PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been listening to The Offspring, and wha song got you hooked?!

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Okay, let's get one thing straight: this is NOT some sort of stupid bragging thread where you can feel good about liking this band longer than some other folks or something immature and stupid like that. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity and maybe find out that you have something in common with other people here.

I've been an Offspring maniac since 1994. When I was 10 years old, I heard "Self Esteem" on the radio and was hooked forever. Within three years I picked up all of their albums and I've been a fanatic ever since. Everytime I think I outgrew this band or something, they come out with a new album that blows me away.

Share your experiences here.

Moose
01-07-2005, 12:38 PM
since i was i think 11, with ixnay, the song that got me hooked was all i want.

Sketch
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I really started liking them when Americana was new, and the song that got me hooked was The kids Aren't Alright. Ever since, they've been my favorite band.

Embodude2004
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
the song that has me hooked lightning rod and long way home

scream
01-07-2005, 12:58 PM
i was in 6th grade (around the time americana came out) and i liked why dont you get a job. i bought the CD and immediately fell in love with every song except pretty fly. the rest is history.

Camilamazed
01-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Since I was just 13. (Now I'm 24 hehehe) :D

Tired_Of_You
01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Since 1998, I was 10 years old. I don't remember what song hooked me...Maybe No Brakes, I remember that it used to be my favorite on Americana.

MirandaV
01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Probably Pretty Fly, first meeting with Offspring, didn't buy the album by then though, got to listen to offspring songs on kazaa and then I bought em all, something like that, it's been a while.

intothevalleyofdeath
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
come out swinging got me hooked, and the kids video

GBH2
01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
well, i was about 3 when ignition came out, so...
not. actually my cousin bought co1, and that's how i got into them.

Obie2trice
01-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Since Americana in 1998, so I`ve started hearing from them when Pretty Fly came out. And then bought every album of them

Layna
01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Since I was 10 or 11 (dont remember, when americana came out,but I heard "come out and play" first,but I didn't know the offspring)I'm 17 now(18 in july)...

RawkFAn
01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I was in 7th grade when I started getting into music. I heard Original Prankster and knew that it was the same band who sang pretty fly. I never heard their name before, it's just that it got air play on my sister's pop stations and I always had to hear it in the car. Anyway, after I found out who they were I picked up the CO1 and fell in love with them.

Camilamazed
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I forgot to mention that I've started lisntening to Offspring when Come Out and play came out.This was the first song I listened to. :D

bd007h
01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
well, I was introduced to the Offspring when I was 8 in 1994. My sister (she was 13 at the time) bought smash on tape. I lost interest after awhile though. Then 5 years later, In 1999, my sister's boyfriend gave her a tape with both Smash and Ixnay on it. I listened to them, and got hooked. It was at that time that Americana was a new release and Pretty Fly had just come out. I borrowed that from one of my sisters friends and taped that. I loved it and set out to buy all of their albums on cd, which I have successfully accomplished.

Skate Rat 19
01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Well actually it was in 03 when Hit That aired. When i bought splinter i heard neocon and thought one thing: One Hit Wonder. But once 'The Noose' came on they became my favorite band ever. As i bought more albums i started hearing strangley familiar songs. Once i got to Smash(i went backwards from splinter to smash) i reaized that these guys have been my favorite band all my life. I was born in 1991 and all the time i heard their songs and loved them but didn't know it was all the same band. Now I've got 5 albums(Smash all the way to Splinter) and every time I bought one it kicked ass. So when I firgured i needed a new cd i just but another Offspring cd because i knew it would be great. And that just says about says it all.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2005, 06:03 PM
It's crazy, I remember posting on one of the early forms of the BBS here, back in 1997, and people made fun of me because I was new to The Offspring, since I'd only been listening to them since 1994! Times have changed big time, and it's really cool.

Anyway, awesome responses everyone! Keep em comin'!

meaning_of_life
01-07-2005, 06:34 PM
i remember hearing gone away on the radio, and i loved it, and the clip. i got americana a year or so later like every other fool, liking PF(FAWG), and heard the kids arent alright, and ive just loved 'em ever since.

bd007h
01-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I feel proud to be an offspring veteran. I've known of them for almost 11 years, and I'm only 18.

