PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Noodles

Jesus
05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
From RockMag. It's in french though ;).

Most important parts:
-The album was originally called Rise and Fall. The other part was added afterwards (and are also lyrics in another song on the album).
-Hammerhead is about a guy who wears a uniform and thinks or has the impression that every thing he's gonna do is for the best of the world. Sort of deluded (it hammers in his head ; )). But in the end you realise that it is actually the opposite.

Thanks goes out to the guys at theoffspring-fr cause they scanned it.
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5021/img001zz9.jpg

Amiralanal
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks.
Does anyone have the time to translate this?

RonWelty
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
an angel in the front cover...

dff_punk
05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you Jesus :p

From what I can see there, there is something about playing the new songs live, but I cannot translate the "Il y a encore du boulot" thing, mainly the word "boulot", it could be the reason why they arent playing other new songs live yet.

Jesus
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
an angel in the front cover...

yup, sort of 'well not really an angel but something that resembles one'

Superdope
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
boulot means job, right?

something along the lines: there is still a job to do

or something, French isn't one of my many, many skills.

Camilamazed
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Darea is French.

She would translate it ot us.

=]

Indii
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM

From what I can see there, there is something about playing the new songs live, but I cannot translate the "Il y a encore du boulot" thing, mainly the word "boulot", it could be the reason why they arent playing other new songs live yet.

It means "still a lot of work to do". So they might need to practise the new songs a little more.

Jesus
05-07-2008, 10:52 AM

"Il y a encore du boulot" = Still some work to do .

What it says:
They still have some work to do to play the other songs, because they haven't really played them togheter. So that's what they are gonna practice in May, so they can play'm with "their eyes closed" and see which work best live.

Ow yeah, the lightning rod reference is a fuck up, they prolly mean half truism. Like they mean Atom when they write Adam ;).

dff_punk
05-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok, thanks. Anyway, I wonder which song has got the "Rage And Grace" in its lyrics..

Offspring.of.Offspring
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Rage = Hammerhead (?)
Grace = dunno

Jojan
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Ok, thanks. Anyway, I wonder which song has got the "Rage And Grace" in its lyrics..

It's probably something they sing in Rise and Fall. Maybe not, but I think so.

jacknife737
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
It's probably something they sing in Rise and Fall. Maybe not, but I think so.

That seems logical.

Jesus
05-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Nope, Noodles says rage and grace is part of another song (another song than rise and fall).

The_Bass
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Hmm, now the thing I quit French some years ago is coming back to haunt me.

Mushroom
05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Wow, I got quite close to what I thought Hammerhead was about.

Hypodermic_89
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm willing to bet that "Rage and grace" can be found in Trust In You.

Iamstupid
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I was boring so I decided to try translate it.
Sorry if sometimes it looks kinda strange...

The Grace, The Furor.
Since 5 years, we were waiting for it, without really believing in it. Yet it's official : the eighth Offspring's album will be realeased on 17th June and called Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace.

Learning the news, we couldn't wait one more month to give you more informations. The band coming on 28th june in Paris to present the album before or locking-up, ROCKMAG gave a call to Noodles, guitarist & co-fundater of the combo.

ROCKMAG : Hi Noodles, so where are you calling us from ?

Noodles : From my home, in California !

ROCKMAG : and so what where you doing ?

Noodles : I was drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette ! (laughters) It's 9AM here and I just woke up !

ROCKMAG : The very question we crave to ask you is of course : why the album was delayed for so long ?

Noodles : Years ago, we had announced for fun that we would calle our new album Chinese Democracy (laughters) We shouldn't have done that 'cause it looks like it didn't brings us luck ! There's no real reason for the album to be delayed, he just wasn't ready before. Most of all, I believe we didn't really took the time by the past to make things, we always wanted to compose quickly. For many times, while re-listening to our discs, we've figured out one or two things that went wrong. We didn't want this to repeat again on this new album.

ROCKMAG : The changes of drummer have for sure something to do with it ?

