PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve of the week

Conspiracyof1000
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Netspeak. The real reason America is going down the tubes. Not because of the internet per say, but because people are getting too lazy to type. They're also transitioning it into school. Every day I hear people go, "Oh Emm Gee that was scary!" or see people writing, "lol u r a dumbass go hang wit dumb ppl"
I hate it.
Is it really that hard to type/talk/write like a normal human?

JohnnyNemesis
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
What a "normal human" is is changing. Less whining will make the transition much easier.

iPunk247
03-13-2008, 11:09 PM
no comments. *blahs*

Llamas
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Netspeak. The real reason America is going down the tubes. Not because of the internet per say, but because people are getting too lazy to type. They're also transitioning it into school. Every day I hear people go, "Oh Emm Gee that was scary!" or see people writing, "lol u r a dumbass go hang wit dumb ppl"
I hate it.
Is it really that hard to type/talk/write like a normal human?

It's not "abnormal" to talk or type that way. Granted, it is very stupid and annoying when people seem to not know how to speak or type outside of the "txttlk" realm, but it's honestly not worth getting upset about. Language is constantly changing, and most of the time, these changes are due to laziness or ignorance. But then they become part of a language over time, or they get phased out due to only being a fad. For instance, "bling" and "gonna" have made their ways into being legitimate English words. Using words like "bad" or "radical" to mean "cool", however, were fads and were phased out. So, you'll either get used to this new style, or it'll go away over time. It's not that big of a deal.

WebDudette
03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Kids at my school have got horrible grades on their essays and finals because of excessive use of this. It baffles me.

Ricky, if my complaining delays this, I will complain as long as possible.

JohnnyNemesis
03-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Whoa whoa whoa wait. People use that shit in essays?!

What kind of goddamn fucking...

rfhjklbgrfs

I meant, like, colloquial. Language evolves, and people need to shut the fuck up and accept it. But essays?! C'mon now.

IamSam
03-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Whoa whoa whoa wait. People use that shit in essays?!

What kind of goddamn fucking...

rfhjklbgrfs

I meant, like, colloquial. Language evolves, and people need to shut the fuck up and accept it. But essays?! C'mon now.

I have seen it a lot this year with the new freshman at my college. I've been proofreading essays for them and nearly want to stab them in the eye with a carrot because of all the netspeak and crap they put into an academic paper.

What exactly is our nation's education system doing? What ever happened to teaching grammar, spelling, essay rules, and most importantly, contractions?

Its-possessive
It's-contraction for 'it is' nothing more, nothing less.

GreenTerror
03-14-2008, 02:09 AM
There, they're, and their are all different words with different meanings and uses. The same thing applies to "You're" and "Your". People do not seem to comprehend this. Is it seriously that difficult? adfkljafsljkafskjlafsaf!

Mota Boy
03-14-2008, 04:58 AM
I've only ever met one person that used "pown", unironically, in real life. He came along on an outing with a couple friends of mine - a friend of a friend. A couple days later, we were hanging out again, about to head out, when the friend said "Hey, maybe I should call up Andrew." My other friend and I glanced at each other and said "Uh, perhaps not.", to which my friend let out a sigh, hung his head, and apologized. "Yeah, I know. It's just that I've known him for ever."

If girls use netspeak or ALL CAPS in an e-mail or text message, I find myself significantly less attracted to her.

Moral of the story - too much netspeak causes you to lose friends, not to mention brain cells.

Jakebert
03-14-2008, 06:23 AM
idk my bff jesus?

Link K2B
03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I use textspeak when I text loads cos it maks msgs shrtr so cn fit in mor wrds. Makes sense to me anyway. I also type ow I talk so miss out letters ere and there, it's habit. I can type perfectly when i put me mind to it though, I ent a thicky so it's ok.

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
When I text (as in sms), I usually skip out entire words. But it's pretty common in Quebec speach so my messages are understood perfectly. I think.

0r4ng3
03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
The netspeak isn't quite annoying for me. What does, however, is when people repeat letters in a word, as if they forgot to remove their finger from the key. I suggest any of you look at your Facebook friends' status updates to know exactly what I mean.

