PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead meaning?

OffspringHead
05-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Is there any known lyrical meaning behind it released yet? Or did i just completely miss that train?

GunForHire
05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
No, there hasn't been a 'Dexter on...' for Hammerhead yet, maybe after release but I wouldn't count on it.

If we're going to get into it, if it hasn't been done to death already, Hammerhead makes me think of a soldier, which is pretty obvious from the lyrics, trying to justify his actions, but the last part of the song reminds me of someone doing a school shooting, simply because of the lyrics.

Could be way off with either of those though, but I'm sure there are some folks on here who've deciphered the meaning.

jacknife737
05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Dexter has stated in an interview (sorry, i don't have the link off hand) that the track is about school shootings. Just flip through a couple of the older threads about Hammerhead, the song meaning has been discussed pretty much in depth.

Rave21
05-12-2008, 03:24 PM
its about having a hammer for a head...duh

keonii7
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I think I'd actually be alright with the song being about angry Hammerhead Sharks. Because then it could be like a metaphor or something.

Then again, Dexter's message that people need to chill out and not shoot other people, especially when there's a real war going on makes a good punk song.

Nemesis881
05-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like the inner thoughts of a bipolar person or something to me. They are all good and content with the world they live in..next thing you know, he's shot up the school because he realizes the truth of his life.

thats pretty deep but idk, thats what i get out of it. Songs can have many different meanings depending on who you are.

Cock Joke
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Dexter says it's about a school shooting and Noodles says it's about a crazy guy who says he's doing the world a favor. "I believe I'm serving a greater good." Straight from the song.

Noodles went onto say that the guy realizes that he is not doing a good deed towards the song's end. But I don't think I hear that in there.

Marc_Nitschke
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
In a french interview, Noodles said that the song was about a crazy guy who thinks he's serving a greater good and hears voices in his head. He thinks he's on a mission. He arrives with his guns to shoot students in a classroom.

yeah i read this one too...

IamSam
05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Jim and Jacknife have it right.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I thought the song was about kinda like what goes on in a soldiers head. Thats what i picked up from hearing it.

IamSam
05-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I thought the song was about kinda like what goes on in a soldiers head. Thats what i picked up from hearing it.

No. Not at all.

danitanev
05-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't know about you guys but about me there is very special meaning of some of the parts of "Hammerhead"! Actually I realized that this morning while I was thinking about the things I've done yesterday! Yesterday I came home from work and I was hungry, so I opened the fridge's door looking for something to eat and I had no idea what's there behind the door /"Through this doorway what's on the other side?"/ cause I never bought something /poorness/, like food /or else/, but my sister does! I can just cook something if there's stuff to do that! So I was feeling like "Damn what am I heading for?" I can't explain it better it's a long story and my english is not the best, so I hope I don't sound like dumbass! But really /"Through this doorway what's on the other side?"/ I have no idea if there it'll be or not something behind the fridge's door tonight when I'm back home! Damn I'm a weirdo!

Ryder1234
05-13-2008, 12:21 AM
so Hammerhead is about food...
:D jk

danitanev
05-13-2008, 01:46 AM
so Hammerhead is about food...
:D jk

Yep! Food!:D

Jesus
05-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Jim and Jacknife have it right.

Kablooey

IamSam
05-13-2008, 07:17 AM

Kablooey

Haha...oh god...not that guy.

Jesus
05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
shame he never posted an interpretation of half-truism :(

Bacterium
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
every time someone brings up kablooey I can't help but laughing out loud.
too bad that wasn't the real lyrics for hammerhead.

rlplaymaker
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Dexter has stated in an interview (sorry, i don't have the link off hand) that the track is about school shootings. Just flip through a couple of the older threads about Hammerhead, the song meaning has been discussed pretty much in depth.

Im pretty certain, its about a soldier in the Army, whos been trained to believe that what he is doing is for the best,
" I'll take your life so others may live" is the mentality of the soldiers.
Deep down he knows its wrong, and he doesn't necessarily like it " I shut my eyes, it hammers in my head"
So he has some inner-anguish that he hates how hes over there killing people, however its also been pounded into his head that there is no other way, that is the right way, and he needs to do it.
And as for the end, I'm wondring if Dex based that off a real event, maybe a US soldier who shot up a school overseas maybe, I dont know....

