PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead

chrisdb60
05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Id like to say a few things about the new song...

firstly, ITS AMAZING!! does everyone agree that this is far and away the best first single since the smash/ixnay days??

Its great how the first and second half of the song are completely different too.. i like the second half best, f**kin rawks!!

if the album is all at this kind of standard we are in for one INCREDIBLE new album!

also, the offspring are so fucking cool when it comes to giving away their music for free.. good on 'em.

but wont it effect the single's chart performance, seeing as how no one has to buy it? or do they factor in free-downloads?

who knows.

anyway, hope the new album is as good as (or as close as possible) ixnay and that it sells millions and millions! good luck lads.

drex878
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30052

Probably better to continue your discussion in that thread.

wazzup22
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I completely agree with everything you say, although, as for single sales, I don't think it will impact them too much as almost everyone is available to download it from Torrents and Limewire anyway.

There are those people who will download no matter what and those who will download it and/or buy the single for the band support.

But, what releasing Hammerhead for free does is expose more people to the single and (hopefully) boost album sales.

That's my take on it anyway.

TheOldMark
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I got to listen to it on my car stereo today, and on my iPod, on my way to work. Appreciated it so much more than listening to it on my laptop. the way my car shook with the bass and the drums, ive never felt music in my car like that. my side views were vibrating. i didnt really fuck with the bass tremble or volume, so i was really blown away. i put on my noise canceling headphones and walked around manhattan on my lunch break, omg i was in heaven.

MOTO13
05-07-2008, 07:16 AM
OK...HONESTLY now, I have listened to this song several times, both live and on the radio now and come to the conclusion that it is not very good as a single. No decent hook and the guitar parts are definitely mediocore at best. Lyrically it's a decent song but it just does nothing to make it anything more than filler music of an average album. If any other band besides the Offspring put this out, it probably would not even make it to the radio let alone a recording studio. I am very disappointed with their first choice as a single. Hopefully this first single is not representative of the rest of the album. Don't flame me here, just be honest. Do you actually like this song?

Camilamazed
05-07-2008, 07:17 AM
There are some other threads about it. You could check out to see other people's opinion and share yours.

=)

dff_punk
05-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Well I thought it would be average at first... but when I heard the chorus, it blown me away. So classic, so simple, yet so powerful. That makes it a great song imho. But everything depends on one´s music taste.

HeadAroundU
05-07-2008, 07:25 AM
It looks like you've had huge expectations. Really huge. I think it hammers in your head. :d

Jack-UK
05-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Live Versions: I preffered Half-Truism.

When the single came out Hammerhead blew me away, astounding single.

HeadAroundU
05-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Maybe it's just me, but do The Offspring really have anything to contribute any longer to modern music? Their songs on the last 2 albums have been disappointing at best and they have rested on the laurals of Smash for 13+ years now. I have a feeling we have seen the best they have to offer, which is still better than 90% of the other bands out there. It just seems that their music in the last 3 albums actually is getting lamer and far less egdey. I mean, "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Hit That" are absolutely horrible songs and borderline on just being stupid. They are a far cry from the Smash and earlier days.
Lol@U!

Either you are not The Offspring fan anymore or you don't know what you want.

MOTO13
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
It's an Offspring song so I will always like it to some degree. Hard for me to say, but it seems like any other song they have done. Nothing special. After 5 years, I kind of assumed they had something up their sleeve that would blow me away. This song definitely does not. FWIW, I am a huge Offspring fan. Let me put it this way, if the the past album (Splinter) and this song were all I heard of the band, I would not be an Offspring fan.

dff_punk
05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Well it is quite hard for the band to write something new, when everyone expects a new Self Esteem or TKAA... Be more open-minded! :p

ThunderPX
05-07-2008, 07:56 AM
From promotion and reactions from radio DJs so far, it seems like the band put out Hammerhead first precisely because it sounded like an old Offspring song. They wanted to be sure everybody knew they could still make a Smash-like song. Then, once they have that status, they can move on to releasing more diverse singles.

gabrielpatriarca
05-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Lol@U!

Either you are not The Offspring fan anymore or you don't know what you want.