Talman
01-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I'll admit it was when pretty fly came out that i started to like them. Although i'm 100% positive i had heard all i want before that, and liked it.
________
Life insurance forum (http://www.insurance-forums.org/life-insurance/)

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2005, 06:44 PM
I feel proud to be an offspring veteran.

Same here, bud. It's cool to have been supporting them for this long.

killboypwrheadjx
01-07-2005, 08:52 PM
ignition and smash came out was when i was about 5 and my dad was having his mid-life crisis so he bought a bmw and played offspring and nirvana in it all the time. he eventually got out of it, but i didnt. i literally grew up listening to the offspring. they're still my favorite band and always will be.

leo3375
01-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I first heard the Offspring in 1994. I became hooked that fall at the tender age of 13 after hearing "Come Out and Play." I got Smash for Christmas that year, and bought Ignition in 1995. In January of 1996 I got S/T and I've been very up-to-date since.

In a way it's strange to know that I've been an Offspring fan for that long. The ways they've imapcted my life (both directly and indirectly) are also pretty astounding.

dirtybird
01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
ive been listening for a couple years.. hit that got me hooked but i liked pretty fly, come out and play, and self asteem before that but i didnt know they were by the offspring too.

Amelia
01-07-2005, 10:55 PM
I was 13 and have been a fan since the ignition days. My brother got me into them.

XM DUDE
01-07-2005, 11:23 PM
I got hooked on speciel delivery, but the new stuff is better.

bd007h
01-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I got hooked on speciel delivery, but the new stuff is better.

their older stuff is even better

The_Next_Ron_Welty
01-08-2005, 02:15 AM
I listened to self esteem when i was like 12 or 13 and i didnt think much of them at first but then i saw them on tv acouple of times and ixnay on the hombre came out i just started liking that type of music. they pretty much got me into punk music

Lithuanian Offspring
01-08-2005, 02:37 AM
It was probably in the year 2001 my friend bought a Conspiracy of One album for me and I had a few more Offspring songs from Americana, Smash and Ixnay. As I was listening to them the thought came to me "Hey, they are awesome." And they have been my favorite band from then on.

ATOM_01
01-08-2005, 03:03 AM
first offspring song i heard was why don't you get a job, but the first song of theirs' i liked was original prankster, then i got conspiracy of one for christmas and realised that prankster is crap compared to how good the band can be. now i have all their albums except for the goddam self-titled, which I WILL get when i can find.

best offspring song: gone away

Lithuanian Offspring
01-08-2005, 03:13 AM
now i have all their albums except for the goddam self-titled, which I WILL get when i can find.

I can send you the Self Titled in Mp3 format. You can get like Yahoo Messenger or MSN messenger.

Lullaby
01-08-2005, 03:13 AM
1998, so I was very young, ca. 8/9....At teh beginning I loved the pretty fly video cause it was so funny!
Well my cousin(he visited us in his vacation cause he actually lived in england...now in sweden) bought the americana and I liked it...so he gave it to my as a present...(well I asked him the whole time:Can we hear the americana please??...
Then he just cant take it anymore and said: ok ok....please just shut up you driving me crazy..you can have it)

^^I dunno how he could get along with me when I was younger...

wickedsparkle
01-08-2005, 05:45 AM
well i heard the soundtrack on crazy taxi wanted to know who sung it but then fogot about it then my brother got the million miles away single and a offspring hoody and in the end i liked them because he was them all the time, but now he hates them.

rebelspang53
01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
I've liked Offspring since Smash came out in 94, when i was 4 or 5. Dad got the cd and i heard Self Esteem, Come Out And Play, and Bad Habit, and I've been a fan every since.

vintagepunkrock7
01-08-2005, 09:05 PM
well i had heard a few of their songs on the radio b4 but i didnt realize it was them, i liked what i heard but i wasnt really into that kind of music then, what really got me hooked was cant get my head around you, and when i started to hear everything else they have done, i was like i wish i would have gotten into them sooner i feel like i missed out on alot.

