PDA

View Full Version : Something that creeped me out a bit.

Jakebert
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Earlier this evening I watched a documentary about skinheads/white supremacists in modern America. Towards the end of the documentary, they talked about how illegal immigration has helped increase the numbers of skinheads in the country. During the course of this, they interviewed a number of skinheads about their beliefs.

And what creeped me out is how many of them sound exactly like mainstream conservative pundits and people that I've met in person who identify as conservative. Some of the stuff sounds exactly like stuff I've heard from people on a daily basis since this whole debate started.

I've never really believed in the "conservatives are racist!" stuff as a whole, because I grew up in a conservative town and know, or used to know, that stereotype is usually false.

But, it did confirm to me that Michael Savage is a racist fuck, since every rant on the whole show mirrored stuff that he says on a daily basis.

GBH2
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
You always see a few white supremacists/skinheads on those prison documentaries on tv. they'll be interviewing, talking about about their beliefs, and i get the same feeling that you do- they come off as god-fearing bible-belters. of course, then they say that ALL BLACKS AND JEWS MUST DIE.

and then they describe how they're in prison because they jacked their parents in the back of the neck with an icepick and dug out their brains.

Homer
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I recently learned that there was a Nazi culture in Winnipeg.

I guess the Nazi Punks never really did Fuck Off?

jacknife737
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I recently learned that there was a Nazi culture in Winnipeg.

I guess the Nazi Punks never really did Fuck Off?

If youíre interested, i'd recommend a book called Web of Hate by Warren Kinsella, it focuses on far-right extremist groups in Canada (a lot of them seem to be drawn to the Prairies for some reason). Itís an amazing and terrifying read.

offspringer24
03-20-2008, 04:22 AM
could be that the left wing numpty's are shoving this stuff down your throat to make you believe this, i definetly edge cons and im not racist in the slightest!

Mota Boy
03-20-2008, 05:31 AM
could be that the left wing numpty's are shoving this stuff down your throat to make you believe this, i definetly edge cons and im not racist in the slightest!...

You mean you actually believe that Nazis recorded on film stating their own beliefs in their own words is actually somehow a conspiracy by liberals? You may not be racist (I bet you even have a black friend!), but you do come across as incredibly paranoid. And the point wasn't that "conservatives are racist", but that "conservatives that argue against illegal immigration use the same arguments that Nazis use". Your defensiveness itself invites skepticism.

Still, Jakebert, correlation ain't causation. If you interviewed members of the Environmental Liberation Front, they'd use the same arguments that you'd hear by someone weighing a decision to purchase a Prius. The difference is one of degree - the extent to which people believe that any threat, in this case the one to some vaguely-defined "American" way of life, supersedes other considerations such as the rights of others. Conservatives are, by definition, resistant to change, and spilling another race with another language and another culture across the country is a big-ass change.

They're unhappy with it and want it to stop (to an extent, I can agree with them with this thought experiment - were the borders completely removed and everyone who wanted to come into the US could, it would quickly overwhelm our systems and depress wages, making life better for the immigrants, perhaps, but worse for Americans). The thought experiment carries over that there must be *some* level at which immigration becomes bad, and even when the collective benefits to the country *and* the immigrants starts to become negative. Does that make me a racist? Uh, maybe? Given the subjective definition of the word, it certainly opens me up to accusations of racism. That's the problem with this issue, however - it's an economic issue, a cultural issue, a social issue and, because the immigrants are predominantly of one race and people of this country predominantly of another, a racial issue. So it's easy to conflate one aspect of the debate with another. Are some conservatives racist? Certainly! Are human beings racist? Fuck yeah. And certainly there are degrees of lovin' your brother, but I don't think that most people that oppose illegal immigration are racist enough to be called racists, under the vague mainstream definition of the concept.

offspringer24
03-20-2008, 05:50 AM
good points well written and a good read :) i was basically making a general statement that what i posted does go on. i was'nt being specific to this example, sorry for the confusion.... my bad :)

Llamas
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I was hoping this thread was going to be about Jakebert's encounter with JohnnyNemesis's penis.

wheelchairman
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Johnny Nemesis' penis is nicknamed: Creepenis. (GET IT?)

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
He's used to mine by now.