PDA

View Full Version : What's the best generation of music?

OffspringHead
05-08-2008, 01:45 PM
50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or 2,000's.

In my opinion, the 80's blew other than Maiden and Slayer. The 70's and 60's are what started modern day rock and without it, there wouldn't be 465235624563256256256 people today who play guitar. The 90's kinda sucked other than Bad Religion, The Offspring and some old school Death Metal bands. And the 2,000's are almost as bad as the 80's.

mrconeman
05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Every era had its trash and it's awesome music, you just don't realise that because only the good stuff gets remembered as well. Also music didn't start in the 50's. Romantic/Classical/Baroque era music can't exactly just be thrown off like that, seeing as those eras invented music as we know it today.

0r4ng3
05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Every era had its trash and it's awesome music, you just don't realise that because only the good stuff gets remembered as well. Also music didn't start in the 50's. Romantic/Classical/Baroque era music can't exactly just be thrown off like that, seeing as those eras invented music as we know it today.
So really, this is a favorite generation of music thread. In which case I'd go with 2000s.

OffspringHead
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah you're right. I listen to a lot of underground shit from the 90's and 2000's and hate the mainstream music of this time. The mainstream of the 60's and 70's was fucking amazing though.

And i know that the 50's didn't start music. I was just looking at it as more of a rock standard.

coke_a_holic
05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Probably the 2000's, though the 40's and 50's had some of my favorite jazzmen.

Unnatural Disaster
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I like almost all the music from the 1980s-now, but my favorite year in general is 2002 for some reason... a lot of great albums came out that year.

dff_punk
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I gotta go with the 90s.. The Offspring, NOFX, Bad Religion, Lagwagon, Green Day.. and so much other bands, all their best work was released in this decade.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't go by generation, i go by if the music is good or not. I don't really care when it came out. It's easier that way.

Forza
05-09-2008, 01:47 AM
1999 was the best year.

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Offspring - Americana
Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
RHCP - Californication

Yes, it was.

OffspringHead
05-09-2008, 06:52 AM
1999 was the best year.

Offspring - Americana
RHCP - Californication

Yes, it was.
Eh. Californication and Hatebreeder I'll agree with buy not Americana. Americana was fucking amazing but Ignition is always gonna be the best =D

BREAK
05-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Americana was 1998, fools.

2000s has the edge, since they're not over and may yet produce a few more masterpieces. Anyone who says the 80s and 90s weren't full of win needs to do more research.

Bazza
05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't really have a favourite deacade. But I have to say that there was a lot of quality music that came out in the 60s. Then thinking about that I could also say that for most other eras! :confused:

mrconeman
05-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Another thing that really annoys me about the favourite decade thing, is that people seem to forget that bands don't always break up before 10 years. Example: Pink Floyd started in the 60's, but their album in the 90's, for me, would easily count towards making the 90's a better decade for music.

OffspringHead
05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Another thing that really annoys me about the favourite decade thing, is that people seem to forget that bands don't always break up before 10 years. Example: Pink Floyd started in the 60's, but their album in the 90's, for me, would easily count towards making the 90's a better decade for music.

True. But classics live forever. Is someone going to remember The Dark Side of the Moon more or Pink Floyd's 90's album? The answer is Dark Side of the Moon

ad8
05-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I'll go with the 90's. The 2000's are just trashed by stupid mainstream pop, although there was some great music there(Bomb The Music Industry!, Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace(probably, at least I hope so))

H1T_That
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Everyone should pay attention to coneman...

within the time-span of 10 years there can be a whole lot of awesome and an equal amount of fail. Even judging music by the year is far too much of a timespan.

For this topic to have any real meaning, you should have stated some kind of boundaries..i.e genre.

for example, what timespan generated the best punk bands?

Or, what year did the best metal album come from?