BaDhAbIt
01-08-2005, 10:18 PM
i gotta say im kinda new to the offspring....i got hooked on "all i want" off crazy taxi in '03...i bought co1 first, then all the rest of their albums within 3 months :D

lost_nvrfound
01-08-2005, 10:51 PM
the first i remember becoming hooked was in '97 when the released pretty fly as a single... but i think that i listened to themsince '94 when they first were gettin radioplay... we listened to the radio a lot...but i was only 4 or 5 at that point and i can't remember much from that period of my life... i also listened to nirvana at that point too... i didn't realize it until a few months ago when my friend played smells like teen spirit and i knew it

CommonRider
01-08-2005, 10:51 PM
It was about 2 years ago I was sick and tired of hearing pop punk bands sing about girls and punk bands only singing about politics, so i looked for some bands that just sung about random stuff and I remembered liking "Want You Bad" and also "All I Want" and "Way Down The Line" from Crazy Taxi so i downloaded from kaazaa some of the CDs then I got Co1, then Ixnay, then Smash, then Ignition, the Americana, and then S/t all within a couple months, and of course Splinter now.

xComexOutxAndxPlay
01-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Wow, when Americana first came out i had already heard of Original Prankster which got me hooked...Americana was the first CD i ever bought with my own money. I have listened to them ever since.
:cool: Of course...offspring is the best.

::Silvia::
01-09-2005, 03:32 AM
I don't exactly remember since when... maybe two years ago... yes, I found casually their cd of Americana and I have immediately loved them, especially The kids aren't alright! :D

the_GoDdEsS
01-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I think it was in 1996 when I thought All I Want was really cool. I was 14 or something. I didn't get any album until Pretty Fly came out in 1999 and I bought Ixnay. It's still my all time favourite album.
Don't listen much these days.

bhg_rulz2
01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
well......wheni was like 7 years old.....i heard "self Esteem" and "come out an play"...i liked them...but i didnt know who they were...so my brother bought "smash" and he listened every day...i didnt still know who they were....so in 1998...i heard "pretty fly" and "wdygaj"...and i really like them....so i got americana...of course...."the kids arent alright" i love it...but no so hooked with offspring....so in 2001...i watched "want you bad" and i really loved it...so i got "co1" and love it...then in 2003....a friend loved the band (still love them)....and he pass me songs of them...and when i heard ALL I WANT....was when...WOOOW!!...i got hooked haha...so now...im an offspring maniac...i love all theri songs...splinter is awesome...they mix up things very cool!

OFFSPRING RULZ!!!

Superdope
01-10-2005, 05:32 AM
I guess my big brother got me into the offspring.
he had bought smash when i was about five...
i recognized some of the songs on tv and stuff.
it was when he bought americana and we listened to it all the time in the car i really got hooked. :D
god bless you brotha!

offspring4ever
01-10-2005, 05:52 AM
The first song I liked was Pretty Fly, but when Original Prankster came out I actually decided to ask around about the band. After a while I bought Americana, then SMASH, and then I got crazy.

Funky Donkey
01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
well It was a few years ago I always remember hearing Staring At The sun ad The Kids Aren't Alright on my brothers stereo.

Floyd the Barber
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Early 2000. I heard "All I Want" on the Crazy Taxi soundtrack. I liked it and the other 'Spring song on there (Way Down The Line) but didn't think of them again till Christmas 03 when I got Ixnay. Great disc. I now have 5 of their CDs and almost all of their songs on the computer.

*Thinks about tryiing to download Kill The President*

*Goes to download it*

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I got hooked on Pretty Fly. But it wasn't till 2 years later that I seriesly got into them when I bought Ixnay. The funnest thing is that i can't stand that song on, ironic.

nameless
01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
i was 13/14 and it was after americana came out, i know people say its not a good album but personally its one of my favourites!

acgc2002
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
self steem...

;D

Duncan11
01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Come Out and Play got me listening. Then with pretty fly, I started buying more and more of their CDs.

...They're so versitile!

sgwt_greg
01-11-2005, 06:54 AM
1996 i was 9 Gone Away im 18 now and still lovin it

Leo_ARG
01-11-2005, 10:56 AM
When I was 12 o 13, with Original prankter on MTV.
I thought Offpsring was great but when I got Smash it just blew my head off.

delboy
01-11-2005, 12:50 PM
For me, it was Pretty Fly, never bothered with it. Then my friend got Conspiracy of One and asked if I could borrow it for a listen and I loved it :D Even though, now I think Conspiracy of one is the weakest album :p

noodle654
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I think it was Smash, Come out and Play. That got me hooked, i have all of their cd's. Even Club Me. I was only 9. Then I saw a concert wen i was 10 with my friends

ReDeAdOf89
02-01-2005, 07:34 PM
I was in the 7th grade when I first heard Pretty Fly and thats what got me hooked.