Hey! Did you notice that the message you answered to was removed?
I'm new here so I wanna know: Is there some kind of manager who erases anything that says too negative stuff about the offspring? hehe! or did the guy remove it himself... I'm curious now.

megadeth
05-07-2008, 08:07 AM
hey lets make another Hammerhead topic

HeadAroundU
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Nothing was removed. It's his post from the last year. You can find things like that in user's profile.

It would be great if moderator merged HH threads.
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32173

T-6005
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Sorry, kid, but "resting on the laurels of Smash?"

The scope of influence of Americana far outweighed that of Smash - it's foolish to pretend otherwise. If you were to pick an album for them to be "resting on," that would be the one.

In any case, I personally thought Conspiracy of One was their best album aside from Ixnay. The only albums of theirs I didn't enjoy were the self-titled and Splinter, because they sucked - but that's neither here nor there.

Resting on Smash? Seriously, are you forgetting how popular Americana was?

EDIT - Damn you, HAU. Now I'm off topic.

Arginine
05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
It's a way better song than most of the crap on the radio today.

However, compared with old Offspring songs, it doesn't even come close. Honestly, it beats Splinter (that CD was just dreadful, sorry), but I think comparing it to any other album's songs (even Americana, which many people don't really like), it falls short. The lyrics feel forced, and don't flow as well as they used to. The problem with The Offspring is that their musical ability has only improved over the years, but they seem to have lost their lyrical muse.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the album though, sometimes the singles aren't as good as the rest of the tunes. I definitely remain hopeful. :)

T-6005
05-07-2008, 08:46 AM
So who else was hoping it would be a song about the type of shark?

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I think it's weird that everyone is talking about the new NIN album being available for free, and that Coldplay made their first single available for free downloads, but no one is talking about "Hammerhead" being up for free. WTF?

zsk
05-07-2008, 09:08 AM
It's an Offspring song so I will always like it to some degree. Hard for me to say, but it seems like any other song they have done. Nothing special. After 5 years, I kind of assumed they had something up their sleeve that would blow me away. This song definitely does not. FWIW, I am a huge Offspring fan. Let me put it this way, if the the past album (Splinter) and this song were all I heard of the band, I would not be an Offspring fan.

very much people say,the offspring makes ever the same music.
I think this is pretty good,because i don't want a band that change the kind of music at every album...
the offspring had begun as punk band and now they still play punk
green day first played punk-rock but then they did a "soft" album and now the kind of music wich green day has is alternativ.

MOTO13
05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
It's a way better song than most of the crap on the radio today.

However, compared with old Offspring songs, it doesn't even come close. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album though, sometimes the singles aren't as good as the rest of the tunes. I definitely remain hopeful. :)

A big +1 on this one. Well put.

ThunderPX
05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
very much people say,the offspring makes ever the same music.
I think this is pretty good,because i don't want a band that change the kind of music at every album...
the offspring had begun as punk band and now they still play punk
green day first played punk-rock but then they did a "soft" album and now the kind of music wich green day has is alternativ.

The official Hammerhead MP3 is tagged as "alternative".

jacknife737
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM

I have no idea what you were expecting then. This song is infinitely better then anything on their last two studio's (save for lightening Rod). And based on the reaction from this site, and others, as well as radio, etc the majority of people seem to be impressed with the effort. This song is not a completely new thing for them; however it is clear, that this is the band at their best. Admittedly based off the live versions I would have gone with Half-Truism as the lead single, however the studio version has “converted me”.

HeadAroundU
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
This song is infinitely better then anything on their last two studio's (save for lightening Rod).
Another save for Million Miles Away.

Ultimetalhead
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I think it's weird that everyone is talking about the new NIN album being available for free, and that Coldplay made their first single available for free downloads, but no one is talking about "Hammerhead" being up for free. WTF?

The only reason I knew that Offspring was doing anything was watching G4. On their "Feed" thing they mentioned Hammerhead for download and I was like, :eek: So they are promoting it.

Jesus
05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
A big +1 on this one. Well put.
Wtf. You prefer songs such as Way down the line, Not the one, etc. over Hammerhead. It's an awesome song. Good music, vocals and even lyrics.

Omni
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry, kid, but "resting on the laurels of Smash?"

