PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they update their image?

daveyshavocs
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
the offspring have been one of my favorite bands for the last 15 years,but seeing them at recent shows and promo pics it looks like their stuck in 1995. nowadays image is important to bands, and i know their about 40 yrs old but so are the foo fighters and they keep up with new styles. for the love of god guys, get some new clothes and noodles get a hair cut.

maplejet
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
The image shouldn't matter at all. Whether they produce good music should be the only thing. As we saw, Green Day's change in image, especially Billie Joe, helped attract emo bandwagoners and brought some negative affects.

The Offspring look just as good as they were 10 years ago. No need to change it.

Anka
05-08-2008, 11:36 AM
they look great as always:) but, I want back noodles with short haircut, I love his black-white hair:D

holland25
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
the offspring have been one of my favorite bands for the last 15 years,but seeing them at recent shows and promo pics it looks like their stuck in 1995. nowadays image is important to bands, and i know their about 40 yrs old but so are the foo fighters and they keep up with new styles. for the love of god guys, get some new clothes and noodles get a hair cut.

They're not some trendy emo fucking kids to go with what's modern, trendy and gay, and they look good the way they are. So back off.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Man what the fuck? Just go, leave the boards and don't come back! I guess they should all get gay short mohawks and wear tight pants, and also their songs should be about how thier parents just don't understand them. I can belive what this guy is saying, it's like everything i hate about people and their trendie little fuck lives. My guess is that this guys about 12 or 13. Who gives a fuck what they wear, it's music just fucking listen to it. I would love to just punch you in the face.
"I just want to be who I want to be
Guess that‘s hard for others to see
I‘m not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
I‘m not a trendy asshole
I don‘t give a fuck if it‘s good enough for you"

Jesus
05-08-2008, 12:37 PM
He lives up to his username.

disclaimer_07
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Man what the fuck? Just go, leave the boards and don't come back! I guess they should all get gay short mohawks and wear tight pants, and also their songs should be about how thier parents just don't understand them. I can belive what this guy is saying, it's like everything i hate about people and their trendie little fuck lives. My guess is that this guys about 12 or 13. Who gives a fuck what they wear, it's music just fucking listen to it. I would love to just punch you in the face.
Guess thats hard for others to see
Im not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
Im not a trendy asshole
I dont give a fuck if its good enough for you"

From what he wrote, I pressume he's at least 15, LOL.

maxiloader
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Couldn't agree more, RODNEYMULLEN. Still, be easy on the guy

daveyshavocs
05-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Guess thats hard for others to see
Im not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
Im not a trendy asshole
I dont give a fuck if its good enough for you"

Sounds like somebody needs a hug, I wasn't saying that they need to go green day emo, i was just suggesting, they be just a little more up to date not a complete overhaul. Plus, some of the best musicians kept style in mind like the clash and the man in black.

Ps. Im 13 and a half, get it right

Indii
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Some of my friends who are really into Hardcore Punk and DIY and indie labels and stuff always tell me how they hate The Offspring for selling out, being too cheesy, making pop music, or having a rapper in their songs. A few years ago, that really hurt me, because I just loved (and still love) the music. Now I really don't care anymore. But demanding them to be more "trendy" is honestly pretty strange. This band is grown up by now, and many people (including me) have grown up with them. They are luckily far above the need to adopt a new style, changing their clothes to black or growing a mohawk. They really don't need to hide behind any mask.

Unnatural Disaster
05-08-2008, 01:05 PM
What's to update? They look fine.

EDIT: But I will say, Noodles looked better with his black/gray spiked haircut

Macko
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I think Noodles looked great with really short hair..like in Glastonbury '95 :)

ThunderPX
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Sounds like somebody needs a hug, I wasn't saying that they need to go green day emo, i was just suggesting, they be just a little more up to date not a complete overhaul. Plus, some of the best musicians kept style in mind like the clash and the man in black.

Ps. Im 13 and a half, get it right

The fact that you feel the need to add "and a half" says plenty. Also, Noodles had short hair up until Summersonic last year, meaning he actually did update. Do your research.

bouncingcoles
05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
why do you care if they dont look up to date. they look pretty cool for 40 year old guys. at least they dont look like AFI

cool 2 hate 681
05-08-2008, 01:42 PM
at least they dont look like AFI

i can imagine greg k with a jade pudget flock of seagulls haircut

Cock Joke
05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
What do you want them to do? Stand on their heads or pose riding on elephants? Good God! Their photo shoots look frikkin great and I think they all give that "crazy, badass rock" vibe to people. They also say that they're just a regular, traditional band with kickass music! So, c'mon! They're pictures are alright!

