PDA

View Full Version : In three years

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Do you see yourself spending more time online or less?

Sinister
03-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Hopefully a lot less, because by then I should have better things to do.

wheelchairman
03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Less. Unless I get a real job in an office or something, then probably more. What about you?

Odd thing is being online for the past 8 years now has shaped my development in a way that being disconnected wouldn't have. It seems that these days everyone posts on some sort of a forum or another. Which seems odd to me since it was so unusual among my peers 8 years ago.

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Less. Unless I get a real job in an office or something, then probably more. What about you?

Odd thing is being online for the past 8 years now has shaped my development in a way that being disconnected wouldn't have. It seems that these days everyone posts on some sort of a forum or another. Which seems odd to me since it was so unusual among my peers 8 years ago.

Ideally, less. I want to move away from the internet cause it's become so fucking mainstream. I think I'm gonna go retro and start watching VHS movies.

In reality though, seing as it's so engrained in our life, I'll probably spend equal amounts. I'm just going to try and do it more productively or something.

Sunny
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
eh, probably around the same. especially since i'm prolly gonna get some version of the iphone/real web browsing phone by then. and i'm already addicted to being online on my blackberry, so. =/

Vera
03-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Less. But this is wishful thinking I'll get into uni and I have no idea how much time that sucks out, some of my friends seem to spend the same time online when in uni as they did in high school.. *shrugs*

wheelchairman
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
You'll probably spend more since most Uni's seem to have hotspots.

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Less. But this is wishful thinking I'll get into uni and I have no idea how much time that sucks out, some of my friends seem to spend the same time online when in uni as they did in high school.. *shrugs*

Most of us surf to procrascinate away from school.

mrconeman
03-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I want to say less, but honestly probably exactly the same.

Mota Boy
03-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I dunno... I've diversified my internet entertainment ventures - whereas the BBS once soaked up vast amounts of time, my time here now waxes and wanes, in competition with all the myriad other online distractions, none of which ever commands as much attention as this. I've even found myself fairly resistant to the latest time-wasters, such as social networking sites and online games.

I'll always be an information junkie, and the web is such a handy way to waste time. I could imagine some new internet "revolution" emerging in a few years ("Web 3.0", anyone?) that owns me, or I could continue a slow drift away, to my goal of using the internet only to accomplish firm, predetermined goals, like perusing the news or writing a friend, but, eh... I think in three years I'll either be in grad school or working in a field that doesn't allow much time off, so I suppose life could very well get in the way.

But what's fun about the future is the utter unpredictability of it all.

Rag Doll
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
It kinda depends. My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving in together....if we do within the next three years (so expensive around here, kinda want a house instead of an apartment)...then less time online. Less boredom = less internet. I can imagine it staying roughly the same though, because we're both broke as fuck.

JohnnyNemesis
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I didn't think I'd stay here for three years at all once I registered in Dec 2004. I thought I'd be too busy. And here I am with more posts than anyone on this godforsaken BBS and my life is a goddamned mess lolololololo.

So yeah, I'll probably be around. But part of me hopes I won't be...

Tired_Of_You
03-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know how I could spend less time here than I do now, unless I just wouldn't come here anymore. In 3 years I should begin my master in anthropology unless I decide to study something else... so I suppose I won't have as much time as I have at the moment. I guess it means I'll do the same thing : lurk and post like twice a month.

MrJoe
03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I used to spend a lot of time online, and on here and another forum I used to post a fair amount. Nowadays I find although I spend a couple of hours online most days, its still relatively brief and I rarely post on message boards more read if anything. Even though I had a pretty good social life back when I first joined these forums in 2003 I think, my social life is even busier now and I probably have about one night in a week, and I work full-time during mon-friday.

0r4ng3
03-24-2008, 01:33 PM
I'll probably spend less, if I follow the pattern of the last three years. Back in 2005, I once was online for 10 hours straight, and that wasn't too far from the norm.

Cock Joke
03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
More. It gets me away from reality.

...gay.

Andy
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Hopefully in three years time I'd have finally got a place to live with a couple of friends. If so, I'll be spending more time in social areas in contrast to being up in my room watching DVD's and looking at crap online.

If we don't get a place, then I'll probably be spending the same time online.

Nina
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I think it will stay the same for me. I'll most likely be busier in three years, (equally busy at least), and I have a way of being more organized with how I spend my time the busier I am because I dont want to waste time. I consider the time I spend online a way of relaxation, and I doubt that will change; the only thing that will possibly change is what I do online to get away from life for a bit. It used to be this forum and chatting and interaction through eMail back in the day, lately it's livejournal and communities at livejournal - it may be something completely different in three years.

BREAK
03-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Three years isn't a long enough period of time for any major incremental change in my habits to set in (unless I resolved to change them starting riiiight....NOW, which I won't). However, within that period of time I will most likely embark on my career path/child-rearing adventures which will probably eat up more of my free time than I ever thought possible. Sure the mechanics of what constitutes my "life" will change, but my interests and hobbies will not. I'll try to spend as much time online as possible, I just won't have as much time on my hands to pursue that particular pastime.

Which is all just a long way of saying that while the volume of time I spend online will be less, the percentage of available (i.e. non-work) time I spend on the computer will stay more or less the same.

Jakebert
03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
My post average will probably decrease a bit, as it kind of has been already anyway.

JohnnyNemesis
03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I hope someone saves this thread and shows it to those of us still on the BBS in three years. It'd be funny to see some of the responses from the new people and old people then.

0r4ng3
03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Do you suppose there's a thread like this from three years ago?

HornyPope
03-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you suppose there's a thread like this from three years ago?

Nah, but I'm pretty sure three years ago people thought that the online time they will spend three years from that moment (which is today) will decrease from the time they were spending three years aog (which is three years ago). In reality, and I'm just making a guess based on what I see, the time people spend online decreased only somewhat, and not quite to the levels it was expected.

/ i dont know if im makign sense, im not going even going to re-read it.

Jebus
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Mark yer calenders. We're having a bbs reunion meetup in the bbs in 5 years.

Sidewinder
03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
In three years I'll be mid college. I'll probably spend more time online, but less on forums.

My post count is significantly lower than it was with AAE. I'm already spending less here.

Not Ozymandias
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Wait, you were All About Eve? I thought you were Linda. :o

In 3 years I aim to be living on a South American coast with no electricity and writing terrible Clash-inspired fiction. So less.

Llamas
03-25-2008, 12:25 AM
This is the only message board I really post at at all, and just the fact that my average posting frequency went from like 19 posts a day to around 12 since June, implies I'm already spending less time online. I don't really use networking sites that much... and I don't really chat on messengers much anymore. I check email, check any new major updates on facebook, see if anything exciting is going on here... otherwise, I really only use the internet to look up/research questions I have or just to learn things in general. I've been getting complaints that I'm never on AIM anymore. I expect this to continue... I think I'm outgrowing the more procrastinating/relaxing aspects of the internet.

TBD
03-25-2008, 01:56 AM
I AM GETTING A SUDDEN URGE TO READ A HARRY POTTER BOOK TO SEE WHAT I HAVE BEEN MISSING.

THEN I WILL START MY OWN FANTASY NOVEL.

ok

ruroken
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Depends on if there's anything I want to download and how bored I am at school/work.

ad8
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
For me, it might stay the same, although I'll (hopefully) finish up school next year and don't know what I'll be up to. In the worst case, I might end up dead somewhere in Afghanistan and in the most likely case, I'll be at the university (where everything would stay the same, I think). And I still have a 0,0000001% chance of becoming famous or somehow becoming a millionaire and sitting around at home all day.:D