The scope of influence of Americana far outweighed that of Smash - it's foolish to pretend otherwise. If you were to pick an album for them to be "resting on," that would be the one.

In any case, I personally thought Conspiracy of One was their best album aside from Ixnay. The only albums of theirs I didn't enjoy were the self-titled and Splinter, because they sucked - but that's neither here nor there.

Resting on Smash? Seriously, are you forgetting how popular Americana was?

EDIT - Damn you, HAU. Now I'm off topic.

I couldn't agree more with Conspiracy of One. My second favorite album (first being Ixnay on the Hombre). Maybe we're just two of the very few who enjoyed One Fine Day and Want You Bad.

mrconeman
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Hammerhead is easily one of their musically superior songs, I think people who are claiming it doesn't compare to the old stuff are just the trupunx crowd who will never accept anything being better than the first four albums.

Hammerhead is as good, or better than nearly anything off of S/T, Ignition, Smash or Ixnay. Easily.
And this is coming from someone who never expected them to do anything as good as those albums ever again. I was happily proved wrong.

Smash_Returns
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Overall, not the best Offspring single, but pretty damn close.

Doesn't quite have the "OMGWOW ENCHANTED BY TEH SONG" effect Self Esteem had on me, but I completely love Hammerhead.

I definately would compare this to being as good as, if not better than, almost all of Ixnay, but not quite Smash. If this is a standard for the whole album, I think it'll rank #2 (Smash still being my #1, Ixnay becoming #3, and Americana becoming #4)

Also, I LOVE Half-Truism, even tho it's live. That one probably could be my #1Offspring single if I had a studio recording. If Half-Truism is the standard, well, damn, we might have a new #1.

Overall, love the new songs. They still got it.

Conspiracyof1000
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I couldn't agree more with Conspiracy of One. My second favorite album (first being Ixnay on the Hombre). Maybe we're just two of the very few who enjoyed One Fine Day and Want You Bad.

Want You Bad was my favorite song for a while, and I'm always humming One Fine Day. You also can't forget Dammit, I Changed Again is on Co1. And Million Miles Away.

Whenever KFMA plays Hammerhead they pause to talk about it. They only do that for Metallica, Flobots, Foo Fighters, and now The Offspring. Today I think they didn't even stop for the Flobots since that song is so "super" and everyone already loves and knows it (except me). To me, Hammerhead is one of their best singles since Ixnay.

Cock Joke
05-07-2008, 08:24 PM
OK...HONESTLY now, I have listened to this song several times, both live and on the radio now and come to the conclusion that it is not very good as a single. No decent hook and the guitar parts are definitely mediocore at best. Lyrically it's a decent song but it just does nothing to make it anything more than filler music of an average album. If any other band besides the Offspring put this out, it probably would not even make it to the radio let alone a recording studio. I am very disappointed with their first choice as a single. Hopefully this first single is not representative of the rest of the album. Don't flame me here, just be honest. Do you actually like this song?

Yes. I like the song very much! I have to actually tear myself away from listening to it every now and then. This song represents The Offspring perfectly and I think they'll rise to the top because of it.

KISSlover101
05-07-2008, 11:07 PM
this song is horrible there is no dynamic range to it and the vocals are muddied by the shitty snare drum and the horrible mixing, yes i am a sound engineer and am talking from my ears not my ass, this song pretty much just sounds like garbage from the minute the drum stick hits the snare, is there any compression or eq on that snare? it rings way to much should have been gated too if not better.....i'm still a fan but come on maybe just redo some old stuff if its goin to be mixed this badly, lets get some automation on the snare hits so it doesnt peak through during the vocal parts....yeah i probably do think i could mix this better than the mixing engineer but who knows i dont get paid to do stuff like that i'm still in school

Llamas
05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
this song is horrible there is no dynamic range
Have you ever listened to the Offspring before? The Offspring doesn't really use dynamics. Why would you ever expect an Offspring song to have strong dynamics? That's just stupid.

to it and the vocals are muddied by the shitty snare drum and the horrible mixing, yes i am a sound engineer and am talking from my ears not my ass, this song pretty much just sounds like garbage from the minute the drum stick hits the snare, is there any compression or eq on that snare? it rings way to much should have been gated too if not better.....i'm still a fan but come on maybe just redo some old stuff if its goin to be mixed this badly, lets get some automation on the snare hits so it doesnt peak through during the vocal parts....yeah i probably do think i could mix this better than the mixing engineer but who knows i dont get paid to do stuff like that i'm still in school
I think most people would agree that the drums were poorly mixed.
However, poorly mixed drums make a song HORRIBLE?? Seriously, that makes no sense. Mixing doesn't make a song good or bad. I think Hammerhead is a great song, with poorly mixed drums. You are talking out of your ass.

