PDA

View Full Version : "I may be blowing my brains out, but I still wanna look nice!"

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
What the fuck? (http://www.attractivecorpse.com)

ad8
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
This is where capitalism gets us...
I mean why should you give a fuck about the world if you are so sick of it that you want to kill yourself?

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Glorifying suicide ---> Capitalism? Bit of a quantum leap, that.

ad8
03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I just thought of people saying: "Well, is there anything you can't buy yet? Oh yeah, of course, why not making the bodies of people who killed themselves a little more beautiful! We can sell that!"

Edit: Lol, I should have already at the first time read that page properly... I thought it was about making people beautiful after their suicide... but still, I think that people wouldn't do things like that if they wouldn't try to find a market niche with it.

Sunny
03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
this has jack shit to do with capitalism and everything to do with simple vanity with a pinch of idiocy.

a very large pinch.

holland25
03-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Jesus, this is sick. I wanna look good when I kill myself, blah, blah, blah... Why? Why do I have to look good when I'm dead and can't even give a fuck how I look anymore?

mrconeman
03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I just wanna know what the fuck you were googling for to stumble across a site called Attractive Corpse...

ad8
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
That would be interesting, indeed.

Andy
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
That seems more like the thinking behind an advert on a Grant Theft Auto radio station.

Offspring-Junkie
03-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Internet is sick, people are dumb....don't expect anything good. Entertainment allows anything that's possible and totally wrong.

JohnnyNemesis
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Quantum leap?!

Um, materialism has everything to do with capitalism, and this has everything to do with materialism.

wheelchairman
03-25-2008, 12:12 PM
oh also that it's a business selling a service in which it aids people to look good while taking their own lives.

You wanna look good while killing yourself? Take up smoking.

JohnnyNemesis
03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I mean, yeah. It's not exactly a direct correlation...but...well....actually, it is pretty fucking direct, heh.

ps. That's not to say this is all about, or only about capitalism. But this is a pretty obvious representation of how it crosses past political/economical lines.

Sunny
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
i think the human desire to be perceived as desirable/enviable at all times - even in death - predates to the development of capitalism, or any modern economic system for that matter. in this instance, capitalism is just an enabler.

IamSam
03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
So...by following their "guidelines" I'm guessing that this suicide is not kosher with them...

http://www.geocities.com/cornelius_ape/BurnBud.jpg

ad8
03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
i think the human desire to be perceived as desirable/enviable at all times - even in death - predates to the development of capitalism, or any modern economic system for that matter. in this instance, capitalism is just an enabler.
Well, I probably chose the wrong words so you could get me wrong because when I spoke about capitalism, I was referring to that website and that company and less to the human desire and stuff. JohnnyNemesis summed it up pretty well.

JohnnyNemesis
03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I think capitalism is more than an enabler.

I mean, that's sorta like saying that slavery just happened to be an "enabler" of racism. It's a crazy analogy, but what I'm trying to say is that these things don't just enable other things: they promote them and entrench them into teh very fabric of our society.

Sunny
03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
what i'm trying to say that these desires would still be there even without capitalism. perhaps they would be acted upon differently. perhaps they wouldn't be broadcast for the entire world to see. point is, capitalism is not a starting point here. it makes these fantasies possible, at a cost. the availability of such services certainly "empowers" and encourages people, in that sense.

however, to blame perverse desires on capitalism is pretty silly; what i'm trying to say is that people would be vain, selfish, navel-gazing dbags even without a system that encourages such behaviors.

JohnnyNemesis
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I see what you're saying, but I can't help but strongly disagree.

Maybe we'd all be d-bags either way, but I don't see how the very system that taps into and then creates more and more versions of those perverse desires gets off the hook here.

Would the perverse desires take different shape otherwise? Maybe, we don't really know for sure...but probably, yeah. Does capitalism create new versions and shapes of the very perverse desires that actually do exist? Well, yeah, we do know that for sure.

Not that any other system is inherently better when it comes to these matters or anything like that. I'm just trying to be straight up.

Sunny
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Does capitalism create new versions and shapes of the very perverse desires that actually do exist? Well, yeah, we do know that for sure.

i do agree with you there. in fact, i don't disagree with anything in your previous post =p

i suppose i have a bit of a pet peeve. anytime something awful surfaces, people tend to blame it on big things: religion, music, the internet, capitalism... essentially, anything but the person behind the atrocity. and it tends to piss me off. honestly, though, at their very core (in theory!) the concepts i mentioned are very broad and pretty neutral. none of them are inherently evil or corrupt. however, it's people that take these concepts, add their own twists, and use them for horrible purposes. yet, somehow, we always blame some huge institution or concept that's easy to point fingers at. yeah, capitalism is enabling us and allowing our desires to be expressed... but if our desires were inherently good, not even capitalism would change that (assuming it would exist).

does that make sense? ;p

Cock Joke
03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
OMG Like, when I die, I wanna be wearing purple nail polish, NOT pink! My lipstick has to match my mascara and I can't be having a bad hair day!!!