Amiralanal
05-08-2008, 01:49 PM
You know what?
Fucky You,Get the fuck out of here.
I bet you run around with girly shoppingbags like the fags on queer eye for the straight guy. The offspring wears what they want to wear, not what you have seen in the latest cosmopolitan.
You are an idiot. You are not a fan.

BuckyO'Hare
05-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I argee that punk attitude rocks.

Edit: Tags.... :D

Cock Joke
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
You know what?
Fucky You,Get the fuck out of here.
I bet you run around with girly shoppingbags like the fags on queer eye for the straight guy. The offspring wears what they want to wear, not what you have seen in the latest cosmopolitan.
You are an idiot. You are not a fan.

Oh yea!!! Right on!

RageAndLov
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
the day offspring starts to have mohawks is the day when amy winehouse gets out of rehab

can't imagine greg with a mohawk XD

drex878
05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Though Noodles' hair is similar to what it was during the pre-Smash era, I think having brown hair makes you look younger than being gray. Both look badass, but I really don't see anything to complain about. If anything he looks better.

Haha, this reminds me of Noodles' appearance change throughout the albums.
In a timeline, it's basically: Long hair, Leopard spot buzzcut, black hair, Defy You's mullet, gray w/ black spikes, gray hair, Long brown hair.

Edit: w00t, 400 posts. It's been a full year since I registered here tomorrow. It's been really exciting tracking this album for a year - man it went by fast.

megadeth
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
so your asking The Offspring to sell out some more?
go fuck yourself kid

you obviously dont know what punk is about

daveyshavocs
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
The fact that you feel the need to add "and a half" says plenty. Also, Noodles had short hair up until Summersonic last year, meaning he actually did update. Do your research.

its called sarcasm you idiot

Amiralanal
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
so your asking The Offspring to sell out some more?
go fuck yourself kid

you obviously dont know what punk is about

I always find it annoying when these kids throw around the term ''sellout''.
You dont sell out because you make money. Its about how far you go to make money.
In the offsprings case, they got popular because people like their music. They cant help making money if people want to buy their records.

Peedr
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
daveyshavocs, I'm sorry, I usually don't act like this but fuck you! Your nickname speaks for itself. If you need a band to ruin their previously good music, go emo and start looking gay then you've got AFI already (and hundreds of other bands). No need for old good The Offspring to run along that fashion!

Amiralanal
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Its about the music, not the clothing. End of fucking story.

dff_punk
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
it looks like their stuck in 1995.

At least someone does! Those were the best days, when music mattered more than what you wear.

Nemesis881
05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Noodles can have long hair if he wants.
The Offspring can be untrendy if they want, and I respect them for being that way.
I'd honestly love to see Dexter in dreads once again. Even if its just a wig for some older songs during a concert :D

RODNEYMULLEN
05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Noodles, if your reading this and get a hair cut because of this thread, i'll be very pissed. Your new hair kicks ass!

jacknife737
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
This thread has a tad too much homophobia for my liking, however to the OP, dont get too hung up on a bands image, theyre in their 40s, they look fine.

Ryder1234
05-09-2008, 12:10 AM
there too punk to do that... :rolleyes:

splinterosaur
05-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't care whatever their image is, but I'd like some new promo pictures of them! :) Or has some been released already? I haven't been in this forum for long so maybe I've just missed it. With a new album coming there's bound to be pictures coming, too, right?

Hypodermic_89
05-09-2008, 07:15 AM
They haven't updated their image because being a band is not about having an image, it's about making fucking music.

Just look at Foo Fighters. You don't get more boring than that. They still fucking rock, though.

iPunk247
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM
The MENS are picture-perfectionist-we're-punk-and-we-don't-give-a-fuck!!!!!

Dragnet
05-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Update their image? WTF? Are they supposed to turn into emos? They should try to make good music and nothing else. I think that task is already hard enough for them.

bouncingcoles
05-11-2008, 03:51 PM
daveyshavocs, I'm sorry, I usually don't act like this but fuck you! Your nickname speaks for itself. If you need a band to ruin their previously good music, go emo and start looking gay then you've got AFI already (and hundreds of other bands). No need for old good The Offspring to run along that fashion!

I agree.....

