PDA

View Full Version : New Weezer song.

Jakebert
04-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Weezer is streaming the first single from their upcoming album "The Red Ablum" on their website. http://www.weezer.com/

Musically, I really like it. Seems like classic Weezer with a few cool experimentations. Lyrically, it's god-awful.

Cock Joke
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll listen to it later. I hope this other album is better than their previous abomination.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I demand a puce album.

nieh
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
If they stick around long enough you're bound to get one eventually.

Jakebert
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I'll listen to it later. I hope this other album is better than their previous abomination.

I think it should be. Rivers has let other memebers of the band sing/write songs and from what I've read, they've loosened up a bit, which has been their problem on the last 3 albums. They've sounded like they were trying way too hard to make another hit record.

randman21
04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm not a hardcore Weezer fan, so I can't speak to how this compares to their other stuff, but I like it enough to not change the station if it came on. I think this is the very rare song I've heard and thought that the lyrics get in the way of the song.

dff_punk
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Starts off a bit strange, but the chorus is actually really good (EDIT: Its awesome!!!) :)

nieh
04-18-2008, 08:02 AM
It's about a bajillion times better than Beverly Hills, but then again, an average Limp Bizkit song is a bajillion times better than Beverly Hills. The 'experimentation' sounds like self-conscious quirkiness and does nothing to add to the song, and the lyrics are atrocious as you said but it's still probably the best *sounding* thing they've done in a while. It still doesn't really have the charm of their early stuff, though. Even the barely written stuff on Rivers's demo cd like Chess were oozing with more charm in a single track than all the recent Weezer albums had put together. I'll probably download the album and see what I think of the rest.

randman21
04-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Funny. I haaaated "Beverly Hills" from the very first time I heard it until 6 months after it released. Now it's my jam.

0r4ng3
05-23-2008, 11:45 AM
The music video for Pork and Beans:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI

You'll either love it or hate it. Me, I love it.

JohnnyNemesis
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
The curse of Maladroit continues.

0r4ng3
05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm not familiar with Weezer's history, but I take it you don't like the video.

JohnnyNemesis
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Pretty much. And the Maladroit reference is about how they came out with two absolutely brilliant masterpieces, then the mildly disappointing Green Album. Then we (Weezer fans) were all like "meh, it's only one bad album, nothing to worry about", and then the Dope Nose single came out and we were like "fuck YES this song is awesome" and then Maladroit dropped and it turns out that there's nothing else on that godforsaken piece of shit that's even worth listening to and then we cried for the past six years.

Well, not ALL of us. But I know I did.

I didn't read much of the thread though. Forgive my rant please.

nieh
05-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty much. And the Maladroit reference is about how they came out with two absolutely brilliant masterpieces, then the mildly disappointing Green Album. Then we (Weezer fans) were all like "meh, it's only one bad album, nothing to worry about", and then the Dope Nose single came out and we were like "fuck YES this song is awesome" and then Maladroit dropped and it turns out that there's nothing else on that godforsaken piece of shit that's even worth listening to and then we cried for the past six years.

Pretty much. Most of Make Believe was musically more along the lines of the Green Album than Maladroit in that it was mostly just blah pop, but then there was Beverly Hills and the drug/diarrhea song which were just atrocious, as were most of the lyrics on the album.

dff_punk
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
The video is great! Especially the Numa Numa guy. Finally someone got that idea.

nieh
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
The Numa Numa guy....
I'm very, very happy I haven't actually watched the video yet because now I don't think I'm going to at all.

0r4ng3
05-23-2008, 01:03 PM
It has a lot of youtube memes in it. Numa Numa guy, Tay Zonday, All Your Base...heck, there's even a GI Joe PSA in there somewhere.

Which is why I said you'll either love it or hate it.

nieh
05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
It sounds like a bad episode of South Park that was on the other night.

jacknife737
05-23-2008, 01:15 PM
The video was alright, better then average. I do like the song though.

ThunderPX
05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
See if you can spot the very tiny Potter Puppet Pals reference too. They meant to put them in greater prominence but the puppets got lost on their way to CA because of FedEx.

Omni
05-27-2008, 02:00 AM
For me, nothing tops Hash Pipe. Green and Blue were the only two albums I liked at all. I don't get what the Pinkerton rage is all about, maybe I just have no taste in music. But, if since I liked the other color albums, I might like this one, too.

dff_punk
05-27-2008, 04:31 AM
I heard mixed up opinions about the new album. Some say it's the best they ever made, some say it's the worst they ever made. Well, Weezer:cool:

Jakebert
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I downloaded the leak and, well, I think I'm done with Weezer. I'll give this album a chance to grow on me, but I don't see it happening. After 4 lazy, uninspired albums, I really have no interest in them. It's hard to believe this is the same band that recorded Pinkerton.