Nicole
03-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I've met some people who are so well spoken, they're fabulous to talk to. Then they text me or email me and I lose so much respect because it's just netspeak jibberish. Some people will even try and pick you up with that shit. It never fails to have the exact opposite effect.

The worst offenders on the internet are people who reply to everything with "LOL". I mean you can tell them something serious, and they still say "LOL".

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I've met some people who are so well spoken, they're fabulous to talk to. Then they text me or email me and I lose so much respect because it's just netspeak jibberish. Some people will even try and pick you up with that shit. It never fails to have the exact opposite effect.

The worst offenders on the internet are people who reply to everything with "LOL". I mean you can tell them something serious, and they still say "LOL".

Doesn't this make you really superficial, though?

Nicole
03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Really couldn't give a shit. I like intelligence and being able to follow what people are saying. Is that such a bad thing?

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
No. You're allowed.
I just think a person's intelligence doesn't rest on his ability to type out full words.
But it's okay, we all have our criteria. I don't really like fat people, for example.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't like textspeak, for the simple reason that when anybody uses it when it's not needed - on the net, email, etc - it subconciously really makes me look down on them, and it's park of an arrogant streak that I've tried very hard to erase.

Nicole
03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
You called me superficial and you don't like fat people? Gold.

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Try keeping a smarter company and you don't have to fight your arrogant streak too much. I tolerate stupid people much easier when I spend only several hours a week with them. Anything more and I burst because I'm very impulsive like that.

"Do you have to be that fucking stupid all the fucking time?!?!?!"

It's also a humbling experience, this hanging out with a smart crowd business. It kind of forces you to accept the lesser men and women like others may accept you.

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 09:22 AM
You called me superficial and you don't like fat people? Gold.

No, I like gold. Silver, too. I'm a jew, remember? ;)

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
And when I say "fat", I don't mean chubby or slightly overweight. That's still okay in my books. Could it be better? Of course. She could be lean, athletic or just very curvy if such is her body type.
Fat rolls, on the other hand... ewww... get 'er away, get 'er away.

Edit: I mean, if I make the effort to look muscular and cut, why can't others?

Nicole
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a similar prejudice, I tried to get over it but now knowing that I'm probably going to completely bust my back one day from moving too many obsese people who probably could have stayed out of hospital if they looked after themselves just annoys me to no end.

JohnnyNemesis
03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Aside from the fatphobia stuff, everything Vlad is saying in this thread is 100% truth. Totally with him and can relate to almost everything.

I've never fully understood judging one's intelligence on their tendency to use netspeak in certain situations. I think it may come from insecurity, or arrogance, on a really realllllllly basic level: I can do something you choose not to do, hence I am more intelligent, worthy of respect, etc. I'm the same way sometimes, but I try not to be because I think it's pretty exhausting to be so concerned with other peoples idiosyncracies, and because I know I'm dumb in my own ways too.

Though, I must admit, I do judge people who are incapable of communicating in anything that's not Netspeak. But if one chooses to use Netspeak, that's different. Heck, I have professors who text me in totally abbreviated language, and even though some professors are indeed dumb, I know for a fact that these particular individuals are brilliant.

Well, brilliant as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Aside from the fatphobia stuff

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

JohnnyNemesis
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I do :cool: :cool: :cool:

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
u r view bubblebutts.com

i no!

Vera
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I come to this thread to tell amusing anecdotes of me and my friend using LOLcat references in real life and instead find out Vlad doesn't like me.

no moar hope :( :( :(

Llamas
03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I just realized that I've actually never heard people in real life using text speak. I see people typing in it on this message board sometimes, but I've never heard it. I suppose it's unfair for me to say "stfu and deal with it" and think it's wrong to look down on those people, because I've not had to deal with it myself. So I guess any opinion of mine would be unfounded. But now I'm kinda shocked that people DO actually speak like this... and in papers? Wow... that might actually irritate me. I'm very glad I've never associated with anyone like that!