GreenTerror
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
"20% Discount for Double Suicides"

Wtf is wrong with everyone? Seriously? First the real Pokemon believers, now this? The human race never ceases to amaze me with all of its wtf.

IamSam
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I can kind of see where they are coming from. There is the whole 'die with honor' thought and it's understandable to think that if you are going to commit suicide it should be done tastefully and in a way that still suits you. However, suicide is still wrong in the eyes of the Catholic Church, so you shouldn't do it...right? ;)

What strikes me somewhat funny is it's similarity to Maddox's site.

The whole premise of the site though isn't entirely horrible. They do advise people to seek counseling and in order to use their service you have to go through the counseling process. Also, if someone is to commit suicide and they know that a loved one will find them (which if they have loved ones goes against the complete premise of suicide IMO) it would probably be nice to be an attractive corpse instead of having a whole the size of a grapefruit in the back of your head or your blackened, rotting body swaying from a tree limb.

Cock Joke
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
When I die, I want a sword stabbed directly through my heart to make it look as though I was killed in an epic sword fight!!!

Of course, the actual stabbing will take place after my death from whatever happens to strike me!

Conspiracyof1000
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
"20% Discount for Double Suicides"

Wtf is wrong with everyone? Seriously? First the real Pokemon believers, now this? The human race never ceases to amaze me with all of its wtf.

Oh God, don't start on the Pokemon believers. They scare me...
This, the Pokefreaks, and Netspeak have to be in my new top 5 reasons why humanity is slowly losing its mind. Along with them are standerdized tests and classes needed to teach good character.

Mota Boy
03-26-2008, 01:47 AM
This has everything to do with capitalism. It's pretty obvious that the site is a joke, and it's playing off of moral outrage to sell ads and t-shirts.

Honestly, you'll notice that there is absolutely no contact information on the site, or, most importantly, any place to enter credit card information. Instead, we are advised to "call [our] local suicide hotline", as they have Attractive Corpse's telephone number and will refer you, but only after an "extensive screening process". Uh, yeah. Does anybody here believe that a suicide hotline would team up with a business that it could only refer once it failed? "OK, you've made a pretty good argument, I guess you should kill yourself. Here's the number of a good business to help you in ending your own life."

Not to mention, who would *pay* for such a business? How easy is it to paint your own nails, do make-up (of course, we're talking terminally depressed people here, part of the joke) and then pop pills? Now, the business also claims to employ *seventeen* "experts" in a variety of fields including... anthropology? Not to mention offices in two of the world's most expensive real estate markets, a web site and a business end that require more employees. All that is paid for by suicidal customers that can get through their local hotline's rigorous "screening" process and are willing to spend the time talking to other people to arrange the suicide... Oh, and the company has managed to exist for three years now without the press noticing, or anyone with a (metaphorical) moral megaphone getting outraged.

I think the most interesting thing about this, however, is that the internet has moved beyond the point where merely an offensive site generated outrage. Now the site has to have an extensive disclaimer, as well as supply a plausible explanation for the lack of contact information.

GreenTerror
03-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Honestly, you'll notice that there is absolutely no contact information on the site, or, most importantly, any place to enter credit card information. Instead, we are advised to "call [our] local suicide hotline", as they have Attractive Corpse's telephone number and will refer you, but only after an "extensive screening process". Uh, yeah. Does anybody here believe that a suicide hotline would team up with a business that it could only refer once it failed? "OK, you've made a pretty good argument, I guess you should kill yourself. Here's the number of a good business to help you in ending your own life."

I found this to be very strange, too. They also say to refer to Snopes.com in the "Is this for real?" section. I did just that, and there was nothing anywhere even mentioning "Attractive Corpse". It's probably fake. But still, wtf?

ruroken
03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
That seems more like the thinking behind an advert on a Grant Theft Auto radio station.
Yeah, it does! Maybe it is...?

wheelchairman
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
oh man, I really should've looked harder at the site.

IamSam
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
What strikes me somewhat funny is it's similarity to Maddox's site.

I'm quoting myself...because I feel that this is important.

ninthlayer
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Capitalism is a pretty good scapegoat. Right guys?

Ryder1234
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM

i was just thinking that. thats like the website they created about that fake faith in san andreas ( i dont know the name just look on wiki). hmm...

ad8
03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Capitalism is a pretty good scapegoat. Right guys?

Well, actually I don't hate capitalism at all, but my first thought about that site was like "wow, someone just tried to find another market niche too badly".
After looking a bit closer to that site, I also start to believe that this is a fake since there are no forms to enter credit-card numbers and stuff which has become a normal thing in the web :(
And btw, thanks for the word scapegoat. I didn't know it until now. Dammit my english sucks...