PDA

View Full Version : Raise your voices!

Satanic_Surfer
10-24-2004, 03:46 PM
When i talk to people about The Offspring, when i pass by the chat or when i read people's favourite Offy songs there is a thought that hits me...
where did all the good old songs go?
Okay, we've still got the records and if we dont, we can simply download them, but it feels like there is something missing...
When talking about favourite Offspring songs, some common names are Cool To Hate, Kill The President, D.U.I (yes, even though it's a b-side), Beheaded, Black Ball, L.A.P.D, Get It Right and the list can get longer, we all know it!
We love these good old classics, right?
Some people have found a track called Hopeless, from the earliest days when The Offspring still were Manic Subsidal, the song is only available on mp3 but people still love it!
I just wonder... even though these songs still are so popular... how often do we hear them when we go see The Offspring on their tour? NOT OFTEN!
Yes, we have heard Dirty Magic in an accoustic verision during the Conspiracy Of One tour, but is that enough?
I say: MORE CLASSIC SHIT, BLOW US ALL TO HELL!!!!
Anyone with me?!

Andrew14
10-24-2004, 03:53 PM
hell yeah man i mean hit that and the rest of the songs have took all the good songs away when i went to one of the offspring concerts they didnt even play beheaded to the hell with that song hit that.

ACAB
10-24-2004, 04:00 PM
hm its really too bad the hit songs run over old classic ones..where they really started from.its such a shame to leave great old songs behind,that were the reason people liked them in the first place sure they try to play quite equally on shows,some new and old stuff,bit of something for everyone but still its mostly new songs from latest years...not saying they were bad (even i dont care for them that much) but what happened to songs from for example self titled? :( when was last time they played any?

Satanic_Surfer
10-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Exactly!!!
I think that mosh pit that opened up infront of the stage during Da Hui, certainly would last longer than for one song if they played Beheaded or something there.
That would be a blast!
After all... the old stuff is what made Offspring what they are today, dont forget the roots, man!
If they go for No Hero instead of Pretty Fly and Beheaded instead of Hit That during next tour, that will be enough to at least blow my mind away!

ACAB
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
haha i know exactly what you mean there!!! :D ...wouldn't it be awesome,if they sometime did a tour only playing old songs...that'd make up it a bit after forgetting them like that!!!! :p but yea..not that i mind new stuff neither

code_blue
10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
yes, that would be awesome.. but they have to appeal to the masses, not the 'big fans' like us who know every song.. :| we can always dream, though.

You_Feel_Like_A_Lie
10-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Hum, the thought of having an Offspring concert with JUST old Offy songs? DAMN that'd be like the highlight of my life right there! Or at least some songs off the older records, and ones that weren't singles from like Smash, Americana, and Ixnay; you know just for the die hard fans. Offspring, not to put them down or anything, they've also been around for almost 20 years, and only seem play the stuff that's played on the radio, and that's well known ("Pretty Fly", "Come Out and Play", "Kids" etc.); not that I don't love it! Yet in contrast Bad Religion who've been going strong for 23 years still stay true to their roots and play stuff from their first (out of ten or more) albums! I so agree with y'all, go old Offspring! I just wish some band member would read this and react to it!

Satanic_Surfer
10-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Indeed! Bad Religion really put on a great show, i mean 13 fucking albums.... might be more tho but so ive heard it to be.
And Bad Religion still make every single fan real happy when the show is over cuz everyone liked it!
I think The Offspring doesnt necessary have to fill the needs of the "newbies" and none of the others, i think a more mixed up tour would do great!
It was my point actually... to hope that some band member would get to hear our opinions through this in one way or another and it can only be done if we voice our opinions about it!
To compare Offy on Bad Religion once again... there are at least 2 cd's on sale where other bands (such as Puffball, Adhesive, Falling To Pieces, Troublemakers and Pridebowl) play covers of Bad Religion, i got over one of those cd's in a store once, it's called Fuck Hell, "This Is A Tribute To Bad Religion!" and everything from the artwork to the recordings with great sound quality and lots of soul put into the music by the bands, everything is damn good.
Why aint there anything alike with The Offspring?!
I mean... skip all ideas of a "best of..." album, absolutely nothing like that, please! But some good covers WANTED! By the way... does anybody know any Offspring covers that are available on mp3's on the net somewhere?
If anyone's in a band, i suggest you to cover something of Offspring to honor their earlier stuff and put it up on internet, too!

ACAB
10-24-2004, 05:21 PM
it was really good point comapring offspring to bad religion when it comes to shows...would be great if offspring could learn a little lesson from them ;)
and indeed,that cover album was good all the way from first track to last...offspring have been around for long and they got some at least as good music from their past...only offspring cover i've heard this far was Smash turned into metal version...ok cool,but thinking of it again it's kinda depressive

NoHopeNoFuture
10-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Well if we were to ever see the classical songs it would be in their last tour ever. And me and my band were gonna cover session but the band broke up after a couple of shows. so there was never any time to get our name out there and actually do a good cover.