Marc_Nitschke
05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
image has nothing to do with beeing in a rock band....image is a think for popstars....

the only real attitude for a musician is to be himself and don't care what others think...you have to do everything the way YOU think it is best...THEN you can call yourself an artist....

if you just go with the flow, yor LAME, or end with a bare head in a reha...
('cause going to reha with long hair is less embarassing...i guess....)

but serious, they shouldnt change for the wrong reasons...

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I think it shows strong dedication to stay and sound the same as a band throughout the years. It's still working for them so shut the fuck up =)

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Thats rather ridiculous to say, with all due respect. The Offspring are who they are because of their music, and their image. Why should they change the way they dress and act because their style isn't "in" right now? You know whats "in" right now? Emo and scene and other bullshit like that. If Dexter, Noodles, or Greg started looking scene I would be deeply surprised and disappointed. I don't know about Pete enough yet so I can't say I would be surprised, but I would be disappointed. Also, I hate to say this because it makes me feel like a loser (which I might just be) But I would give my left nut to go back to 95. I hate this time. Seems everything went to hell in 2000. Thats however another story. I'm just saying that I like that the Offspring has kept their image. I like their image. It beats the shit out of Fall Out Boy's image..........(that was just an example, they beat the shit out of almost everyones image in my opinion.)

Conspiracyof1000
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Offspring's image is better than a lot of other band's image. Does anyone really like a band because of the way they present themselves, or because they like the music? Like Dragnet said, look at the Foo Fighters. Boring, but great music. I didn't start liking Offspring, or Green Day, or Sum 41 because I thought the bands were "cute." I liked them because of the music. Basing popularity on image is so...stupid.

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Offspring's image is better than a lot of other band's image. Does anyone really like a band because of the way they present themselves, or because they like the music? Like Dragnet said, look at the Foo Fighters. Boring, but great music. I didn't start liking Offspring, or Green Day, or Sum 41 because I thought the bands were "cute." I liked them because of the music. Basing popularity on image is so...stupid.

Agreed sir. My only argument I'm trying to get past is that I am still glad that I in fact do dig their style. If I didn't, I would still love them as much as I do but it's still convenient.

Conspiracyof1000
05-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Actually, I'm a miss. ;) But I see what you're saying.

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 08:09 PM
The only image change the Offspring should make is have Dexter bring back his cornrows from the Smash days =D

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Fuck yeah man. Agreed 100%.

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Actually, I'm a miss. ;) But I see what you're saying.

Nothing cooler than a girl Offspring fan! Glad you see what I'm saying ;)

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 08:12 PM
The only image change the Offspring should make is have Dexter bring back his cornrows from the Smash days =D

That would be badass! Haha. Thats why I don't know why everyone is ripping on noodles for rocking the long hair again. I like it, reminds me of the old days.

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
That would be badass! Haha. Thats why I don't know why everyone is ripping on noodles for rocking the long hair again. I like it, reminds me of the old days.

Yeah. I love his hair.

Conspiracyof1000
05-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Right after I saw Noodles rockin' the long hair again that was the first thing I thought of. Okay, so maybe an image change (in the right direction) wouldn't be too bad. :D

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Right after I saw Noodles rockin' the long hair again that was the first thing I thought of. Okay, so maybe an image change (in the right direction) wouldn't be too bad. :D

Haha Greg kinda just stayed the same all throughout the 90's and 2000's till now it seems like. Haha.

Conspiracyof1000
05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I think I remember seeing Greg with longish hair once, in a video. I think it's one of the hidden ones on the Complete Music Video DVD. Not positive, though.

Killboy
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
It's not about image, but about music. Plus, they have a lot of money, they don't need to sell theirselves getting an emo image.

BTW, this thread sucks.

cool 2 hate 681
05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I think I remember seeing Greg with longish hair once, in a video. I think it's one of the hidden ones on the Complete Music Video DVD. Not positive, though.

greg k had long hair at the atlanta 93 show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQewk0vYoQo

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 08:58 PM

get outta here, theres hidden videos on the music video collection?! I have the music video collection and I didnt know that. Where are they?

tylercosgrove1989
05-11-2008, 08:59 PM

I stand corrected.