Vera
03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
My favourite web acronym that apparently Finnish kids use nowadays is "KVG" which stands for "kato vittu googlest" (fucking look it up on Google!) and is an answer given to really stupid questions. Me and my friend began using it sarcastically for questions you really could not look up on google (though we use the phrase, not the acronym), like "how are you doing?".

WebDudette
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I fucking hate when I get text messages that are nothing but 'lol'. Someone texted me while I was in class about a week ago. 'Wut r u doing?', I told them I was sleeping in class they texted me again asking 'y'. I didn't reply, five minutes later I got a text message from the same person 'lol'.

I've also had people text me out of nowhere with 'lol'.

Also, I'm judgmental to the point that I will decided if I like a person or not based on their myspace layout.

HornyPope
03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I come to this thread to tell amusing anecdotes of me and my friend using LOLcat references in real life and instead find out Vlad doesn't like me.

no moar hope :( :( :(

Ah, don't pay attention to what I say. It's what I feel with my heart that counts, and my heart is pumping love for you, you soft, cudly, white bear. Yes, yes, you.

Wolfbutter
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Language is constantly changing, and most of the time, these changes are due to laziness or ignorance.

I think the correct term you are looking for is convienence.

On instant messaging, when you are talking DIRECTLY to someone, things move pretty fast. Why take the time to type out "perfect" English when you can just abbreviate. It's not laziness, it's just more conveinent. Also, it's kind of a way of letting off steam after being in school for so damn long every day. And texting is even more obvious. It takes forever.

If you have a problem with people using it on a message board, I guess I can understand, but it still seems odd. If I can read it, then whatever it's cool. I've honestly never read somebody typing out completey undecihperable or extreme 1337 speak.

Conspiracyof1000
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I have seen it a lot this year with the new freshman at my college. I've been proofreading essays for them and nearly want to stab them in the eye with a carrot because of all the netspeak and crap they put into an academic paper.

What exactly is our nation's education system doing? What ever happened to teaching grammar, spelling, essay rules, and most importantly, contractions?

Its-possessive
It's-contraction for 'it is' nothing more, nothing less.

Someone gets what I'm talking about! :D
Okay, I have to admit I use lol sometimes, and smilies are my best friends. But in every Language Arts/English class I've had we've had a whole hour-long lecture on not to use Netspeak. It's pretty useless for me since I write stories all the time and can actually type like (I want to say normal person) an outdated person. Yep, now I feel outdated, and I'm only 15...:( Just last night I figured out brb means be right back...I'm a loser.

BREAK
03-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to the Stephen Hawkings of tomorrow publishing works entirely in language that reads lyk this lol cuz its e-zer n u cant stop the degeneration of language omg so fuck u. I mean incredibly intelligent people writing profoundly smart things in a language that looks totally fucking retarded? C'mon, it'll be funny.
I've toyed with the idea of writing an entire book in that style, but haven't found the motivation for it yet. Whoever beats me to it is gonna be the next Hemingway or James Joyce.
Surely the language we speak today would sound horrifically uncouth, even incomprehensible, to the English speakers of the middle ages?

Vera
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
English has the most fucked up unphonetic ridiculous spelling of any language I've ever studied, anyway. Even if the UK and US education systems were top-notch (which they completely aren't), poor kiddies would probably still struggle with learning spelling.

Conspiracyof1000
03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to the Stephen Hawkings of tomorrow publishing works entirely in language that reads lyk this lol cuz its e-zer n u cant stop the degeneration of language omg so fuck u. I mean incredibly intelligent people writing profoundly smart things in a language that looks totally fucking retarded? C'mon, it'll be funny.
I've toyed with the idea of writing an entire book in that style, but haven't found the motivation for it yet. Whoever beats me to it is gonna be the next Hemingway or James Joyce.
Surely the language we speak today would sound horrifically uncouth, even incomprehensible, to the English speakers of the middle ages?

Haha, yeah...Was "yeah" even a vocabulary term back then?

WebDudette
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
BREAK, someone has already wrote two books based in a chat room. It's all in the texting format.

Llamas
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I saw a book that was written completely in text talk once... it made me cry. :( Not really, but wtf!