Regardless, I think we can all agree, this single is badass. I CANT WAIT TO HEAR THE STUDIO VERSION OF 'TRUST IN YOU'!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellhound
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
This is completely offtopic, but...
OffspringHead, a great avatar! I finally got to see Anal Cunt live last year, it was, well, original. Hitler was a sensitive man.

Iamstupid
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
OK, can someone explain me the kablooey thing ? XD

And rlplayer, I think you'r a bit wrong on solider's mentality. Their mentality is more like "I serve my country". And being a soldier isn't a full-time killing job. They may help citizens sometimes by re-building roads and all. They may also be sent in a country to keep it from war. It's sure they kill people but it's not only what they do.

Also Noodles said it was a "guy" in the song, if it were a soldier, he would have precised it, imo, because it's not a minor detail.

When you talk about Dexter basing his song on a real event whom happened overseas, which "sea" do you mean ? Well I'm not sure if I making sense in my previous sentence, but I mean that school shootings are more typical of America, as far as I know. I've never heard about school shootings in other countries, apart from terrorists, but they act on religious purposes so it's not like in america whither school shooters act under the influence of drugs or alcohol or simply & generally because they're mad.

But as you said, hell yeah, Hammerhead rocks !!!

The fridge's door theory deserves more interest that you guys can imagine. I'm sure Dexter once woke up at night and went to the fridge but found nothing to eat. And Hammerhead was then created.

NotTheOne_NL
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah for me the same, also the hammerhead's single artwork reminds me of a soldiers patch.

medi01
05-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Hammerhead is all about school shootings

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springishereagainkk2.jpg

rlplaymaker
05-13-2008, 11:01 AM
OK, can someone explain me the kablooey thing ? XD

And rlplayer, I think you'r a bit wrong on solider's mentality. Their mentality is more like "I serve my country". And being a soldier isn't a full-time killing job. They may help citizens sometimes by re-building roads and all. They may also be sent in a country to keep it from war. It's sure they kill people but it's not only what they do.

Also Noodles said it was a "guy" in the song, if it were a soldier, he would have precised it, imo, because it's not a minor detail.

When you talk about Dexter basing his song on a real event whom happened overseas, which "sea" do you mean ? Well I'm not sure if I making sense in my previous sentence, but I mean that school shootings are more typical of America, as far as I know. I've never heard about school shootings in other countries, apart from terrorists, but they act on religious purposes so it's not like in america whither school shooters act under the influence of drugs or alcohol or simply & generally because they're mad.

But as you said, hell yeah, Hammerhead rocks !!!

The fridge's door theory deserves more interest that you guys can imagine. I'm sure Dexter once woke up at night and went to the fridge but found nothing to eat. And Hammerhead was then created.

point taken, the school shooting to me just doesn't make any sense with the lyrics though. " I am the one, camo and guns, risk my life to keep my people from harm" " I sacrifice with my brothers in arms" " Locked and loaded, voices screaming lets go....here we go" "stay the coarse, risen up a force, i believe i serve a greater good" "smoke and dust, enemies are crushed, nothing left were a man once stood" "but im just doing what i'm told"
"and then, a biblical passage, which was referenced in times of danger, if you're the shooter and a school shooting, why would you think that? Just my two sense, it doesn't seem like a singular person on a mission. But i guess we'll have to wait til' Mr. Holland reveals it.

rlplaymaker
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM

oh, well I'll be damned

Jesus
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM

Pfff, you and your facts.

Rave21
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I was also thinking school shooting, but now im just confused.........i wonder whats on the other side of my fridge door

Windextor
05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
To me the song seems like its about a soldier trying to justify his actions in war.

Could be wrong. Probably.

edit: Oh shit i am wrong, haha

2L8IW1N
05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Actually since this is pretty much a "2 part song", I believe both halves have different meanings, but are connected. And the 'confusion' part is both halves kind of have lyrics about the character the other half is speaking about.

confusing I know, but read:

The first half is about a soldier, who is going to war, thinking he "serves a greater good". Such as an American going to another country and say you're supposed to be living like us, we are perfect, so I'm going to kill your government so you can re-form and be like us...