MRaab
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
I just started listening this summer when I was 14. I heard Self Esteem and three months later I had every album! :D

thecarrillo
02-01-2005, 08:28 PM
i started listening back in 97 and im hooked on blackball

noodle jr
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
1998 When I Was In Standard 3...the Song That I Got Hooked Were The Kids Aren't Alright And Tehran

smelly poo in a shoe
02-02-2005, 03:01 AM
1994, i heard ignition for the first time, i was 10
cant remember what song cos i didnt know the names of em back then

Pinocchio
02-02-2005, 03:31 AM
self-esteem

back in 1994, it was almost christmas and I was on a camp with my good friends and some less good friends somewhere very far away from any civilization.

that song really rocked like hell.
it still does.

bdexterholland
02-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Ive started when pretty fly was released and all musics were hookes me.... :D

Mannen som blev en gris
02-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Why don't you get a job was the song that got me hooked (now I don't stand listen to it though), and I bought Americana because of that song. I was seven then, now I'm 13 (14 this year).

BuddyHolly
02-02-2005, 08:23 AM
The Kids Aren't Allright got me hooked. That was in 1998 i guess and i think i was about 13 years old.

Panzerfaust92
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I liked, "What happened to you." I used to play sega while listening to that song.

original_psycho
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
I've been listening to The Offspring since I was 8 or 9 years old, when I first heard Pretty Fly (For A White Guy).

Naz
02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I was at my friends house, I must have been about 13. Her older brother was into lots of rock music, but I heard a song playing, and I had to ask him what it was, and it was 'All I Want' so I borrowed Ixnay from him, and then bought it myself, and thats how it started :)

MoRoChA_DeW
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
ive been listening to the offspring for 6 years now... i started when i was 11 and "americana" came out... pretty fly for a white guy was the first song i heard!

rowan187
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
The song that actually got me hooked was original prankster..i owned americana but never gave it much listening..then i got co1 and loved americana and it so much. and then i got splinter..im now looking into ixnay but i heard it wasnt good compared to americana and co1

Naz
02-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Ixnay is awesome. Its my fave album of theirs anyway.

CreaturesInside
02-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm a dork. I didn't grow up listening to the radio or with Mtv. I used to listen to Wierd Al.

When I heard Pretty Fly though (about age 15), I thought it was pretty rockin'. So I bought Americana. After listening to the whole album I was like "fuck that song... the rest of the album is 10 times better". So I went out and bought everything else and decided that The Offspring were the greatest band in existence.

I do have to give credit to them for getting me into music in general. After getting into them I looked up on cdnow.com when they had "like artists" and discoverd bands like Bad Religion and Guttermouth and AFI and such.

Now I'm a self confessed music whore and I listen to anything that I find decent.

mcmontoya
02-07-2005, 12:49 PM
actually i hadn't considered myself as a fan of the offspring until 4 months ago, when i heard they were going to play in colombia. that's when i got all of their albums and decided that i had to go. and i did. i had heard them before, some songs, mostly watch their videos on mtv, so the song i remember hearing first was pretty fly. of course i had already listened to Come out and play, i just didn't know that it was theirs. so i'm not sure on which song got me hooked

Iddy
02-08-2005, 02:25 AM
I heard TKAA live one day and just thought it was fantastic.. found out who it was and bought the album..

Simple :)

I don't know
02-08-2005, 08:18 AM
I have been listening to the offspring for about 3 years. The song that got me hooked was Self esteem(the first song that I've listened from the offspring, and it was 3 years ago, I know that it was a little bit late to listen to self esteem, but I didn't use to listen to radio or watch mtv 'till I was 12). After listening to self esteem I bought conspiracy of one('cause it was the latest cd in the time, so it was the first that I found), then I bought all of their cds

Russian-Offspringer
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
It is All I want in 2002, when I was playing Playstation. It was game called "Crazy taxist". I really like this game and then this song is always on my mind! Ya-ya-ya-ya-ya.... After that I bought this album "Ixnay on the hombre", and I became a fan of the Offspring, then I bought mp3 CD with all Off's albums.., I very like Offspring! It's cool!
And now, my favourite song is SELF ESTEEM!!!

Subsidal
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm listening to them for 7 years and I got hooked by Pretty Fly, but the first song I heard of them was Self Esteem