PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about cds vs. digital music?

Omni
04-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Am I one of the few people left who still legally buy music, on hard copy no less? Over the past year or so I've discovered I really enjoy collective music and dvds. I like the way they look on my shelf when they build up. I like for my friends to be able to see the effort I put into supporting my favorite artists and tracking down their more obscure releases. I like being able to read the lyrics sheets and look at album art. By all means, iTunes makes having music more convenient. No skipping, no car space taken up by loose cds. And I don't think a lot of people like to listen to entire albums anymore. I always thought if I liked half an album (I'm usually kind of picky), it was a success as far as I'm concerned. Downloading music makes it easier to listen to what you want to and when you like to do it. it's no doubt the way of the future, but I don't even own an MP3 player, and I doubt I'm going to stop collecting cds anytime soon. I might even start collecting records. What do you guys think? And just for fun, if you do still believe in the power of the cd, post your music collection here. I need to diversify a bit more, maybe it'll give me some ideas. The radio has sickened me lately with Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, and all their clones. And I'm tiring out my favorite artists to death. I don't collect Greatest Hits albums generally, since I already have the songs on other albums, but I do buy compilations of B-Sides and Rares/unreleased, since it's like a whole new album.

Here's mine. It's not much, but it's growing slowly:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Pearl Jam - No Code
Pearl Jam - Yield
Pearl Jam - Binaural
Pearl Jam - Riot Act
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs (collection of original material complete)
The White Stripes - The White Stripes
The White Stripes - De Stijl
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
The White Stripes - Elephant
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
The White Stripes - Icky Thump (collection of original material complete)
The Offspring - The Offspring (With Kill the President)
The Offspring - Ignition
Green Day - 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
Green Day - Dookie
Green Day - Insomniac
Audioslave - Audioslave
Audioslave - Out of Exile
Audioslave - Revelations (Collection of original material complete)
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Soul Coughing - El Oso
Soundgarden - Superunknown
The Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Collective Soul - Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid
Candlebox - Candlebox
Incubus - Make Yourself

The_Bass
04-29-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't have many CD's, but it's growing every month.

At the moment.

The Offspring - A Piece of Americana EP (Autographed)
The Offspring - Smash (1994, not that cheap reissue, hellyeah!)
The Offspring - Greatest Hits DUAL DISC.

You're right, normally it's not needed to buy greatest hits cd's, but this one has some extras :).

barangatang
04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
I've been buying cds since I was 13. I think the sound quality is much better than almost all mp3 players. I never really have considered it "collecting" though. I prefer to buy them used, and sometimes not at all, if the cost is too high. Lately, becuase my of my current European location, I haven't had the chance to buy many cds, mainly, because of the cost. 15-20 euro's=:(

Since I have over 100 it would be too time consuming to post them. Instead, these are my latest four additions that my Mom recently brought me form the motherland.

Nil Recurring- Porcupine Tree
Elliot Smith- Either/Or
The Raconteurs- Counselors of The Lonely
The Black keys- Attack and Release

All of these have been amazing so far.

Dirty Magician (Pole)
04-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Alright these are my CD's

Queen: Queen
Queen II
Sheer Heart Attack
A Night At The Opera
A Day At The races
News of the world
Jazz
Live Killers
The Game
Hot Space
The Works
A Kind of magic
Live Magic
The Miracle
Innuendo
Live at Wembley Stadium
Made In Heaven
Greatest Hits I, II & III

The Offspring ( on CD's franly this...)
Smash
Ixnay on the Hombre
Americana
Conspirancy of One

Nirvana
Nevermind
In Utero

I know that in front of The Offspring, Queen will see as... lame but I don't care :p . I have almost all their recors but now my best band is Offspring.:)

nieh
04-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Cds ARE digital music, but I get what you're saying. I buy cds a lot and only really download things when (a) I'm not sure if I'm going to like the album or (b) it's too hard to find a physical copy. I'm also actually going to be getting an mp3 player in the near future, but I'm still going to continue buying cds and will just rip them and put them on the player. My most recent binder holds like 200 cds and even though I'm selective and only put stuff in there that I actually am likely to listen to rather than putting everything I own in there even if I haven't listened to it in a while, it's still on the verge of filling up in the next month or two and I don't want to have to get another, BIGGER one which would just be absurd to carry around.

