PDA

View Full Version : I have a horrible confession.

Jakebert
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
In mid-January, I decided that I would try to figure out what all the hype about Lost was about, even though I'd never watched it before. ABC.com has the entire series up for streaming, and I watched it from the beginning. And now, as I sadly confess to you all, I fit in with all of those obsessive nerds who jizz over every episode and little detail. You can see why I hid this from you for so long, as it is much like being a Star Trek nerd.

Anyway, some of you other obsessed nerds, let's discuss.

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Have "obsessions with Lost" been included on the "Stuff White People Like" blog yet? It should be right up there with hummus.

WebDudette
03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I love hummus!

Haven't seen an episode of Lost though.

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I love hummus!

I do too, actually. Shameful is me :(

Jakebert
03-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Have "obsessions with Lost" been included on the "Stuff White People Like" blog yet? It should be right up there with hummus.

I dislike hummus, so I guess I'm not completely white.

Jebus
03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know what hummus is.

As for lost, I watched the first few episodes when it just came out and thought it was great. Later on I missed a few episodes and it got too convoluted for me to stay interested in.

Fuck lost. I'm in the middle of watching season 2 of Sliders.

Cock Joke
03-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I read that Lost is one of those shows where you gotta watch pretty much from the very beginning in order to understand the plot, and even then you're not guaranteed to get it, then each episode is just way too big of a cliffhanger. So no, I'm probably never gonna watch it.

Jakebert
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Not every episode is a huge cliffhanger, only a handful. Plus, the way they do the mysteries/answers is exactly what got me hooked. I got curious about an answer to a certain question, so I watched another episode, then another, etc. Then once they answered that question, they had already created 5-6 more questions that I wanted to know the answer to.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I do too, actually. Shameful is me :(
Of course. Who could forget?

I'm drunk. really fuckin drunk like a lot.

I've been eating corn chips dipped in hummus and listening to Stop take some time to thjink figure out whats important to you on repeat for a long time.

oh shit i pathetic

Llamas
03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I have some hummus in the fridge right now that's labeled "homos". It makes me lol every time I eat it.

Anyway, Lost is quite a good show. I mean, the characters suck, the dialogue sucks, the actors suck... but the plot is so damn captivating that I can't stop watching. I haven't watched Thursday's episode yet... I'm trying to download it. Grr. But the recent episode about what's happening to Desmond was AWESOME.

Jakebert
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I disagree on the characters/actors, or at least some of them. Locke and Ben are two of my favorite TV characters ever, and Hurely is a good character when he's not just used for comedic relief. Jack and Kate are pretty cliched characters, though. I also really liked Charlie on the island. His backstory sucked, but on the island, his character arc was pretty interesting.

I wasn't huge on the Desmond episode, or at least not as much as most people. I mean, I'm glad they delt with the whole time travel thing in a way that wasn't cheesy, but I still don't like the time travel/seeing into the future stuff that they've done with Desmond, mostly because I'm worried it's gonna be used as a copout sometime.

They stream episodes on ABC.com in HD quality, so you might want to check that out. That's what I use if I miss an episode. I won't give any spoilers on this week, but I will say that if you're like me, you will want to punch Sayid at the end of the episode.

TBD
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I have a confession to make as well.

Two years ago my housemates had seasons 1 of Desperate Housewives and Lost.

I really enjoyed one.

The other one was Lost.

Llamas
03-22-2008, 11:30 PM
My episode is 68% done downloading, and I like that it's full screen without any commercials, so that's what I usually use. But hopefully I'll see it tomorrow.

I don't wanna wanna punch Sayid... I like him. :( But I'm pissed that he works for Ben in the future. WTF.

HornyPope
03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a confession to make as well.

Two years ago my housemates had seasons 1 of Desperate Housewives and Lost.

I really enjoyed one.

The other one was Lost.

You should have kept this one to yourself.

I haven't watched a single episode of either of the shows. I'm just different like that.

T-6005
03-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I can't watch lost. I watched a few episodes, and then a few more later on. They just make more and more problems and the answers are pretty much nonexistent.

mrconeman
03-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Black Smoke Cloud of what?

