PDA

View Full Version : So what have you been listening to for the last 5 years..........????

Swill
05-01-2008, 04:36 AM
I dont think that some people get the fact that for the majority of us, the last 5 years 'offspring-less' has been pretty difficult....so any sniff of the new album gets us all rather excited......even the most trivial piece of info

So i wonder what everyone has been listening to since splinter and december 2003. Whats filled that offspring void....

For me....lots of Tool, NIN, ISIS, Cave In, A.F.I, Thrice, Pumpkins.....ive really gotten into these bands.....however id forget about them all in the morning if the offspring made me....the spring are my bread and butter...

What about the rest of ye??????
________
Asian recipes (http://www.cooking-chef.com/asian/)

Dragnet
05-01-2008, 04:39 AM
FuManchu, Bad Religion, Pennywise, Elliott Smith and some other stuff.
But the Offspring less time will be over soon so I prepare to throw all my other records away in june.

darea
05-01-2008, 05:04 AM
These last few years, as far as rock goes, I've been listening to Serj Tankian, a bit of Green Day, A Wilhelm Scream, NOFX...

But not really been listening to any new stuff, mostly old stuff. After Americana, I kinda stopped listening to the offspring, and went more towards Independant rap such as Non Phixion, Afu-ra, necro... and then on to older stuff like Bob Dylan, Dire straits, Billy Idol... and old offspring albums of course.

Its in 2006 that I started listening to the offspring again (and to conspiracy of one, that Id had when it came out but never listened to it, and splinter that I finally bought (in 2006).

So not been listening to much really. Lately its been First in Flight and Offspring....

BREAK
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Cave In

That made me happy.

The past five years have seen too much stuff come and go. You'll have to narrow it to like, the past five weeks.

JeromeFleur
05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
hmm i think my big discovery was the Cat Empire... awesome band, both live and in studio

TheOldMark
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Ive definately listened to alot less Offspring the last few years. I got more into some more softer rock punk stuff like The Used, Alkaline Treo, Punchline, Manchester Orchestra, Fall Out Boy, and more mellow stuff like Bob Marley and Sublime.

This weekend, I'm going to see Snoop Dogg, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, MXPX, Family Force 5, Panic at the Disco, Coheed, Gym Class Heros, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Alien Ant Farm, Four Year Strong, and the Bouncing Souls. I've also got tix this summer for Pennywise and 311.

IamSam
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
What I've been listening to?

Reel Big Fish, 1208, Breaking Benjamin, The Vandals, and some odds and ends.

ad8
05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Well besides Offspring there are System Of A Down, Bomb The Music Industry!, Die Ärzte, Sum 41, The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers and some techno/dance stuff.

RGR22
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Oh you know, the usual stuff,

tool, iron maiden, TSOL, the clash, journey (some stuff), ellot smith too, i think someone else mentioned him, unearth... a little bit of everything

but as soon as RFRG comes out... thats the only thing Ill be listening for the next 5 years!

coke_a_holic
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Shit, seriously? Five years ago is when I actually started listening to music. I mean, literally, five years ago, I decided to turn the radio on more and listen to more music.

As BREAK said, make it the past 5 weeks and I might have a more... readable list.

Unnatural Disaster
05-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Chevelle, Tool, Finger Eleven, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu...

Andy
05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, five years is a very long time in musical terms, but I'll try and give you a list in some kind of chronological order.

Offspring, Green Day, The Vandals, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Queens of the Stone Age*, Muse*, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Dropkick Murphys, Alkaline Trio*, McLusky*, Death on Wednesday, Bullets n Octane*, The Mars Volta, The Living End*, Oceansize...

Those bands marked with a * have all been listened to in a last 30 days or so.

Endymion
05-03-2008, 10:56 AM
avril, avril, avril!

Aight Then
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm fourteen now, so five years ago I was nine years old. My musical history isn't very complicated, so I'm going to start from the beginning.

When I was around nine years old, my brother gave me a copy of Ixnay on the Hombre. I loved it, so I asked him for all of the albums he had by the Offspring. He gave me Smash, Americana, Conspiracy of One and Splinter, which I loved them all. I was infatued with the simple yet satisfying guitar parts and the way Dexter when "woahhhhhh". I just thought his voice sounded so cool. Because that was the only thing I listed to, I still have all of their songs and lyrics memorized. It wasn't until a couple of years later I did some research online, and finally picked up self-titled and Ignition. I don't really like self-titled, but I love Ignition.