The second half shows what that soldier is defending... We have our own crazy people in our own nation that are terrorists. These kids that go into schools so mad at the the "world", so dissatisfied with their own lives, that they go through. The first half of the song has some reference to this though, "through the doorway, whats on the other side. Never knowing exactly what I'll find, voices screaming lets go - come on do it here we go". Meaning these kids go into classrooms guns blazing not even knowing who they're shooting or why.

The best part of the song:

"Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me" Actually a biblical reference here. The Bible teaches to not be afraid of the ones who can only destroy your body. It is only God that can destroy your soul.

But then the confused student shooter takes over again - "Locked and loaded, gonna find my truth" - Kids that do this are confused about their life, they don't know who they are or what they want. they are pretty empty inside. "Now I'm busting through, all hell breaks loose" - They're going through that door and creating hell on the other side, with students hiding under their desks screaming "teacher come help me". This however COULD also be another biblical reference, as Jesus was a 'teacher' to so many.

Of course Dexter is the only one who knows the true meaning behind his lyrics. But I'd like to think I have a pretty strong idea behind it as I write deep lyrics as well :)

IamSam
05-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow...a lot of you need to learn how to read threads instead of blabbering about how you think you are right. Both Noodles and Dexter have stated what the song was about...in fact:

Mods: Can we sticky a single post about the meaning of Hammerhead with the links to the Noodles and Dexter interviews so that we can stop these evil shenanigans?

2L8IW1N
05-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow...a lot of you need to learn how to read threads instead of blabbering about how you think you are right. Both Noodles and Dexter have stated what the song was about...in fact:

Mods: Can we sticky a single post about the meaning of Hammerhead with the links to the Noodles and Dexter interviews so that we can stop these evil shenanigans?

They've said in general what its about. My explanation just took it a bit further :)

ChickenChaser
05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Does anyone have a link to the french interview with Noodles? I've seen it before but lost the link

NotTheOne_NL
05-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, nice description

It's ironic that the American soldier is fighting in the middle east "for a greater good", while in the U.S these shootings appears. In your own neighbourhood....

Actually since this is pretty much a "2 part song", I believe both halves have different meanings, but are connected. And the 'confusion' part is both halves kind of have lyrics about the character the other half is speaking about.

confusing I know, but read:

The first half is about a soldier, who is going to war, thinking he "serves a greater good". Such as an American going to another country and say you're supposed to be living like us, we are perfect, so I'm going to kill your government so you can re-form and be like us...

The second half shows what that soldier is defending... We have our own crazy people in our own nation that are terrorists. These kids that go into schools so mad at the the "world", so dissatisfied with their own lives, that they go through. The first half of the song has some reference to this though, "through the doorway, whats on the other side. Never knowing exactly what I'll find, voices screaming lets go - come on do it here we go". Meaning these kids go into classrooms guns blazing not even knowing who they're shooting or why.

The best part of the song:

"Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me" Actually a biblical reference here. The Bible teaches to not be afraid of the ones who can only destroy your body. It is only God that can destroy your soul.

But then the confused student shooter takes over again - "Locked and loaded, gonna find my truth" - Kids that do this are confused about their life, they don't know who they are or what they want. they are pretty empty inside. "Now I'm busting through, all hell breaks loose" - They're going through that door and creating hell on the other side, with students hiding under their desks screaming "teacher come help me". This however COULD also be another biblical reference, as Jesus was a 'teacher' to so many.

Of course Dexter is the only one who knows the true meaning behind his lyrics. But I'd like to think I have a pretty strong idea behind it as I write deep lyrics as well :)

TRUSTpunk
05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I believe you're correct about Hammerhead. Virginia Tech probably had something to do with the inspiration of the song because Dexter describes parts that talk about it. The news talked about students hiding behind their desks while the shooter when on a rampage. First part is a soldier defending our country, and the second part is a crazy guy trying to find his truth as a killer.

holland25
05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow, some really old-school members whom I never saw posting start to post again. That's pretty cool. :cool:

TRUSTpunk
05-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I guess I haven't posted here in a while. lol. I might as well start since a new album is on the way. :cool:

Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace [June 17]