Saying that, even those are questions with answers that can have massive debate.

mrconeman
05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
True. But classics live forever. Is someone going to remember The Dark Side of the Moon more or Pink Floyd's 90's album? The answer is Dark Side of the Moon
Which brings me back to the point I made in my first post, it doesn't matter what people remember, there is under and over-rated music everywhere all the time. Darkside being over-rated regardless of how many people think its Pink Floyd's best album, it's not. Not that The Division Bell (the 90's) is either. I'm just saying.

OffspringHead
05-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Which brings me back to the point I made in my first post, it doesn't matter what people remember, there is under and over-rated music everywhere all the time. Darkside being over-rated regardless of how many people think its Pink Floyd's best album, it's not. Not that The Division Bell (the 90's) is either. I'm just saying.
That's an opinion. This whole thread is about opinions not fact.

Scotty2Hotty
05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
What a bunch of Douche Bags! I hate when closed minded people try and discuss music like they know what they're talking about! All music is great! Even the shitty music!!! Cause if there was no shitty music we wouldn't have the great music and bands that we have presently that you retards like! Underground wouldn't exist if there wasn't lame bands posing off for corporate America! So for someone to say that there is only one generation, one genre, one band that has the right stuff is just down right ignorant!!! Did any of you fools know that The Offspring did a cover of The B-52's "52 Girls"???...I bet a lot of you oh so "cool" "underground" retards hate the B-52's but the fact that still and will always remain true is that until people open their minds to other types of music other than their "awesome" bands let alone band! You have no right to speak let alone talk shit on any other music cause until you know you don't! I on the other hand think that every generation has had break through artists over the years and have modivated millions and millions of douche bags such as yourselves to get up and think they can play music! A quote from Mike Muir...A.K.A. Cyco Mike! "Just cause you don't understand what's going on...don't mean it don't make no sense, And just cause you don't like it...don't mean it ain't no good, And let me tell you something, Before you go taking a walk in my world...you better take a look at the real world!"...I would keep going cause his lyrics are just so indepth, but I just wanted to show you that being narrow minded is just the most pitiful sight to ever see so before anybody goes tearin' shit down or trying to make "your" "Cool music" that much more above the norm try referencing some knowledge otherwise you just look like a....what was the word I used???.....oh yeah! DOUCHE BAG!!!!! And for the dude with the Ignition comment!...Right on buddy! I'm right behind you on that one! Although since I first discovered The Offspring with their SMASH album I consider that to be their best album ever but that's if I had to only pick one! All their albums have a little something that everyone can relate to! That is why they're as popular as they are otherwise they'd be like the band LIT...which I hope you late 90's lovers can remember since you all swear you know whats up!

Unnatural Disaster
05-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Chevelle - Wonder What's Next
Disturbed - Believe
Seether - Disclaimer
Trapt - Trapt
The Vines - Highly Evolved
The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious
Audioslave - Audioslave
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Three Doors Down - Away From the Sun
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Foo Fighters - One By One

Plus that was the year Defy You by The Offspring came out.

coke_a_holic
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Hilarity

Hilarity.Hilarity.

OffspringHead
05-10-2008, 09:29 AM
And for the dude with the Ignition comment!...Right on buddy! I'm right behind you on that one! Although since I first discovered The Offspring with their SMASH album I consider that to be their best album ever but that's if I had to only pick one! All their albums have a little something that everyone can relate to!
Amen to that =D

T-6005
05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't know, I thought mainstream music really dropped after the 1810s.

djchopdogfresh
05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Well... given that Glam Metal is my favourite genre, I'm gonna say the 80s. No bands since them have the sense of fun that the likes of Motley Crue, Guns n' Roses and Warrant had. Also, this was the dawning of heavy metal as we know it today. Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. Just don't mention Slayer, they're a disgrace.

OffspringHead
05-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Just don't mention Slayer, they're a disgrace.

You can get shot for a statement like that =p. Haha. I love Slayer.

Aight Then
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
In my opinion, music just gets better as time goes on.

OffspringHead
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
In my opinion, music just gets better as time goes on.

