsy looking to sun-worshipping cultures like the Maya for confirmation, that people STILL think Nostradomus has ever predicted anything, or still has predictive power... Christ, what a collective we are.

The End of the World is something that can never be disproven, and there's even an entire narrative that everyone who dismisses it is just asking to get punished by some cosmic karma that only the true believer can see coming, dismissed as a crackpot up until the moment of supreme vindication (a theme replayed in almost every disaster or horror movie [not to mention a large chunk of fundamentalist Christianity] and firmly embedded in our culture), and there's absolutely nothing I can say that will dismiss a vague "feeling" that you've had. Though if you want, I could lead to various literature on human evolutionary psychology that explains exactly why we're designed to look for signs of ominous events, some reading on statistics to demonstrate that, given such a vast collective as all of recorded history on every civilization one could find plenty of vague "evidence" for any claim (Nostradomus alone cranked out enough vague poems that he's supposedly predicted everything, though, of course, such predictions are only noticed after the fact, when you know exactly what to read into his obscure lines [and can be conveniently reused to predict the same vague event over and over and over]), and various books on why every other aspect of these ancient cultures has never predicted anything. I mean, how can you be certain that the Mayans or the Hopi got this absolutely right, while simultaneously dismissing outright all of the other trappings of their religion? Human sacrifice for a good growing season was a silly, ancient concept, right? But on THIS - the end of the world - they must have been dead on. It makes no sense.

While it's nothing at all to plant seeds... do you think you'll still be tending a garden in four years? Or will you slowly start hoarding more and more food and survivalist gear, stockpiling guns, looking to a cabin in the mountains to fight off the end of the world, calmly rationalizing each move as perfectly normal (hey, who doesn't like a garden? gardening is fun. survival gear is smart - always be prepared, you know. who doesn't want a little place to escape to? you can never be too prepared...), a small step from the previous month's planning? If you're just going to grow a garden, keep an eye on the calendar and discuss the issue with other people, no harm no foul. Nothing too worrying about planning for the possibility of disaster, but when you start treating it as a certainly and devoting large chunks of resources to preparation... just make sure they're recoverable investments, both in terms of money and the strain you may put on your relationship with your family.

I know, I know - nothing big now. It's perfectly normal. But as the date looms and the "feeling" gets stronger (it likely will)... just make sure you keep everything in perspective. Sure, it would be bad if you were right and the world ended (but then we'd all be pretty much fucked, no matter how many tomatoes we had), but if you were wrong and, let's say, you'd spent thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on this and strained the relationship between your family over it (as my uncle did - really, really smart guy, he just got too caught up in this one doomsday scenario)... just be aware that that is also a risk you run in this situation - overpreparation can be (and likely is, given the infintesimal chances of this being right) even worse than underpreparation.

Edit - Oh, and as someone living in China, I can affirm that the Chinese definitely do NOT believe this, in the least. I've yet to hear anyone in modern China mention 2012. It's a complete Western new-age (and fundamentalist Christian) phenomenon.

WebDudette
03-09-2008, 12:42 AM
May 2008, Large Hadron Collider. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

ad8
03-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Dude, what are you preparing for?
According to you link, there will be earthquakes, tsunamis and all sorts of catastrophies. I don't think you could survive that if that was really the end of the world. Still, of course I don't believe these predictions for the reasons of some posts above me.

Jakebert
03-09-2008, 10:46 AM
never heard about the may 5th one, and the thing in 2000 was not the end of the world, but computers shutting off the power etc till they figured it out. they figured it out before hand.

it wasnt just the mayans who came up with this, according to the site i first pasted the hopi indians and chineese also are predicting this as well as teh regualar list of names (nostrodomos, etc.)

Yes, and this commonly held belief is based on a false fact. The calander does not end on December 21st, 2012. I repeat, so maybe you'll get it in your head or at least look it up from a site that isn't biased, the calander does not actually end on December 21st, 2012.

Cock Joke
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I've been thinking. 2012 is not far from now, so don't you think we'd ALREADY be seeing blatantly obvious signs if the world was ending that soon?

