PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairman's Movie/TV Show/Literature Goal of the Year

wheelchairman
03-15-2008, 02:43 AM
I want to watch/read a lot more things that involve Time Travel in fiction. I've just decided that Time Travel in fiction makes up the most interesting stories (Like Dr. McCoy getting stoned and traveling back in time in order to allow victory for Nazi Germany.) (Or Chekov asking an American in the '80's, Where are your nucular vessils?)

So obviously Star Trek is on the list.
I suppose Mark Twain and a Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
I actually own TimeCop, and that's sort of the inspiration for this goal.
I own all 3 Back to the Future films but I'm not willing to watch them again so soon.
(I'm really looking forward to watching the Deep Space 9 episode where they go back to Kirk's ship.)

So come on, give me more Time Travel! (i.e. tell me more movies, tv shows and books that deal with time travel. And I'll make a list).

p.s. no anime or bollywood. and no Uwe Boll.
List:
Movies
The Time Machine
The Planet of the Apes
Terminator 1-3
Tv Shows
Books
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
A Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

khaaaaan
03-15-2008, 03:16 AM
Well an obvious choice is The Time Machine (http://imdb.com/title/tt0268695/). The 2002 remake, not the original. He goes from 18?? to 800,000 and that's insanely awesome. Also he stops like once or twice on the way and that's super cool.

Then there's Planet of the Apes. I like the first and second one. And the remake. The last three movies in the old series are pretty lame.

wheelchairman
03-15-2008, 03:19 AM
The remake was pretty bad I thought. But that's because the Statue of Liberty is the real shocker in the movie, so everyone knows how it will end.

But yes Planet of the Apes the original, I actually always wanted to see it.

The Time Machine is actually a pretty famous book to begin with. H.G. Wells I think. (He actually invented Science Fiction in like 1895). So yeah good choice. And the movie should be good, the 2002 one.

EDIT: Rewatch the Terminator films.

khaaaaan
03-15-2008, 03:52 AM
it is indeed one of Wells' better books and a great movie.

H1T_That
03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
For a TV Show, i hear "life on mars" is quite good.

Autonomist
03-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Red Dwarf do a lot of episodes that relate to time travel and parallel univerese and shit.

T-6005
03-15-2008, 08:18 AM
http://www.cartelia.net/fotos/c/elcaballeronegro.jpg

Hey, you asked for time travel.

wheelchairman
03-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Fuck you Thi!

Autonomist
03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
For a TV Show, i hear "life on mars" is quite good.

you hear right., not a lot of time travel though.

mrconeman
03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness.
http://themadpigeon.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/evil_dead_3_1.jpe
Trapped in Time.
Surrounded by Evil.
Low on Gas.

BREAK
03-15-2008, 08:45 AM
(Or Chekov asking an American in the '80's, Where are your nucular vessils?)

WESSELS!!!!

Nina
03-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Star Trek Enterprise bitch!

wheelchairman
03-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh I should've clarified.

GOOD time travel.

H1T_That
03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
you hear right., not a lot of time travel though.

What? I thought it was about a time traveling cop or something.

BREAK
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
You ever see the movie Primer? That one wasn't bad.

wheelchairman
03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Never heard of it. I'll keep it in mind.

nieh
03-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Twelve Monkeys

Jebus
03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I could only think of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, and Austin Powers for movies. I'm assuming you want something worth watching though so oh well.

As for TV
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Savemejebus/intro_tru_calling.jpg
BRING IT BACK FOX :mad: :mad:

Sliders was pretty good. They don't technically travel back in time, but they go to alternate historical realities.

I also remember a show called Early Edition. It's about a guy who receives a newspaper dated for the next day so he tries to prevent any tragedies that he reads in that paper. Again, not really time travel, but close enough.

Lizardus
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness.
http://themadpigeon.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/evil_dead_3_1.jpe
Trapped in Time.
Surrounded by Evil.
Low on Gas.

HELL YES!

From my list i recommend (all categories):
A sound of thunder short story (ignore the movie)
Timeline both book and movie
Stargate!
Chrono cross/trigger
Bill and Ted
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!!\o/
God of war
Legend of Zelda
Legacy of Kain
The coo coo clock of doom
The End of Eternity
Futurama
The Anubis Gates
Just visiting(original)
12 Monkeys
Seven Days
Dr Who
Samurai Jack
Journey man

Llamas
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
A Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
There's actually a movie version of that book, called "A Kid in King Arthur's Court". It's basically a kids' movie, but it's kinda good, haha.

As for TV
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Savemejebus/intro_tru_calling.jpg
BRING IT BACK FOX :mad: :mad:

YESSSS!!!! That show was sooooooo good! Per, watch Tru Calling. It's very, very good. Now I wanna rewatch the whole series. haha... it's really good.