Heat
10-25-2004, 05:27 AM
yeah... i would be happy if they play more from the old songs...

and the offspring should play longer than an hour like other bands (who are also so old) do.... i mean... if they play 2 hours they could play so many old cool songs

i dont understand why they play always only an hour and a few minutes

Satanic_Surfer
10-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Offy have played shows for like 40 minutes too and that's quite low i'd say.
It is too bad that they dont play that stuff, it must depend on something... maybe their Sony owned record label doesnt allow them to play music with that "heavy messages" or something, who knows?!
If that WOULD be the case... it's a sell-out... but i've been for long had that in mind anyway so no real news it would certainly not be.

psimate
10-25-2004, 05:59 AM
old songs rule!!!!!
YEAH!!!!
i wanna hear too!!!!
:cool:

Dragnet
10-25-2004, 06:00 AM
I absolutely agree they should play more old stuff.
If they had played Nitro (they used to play it alot) at the show that I attended this year I would have gone crazy
Another thing which would be cool would be if they started to play songs they never did live (I think). For example Not the one, Change The World etc. :rolleyes:

Lithuanian Offspring
10-25-2004, 06:06 AM
You guys gotta understand that Offspring is only this popular because of their pop based songs. And believe me when I say that I think At least two thirds of use wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Pretty Fly For a White Guy. And Hit THat and songs of this type get the Punk scene closer to what it was in the 70's. I think we should be fuckin' greatful for the Offspring's attempts at makin the punk scene more popular.

Dragnet
10-25-2004, 06:15 AM
I believe there are enough fans who hope for more older songs to do them a little favour. The others still get enough of the Offspring's poppier songs I think.
Whats wrong with making the concerts 15 minutes longer, kick out one of their support bands ( ;) ) and play some more old, maybe mainly by hardcore fans appreciated songs. I don't think they would die of exhaustion if their set was 75 mins long.

ACAB
10-25-2004, 06:18 AM
well yea you know how those major labels are and often what kind of bands they mostly have...very much commerical nothing saying "music" (just my humble opinion)
what you think would have happened if they never left epitaph? would they still have tried to appeal new groub of fans like now,forgetting great things they did in past? tho in my opinion even epitaph aint as good as used to be :( ..so it's hard to say really

Level
10-25-2004, 08:39 AM
It would be cool if they would put some older songs in to the tour, yeah. ;)

Subsidal
10-25-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't care if they play more old or more new songs. I love the new just like the old, I don't make any differences there. It's all by The Offspring & that's all I wanna hear

RonWelty
10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
yes kick support bands :X or bring good support bands like in co1 tour : AFI :)

Subsidal
10-25-2004, 09:49 AM
No no no. I don't want AFI again! I still hear that guy yelling 'A-F-I A-F-I A-F-I' that really sucks *shakes head* :D

I wanna see Horrorpops with Offspring again!

RonWelty
10-25-2004, 10:00 AM
u got bad taste !

Satanic_Surfer
10-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Horrorpops were good in a way =P (well i didnt think of the music there, hehe) but in any case, you usually dont go to shows to see the prebands.
But i think Offspring already do put on a good mixture of bands as prebands... when i've seen Offspring, their prebands have been (ive seen em 2 times) Bombshell Rocks and 59 Times The Pain and second time The Change and Horrorpops.
If Offspring picked the prebands by themselves, it would at least mean they still like the more Hardcore stuff.
But why they dont like their OWN harder stuff, is something i've been wondering for quite a while, i once saw Dexter on TV saying "cmon, everybody loves ABBA, right?" and that sort of even prooves to me that they arent what they used to be.
I know there's lots of people who think Offspring has become a band wich once upon a time played songs from then and nowadays it's like they're a completely different band, playing different songs and sometims even different kind of music.
Of course Offspring is like a bridge for people to walk to get into the Punk scene and first time they hear The Offspring, is through songs like Pretty Fly and Original Prankster... but it doesnt HAVE to mean that they should forget everything they've ever done before, right?

Subsidal
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
u got bad taste !

No no, you're just confused ;)

RonWelty
10-25-2004, 12:32 PM
If Offspring picked the prebands by themselves, it would at least mean they still like the more Hardcore stuff

they not choose the pre-bands .... :X at least in lisbon .

Strider
10-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Dude...I cannot really point out some good old song...i mean, I only started listening to Offy when I was 12 yrs old. The album SMASH is as far as i can remember. I have viewed the lyrics of the songs from THE OFFSPRING and IGNITION but never heard te songs. But, alright. My favorite classic hit is...hmm...Genocide.