I'm talking about the sky turning red, the wind blowing at 1,000 miles per hour, elephants migrating to habitats far from their own, the sun getting to be deathly hot, all those things!

Now I'm not saying that that would all happen at the same time, but gradually. And you might be thinking: "We would all die from that before the end of the world." And that is absolutely true! we'd all die before the actual earth blows up or whatever it does.

Call me insane, but that sorta stuff would begin happening already, or it should have already happened! Therefore, I do not believe the world will end in '12 or even in our generation!

Drafan
03-09-2008, 12:05 PM
My god, my god, it is coming!! Im scared, what are we gonna do? Im too young, I dont want to die. Beeeeeee

Jakebert
03-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been thinking. 2012 is not far from now, so don't you think we'd ALREADY be seeing blatantly obvious signs if the world was ending that soon?

If the end goes down in the way tbe Bible predicts, then we'd be seeing signs now.

Apathy
03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I think that it's more likely that something goes wrong with the collider and we accidentally create a black hole that engulfs us all in May than the world ending in December.

aprilrfool
03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
ok i get it. i should have kept it to my self. i didnt really think much harm would come of it either way. at any rate, thanks mota boy, your pretty smart. i am not going to change that i believe some tramatic thing is coming soon. who knows what date, or when. i want to be prepared if i do happen to survive, and i know who knows if i will even be able to get to my stock pile.

i will never spend more than $50 on anything at a time. i am cheap. if i survive, it will have to be on the basics. i am pretty much accumalating some great camping gear, (i know soon i will have to splurge on a decent tent). i love camping though anyway. i plan on taking my daughter on week long trips when she gets a little older (a year or so away).

and as for my family, my hubby thinks i am crazy, but he knew that before. he is still around. i guess i must be good for somethin.;)

at any rate, this has been entertaining thanks for playing along.

0r4ng3
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm actually more afraid that the world won't end.

Little_Miss_1565
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
But...calendars, even when based on planetary movement etc., are the invention of humans. The end of the world seems like it would be a rather cosmic phenomenon. Why would something so huge and cosmic pay any mind to the organizational systems of bipeds?

punker
03-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Why would something so huge and cosmic pay any mind to the organizational systems of bipeds?
because if they chose a date like august 23 of 2017, people wouldnt be able to sell those nice shirts

Mota Boy
03-10-2008, 01:33 AM
But...calendars, even when based on planetary movement etc., are the invention of humans. The end of the world seems like it would be a rather cosmic phenomenon. Why would something so huge and cosmic pay any mind to the organizational systems of bipeds?I think the general idea isn't that the apochalypse is following the calendars (though that is why people get scared of big and round numbers like the year 2000, or the year 1000, which also saw apochalyptic predictions), but that the ancient cultures were somehow privy to a special knowledge which has since been lost, and built their calendars around this secret information which fortells the end of the world. I just love how this whole shebang is based off the premise "The Mayans thought the world would end on this date, therefore it has to be true." Yeah, 'cause they were pretty much dead-on when it came to Quezacotl, the feathered snake-god that nowadays we all know is responsible for good harvests.

I bet people were *really* scared back in the B.C. days when the calendar was inexplicably ticking down to zero.

Llamas
03-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Dude, what are you preparing for?
According to you link, there will be earthquakes, tsunamis and all sorts of catastrophies. I don't think you could survive that if that was really the end of the world. Still, of course I don't believe these predictions for the reasons of some posts above me.

I was thinking this the whole time. Planting a garden isn't going to do jack shit when the "earth ends".

Regardless, I think it's completely impossible for the world to end in a day, unless some seriously freak shit happened, like enough atomic power went off at once to explode the entire world... or a meteorite the size of Mars collided with Earth.

I have read some scientific journals about how the Earth is expected to hit its carrying capacity in 2012. That is something I'm able to believe. But hitting carrying capacity doesn't mean we're all going to die/the Earth is going to end in a day. It just means we'll run out of room and people will start dying due to there not being enough resources.

wheelchairman
03-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I bet people were *really* scared back in the B.C. days when the calendar was inexplicably ticking down to zero.
You're such a dick.

but NICE.