Noodles : Ron was our drummer since 1987. He was an untouchable member. He left the band in 2003 just before the recording of Splinter to devote himself on his own project, Steady Ground, in which he's the drummer and producer. We hired John Freese (A Perfect Circle, NIN) to record the drums part, then Adam Willard became our official drummer. He toured with us, everything went right, and afterwards he met Tom Delonge during a show. They built a new band, Angel & Airwaves, and he prefered to left The Offspring because he felt more comfortable in his other project. We then hired Pete Parada, who plays in Save The Day, but still it's Josh Freese who played the drums on this new disc.

ROCKMAG : So, Pete is the new official drummer ?

Noodles : For the time being, he'll tour with us, and we'll see how it is coming. On the first shows, all went right, and he adapted quickcly. So, it's on the right road but we have to give him more appointments before we marry him (laughters) !

ROCKMAG : The album will be called Rise And Fall, Rise And Grace...

Noodles : Dexter found the title. At first, he just wanted to put Rise And Fall because there's song entitled this way, and he tought it reprensented greatly our songs : energy rises, and intensity descents. And then we added Rage And Grace, which is a part of another song, and which shows emotions people can feel, either it is contempt or zeal. We loved this opposition between words.

ROCKMAG : How would you define the whole titles in relation of the precedent albums ?

Noodles : It's a tricky question because I have no recession with respect to these new songs. But I'd say we tried to favour the instruments, to give them more might, all of this while keeping Offspring's songs' structure : that's to say quick verses and sung, heady verses.

ROCKMAG : There's a huge waiting on behalf of fans. You put videos online to keep them patient and then, nothing...

Noodles : We've already played in live two new songs in Japan and in Australia ! I could see people from the pit trying to film with their cellulars or film cameras. Hammerhead was to be found from the following day on the Internet ! It was pleasant to see that fans were waiting, even after 5 years. We tried to keep them informed with news, videos. We had put in place the webcam for people to see us in the studio, like in a reality TV show. We did our best, but there was a moment where we had nothing more to say ! We didn't know ourselves when the album would be ready, it was no use to tell fans something we didn't know ! It was better saying nothing, and coming back in force when everything would be set !

ROCKMAG : I most of all believe that some were afraid that the band could split. Was this put in question ?

Honestly, not. Greg, Dexter and I are really steady and united, and we know well that The Offspring meant for us and in which direction we have to go. We've never thought of splitting, at least not in our heads.

ROCKMAG : What about the Artwork ?

Noodles : We're not sure if it's completly finished, but we already started working on it a few months ago, with Shawn, a very cool guy we worked with for numerous years. The firsts things we made is a picture, reprensenting an angel. Well, not really an angel, but something going that way (laughters) !

ROCKMAG : Hammerhead is the first single...

Noodles : We choose it as single because it was the most representative of the album : calm intro, verses full of energy, melodic, entraining chorus. That's what we do the best. The lyrics deal with a uniform-clad man believing everything he'll do will be good to earth. He's carried by an huge force acting in his mind, hence the name Hammerhead. And at the end he realises that everything ain't that good. I think we'll start writing the clip script during or press tour, and maybe then I could tell you more during our next interview in Paris !

ROCKMAG : Are you set to play these new titles in live ?

Noodles : Honestly ? Not at all (laughters) ! The only ones whom were ready were Hammerhead and Lightning Rod, and we played them on our last shows. There's still some work on the others (laughters) ! In may, we shall have some time left to repeat and adjust all of that. We know every songs and now we have to learn playing them together, on trust ! This will also permit us to see which ones work the best in live.

BACK ON THE ROAD :

The Offspring were in Europe in the end of april to present the press Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace and to answer medias questions. They'll go back to the USA in the beginning of May, were they'll record Hammerhead's videoclip. The Band will then provide radio shows and some concerts to promote it's eighth album : 16th May at the X-Fest of San Diego and the 18th in Santa Barbara. In july and june, they'll come back in Europe to play 10 (!) festivals, including one on the 07/06 at the Eurockéennes.

Well that's it, hope it helped. I did my best but I think that there's a lot of mistakes.

jacknife737
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Great interview, cheers for translating Iamstupid.

Peedr
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
^ Good job, that's one huge article. Thank you for translation. :)

Indii
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
ROCKMAG : Are you set to play these new titles in live ?