My favourite web acronym that apparently Finnish kids use nowadays is "KVG" which stands for "kato vittu googlest" (fucking look it up on Google!) and is an answer given to really stupid questions. Me and my friend began using it sarcastically for questions you really could not look up on google (though we use the phrase, not the acronym), like "how are you doing?".
haha, that's hilarious! I love it. I might just start saying "kato vittu googlest" to people now! :P

I fucking hate when I get text messages that are nothing but 'lol'. Someone texted me while I was in class about a week ago. 'Wut r u doing?', I told them I was sleeping in class they texted me again asking 'y'. I didn't reply, five minutes later I got a text message from the same person 'lol'.

I've also had people text me out of nowhere with 'lol'.
This is honestly part of the reason that I don't have texting capabilities on my phone. I hate getting a text that's just a word or a few letters. Grr.

Also, I'm judgmental to the point that I will decided if I like a person or not based on their myspace layout.
Ohhhhhh I so am, too! Seriously, it's like, wow, I thought you were cool... but then I saw your Myspace. :(

I think the correct term you are looking for is convenience*.

On instant messaging, when you are talking DIRECTLY to someone, things move pretty fast. Why take the time to type out "perfect" English when you can just abbreviate. It's not laziness, it's just more convenient*. Also, it's kind of a way of letting off steam after being in school for so damn long every day. And texting is even more obvious. It takes forever.

If you have a problem with people using it on a message board, I guess I can understand, but it still seems odd. If I can read it, then whatever it's cool. I've honestly never read somebody typing out completey undecihperable or extreme 1337 speak.
*fixed

Yes, IM goes "pretty fast", though not faster than regular speaking. And if you have the time to just chill out and chat on a messenger, you don't need convenience.

Personally, in IM and online in general, I use "lol" sometimes, "wtf", "brb", and "omg". I've found that when I use these abbreviations when speaking with people from other countries, I get laughed at a lot; people especially laugh at "lol". They really are dumb phrases, though I continue to use them. Most of the time, I use them jokingly in a way that is meant to emphasize how lame they are, but I do use them normally, as well.

Finally, just because you can read it doesn't mean everyone can. I've come across plenty of people where I have to spend a great amount of time trying to figure out what they're trying to say. On this bbs, I tend to skip posts that don't use English that I can easily understand.

JohnnyNemesis
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM

I'm a cynical asshole, and I do the same. Except sometimes I honest to goodness want to fucking kill people for their Myspace layouts.

nameless
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
for me it has been being directly behind someone leaving the bus or train who just steps off and then doesnt move, just stands there looking round for whatever they are looking for, completely unaware there a load of people behind wanting to exit as well but cant!

Jebus
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I taught my impressionable younger cousin "pwn" a while ago and now he uses it as part as his regular vocabulary. I'm deeply ashamed of myself for that.

Did anyone else find this hilarious? I can't stop laughing.

0r4ng3
03-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Out loud, I assume.

HornyPope
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Out loud, I assume.

At first I was :/ but then I LOL'ed.

Sunny
03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
i am truly bewildered by the fat people tangent. o lols. which brings me to my original point:

i say "lol", "omg" and "brb" in real life, and i use lame-o netspeak on AIM, although it is mostly for fun and not for the sake of "convenience". i never use abbreviations while actually texting, cause like.. phone has full keyboard.. i has no excuse. oh yeah, i quote lolcats, in case you haven't noticed.

as for using netspeak in essays, well, that's just truly sad.

on another note, if you think you're somehow intellectually superior because you never use the occassional "omg", then your head is most likely lodged so far up your ass it can't be good for you.

JohnnyNemesis
03-17-2008, 07:42 AM

I thought it was indeed hilarious.

i use lame-o netspeak on AIM, although it is mostly for fun

You're also amazing at it. You don't even know how much I lolz with you.

Lolz.

Cock Joke
03-17-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm laughing at the possible reason as to why he got that text later on...