KISSlover101
05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
mixing does make the song good or bad what u listen to on the radio is that way because of mixing....and yes i have listened to other offspring songs and there is more space in the mix and range than this song here and to make my point the drums are the focal point of any modern mix, it all starts with the kick and snare and works from there this isnt the 1880s up until the 1970s where it was the bass that was the focal point because it was easier to record those waveforms....so when the snare sounds like crap it makes the whole thing sound like crap especially when it isnt mixed well with the rest of the song

Llamas
05-07-2008, 11:56 PM
First of all, your definition of "dynamics" is obviously skewed. The Offspring's songs (save a very small few) stay the same dynamic the entire song. This song is no different in that regard.

And this was just a bad mix of the song. The song was very, very well written and performed. A song exists without mixing. A band could play it live only, and never record it. Or they could record it all in one batch without mixing. Mixing isn't part of a song; it's part of a recording. Therefore, this recording is kinda crummy, but the song is good.

What you're saying is the same as saying that your dinner sucked because is was presented on an ugly plate with plastic silverware. The presentation of that dinner sure sucked, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the tastiest chicken sandwich and mashed potatoes ever. :)

nico33
05-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey guys! Where is the man, who was listening in France the new album with noodles? I would like to know, if in the new album will some great long intros like TKAA, The Noose... Becasue in Trust In You isn t very long intro :(

Zee
05-08-2008, 01:01 AM
The song is just pure awesomeness.

The mixing is rather bad, yes. The drums especially, yes. There's something that makes the sounds porridge, not clear and light enough. You wouldn't believe that it's made by one of the famous producers. But you didn't think that on Metallica's St. Anger neither. That's even worse, heh. They could've taken so much more of the song with crystal clear, deep sounds and mixing, but not this time. But it's not that bad really if you got that picture from this text... far from perfect though.

djotroy17
05-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Ok, no doubt in my mind prior to splinter Offspring was the greatest band of all time and nobody else even came close to their awsomeness.

I am sure offspring is aware they slipped up a little (a lot) on splinter and I think thats why they spent so long getting this album right to make up for splinter and brought us a new album to remind the world they are still The Offspring.

My expectations for this album were and still are high, I don't think they will come close to topping the classic albums, but I expect them to bring at least 2-3 new songs that are worthy of being on an Americana album which I would easily pay $50 per new song of that caliber to add to my playlists.

Listening to Hammerhead started off great, it reminded me of the old offspring and I got really excited...then the song didnt really go anywhere and dragged on for 2.5 min of the same thing. Sure they might have changed the beat a little bit, but the overall tone and broadcast of the song was 2.5 min of the same thing. This song in my eyes is still better then half the stuff on Splinter, but it is not worthy of being mentioned with their old albums.

As someone mentioned earlyer, this song would not be on the radio if any1 aside from offspring sang it, and I agree with that. If you want proof make a playlist right now with these 5 songs: Self Esteem, Staring at the sun, No Brakes, Nitro, Million Miles Away...I chose those songs completly randomly off of my old offspring playlist, Itunes shuffled it for me and those were the first 5 listed. Now listen to hammerhead again and immediatley afterwards listen to any of those 5 songs...the difference is so huge that if I didnt know who offspring was and heard these 2 songs I would probly think they are 2 different bands. Now if you listen to any 2 of those 5 songs back to back you hear the similarties, the style is the same.

I hope this is the worst song of the new album and Offspring wanted to trick us into thinking we are in for Splinter V2.0 and then suprise us with a kickass album.