JohnnyNemesis
03-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Play the video game Chrono Trigger.

All other mediums of entertainment will be obsolete after playing that masterpiece.

nieh
03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Rick speaks the truth.

T-6005
03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I also remember a show called Early Edition. It's about a guy who receives a newspaper dated for the next day so he tries to prevent any tragedies that he reads in that paper. Again, not really time travel, but close enough.
That show was awesome!

mrconeman
03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Play the video game Chrono Trigger.

Second.

But if we're talking about games with time travel, it's all about the Legacy of Kain.

nieh
03-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, considering Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever, not just one of the best games involving time travel, I don't think we are talking about Legacy of Kain.

Rag Doll
03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
The X-Files

Specifically, these episodes...

Season 4, Episode 19 - Synchrony
Season 6, Episode 3 - Triangle (great ep, I think, in general)
Season 6, Episode 15 - Monday

Llamas
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I'd also like to mention Lost, at least the recent episodes. The new episode a couple weeks ago was awesome and totally was all about time travel.

Jebus
03-15-2008, 10:27 PM
You got the deadly double Jebus/ilovellamas approval so you have to watch it now. That's right. Our approvals kill people. Cause its deadly. Yes.

Anyways, Eliza Dushku should be enough reason enough to watch it.

Forgot to mention Heroes. It's not completely centered around time-travel but awesome nonetheless.

Llamas
03-15-2008, 10:39 PM
You got the deadly double Jebus/ilovellamas approval so you have to watch it now. That's right. Our approvals kill people. Cause its deadly. Yes.
Well, our approvals only kill people if said people don't follow our advice. Our approvals are badass, but they show discretion.

Anyways, Eliza Dushku should be enough reason enough to watch it.
Agreed ;)

Forgot to mention Heroes. It's not completely centered around time-travel but awesome nonetheless.
Ohhhhh yes good point. Heroes and Lost. Neither are focused around the theme, but they both make good use of it.

But watch Tru Calling first. Your life depends on it.

wheelchairman
03-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Twelve Monkeys
Got it for Christmas, have been meaning to watch it.

Sliders was pretty good. They don't technically travel back in time, but they go to alternate historical realities.

Seeing as I watched it when it came out and I was very young, you must have been like 3 or something. OR they are re-airing it in America, which would be awesome.
The coo coo clock of doom
[/QUOTE]
Isn't that a Goosebump's book?

There's actually a movie version of that book, called "A Kid in King Arthur's Court". It's basically a kids' movie, but it's kinda good, haha.

Actually I think we rented it when I was young.

The X-Files

Specifically, these episodes...

Season 4, Episode 19 - Synchrony
Season 6, Episode 3 - Triangle (great ep, I think, in general)
Season 6, Episode 15 - Monday
Now that sounds kinda cool, I'll try and watch those.

I'd also like to mention Lost, at least the recent episodes. The new episode a couple weeks ago was awesome and totally was all about time travel.
I have a very very very hard time believing that Lost has Time Travel.

In fact I don't believe it.

Jebus
03-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Wikipedia says it started airing in 1995 and ended in 2000. I was 7-12 years old when it was airing. I wasn't that young. =\

Tbh, I didn't remember much about the show until recently, but I'm pretty sure it was one of my favorite shows along with X-files back then. I watched a few episodes online not too long ago for nostalgia's sake though.

wheelchairman
03-16-2008, 04:02 AM
I guess I was older than I thought by 1995.

There is a friend of the family, a writer, who was in a class with the guy who plays the main character. Apparently he's some kind of a douche or something. It was a great show though. Especially during the first seasons. There was always plenty of room for creativity in the writing. I would put it up there with The Next Generation actually.

Tizzalicious
03-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Are you just trying to confuse me with all the time travel movies?

Llamas
03-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I have a very very very hard time believing that Lost has Time Travel.

In fact I don't believe it.

Warning to anyone who watches Lost and isn't caught up: spoilers may be coming.

Per, first of all, they've proven that the time on the island moves differently than that on the rest of the Earth, like a boat left, and one of the guys on the island said, "They've been gone for like three days, where are they?" but they'd only been gone for about a half hour. So all this has led up to play into some time travel stuff.

Then, a couple episodes ago, this guy Desmond got in a helicopter to leave the island, and they hit some sort of rift between the island and real life, and Desmond started basically time traveling. It was really effing cool, one of my favorite episodes in a long time. He kind of "passed out" and woke up in an earlier time period for him (he was going back and forth between these two for the entire episode), but it was 100% real. It wasn't like dreaming. He was actually there, could control his actions, and if something was told to him while he was in the island, when he went back to the earlier time again, he could remember it and do what he was told to do before. He was instructed to do something while he's back in the earlier time, and to find a certain person because the time travel thing was going to cause a brain aneurysm and he was gonna die if he didn't do this. It's really cool. Even if you don't watch any of the rest of Lost, I'd suggest checking that episode out.

