PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowding and the Humane Society

fuckin sweet
01-06-2005, 09:40 PM
People who don't want their pets or just found an animal, take their pets to the "Humane Society". Unfortunately, when there isn't enough room, the "Humane Society" puts the animal to "sleep" because, the animal is either too old or no one has adopted it yet. Maybe they should make the place bigger and ask for more money. It doesn't seem so humane to me catching animals, putting them in small kennels and then, if they're there too long putting them to "sleep".

wheelchairman
01-07-2005, 07:00 AM
I would actually have to agree with Tripboy on this. I don't really care much about excess animals.

the original pyro
01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
they do ask for more money, all the time. The only problem is that pets multiply, and unwanted animals are a product of humans. They should either be adopted or put HUMANELY to sleep, because they are a problem that was started and is therefor a responsibility of humans. To efficiently house and feed every stray without killing them would cost billions. I would be more concerned with species that are closer to extinction than to those that are of overpopulation.

And what do they do with the dead animals? they should atleast be recycled somehow.

Offspring_maniac
01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree wit u sweet something has to be done. There is nothhing humane about the way that they put animals to sleep. However making the facility bigger will just increase taxes an would not do anything because probably the same amount of people would adopt the pets. Therefore we would have these animals living in misery rather then asleep i do not know I think for a while they need to put a cap on dog an cat breeding. Until we do get rid of some of the access animals we have! But I do not think making it bigger will do very much. But yes something drastic has to be done!

Marion
01-26-2005, 04:21 AM
There is nothing humane about putting animals to sleep if they have noone to take them. Responsible pet owners should have there pets spayed to stop breading if they don't want them to breed. However putting them to sleep if they are ill and dying is humane. How do you feel about leeting people dye if they are terminaly ill though? I think if we can let animals dye with dignity why not our loved ones?

wheelchairman
01-26-2005, 05:53 AM
I'm against doctor assisted suicide for the reason that it's the doctor's place in society to heal, not to kill, and we risk a slippery slople when it comes to a point where death is the alternative.

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2005, 09:43 AM
It's been said earlier, they do ask for money all the time. It's just that not many people give it to them.

There ARE such things as no-kill shelters. This of course puts a strain on such shelters as they get overcrowded faster than the Humane Society, so I recommend that if you feel strongly against the idea of euthanizing animals if homes cannot be found for them, support your local no-kill shelter(s) by getting pets from them, or donating your money and/or time.

And what do they do with the dead animals? they should atleast be recycled somehow.

YES. Recycled pets could be the hot new craze of the future. You could have a dog that's four different breeds without the mess of breeding and waiting several generations!

Vera
01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
If the pet is fine and healthy, it could be sold to a petstore. At least that's what we did to my bunny when I was found to be allergic to fur.

My bunny got a new owner within the next 3 weeks.

SicN Twisted
01-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd vote for hunting stray dogs for sport on the urban streets.

the_GoDdEsS
01-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I was once correcting the stylistics for the local government concerning the law of keeping house pets and stray animals and shit. Some parts did seem a little inhumane to me because I don't have a heart to kill living creatures that big (except I used to torture insects when I was little but that's a different story). For practical reasons however, I do have to agree with most of them being put down.