PDA

View Full Version : What's enough sexual scandal to get a politician fired?

Vera
04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
In Finland, not much.

Foreign Affairs Minister fired over sexual text messages (http://www.hs.fi/english/article/MEP+Alexander+Stubb+to+replace+Ilkka+Kanerva+as+Fo reign+Minister/1135235217385).

No, he didn't want gay bondage sex or text minors with dirty stuff, he basically just made the mistake of SMSing naughtily from his work phone with some fame-hungry bimbo who gave the messages to a gossip rag called Hymy (Smile).

The messages were not even overt in their tone! The "naughtiest" was one where he said something like, "Have you ever done 'it' in an exciting place?". A lot of the messages scream out "OLD MAN!!!!" but that's about as big as the crime gets.

I'm so WTF'ed by this. Not that I thought the man was great or anything, but seriously -- firing him, for this?! Okay, he's an idiot because he's had a similar thing before and sure, he shouldn't have used his work phone for his horny outbursts of dirty old man-dom but still. It's not even as though he was harrassing her, as it doesn't seem like she texted him back saying "Uhh leave me alone!".

But Finns kicked up a fuss and here's the result.

Cock Joke
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Hahahahahahahaha! "Dirty old man-dom."

Yea. In the U.S. it takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooot of sexual mishaps (lol) to get fired from any political office.

T-6005
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
You may not have noticed, but the situation with French politicians is pretty loose. It gives a lot of leeway for politicians to do whatever they want, like found entire other families on the side (Miterrand) or hog up the tabloids for months about your painful divorce and then immediately get remarried (Sarkozy).

HeadAroundU
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, he was cheating on his wife, right?

Cock Joke
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
*Eagerly awaits a Clinton joke*

Vera
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, he was cheating on his wife, right?

The Finn? Yeah I always forget he has one because I think of him as just this old dirty man.

But it was basically just dirty flirting with some exotic dancer. Okay, there were over 200 messages, apparently, but I don't know. Still feels so ...small a thing.

HeadAroundU
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't know. I haven't read the link. I was just guessing. :d

In this case, I would fire him too.

HornyPope
04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
It's because he got caught, I think.

Llamas
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
That's a really stupid reason to fire a politician. He wasn't doing anything illegal, it seems, just stupid. that has no effect on his political ability or outcome.

Vera
04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Texting hoochies from a work phone.. I dunno, I guess it's just the outrage it caused in people. Honestly, I think it's an over-reaction but I think he should've damn well known better. I mean, this: http://bellemont.blogspot.com/2007/10/johanna-tukiainen.html

.. is the classy young lady he texted with. And like I said, this is his SECOND time being caught texting some 20 year old woman trying to get her 15 seconds of fame. Some men just think with their cocks, I guess.

HeadAroundU
04-04-2008, 06:49 AM
That's a really stupid reason to fire a politician. He wasn't doing anything illegal, it seems, just stupid. that has no effect on his political ability or outcome.
I absolutely disagree. It has nothing to do with legality or political ability. Isn't it about morals!?

He is simply not a good example for public. Do you want your children to be like him? Do you want to be cheated on? I don't want to say intelligent, but people with at least a bit of human decency don't act like that. I know that human being is not monogamous but this is simply not acceptable in advanced society. It doesn't matter how stupid it was, he did it. He got punished. End of story.

wheelchairman
04-04-2008, 07:16 AM
He got punished because that's how politics works.

The fact that society has become so moralizing and preachy itself, is actually rather annoying. I really would rather not know about people's private lives, and it's petty and pathetic to judge them for it.

ad8
04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
They punished him for getting his private life mixed up with his job, I think.
In this case, I support the opinion of HAU and think that politicians should be Idols or examples for the people. They should definately not be stupid cause where might that lead your country if the people who rule it just care about their cocks?

wheelchairman
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Since when have politicians ever been role models?

Ideally they should just run the country well. The rest is drama we don't need to get all pretentious about.

Vera
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of with Per here. It's an extremely dumb move that can make people really question your political credibility - how well you can do your job - but if it's not a downright illegal or misuse of power or something else of that sort, he shouldn't get fired.