And this is from a kid who said

I actually find listening to Green Day to be more fulfilling than listening to The Beatles. I think their lyrics are better and their songwriting is less repetitive. I don't think American Idiot is all that great either, but I would easily take an album like Nimrod or Dookie over Sgt. Peppers or Abby Road.

WebDudette
05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Now is this 'Generation my favorite music came from' or 'Generation with the highest good to bad ratio'?

I'm going to go with number 1 and say the 00's. Sure there is a fuck ton of shitty music but most of my current favorites are from the 2000's.

Afi
Give up the Ghost
The Blood Brothers
Yeah Yeah Yeah's
mewithoutYou
Some Girls
Das Oath
Daughters
xbxrx
Black Eyes

The list goes on and on.

maplejet
05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
The 90s in terms of rock and stuff...maybe for hip-hop as well. The worst is probably the 80s due to the high amounts of hair metal and pop metal...but don't get me wrong, there were tons of good bands there too...Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Metallica, and Megadeth...it's just that rock became a parody of themselves.

H1T_That
05-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Are you a total fuck-wit?

By saying he would rather listen to Green Day over the Beatles backs up his point that music gets better as time goes on..

This is like the 4th or 5th time i've seen you act like a total faggot for no reason and come across as though you think you're better than certain people.

Alex101
05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
1999 was the best year.

Offspring - Americana
RHCP - Californication

Yes, it was.

1994 was also the best year. There were lots of great releases at the time.

The Offspring - Smash
Green Day - Dookie
NOFX - Punk in Drublic
Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
Rancid - Let's Go
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Weezer - s/t
KOЯN - s/t
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Beck - Mellow Gold
Helmet - Betty
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Meat Puppets - Too High to Die
Down By Law - Punkrockacademyfightsong
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
311 - Grassroots
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Aight Then
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Why not say Madonna > Elvis Presley and be done with it, hmm? This is tantamount to saying "I know best" instead of just emitting preferences...

Is it really that ridiculous of a statement? In this day and age, Elvis' music sound old-fashioned and out of place. I'm not saying he was a bad musician, just that I find Madonna much more enjoyable to listen to because of the time we are in. You can do the same thing with video games; Pac-Man or Pong weren't bad games for the time, but they are pretty much unplayable today because of everything else that is out there.

Smash punker
05-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Late 60īs and the unbelievable 70īs!!!!!!!!! :D

coke_a_holic
05-13-2008, 02:02 PM

To be fair, you have an Anal Cunt icon. And yet you're judging peoples' music taste.

BREAK
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll respect someone who prefers Green Day over the Beatles way more than the other way around. I don't agree with him at all, but at least it shows some attempt at individuality.

It's like wow, "Beatles > Green Day" congratulations how original.

GBH2
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I'll respect someone who prefers Green Day over the Beatles way more than the other way around. I don't agree with him at all, but at least it shows some attempt at individuality.

It's like wow, "Beatles > Green Day" congratulations how original.

individuality should not be confused with idiocy.

to answer the question of the thread, it has to be the part of the seventies and most definitely the early eighties. the refinement of punk rock [which is either oxymoron or paradox], the advent of goth, it has it all.

Aight Then
05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I think the Beatles have more technical skill with their instruments, but I think Green Day puts a higher focus on entertainment. And influence doesn't really make you good. The truth is, The Beatles pretty much started EVERYTHING. So, are you always going to consider them the greatest, of all time, forever? I don't consider Pong the best game ever. And I do think that enjoyment = quality. Music is entertainment, and I enjoy Green Day more than The Beatles, so I think they are better then them. What else is there to say?

StefanDBH
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
For me the best music years is 90-95,years of grunge. That period description grunge bands like Nirvana,Pearl jam,Alice in Chains,Soundgarden... And punk's bands like The Offspring publish Smash(best punk album ever,1994) also Green day let Dookie(1994)...
By the way that is only my thinking...:)