Drafan
03-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I can't watch lost. I watched a few episodes, and then a few more later on. They just make more and more problems and the answers are pretty much nonexistent.

Exactly. When I saw some captions and about 5 episodes, I have had enough. Itīs insolent to let people watch this mess for several years.

Little_Miss_1565
03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
lulz.

Five questions the Lost writers need to answer (and why they won't) (http://www.cracked.com/article_15838_5-questions-lost-writers-need-answer-why-they-wont.html)

Llamas
03-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm reading the link you posted, Sarah... and the first one about Michael and Walt... well they obviously came back back now. They're gonna explain that stuff. But I lol'd at the "Walt aging a year every month" thing... I'd been thinking about that when I watched the new episode last night. Oh, and this site is clearly full of false information. I learned this when I read, "through some diligent research, we have come to discover that not all black people are evil by default." Fuck no.

Libby is also back in Michael's hallucinations, so I think they might explain the deal with Libby.

I do agree with the numbers one, the foot statue one, and the kidnapped survivors, though. Especially the numbers one. I will be severely disappointed if the show ends and they never explain the numbers or the black smoke. omg.

wheelchairman
03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
The more I learn about LOST, the more I'm shocked that people swallow this tripe.

(Now for some free tripe!)

Jakebert
03-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the statue is going to get explained pretty soon, because the Others have fled to some place called "the temple" and I'm willing to bet that the two tie in.

With the Walt thing, I think that answer could be the same as Desmond's flashes or Locke's ability to walk. Also: WAAAAAAAAAAAALT.

They already answered #4 a while ago. The Others take people in to make their group larger, then leave people that they don't like out into the jungle to die on their own.

As for the numbers, yeah, that's one thing I always disliked about the show. I thought the numbers were retarded, and they could have delt with Hurely being a junx in a much better way.

My guess on Sayid working for Ben is that Ben is actually telling the truth about the people on the boat, and Sayid is working with him to help the people left on the island.

[endnerdtransmission]

Vera
03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I never got into Lost and thank fucking god, too. I don't think I could do with the aggravation of getting more questions asked than answered. Plus I don't think the other aspects of the show would appeal to me, either. I watched for 15 minutes this one time because the Korean girl speaks such good Korean but then I was like "Wait, I could just go watch a KOREAN SHOW" and tuned out.

Heroes was one Lost-like mystery cliffhanger type of shit show and that one disappointed me SO MUCH. It had its moments but last three eps of S1 and all of S2 so far have just been shit after shit and then some more shit. I wish they could do a Dallas and have just all of S2 become a dream or something.

Anyway, I hope Lost gets the ending it deserves but I do kind of doubt the writers know what they're doing, based on hearing fans of the show discuss it.

PS. Naveen Andrews is hot, though.

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
(Now for some free tripe!)

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University.

Llamas
03-23-2008, 12:05 PM
For me, I mostly watch it for the social aspect. My friend and I put aside a weekend almost 2 years ago to watch season 1 of Lost together. Now our episode of Lost every week is our excuse to hang out, because we're both quite busy and we live in different cities now. We get together at 8pm, watch the episode, and then sit and chat for a while. That's how it's been for some time now. When I was in Europe last year, it was much less enjoyable for me to watch the show, cause I had to watch it alone. I'm really not much of a TV person... it's no fun for me to watch a show alone, plus I don't have the time or interest in setting aside time during the week just to watch some shows. So really, Lost could be any show that I watch with my good friend. I probably never would've watched the show otherwise.

wheelchairman
03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
based on hearing fans of the show discuss it.

Fans have the most obnoxious critiques of anything. I fucking hate fans.

No seriously, fans suck.

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University.
I had completely forgotten about that line. awesome.

wheelchairman
03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
For me, I mostly watch it for the social aspect. My friend and I put aside a weekend almost 2 years ago to watch season 1 of Lost together. Now our episode of Lost every week is our excuse to hang out, because we're both quite busy and we live in different cities now. We get together at 8pm, watch the episode, and then sit and chat for a while. That's how it's been for some time now. When I was in Europe last year, it was much less enjoyable for me to watch the show, cause I had to watch it alone. I'm really not much of a TV person... it's no fun for me to watch a show alone, plus I don't have the time or interest in setting aside time during the week just to watch some shows. So really, Lost could be any show that I watch with my good friend. I probably never would've watched the show otherwise.