Green Day came out with American Idiot when I was around eleven or so, and I got that for my birthday. I absolutely loved it. I was compelled by the emotional feelings the songs gave me, and the way they reminded me of other times. Especially on songs like "Letterbomb" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends". Of course, I then proceeded to get all of their other albums released before. I got Dookie, Insomniac, Warning, Nimrod and Shenanigans. Once again, I loved them all. They seemed like a perfect counterpart to my Offspring catalog; while The Offspring were "hard" and seemed to deal with issues with other people, Green Day were a little more softer and seemed to deal with issue about yourself and your feelings. This is why I listened to both deeply.

A little while later, my best friend was a major fan of Death Cab for Cutie. So, I picked up Plans, which I loved, and shortly after, Transatlantacism. I liked that too, but for some reason, I never went back to pick up their earlier albums. I was just never interested. The band never seemed to hit me as hard as The Offspring or Green Day did. I guess it was because a majority of their songs on Transatlantacism were boring to me, and I couldn't really relate to many of the songs, because I never had a girlfriend, or had incredibly deep feelings for one. I'm still not interested in picking up their earlier albums. I don't like them that much.

When I was around twelve, my brother showed me this song he though was funny; NWA's "Fuck Tha Police". He hated rap, but he just liked this song for the novelty. I liked it, though, so I decided to buy the album off of the iTunes store. I was absolutely crazy for it, because the songs were just so fun and the different rappers made it really cool, I thought. I didn't really understand a lot of what they were saying, but I just thought the way they put their words together was very compelling, at the least more compelling than The Offspring or Green Day.

I was intrigued by this, because it was the only rap album I had, so I looked up rap on the internet. Everyone was talking about Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem and all that. So, I picked up Illmatic by Nas. While Straight Outta Compton showed me the musical, fun side of rap, Illmatic showed me the sophisticated side of rap. I was just blown away by how Nas put his words together. I then got most of Nas's albums, which I liked, especially Stillmatic, but I never got into them as much as Illmatic or Stillmatic.

After that, I started looking for Jay-Z. I picked up The Blueprint, which I liked, but I didn't think Jay-Z was as good as Nas. At the time, I didn't understand how great Jay-Z was, or how amazing his flow was, so I was quick to dismiss him. I also picked up Eminem's The Slim Shady LP, which I was obsessed with. I could relate to him so well, through being bullied in school and having a lot of problems. He seemed to say exactly what I wanted to say. I couldn't believe he was a real person; he seemed more like a magical figure who was created by the thoughts of my mind. I then got The Marshall Mathers LP, which I found to be even more amazing. I got The Eminem Show, which I once again loved. Eminem kept saying my thoughts and feelings, and I was so connected with his albums I listened to them constantly and memorized all of the lyrics in no time at all. I picked up Encore a little later, but I instantly disliked it because it was just so bad.

After that, I went off the recommendations of my friends. I got System of a Down's Toxicity, which I found to be amazing, I got Streetlight Manifesto's Everything Goes Numb, which was suggested by my friend in class who thought that "The Big Sleep" was one of the best songs ever. I loved the album, and I thought it was incredible. Currently, I look up new artists, mostly rock and rap, on the internet and from recommendations from my friends, constantly. I was never infused with bands as much as The Offspring, Green Day, NWA, Nas or Eminem, but I still love them. Recently, I have gotten into Nirvana, The Postal Service, Freeze Pop, Kanye West, The Notorious B.I.G, Metallica, and others.

Wow, that was a long post. I'm working on a speech right now, but I'm heavily procrastinating, it seems.

Alex101
05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
The Offspring (of course), Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, Face to Face, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Living Colour, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fishbone, Big Drill Car, Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) and Rise Against.

slade
05-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Thrice, Story Of The Year, Three Days Grace, Paramore, Expatriate, Dashboard Confessional, Cold Chisel, Lost Prophets, Brand New, Flyleaf and many more.

I've been listening to a lot more of Offspring in the last few years than i ever did.

Ninty Man
05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
MMM... let's see... Bad religion, Van Halen, Pennywise, The vandals, Ramones, The clash, misfits, AC/DC...

.:SMASH:.
05-04-2008, 01:55 AM
My music taste changed dramatically waiting for another Offspring album.

Here's what I've been listening to:
Alexisonfire
Fightstar
Parkway Drive
Avenged Sevenfold
Three Days Grace
Rise Against
The Matches
Anberlin
Sum 41

Those are the main ones, but now I think of it, before I was listening to Splinter, I only listened to Offspring, Blink, Green Day, Sum 41 and other punk bands like them. And don't even bother posting "that's not true punk". I'm not interested.