Bazza
04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I (illegally) download far too much music, I'll openly admit that. However I also do buy CDs, especially if they are from artists I really do like. I think for me downloading music is a way of discovering what I like, and then I'll eventually buy the real thing or go and see them in concert. However I don't have anywhere near enough money to buy all the CDs that I would like to listen to. I wouldn't purchase legal downloads since I would really want the physical item.
My future aim in life (when I have loadsa money, well I hope) is to buy all the albums that I have downloaded and have a huge music library in my house :p

BREAK
04-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I download not because I'm broke, but because it's easy and I'm lazy. Plus now that I got a record player, it's made me realize how much CDs fucking suuuuuuuuck. I will still buy new stuff if I see it on vinyl and I want it bad enough (and it's cheap), but everything else I'll keep listening to for free, thanks.

Jakebert
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I still prefer buying my music. Having the physical copy is pretty important to me, so I always buy the CD I it's possible. In fact, just thisp ast year I replaced the burnt R.E.M. CD's I have with the actual copies, as well as a few Mountain Goats, Sonic Youth, and Iron and Wine albums.

coke_a_holic
04-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm a ruffian.

I'm not against buying cds, but I don't do it anymore. Bands hardly make money off of cd sales and I don't really mind any quality difference. If I like a band, I'll see them live and buy a t-shirt, but downloading music is just easy, cheap, and it broadens my horizons because I'm able to see something I'm interested in and get it without any .

I mean, if one of my favorite bands releases a cd, I might buy it from them at a show or something, but I don't really go out and buy music anymore, it's just not worth it to me when I get the same stuff for free over the internet. And I know, I know, people like collecting cds and looking at the album art, and all of that, but I really just... don't care about all of that. It's about the music, which may seem hypocritical or whatever, but keep in mind that my all-time favorite band releases all of their albums for free over the internet. I'd like to see more of that.

Aight Then
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah. Downloading has too many advantages for me to bother buying them. All you have to do is search on Google, and someone almost always has it up. If I want to hear something right away, I don't want to drive to a store and pay 15 bucks, for something I might not even like. And while some people download to see if they like it, then buy it, I could never do it. I'm like "it's already right here, why bother getting it again"? Ripping CD's also takes a while.

I may make exceptions for albums that were culturally significant or having a ridiculously good cover art.

ad8
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Sometimes, I find myself downloading music I'd normally NEVER listen/buy on CD just because I am curious why people like that music. So in this case, there is no actual loss for the music industry. When I was younger, I had almost no CDs although there were no downloads at that time. If I really like a band, I try to support it by buying their CDs. So I kinda try to have a little influence on the success of good bands. My CDs:

The Offspring:
S/T
Ignition
Greatest Hits
(Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is coming on June, 16th, for sure!)

Die Ärzte(german band):
Jazz ist Anders
Wir wollen nur deine Seele

Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas O.S.T.

Omni
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I've been buying cds since I was 13. I think the sound quality is much better than almost all mp3 players. I never really have considered it "collecting" though. I prefer to buy them used, and sometimes not at all, if the cost is too high. Lately, becuase my of my current European location, I haven't had the chance to buy many cds, mainly, because of the cost. 15-20 euro's=:(

Ah, see, I absolutely refuse to buy used music unless it looks like I have to (like with the Offspring and Pearl Jam's less popular albums). I like keeping my music in good condition. I'm pretty anal about these sort of things.

EDIT: And btw, it's June 17.

ruroken
04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Incubus - Make Yourself
I has those. Also Down on the Upside. Also almost everything else Incubus has released commercially on teh cd.
For The Smashing Pumpkins, I bought Adore, Machina/The Machines of God, and Siamese Dream. I bought Siamese Dream after my burned copy skipped on "Soma".

I have bought a lot of other cds, but none recently. I think my last cd purchase was Adore & Machina (I got them at the same time). The last cd I received, however, was Mindless Self Indulgence's "Despierta Los Ninos" <3
BEST and OUT OF PRINT??? Tour-only, nonetheless.

jacknife737
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
about 90% of my music comes from cd's that I've purchased. I only really download to either sample new stuff or get rare/live stuff that is either impossible or too expensive to get IRL. Its like i NEED to have the physical product, with downloading it just seems as if something is missing.

I also have no problems with supporting record labels, since the vast majority of the stuff i listen to is on independents, and if it wasn't for their promotion i wouldn't have gotten into so many amazing bands.