Ryder1234
05-11-2008, 09:06 PM

and on his picture in the Ignition booklet

Ryder1234
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
also he had long hair in the hidden video on CMVC, the one where they're playing get it right

(directions= go to discography, greatest hits, and go to one of the songs (any one) and press left to select the album cover

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-12-2008, 04:54 AM
also he had long hair in the hidden video on CMVC, the one where they're playing get it right

(directions= go to discography, greatest hits, and go to one of the songs (any one) and press left to select the album cover

That's interesting, I never knew that ... I'll give it a try. Thanks for the directions. :D

clocks_R_slow
05-12-2008, 06:46 AM
They're not some trendy emo fucking kids to go with what's modern, trendy and gay, and they look good the way they are. So back off.

i second this

GunForHire
05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Those were the best days, when music mattered more than what you wear.

Fuckin' A man, fuckin' A.

Cock Joke
05-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Can you imagine The Offspring or the Foo Fighters wearing black mascara or any of that shit!? I just have a really hard time picturing that!

dff_punk
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
And now the rest of my day is ruined. Why did you even mention that? :rolleyes:

Drafan
05-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Im gonna eat them at the show at Hradec. Im sure they are gonna look great. Im hungry.

clocks_R_slow
05-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Can you imagine The Offspring or the Foo Fighters wearing black mascara or any of that shit!? I just have a really hard time picturing that!

yeah... it kinda makes me sick to the stomach a little.. but it will never happen :)

BuckyO'Hare
05-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Argeed^^

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sick/sick0012.gif (http://irritable-bowel-syndrome.tumblr.com/)

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM

My question to you daveyshavocs is, why are you an Offspring fan :confused:

A true fan would love the guys just the way they are !!!!! :p

Smash punker
05-14-2008, 01:21 AM
The guy that invented this thread is big fool. I love Noodles cut. Ive got even longer hair than him, cause I wanted braids! :D Id be happy if they wouldnt change their image, but they did. So I completely dont understand this person! :D

Count Orlok
05-14-2008, 02:36 AM
I love the style they have,and i love the fact that Noodles wears long hair again.The most awesome style they had was around the smash-era,imo.
It would be a shame if they changed to some lame emo/pop-rock style like so many other bands.

slade
05-14-2008, 02:42 AM
I hope they don't change their image. Their image is The Offspring.

I love that it looks like they're old guys trying to be young.

Vera
05-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Offspring's image is important but I think that's exactly why it's stayed so much the same all this years. If they put on striped suits and neon-green ties and did some sort of conscious style decisions other than being themselves and wearing what they please, it would seem phony and un-Offspring. And if they were stuck in 1995, Dex would still have dreads.

camilo andres
05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Thank God the havent changed their image. Do you remember a great band like Metallica? or Green Day? They were cool guys and suddenly somebody said hey, change your image! and now look the new Metallica and the New Green Day. By Gods sake, Do You want a NEW OFFSPRING??????

I like'em just like they are, I dont want imagine how they would look in emo style or something...

Cock Joke
05-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Let it be known that this is the funniest tag bar on the BBS thus far!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u287/ZagmenO/tags.jpg

Windextor
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
What would todays image be for a rock band? Only thing I can think of is emo shit. Stuck in 1995? Get a picture from back then and compare it to a picture now. My lord... This is why those bands are so popular.

Manic Subsida
05-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Only thing is that I like Noodles' short hair much, much better. :)

Ill.be.waiting.
05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
yeah...
short and black and white hair for noodles
so much better!

Smash punker
05-26-2008, 07:59 AM
No way! :D

iPunk247
05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
No way! :D

Yes way! :cool:

Aion
05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Green Day became so EMO for changing the looks...now they suck to me...
Offspring is not gonna sell themselves that way...
RODNEYMULLEN i agree with you...chill out anyway... punch in the face..xD!

13 and a half? u shouldn't be listenin to chemical romance or something??...
XD!!!!

Unnatural Disaster
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200/drp000/p096/p09653h83sw.jpg

THE OFFSPRING - 1995

http://www.mp3bud.net/images/photos/Offspring.jpg

THE OFFSPRING - 1997

http://www.europunk.net/pictures/bands/111034729_l%5B1%5D.jpg

THE OFFSPRING - 2003

http://www.punknews.org/images/bands/offspring2008-b.jpg

THE OFFSPRING - 2008

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-29-2008, 06:58 AM
This thread has absolutely no point. They looked awsome back then, they look awesome now and of course, older :cool:. And btw, Noodles' hair looks awesome, and he's exactly old as my dad, and he looks cool this way

i_am_the_bishop
05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
and he's exactly old as my dad, and he looks cool this way

he's the same age as my boyfriend ha ha ha! :)

but i agree, looked cool then, look cool now, no need to change!

Smash punker
05-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Fucking 1995 look rulez! :D