Plus, the last episode has left a lot of viewers thinking it might be part of the premise of the show. Just google "lost time travel" and click a couple links.

Wolfbutter
03-16-2008, 09:59 AM
What's so special about Chrono Trigger anyway? I played about half way through and stopped because it was boring. I think I was in like some prehistoric place. Average gameplay with incredible music and graphics. And all that backtracking was annoying.

0r4ng3
03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Bender's Big Score has time travel. Lots of time travel.

T-6005
03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Just when I thought Lost couldn't make up any more ridiculous bullshit.

JohnnyNemesis
03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
What's so special about Chrono Trigger anyway? I played about half way through and stopped because it was boring. I think I was in like some prehistoric place. Average gameplay with incredible music and graphics. And all that backtracking was annoying.

Ohhhhh you done did it now.

I KILL U SCUM

Jebus
03-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Just discovered Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/show/590/sliders) has the first few episodes from Sliders. I think I remember why I originally fell in love with it as a kid now. Must have been the incredible screensaver technology they used for the portal. Ah, the smallest things amused me back then.

Also, I have to mention that one episode from Stargate Sg-1. The one where Tealc and Jack get stuck in an infinite time loop and relive the same day over and over again. It has to be one my favorite episodes from the show.

Tijs
03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I wish I was good at remembering the names of movies. But I know two, one of which I enjoyed, and the other one I can't remember if I enjoyed it or not.

The one I enjoyed is about two army-pilots getting send back to the 1960's I guess. By accident, I think they were flying around and then crashed or their planes malfunctioned. They don't go back at the same time, but apart from each other. It's all happening in the U.S. The movie is quite old I think, I saw it years ago.

Two people are communicating through time. They both are in the same house, and playing around with a radio, pirate broadcasting. Somehow they manage to get in contact with eachother, and the "early" man sends stuff to the person in this time, by hiding it somewhere in the house so the person in this time can open it. I think they were relatives from eachother, but I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who reads these knows which movies I'm talking about.

Nicole
03-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Dr Who. If you're going to do time travel you must have a tardis and daleks involved. And of course while you're traveling the dimensions of space and time you must have frequent stop offs in Britain in all its 'modern' and historical phases, and some of the best D grade costumes for the earlier episodes.

wheelchairman
03-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Just discovered Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/show/590/sliders) has the first few episodes from Sliders. I think I remember why I originally fell in love with it as a kid now. Must have been the incredible screensaver technology they used for the portal. Ah, the smallest things amused me back then.

Also, I have to mention that one episode from Stargate Sg-1. The one where Tealc and Jack get stuck in an infinite time loop and relive the same day over and over again. It has to be one my favorite episodes from the show.Ohh gonna download that.
Also yeah I know that episode, TNG did something like that very early on that was cool, so I want to see that. (And TNG's episode guest starred Kelsey Grammar.)

I wish I was good at remembering the names of movies. But I know two, one of which I enjoyed, and the other one I can't remember if I enjoyed it or not.

The one I enjoyed is about two army-pilots getting send back to the 1960's I guess. By accident, I think they were flying around and then crashed or their planes malfunctioned. They don't go back at the same time, but apart from each other. It's all happening in the U.S. The movie is quite old I think, I saw it years ago.

Two people are communicating through time. They both are in the same house, and playing around with a radio, pirate broadcasting. Somehow they manage to get in contact with eachother, and the "early" man sends stuff to the person in this time, by hiding it somewhere in the house so the person in this time can open it. I think they were relatives from eachother, but I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who reads these knows which movies I'm talking about. I've heard about the second one, and that sounds pretty coool

wheelchairman
03-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Apparently Hulu doesn't work in my country or region (at least not with sliders.)

Of all the stupid lies....

Lizardus
03-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Maybe someone who reads these knows which movies I'm talking about.
Frequency.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0186151/

IamSam
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Something I think everyone should see is the HBO series Rome. And not just because all of the gratuitous sex.

Endymion
03-17-2008, 01:24 PM
rome is one of the better hbo series, but no time travel.

nieh
03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Dr Who

I saw a 'new' Dr. Who movie way back when I was in middle school that was pretty neat. It was back with the guy that had the obsession for Swedish fish. Then I saw two or three episodes of the most recent version of the series a few months ago and fucking hated it. Seriously.

Not Ozymandias
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
The Butterfly Effect is a must-see for Ashton Kutcher's "performance". In some scenes he forgets he's supposed to be serious & troubled and starts doing his goofy-guy schtick. And he hops while he runs like the apes in Planet of the Apes.