Omni
04-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I has those. Also Down on the Upside. Also almost everything else Incubus has released commercially on teh cd.
For The Smashing Pumpkins, I bought Adore, Machina/The Machines of God, and Siamese Dream. I bought Siamese Dream after my burned copy skipped on "Soma".

I have bought a lot of other cds, but none recently. I think my last cd purchase was Adore & Machina (I got them at the same time). The last cd I received, however, was Mindless Self Indulgence's "Despierta Los Ninos" <3
BEST and OUT OF PRINT??? Tour-only, nonetheless.

Yeah, I remember you're a huge huge Incubus fan, yet everyone else hates them. I think they're alright, though. I'll probably eventually get around to collecting their entire discography. I'm working on the Stone Temple Pilots right now. All I can find is used copies of their last three albums, and I don't want them used.

IamSam
04-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I only buy the actual CDs of bands I care about. Everything else I either ask you guys here, my friends around me, or else I buy it off iTunes as a last resort.

Offspring-Junkie
04-30-2008, 01:41 AM
I mostly listen to music on youtube. I still collect CDs and listen to them. I only downloaded the Offspring Collection to have rare songs and the first album, the only one I never had. My albums:
Offspring:
ignition, ixnay, smash, americana, Co1, splinter
Millencolin:
penibridge pioneers, home from home
dropkick murphys:
blackout, singles-b-sides collection vol.2
AC/DC:
Back in Black, Live album: If you want blood
social distortion: mummy's little monster
ärzte: runter mit den spendierhosen, unsichtbarer
green day: international superhits
guano apes: proud like a god
rock against bush (the one WITHOUT OFFSPRING)
rage against the machine: Battle of los angeles
pennywise: land of the free
soundtracks: Beverly hills cop, end of days, smokin' aces, snatch, blade

Llamas
04-30-2008, 01:50 AM
I own somewhere around 350 CDs. I threw out around 20 last year because I never listened to them anymore, but I kind of regret it because I like my collection.

I still buy CDs, but not nearly as much as I used to. Part of it is because lately I've been into music that I can't buy in my country. The other part is because I don't really spend money anymore these days... I buy food and gas... occasionally go out with friends... but I don't really buy stuff. I download a lot, but it's really just because I don't want more stuff, and I can't justify paying for an .mp3.

Some recent additions to my collection (like in the last 6 months):

Flogging Molly - Float
Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself
Shawn Mullins - Honeydew
Kristin Lagasse - For those who still believe in Unicorns
Nightwish - Once
Raul Midon - A World within a World
Jay Z - American Gangster
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between
Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead
Barenaked Ladies - Are Me(n)
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
Vanessa Carlton - Heroes and Thieves
Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion
Static X - Cannibal
Dispatch - All Points Bulletin
Hanson - The Walk
Collective Soul - Afterwords
Daft Punk - Musique

ruroken
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I remember you're a huge huge Incubus fan, yet everyone else hates them. I think they're alright, though. I'll probably eventually get around to collecting their entire discography. I'm working on the Stone Temple Pilots right now. All I can find is used copies of their last three albums, and I don't want them used.
I'm not as big as I used to be. I just bought "Light Grenades" because I love "A Crow Left of the Murder" (fuck Rick) and I already knew it would have a similar sound because of...uuh...Ben? I forget the current bassist's name. "Morning View" is my favorite, though. I love every song on it.

The radio edit of "Megalomaniac" is better than the album version because it doesn't have that weird shit for 30 seconds. It's really annoying.

But... uh... you would buy the entire discography of a band you only find "alright"? ;p

edit to be relevant to thread;
I also have...
everything by The Offspring except s/t, Co1, and greatest hits.
everything by Green Day except Warning, Nimrod., and Insomniac.
I bought Modest Mouse's "The Lonesome Crowded West" and "Good News For People Who Love Bad News"
MSI; You'll Rebel To Anything and FGWSSS
I bought Kanye West's "The College Dropout" ...
LP's Hybrid Theory and Meteora
Matchbox Twenty: More Than You Think You Are <3
Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel, A Broken Frame, Violator, Black Celebration
Nirvana: Nevermind, In Utero

Omni
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes, I would. When I first heard the Offspring, I thought they were just "alright." Then they became my favorite band. Anyone who I think I have potential to like, I'll give them the chance to grow on me.