PDA

View Full Version : UK Broadband providers

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-12-2008, 07:18 AM
So like, my current situation is that I'm flitting backwards and forwards between my house and my girlfriend's house. Which is all cool, except I spend most of my time at the missus', and she doesn't have the netz. So we've decided to get it.

I've been looking around and some of the deals are pretty ok. Tiscali are fine, but we need to get a BT phone installed, so that's out. BT Option 1 looks alright too, but 17.99 after the first six months is a bit steep, even though it is a good deal.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of ones that I've missed?

MrJoe
03-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Tiscali are actually one of the worst broadband providers in the UK, along with Orange. If you want really really basic, not very fast broadband that you won't get any help with if it goes wrong, then Tiscali.
If you want any normal phoneline broadband, ADSL, from anyone such as BT, Orange, Tiscali, AOL, Sky etc, then you've got to get a BT landline anyway, cheapest line rental is about £11 a month I think.

If you really don't want a BT Landline, the only other option is to put your missus' postcode into here (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php) to find out if she can get Virgin Media or another cable provider, in which case you might be able to get one of the good phone/broadband deals with them.

What are you gonna be using the net for, just browsing and social networking? Or downloads? And will you be downloading a lot or just the occasional album?

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Hardly any downloading, no. I have a huge music collection already on my laptop. No, it'll mostly be for browsing teh netz and internet gaming.

mrconeman
03-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Get Virgin media, seriously. They are easily the best ISP in these parts. BT are scum, Tiscali suck.

If it's possible go for Virgin.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-12-2008, 08:09 AM
I would, but we have a budget, so I have to balance out cost and quality.

Seems I need to get a BT Line no matter what company I go with. Oh, this sucks.

MrJoe
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
You need a BT line unless you're going with Virgin Media, can you get that at your missus' address?

Tiscali from what I've heard on a large scale, give awful online gaming experience as latency/pings are high.

I'm with a company called [url=http://www.adsl24.co.uk]ADSL24, I get some of the lowest/best latency/ping with online gaming any time of the day or night, and they do a package for about £16 a month, which I think is £3 or so more than Tiscali, but much better service.

Tiscali, BT, Orange, AOL, TalkTalk all do cheaper options but are renowned for being bad for online games and speed, particularly in evenings and weekends.

The lower you spend the more sacrifices you'll have to make in terms of quality.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Virgin Media: "Your area is a non-cable area, so you can choose any of our great Broadband packages and we'll deliver them down your BT phone line."

Oh, fuck Broadband.

MrJoe
03-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Sucks hey.

H1T_That
03-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I've recently switched to orange. They seem to pretty reliable and cheap so far.

Lars
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
If you want some kind of support that knows what they're doing, definitely not BT, their call centre is utterly useless...

Besides the one major issue I had back in January, I've not had any real issues with them (the occasional drop out in the past when I used their shitty alcatel speedtouch modem, since changing that nothing). The issue being my line was ridiculously restricted for a reason I've never been told and I wasted a week on their Indian call center to which at the end I lost my cool and cursed at them when they started to talk me through their standard procedure of 'clearing my cookies and cache in internet explorer'. Other than that I've had no problems. I've only seen throttling on P2P type apps (torrents, which I hardly ever use and bbc iPlayer) Never really noticed any lag issues when playing online though as there's enough speed for me where I am (and my exchange is literally across the street.) Another thing to point out, their 'home hub' is a piece of shit, and is aptly called a 'hub' instead of a router.

Whenever I see ADSL24 mentioned it's always good things from people.

Link K2B
03-14-2008, 07:32 AM
I've used both BT and AOL, both are incredibly dodgy with the speed fluxuatin vastly. VASTLY.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-14-2008, 08:29 AM
My girlfriend had a fabulous idea. Gief Dongle!

the_offsprings_monkey
03-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I work for TalkTalk and I have to admit, we're shit. Virgin is the best hands down. As their Internet comes through Fibre Optic cables and ours comes thought your phone-line. So with Virgin, your Internet don't lose speed coming to you, where as ours does.

MrJoe
03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Well with Virgin it doesn't connect at a slower speed, but a lot of areas with Virgin are really congested with shit speeds. Its pot luck with them.

the_offsprings_monkey
03-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Well with Virgin it doesn't connect at a slower speed, but a lot of areas with Virgin are really congested with shit speeds. Its pot luck with them.

Where did you hear this? I can honestly say Virgin are the best out there. BT, Orange, Talktalk and some others, are without a doubt. Shit.

MrJoe
03-17-2008, 06:14 AM
I know people from various parts of the country who use them. Its just luck if you're in an uncongested area.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Well I got myself a T-Mobile Dongle. In the flat's area the link is 95% and runs at 3.6mbps. Not bad for 15 a month, and I have net anywhere there's T-Mobile coverage.

MrJoe
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice one, how much download allowance do you get?

the_offsprings_monkey
03-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Nice one, how much download allowance do you get?

I think it's unlimited on T-Mobiles one.

MrJoe
03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
If its 15 its unlikely to be free, I think its around 3gb.