Noodles : Honestly ? Not at all (laughters) ! The only ones whom were ready were Hammerhead and Lightning Rod, and we played them on our last shows. There's still some work on the others (laughters) ! In may, we shall have some time left to repeat and adjust all of that. We know every songs and now we have to learn playing them together, on trust ! This will also permit us to see which ones work the best in live.

Thanks for translating, really helped me and my rudimentary (Is there a word like this in English?) French. I know it says "Lightning Rod" in the original, but shouldn't it be "Half-Truism"?

Hypodermic_89
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks man, great translation!

shanna_guarana
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for translation....i felt like I was blind...

Amiralanal
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanx for the translation

Camilamazed
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Thank you, Iamstupid.

I really thought Pete recorded the drums. I must read more.

LeAN|oFFsprinG
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Ow yeah, the lightning rod reference is a fuck up, they prolly mean half truism. Like they mean Atom when they write Adam ;).

In AvA(his actual band), they call him Adam. Im so confused :confused:

RonWelty
05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
"Atom" is a nick like Dexter or Noodles or even K.

LeAN|oFFsprinG
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
"Atom" is a nick like Dexter or Noodles or even K.

ok, thats what i thought. The interview is ok.

ThunderPX
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
If my parents called me Atom I'd punch them in the mouth as soon as I became aware of it.

Alex101
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the translation as well.

Cock Joke
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Jesus, thanks for posting.

Iamstupid, thanks for translating.

That was a good interview.

Ryder1234
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
sweet interview

Conspiracyof1000
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice. :) Dammit, 10 characters...

Iamstupid
05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
You're all welcome :)

I'm pretty curious now to see the album artwork...an angel but not really an angel...strange.

SaiKYoU
05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
an angel??! i gotta say i love the "gone away" single cover, so maybe i'll get an erection when the cover is released...

Powerh
05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Noodles confirm that the artwork will be about an angel unchained.
French Fans had an short discuss with him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSrz5B1KlE

The Search Button
05-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Noodles confirm that the artwork will be about an angel unchained.
French Fans had an short discuss with him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSrz5B1KlE

Uh. A group of French fans cornering Noodles for the sake of information.

How uncomfortable.

bighead384
05-08-2008, 07:10 AM
So why does Noodles call Ron "untouchable". What exactly does that mean?

Superdope
05-08-2008, 07:27 AM
So why does Noodles call Ron "untouchable". What exactly does that mean?

Its' probably not meant in a literal way, obviously.
Just that he was their drummer, having been with them for so long, you know? I think it's just the translation that's a little shaky, no offence, Iamstupid.

skoko
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm willing to bet that "Rage and grace" can be found in Trust In You.

you´re right. i read it in an other interview (sorry, i don´t know the link anymore). i think it was also with noodles who said that "rage and grace" is a part of trust in you.

great interview, thank´s for the translation.

a bientôt ;-)

Powerh
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
no, it's from "Fix You."

the lyrics are "she wakes up, rage and grace..."

holland25
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I really don't think so. But we will see.

Powerh
05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
don't believe me if you want, i have the album already...

Sinobin
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
If you have, upload it:cool:

Superdope
05-08-2008, 08:45 AM

He really shouldn't...

IamSam
05-08-2008, 08:47 AM

He'll be destroyed because of previous events.

RageAndLov
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
thanks for translation, great reading

some sort of an angel as the artwork? this will be interesting

im betting that the cover will be very black, with little other colors

Cock Joke
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
im betting that the cover will be very black, with little other colors

I'm guessing black with a bit of red, for obvious reasons. ;)

Dexter_italy
05-09-2008, 01:04 AM
no, it's from "Fix You."

the lyrics are "she wakes up, rage and grace..."

this means there's no 13th track called rage and grace :mad:
________
Vaaapp Vaporizer (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

darea
05-09-2008, 03:15 AM
I would have done the translation, but I see Iamstupid did it before... So now I don't have to think about that and I'll just go and read the interview (in french) myself !! If anybody has any other newish interwiew (in french or english) would be cool to post it too!!!

splinterosaur
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
The interview was interesting, thanks for the translation!

Marc_Nitschke
05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah, nice one, thanks for the interview and the translation

F@ BANKZ
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks. The information on the title in particular makes me pretty excited. I'm starting to get a little too excited with these interviews now, and impatient for June.