It's a shame but I know there was some big epic movie that had to change the dates from XX b.c. to X centuries ago because people couldn't understand that the higher the number in BC the earlier it was.

ad8
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I just imagined the scenery after the "end of the world". I thought of lava, a black-reddish sky, earthquakes and all sorts of that stuff. And then I imagined aprilrfool with his survival equipment in his camping van in the center of all this. That would look weird.

iPunk247
03-14-2008, 01:11 AM
lifes to fucking short. it depends no. yes i am a shit and gods greatest creation equals to dooms. i am not normal just abnormal or er a LOSER / anti-everything.

Link K2B
03-14-2008, 08:42 AM
The world's close to endin all the time. Climate change, that asteroid that's comin really close in 2028 I think, the black hole accelorator thingy in May, nuclear holocaust, y'know, REAL things rather than some superstitious predictions which ave never been accurate thus far.

HornyPope
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Waaait a minute. I know what's wrong with that sentance. People didn't own clocks back then! So how could it "tick"?

aprilrfool
03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
i havent been on in a while. real life has been happening. i guess you are all right it doesnt matter when the end comes. maybe its just me hoping it will happen sooner than later. besides its always a good topic. everone hates it.

"live like there is no tomorrow"

XYlophonetreeZ
03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Wait, weren't you the person talking about all the ways you conserve stuff in the environment thread? If you're so convinced the world is going to end so soon anyway, why bother?

aprilrfool
03-20-2008, 01:00 PM
because i dont believe its the end. i believe a huge change is going to happen. it will only be the end for the weakest, thats if its right. whats wrong with hedging my bets.

if we arent killed off by natural forces, why dont we try to not do it ourselves? maybe by polluting so much we are provoking the powers that be.

Dont mind me. its all crazy talk that no one has the time to read and i dont really have the time to explain. I will keep it all in my head in the future. my appologiese to you all for wasting this much of your valuable time

it doesnt matter in the end what anyone believes because it is what it is and nothing else.

ad8
03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
because i dont believe its the end. i believe a huge change is going to happen. it will only be the end for the weakest, thats if its right. whats wrong with hedging my bets.

I can understand this, but I think the weak people will remain weak (weak = no money in this world) and if you are rich or middle-classy, you won't have big problems to survive if the system is not going to change.

aprilrfool
03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
if the world rapidly changes its environment to one where our current comforts would no longer be available, which is what i think would happen (maybe just hope that is) then the playing field would be level. the physically strongest would survive, or the best parasites. that was all i was hoping for when everyone was crying about the whole y2k thing. i was laughing thinking about how many people would starve to death with out thier micro waves. i know its probably stupid, but i think it needs to happen. our populations need to be thinned out. i am sure that what ever keeps the balance is going to have to take notice sooner or later. at any rate, i am on more of my dumb rambling. :) i hope its entertaining some body.

ad8
03-21-2008, 04:31 AM
our populations need to be thinned out. i am sure that what ever keeps the balance is going to have to take notice sooner or later.
I think nature will try to handle it but maybe mankind can win against nature(which does not necessarily mean something positive, of course).

Not Ozymandias
03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
our populations need to be thinned out.
I concur, people need to be selfless and end their own lives for the good of humanity.

You first.

aprilrfool
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
if it is my time then it will happen.

Cock Joke
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I say we just go for one of those cool "mass suicides." WHO'S WITH ME??? :D

aprilrfool
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
no i figure my time will come. sooner or later. i have lived longer than i expected to when i was 18. yea me.

HornyPope
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
no i figure my time will come. sooner or later. i have lived longer than i expected to when i was 18. yea me.

If it's not too personal, may I ask what cause of death were you predicting?

aprilrfool
03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
laughing, well either the neighborhoods i lived in, people i hung out with, or things i have long ago quit.