Apathy
10-06-2008, 06:04 PM
So recently I've been loving Weezer.

I love 8/10 of the Blue album(I can't stand Holiday or Surf Wax America), 4/10 of the Green album, 0/10 of Make Believe, and the two new singles that I've heard.

What else is worth it? I've heard nothing but good things about Pinkterton but I don't think I've ever heard a single song off of it.

jacknife737
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I always felt that Make Believe has been somewhat underrated (i know i'm in the minority here, and i also have tendency to like horrible music sometimes but...), i mean once you get passed "Beverly Hills", it has some great pop songs, ie Perfect Situation, Hold Me, and We Are All on Drugs, ect.

Funny enough, although ive only heard like two songs off Pinkerton, i suspect it will be my favorite album of theirs; i really need to check that album out fully.

Llamas
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
So recently I've been loving Weezer.

I love 8/10 of the Blue album(I can't stand Holiday or Surf Wax America), 4/10 of the Green album, 0/10 of Make Believe, and the two new singles that I've heard.

What else is worth it? I've heard nothing but good things about Pinkterton but I don't think I've ever heard a single song off of it.

The only other albums are Pinkerton and Maladroit. Pinkerton is much like Blue Album. Maladroit is probably my favorite Weezer record. It's, in my opinion, the most unique. They messed around with heavier sounds and such. It's a good one.

I always felt that Make Believe has been somewhat underrated (i know i'm in the minority here, and i also have tendency to like horrible music sometimes but...), i mean once you get passed "Beverly Hills", it has some great pop songs, ie Perfect Situation, Hold Me, and We Are All on Drugs, ect.
I really like Make Believe, honestly. Beverly Hills is annoying, but other than that song, I like most of the songs on there. I think it's underrated. Haven't gotten into the new album, though.

Omni
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I couldn't stand Pinketon at all. And I don't understand how anyone who even remotely likes Weezer can dislike Perfect Situation. The lyrics are a little sappy, Rivers is a little too old to be singing stuff like that I think. But it's goddamn catchy.

So did the album grow on you, Jakebert?

Jakebert
10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
If anything, I think even less of it now that I've had time.

Apathy, Pinkerton is, in my opinion, one of the best mainstream rock albums of the 90's. I would disagree with llamas saying it's a lot like Blue, because it's a much darker, edgier record.

JohnnyNemesis
10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Pinkteron and the blue album are extremely different.

Apathy
10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I are such a loser.

I've been singing along to Say It Ain't So for about four days straight now. It's like my favorite song in the world, and I feel ashamed to say it because it's very popular amongst the rest of the worlds inhabitants.

I feel so mainstream and dirty. :(

This song is a prostitute. So much fun but every time you listen to it you get the feeling that you shouldn't be and suddenly you're listening to all these other songs and they're all giving you std's.

Thomas
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
I am reviving this thread to express my deep anger and hatred toward Weezer's latest single, "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived."

For me, Weezer has always been a sort of 50/50 band, where half of their music is great, and the other half is horrible.

They've really outdone themselves with this last single, though. The first time I heard it, it actually made me ANGRY. The only reason I listened to it all the way through was for the small hope that maybe it wasn't Weezer. Of course, I was wrong. I haven't heard a song that I despised so passionately in lord knows how many years. This song makes me want to throw a bunch of kittens in a bag and repeatedly beat them with a crowbar.

That's a slight exaggeration, of course, but the imagery does illustrate my general feelings toward their latest single.

IamSam
01-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Can't say that I'm a fan of that song myself.

jacknife737
01-26-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm really starting to despise the new(ish) Weezer. At first, i was kind of neutral on it; but this has some of the worst lyrics, that i've ever heard. It's almost as if Cumo is trying to parody himself. When they're not down right terrible, they're cliche ridden... totally turns me off the songs.

The only song i still currently like is Pork and Beans. But again, it's a struggle, since the lyrics are atrocious; it's only saving grace is that it manages to remain incredibly catchy.

Exhibit A

I’m the baddest of the bad
I’m the best that you’ve ever had
I’m the tops, I’m the king
All the girls get up when I sing, yeah
I’m the meanest in the place

Exhibit B

Put me in a special school,
Cuz I am such a fool,
And I don't need a single book to teach me how to read
Who needs stupid books?
They are for petty crooks,

IamSam
01-26-2009, 02:12 AM
The only song i still currently like is Pork and Beans. But again, it's a struggle, since the lyrics are atrocious; it's only saving grace is that it manages to remain incredibly catchy.

I feel the same way. So much so I haven't listened to it since about a week after it came out. However I managed to listen to it quite a bit in that week.