WebDudette
03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Ohhhhhh I so am, too! Seriously, it's like, wow, I thought you were cool... but then I saw your Myspace. :(

Basically, 'Oh, I've talked to this person a couple times at school, they seemed pretty cool'. Then I open up their myspace and find that they have a God awful layout with 20 videos and a color contrast that not only prevents me from reading the text but gives me a headache.

wheelchairman
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I think it's been said before, but judging someone for their myspace is no better than for the way they textspeak.

What a stupid make or break criteria.

WebDudette
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
I do both because I'm a douche bag. It really isn't a make or break thing though.

Llamas
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Basically, 'Oh, I've talked to this person a couple times at school, they seemed pretty cool'. Then I open up their myspace and find that they have a God awful layout with 20 videos and a color contrast that not only prevents me from reading the text but gives me a headache.
God yes. A great example: I've been friends with this one girl for like 5 years, and a while ago we became myspace friends. I mean, she used to be quite a good friend of mine... but when I checked her page, I was just like oh my wow... this is way too annoying. My initial reaction was to point out to her how annoying it was, but she doesn't seem to get what's annoying about it. I don't think it's friends only, but check it out. (http://www.myspace.com/edemetrn)

I think it's been said before, but judging someone for their myspace is no better than for the way they textspeak.

What a stupid make or break criteria.
It's not make or break at all. It's just like, holy shit, that's annoying. And I might think slightly less of a person for that. It's stupid, but it's just natural.

RickyCrack
03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
can i feel what you're like inside romantically?

Vera
03-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Brianna the profile is on private so it looks like a standard myspace from over here.

Customized MySpaces are one of the reasons I stopped using it. One of my friends there is an ace web designer so her myspace is full of awesome graphic glory but mostly? Fail. And I'm even annoyed at automatic songs playing. :/

Most of the people I know IRL have unannoying web behavior, which I'm glad of. I mean, the worst is my best friend from high school who blogs in English but whose spelling is rusty as she doesn't use it much so she'll say "I'm so exited!" or use Finnish expressions translated straight to English, "Life is" (in Finnish saying that basically means 'tough break, can't have everything, just have to deal with it'). I can't really blame her; I wouldn't be good in English if I used it as rarely as she does.

Sunny
03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
i feel that judging people on their design sense and aesthetic capabilities (myspace layouts!!) is more justified than judging them on their use of netspeak.

but that's just me, i'm a superficial asshole. :]

Llamas
03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Brianna the profile is on private so it looks like a standard myspace from over here.

Customized MySpaces are one of the reasons I stopped using it. One of my friends there is an ace web designer so her myspace is full of awesome graphic glory but mostly? Fail. And I'm even annoyed at automatic songs playing. :/

Most of the people I know IRL have unannoying web behavior, which I'm glad of. I mean, the worst is my best friend from high school who blogs in English but whose spelling is rusty as she doesn't use it much so she'll say "I'm so exited!" or use Finnish expressions translated straight to English, "Life is" (in Finnish saying that basically means 'tough break, can't have everything, just have to deal with it'). I can't really blame her; I wouldn't be good in English if I used it as rarely as she does.

haha, yeah... most of my friends don't really use the internet much. My closest friends are the kind of people who use the internet once a day for email, and that's about it. None of them even have a myspace, so no worries here. But you do get the occasional one here and there, like your friend who is bad at English, hehe.

i feel that judging people on their design sense and aesthetic capabilities (myspace layouts!!) is more justified than judging them on their use of netspeak.

lol I love how you've chalked bad myspaces up to design sense and aesthetic capabilities, cause a lot of those layouts are premade. :P But I agree with you, I think. Most people should know not to pick a layout with 500 huge pictures and 3 song players.

Oh, speaking of song players, I hate them when they automatically play. Especially when people are so dumb that they don't realize they do that and have like 3 of them on their page. Then someone goes to their page and 3 songs start playing at once. Argrrrugh.

wheelchairman
03-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Perhaps, but they're both equally shallow. However I would imagine in your profession the web design stuff actually is a justifiable way of judging people. It's hardly relevant outside of that though. An accountant certainly wouldn't care. Unless it was unorganized and numbers started appearing randomly.