PDA

View Full Version : Chill (?) Music

Sidewinder
04-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Alright, this is going to seem like a strange request.

Lately, I've been laying in bed and listening to music before I go to sleep. Or trying to, at least. Whenever I do this, it's because I'm tired but not fully sleepy enough to go to sleep. If I queue up music that's too soft or mellow, that combined with me laying still makes me bored and more awake. On the other hand, anything to fast gets me awake too.

I don't know exactly what I want, but I do know what I don't want. Nothing terribly "indie" (inb4 debate on the term) where the music varies a whole lot. No classic rock like The Beatles. I don't like them in general, and that type of music would grate on my sleeping attempts. In fact, nothing where they style changes a whole lot throughout the CD at all (yes, this means I can't queue up random songs from random artists, either -- that's more my OCD than anything, though).

The only good CD I've found recently is "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits, but I'm afraid it will loose its affect if it is used in that situation too frequently. So. Recommend me some musics, pl0x.

nieh
04-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Can you define "too soft and mellow"? I was going to recommend Blue Screen Life by Pinback but that could cross the line there.
Any of the last three albums by Isis might work. They're kinda-sorta in the same vein as Tool in that they do mostly atmospheric, hypnotic metal but they do it better. They're very fluid and make it feel like you're floating alone in the ocean. The only problem is that there's some screamy bits that pop up that might ruin the whole sleepiness aspect so you might want to give them a listen awake first and not put those songs on your playlist. They're great driving alone at night music, I could see them being able to help put someone to sleep too.
Red Sparrowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Very similar to Isis because they share the same guitarist, but Red Sparrowes are all instrumental so you don't have to deal with any screamy stuff.

Endymion
04-11-2008, 07:10 AM
queen ?

BREAK
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Try some post rock. Sigur Rós, GY!BE, Gregor Samsa, or even Battles might work.

Jakebert
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
"Moon Safari" by Air is considered one of the greatest "chillout" albums of all time. I would agree.

"Pink Moon" by Nick Drake is a good album to listen to when you're going to sleep.

opivy21
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I second the Godspeed You! Black Emperor recommendation.

randman21
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Speaking of Isis, I would probably suggest Bob Dylan's "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". He has a voice that I imagine would put you to sleep, but if you don't like this kind of music, it'll make things worse. A lot of stuff by The Eagles/Don Henley might be good, too. Err, maybe Santana? For a completely different turn, I would go with early, early They Might Be Giants.

sandwhichtrain
04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
i always hear people talking about listening to music to fall asleep, but this has never worked for me. i suggest doing the normal thing, ya know, getting exercise during the day so you're tired at night. but the truth is, if you put on an album, you will probably be so focused on trying to fall asleep that you will be too distracted to do it, then you will get all frustrated.

Cock Joke
04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Mothership, that's the "Best of" sort of album by Led Zeppelin, should work alright. Not all the songs are too soothing, but I think the majority are.

Jebus
04-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I wish I had something less predictable of me to say, but Colma by Buckethead has done the trick for me before.

Autonomist
04-12-2008, 12:06 AM
I use to make playlists for the same reason. Bob Marley, Daft Punk, Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan were always essentials. I'd also recommend The Police, K-os and generally any folk or reggae.

WebDudette
04-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I listen to music when I'm going to sleep quite often.

Albums:
Cat Power - You Are Free
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (specifically the song 'Sleep').
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Etiquette

If I'm really in the mood for it I can listen to a lot faster music like Give Up the Ghost and The Blood Brothers. But thats obviously not what you are asking for.

Andy
04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I can think of 3 albums that fit that criteria:

Oceansize - Everyone Into Position
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Pure Reason Revolution - Cautionary Tales for the Brave (not really an "album", it's a 4-track EP, but it's still a good half-hour long).