Its almost depressing, I do truley enjoy the album splinter and the song hammerhead...however had I not heard any of offsprings classics I probly would not like or care about offspring at all. You just have to appreciate everything offspring makes after what they gave us in their glory days.

Jesus
05-08-2008, 03:00 AM
No brakes? No brakes? No brakes? Seriously No brakes?

I'm sure there will be like 1 or 2 other generic Offspring, 2 minute, fast songs on there (No brakes, Never gonna find me, So alone, Da Hui etc). Those songs hardly make me excited, cause they have done them so many times and usually the lyrics aren't that great.

And I'm getting old when people start referring to Americana as an old Offspring album. The love is quite ironic too, seeing as how it was bashed pretty much everywhere including on the forums from 99-04 (sort of like American Idiot now, even though that's also a great album). This is all so twilight zone-ish.

TBD
05-08-2008, 03:24 AM
This song fucking sucks.

weezly
05-08-2008, 03:26 AM
im lost here, the producing is the best ever, the drums sound amazing, the song is possibly the best offspring song ever, it has good variation, its fast ,hard and melodic, dexter sounds great, this single is exactly what i wanted all u lot do is complain??? bob rock and offspring have done an amazing job with this single, its punishing as bob says and hes right

TBD
05-08-2008, 03:28 AM
the song is possibly the best offspring song ever

oh my fucking god are you serious?

Lipo
05-08-2008, 03:32 AM
im lost here, the producing is the best ever, the drums sound amazing, the song is possibly the best offspring song ever, it has good variation, its fast ,hard and melodic, dexter sounds great, this single is exactly what i wanted all u lot do is complain??? bob rock and offspring have done an amazing job with this single, its punishing as bob says and hes right

I agree with you,but i don't think it's the best Offspring song.Maybe in the first 10 best songs.

The Search Button
05-08-2008, 03:44 AM
The new TheOffspring song, Hammerhead sucks really hard for the following reasons:

-I haven't write it;
-I'm not making any money out of it;
-I don't play any instrument on it.

So there you go, bad, bad song.

effreyj
05-08-2008, 05:08 AM
I really like Hammerhead since it reminds of of older songs. Actually, for some reason the chorus reminds me of "falling...I'm falling" from Have You Ever. Listen to the chorus and sing "falling...I'm falling" and you'll see I'm right.

Superdope
05-08-2008, 05:14 AM

No, you're not alone on this one. Although I would rather point out Vultures, Living in Chaos and Special Delivery as the highlights.

But all in all a great album, definitely underrated.

disclaimer_07
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't know why, but somehow I find the song similar to "Mission From God". Maybe The Offspring want to sound like they did years ago. Anyway, I like it a lot, especially the chorus.

Diego06
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
From promotion and reactions from radio DJs so far, it seems like the band put out Hammerhead first precisely because it sounded like an old Offspring song. They wanted to be sure everybody knew they could still make a Smash-like song. Then, once they have that status, they can move on to releasing more diverse singles.

i think you're right: the band know that many people says that they "don't are a punk rock band" or "they are a too commercial band" so with the song "hammerhead" they want to prove that they are always the same, i think it's a good thing and i think the other songs of the album are differents and some of them will have a big commercial success, but the song "hammerhead" is for the real fans first

Cock Joke
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
What you're saying is the same as saying that your dinner sucked because is was presented on an ugly plate with plastic silverware. The presentation of that dinner sure sucked, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the tastiest chicken sandwich and mashed potatoes ever. :)

Damn straight!!! :cool:

___

There are some seriously picky people here today.

dip3
05-08-2008, 06:13 PM
oh my fucking god are you serious?
Somehow I can easily picture you as the guy you have set as your avatar. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was you.

platinumpt
05-10-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm not a music expert, but I do know what my ears like. And my ears love the new Offspring single. It's an awesome song, with an incredibly amazing pace, and perfectly adequate lyrics. I specially love the "... but I'm just doing what I'm told" part. It fits so very well on the song... it's incredible. I can't wait to see them live the 6th June in Rock in Rio.

And props to The Offspring for letting us download the song for free, and in excellent quality! Thank you guys! You rock.

slade
05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
I dig the song too. I really like the second half.

Grabbal
05-10-2008, 09:15 AM