Rag Doll
05-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Five years is a ridiculously long period of time. I couldn't even begin to list what I've listened to in that time period. But here's what I've been into lately...

The Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo, Death Cab For Cutie, Muse, SayAnything, Q And Not U, Minus the Bear, Dashboard Confessional, Secondhand Serenade, the Kooks, the Fratellis, the Get Up Kids, Biffy Clyro, the Annuals, the Boy Least Likely To, Voxtrot, Goldfrapp, I'm From Barcelona, Louis XIV, the Honorary Title, Bloc Party....

yeah. and a bunch of other stuff.

Kaerren
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
In the last five years I have listened to a lot of different artists, some include The Campaign For Real Time (http://www.myspace.com/thecampaignforrealtime), Odd Thomas (http://www.myspace.com/oddthomas), Vienna Teng (http://www.myspace.com/viennateng), Project (http://www.myspace.com/whatisproject), Pendulum (http://www.myspace.com/officialpendulum), Damnas (http://www.myspace.com/damnasonline), Man Cabbage (http://www.myspace.com/mancabbage), Jack Grisham and the West Coast Dukes (http://www.myspace.com/jackgrishamandthewestcoastdukes) and Hans Zimmer (http://www.myspace.com/hanszimmerx).

All of the links are to Myspace pages with their music. It's just for if you are bored and wanted to check out who these artists are. :)

maplejet
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Nine Inch Nails (BTW, fans should head to their website right now to check out their new album The Slip)
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
Megadeth
Foo Fighters
Incubus
Tool
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Avenged Sevenfold
Killswitch Engage
Sublime
Rage Against the Machine
System of a Down
KoRn

Just some of the bands...of course I still listen to old faves like Green Day, Linkin Park, Queen, The Beatles, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc...

Yatesy
05-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Pendulum (http://www.myspace.com/officialpendulum),

Excellent band. Anyway I think I've changed my taste quite a bit in the past 5 years, probably due to the fact that's when I started listening to music properly then. I guess I should just post a list of what I like the most after that period of time..

Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Incubus, Machine Head, Rush, Nine Inch Nails, Meshuggah, Anathema, Opeth, Daft Punk, Machine Head, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Beck, QOTSA, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Biffy Clyro, The Black Mages, Cave In, Deftones, Faith No More, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Genghis Tron, Head Automatica, Isis, Kanye West, Madonna, Massive Attack, Mastodon, Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Minus The Bear, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Chris Cornell Muse, Mute Math, Placebo, The Prodigy, R.E.M., Saul Williams, Silverchair....

Sorry if I went on a bit.

Cock Joke
05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Offspring, Green Day, Linkin Park, Offspring, Social Distortion, Offspring, Foo Fighters, Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, Supernova, Sum 41, Beastie Boys, Rolling Stones, Niravana, Offspring, Metallica, and Offspring!

daskip
05-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Lately dominated by Shihad and Queens of the Stone Age.

Shihad are one of those bands I just wonder why they ain't huge globally...:confused: , but happy I know of em :)

A smattering of The Living End and Powderfinger, with AC/DC, green day and fooies (older albums of these 3) also getting listening .

Looking forward to getting back to my offspring roots tho :)

Stoned Mosquito
05-06-2008, 04:08 AM
In the last few years Queens of the Stone Age have pretty much taken over as my favorite band...

Danko Jones ranks pretty high up there too.

Sunny
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
sweet christ... that's a long time.

uhhh... bright eyes, gogol bordello, babyshambles, flogging molly, street dogs, interpol, her space holiday, and one, combichrist, smashing pumpkins, depeche mode, tom waits, the smiths, the streets, so solid crew, new order, girl talk, the raconteurs, the living end... oh fuck me, there are too many to name.

SkunkIt
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I've been listening to the same genres along with some new ones. Still in love with Ska, went to see The Slackers three nights ago. Best show I ever went to. My favorite american Ska band. For the most part, i listen to 77 and Oi! Jazz, Swing, Rockabilly, two-tone, dub, rocksteady, third wave, traditional ska, etc. Been to at tons of concerts this week, performed at two of those. AWESOME!

clocks_R_slow
05-08-2008, 06:55 AM
The Offspring, Tool, A perfect Circle, Against Me, AFI, The Living End, lots of others.

OffspringHead
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
The Offspring, Bad Religion, Reel Big Fish, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Rage Against The Machine.

cool 2 hate 681
05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
The Offspring Bad Religion AFI and A Wilhelm Scream

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Rocket from the Crypt.

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Ricky Martin

Livin la vida loca
:D