Holy crap Bella, that was the most long-winded explanation of "I only watch that show with my friends" ever.

Holy crap you're not Bella!

HeadAroundU
03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Lol, Lost, (Lolst :D ), the best TV show ever! FUCK NO!!!

Llamas
03-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Holy crap Bella, that was the most long-winded explanation of "I only watch that show with my friends" ever.

Holy crap you're not Bella!

And as long winded as it was, you still managed to miss the point :P

wheelchairman
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
oh if only there was some way to state a point simply...

/end heavy use of sarcasm

Although if you had written about Star Trek, I probably would've enjoyed the verboseness of it.

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
And as long winded as it was, you still managed to miss the point :P

That's...kind of...his poi--

Um. Forget it. What I mean to say is, let's take a look at the killing floor.

Don't let the name throw you, Jimmy! It's not really a floor. It's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported!

BREAK
03-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I wanna fuck Sawyer.

As long as we're confessing.

Camilamazed
03-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Is a person considered obssessive nerd when she's watched the first 3 season 4 times and the 4th one two (so far)?

Fine, I am that stupid.

I also played the on line games before the seasons and I must confess that I still don't have a clue of what Lost is all about.

Things change in every episode one watches. All I had known so far, changed with the episode "The Constant".

killer_queen
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Although he has sex with godless, infidel whores I have an undying love for Sayid. That's all.

Jakebert
03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I'd do Claire if it wasn't for the baby. No guy wants a chick with a baby, I'll tell you what.

Alex is pretty cute too, but her mom looks like a dude.

wheelchairman
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd do Claire if it wasn't for the baby. No guy wants a chick with a baby, I'll tell you what.

Interesting fact, one person on this board has stated that they had dated a person with a child. And that this person was the hottest person in high school (or middle school or something). However at that time they were far out of their league, this person came to the interesting theory that as people get older they lower their standards significantly.

Fuck Tizz.

EDIT: Actually it was about the seeming disparity between pretty people and nice people. And that pretty people while young only tend to stay with other people of equal looks (while personality wise they might be on the thuggish and dickish side) and that it takes an edge of maturity to look for someone with a more nurturing personality).

JoY
03-24-2008, 06:49 AM
God, grant Jakebert the strength to accept the things he cannot change, the courage to change the things he can, & the wisdom to know the difference.

Amen.

dude, I can't stand Lost.

Little_Miss_1565
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I love watching Lost at this bar in Manhattan that shows it on all the million TVs it has (it's usually a sports bar I think) but it has a nice irish pub feel. Everyone gets real quiet during the show so everyone can hear and there is much shouting when cool shit happens. And before every episode, they put out fliers saying if x happens during the show, everybody gets a shot of jungle juice. Like if someone dies, or if one of the rescuers gets punched. It rules.

Sunny
03-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know what hummus is.

WHATTT.

also, my husband makes me watch Lost, that mother fucker. the show confuses the hell out of me, and the characters are creepy looking. noooo thanks.

i retaliate by making him watch "real housewives of orange county". snap!

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
WHATTT.

That's only half bad. I tried to explain what hummus is to my friend's girlfriend once and she's blinks at me and says "I still don't understand". Wow, what a retard. Then she complains that she can't get into a university, that the "system" is unfair.

Sunny
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
*dies*

omg, you suck. i'm at work!

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Whatcha working at, some design stuff? Taking pictures?

Mota Boy
03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I actually bought the first season of Lost here for under three bucks and watched the first eight or nine episodes before losing interest. I kinda want to get back to it, but never get around to it.

In related news, I just discovered 30 Rock.

JoY
03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
also, my husband makes me watch Lost, that mother fucker. the show confuses the hell out of me, and the characters are creepy looking. noooo thanks.

oh YES, fully agreed.