PDA

View Full Version : American action Cyclone in Myanmar and Earthquake in China

OffspringHead
05-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I have no idea which news channel I'm watching but this guy is talking about how we're $53,000,000,000,000 (53 trillion) dollars in national debt and these two events are going to increase that number drastically if we go in for the type of relief we went into with the Indian Tsunami of 2004. AND If we go into extreme relief for these countries oil prices will go up about $7 more a barrel.

What are your thoughts?
Do we worry about our own economic issues or go into these countries?

Vera
05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm not an American so I won't be commenting on their money spendage, though I'll say don't believe everything you hear on the news; 53 trillion sounds like a ridiculous exaggeration. "This guy on the news" is not necessarily speaking facts - everybody knows what type of bullshit these 24/7 news channels spin to fill their time. News sources from last week have US promising to send 200,000 and possible additional aid. France is sending 300,000.

Regardless of how money they're sending, honestly, it is needed. These people probably had little to begin with, and now a lot of them have nothing but dead family members (death toll is what, over 90,000) and an authoritarian government. Any aid they get now is to help to remaining survive - they can't probably even start talking of re-building the country, and that process is going to take years. South-India, Thailand, those areas still have not recovered from the tsunami, and I'm pretty sure New Orleans still bears markers of the Katrina horrors.

Just because it's far away doesn't mean it's measly.

Just checked Wikipedia, it says US is giving 16.5 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Nargis#Other_relief_efforts

Next to the lives of tens of thousands, I really couldn't give two shits about the price of oil. (Europe is btw still paying MUCH more for oil than US.)

OffspringHead
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not an American so I won't be commenting on their money spendage, though I'll say don't believe everything you hear on the news; 53 trillion sounds like a ridiculous exaggeration. "This guy on the news" is not necessarily speaking facts - everybody knows what type of bullshit these 24/7 news channels spin to fill their time. News sources from last week have US promising to send 200,000 and possible additional aid. France is sending 300,000.

Regardless of how money they're sending, honestly, it is needed. These people probably had little to begin with, and now a lot of them have nothing but dead family members (death toll is what, over 90,000) and an authoritarian government. Any aid they get now is to help to remaining survive - they can't probably even start talking of re-building the country, and that process is going to take years. South-India, Thailand, those areas still have not recovered from the tsunami, and I'm pretty sure New Orleans still bears markers of the Katrina horrors.

Just because it's far away doesn't mean it's measly.

Just checked Wikipedia, it says US is giving 16.5 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Nargis#Other_relief_efforts

Next to the lives of tens of thousands, I really couldn't give two shits about the price of oil. (Europe is btw still paying MUCH more for oil than US.)
Yeah it is an exaggeration. http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

I figured it was an exaggeration but i was just recording what i was hearing on the news. 9 Trillion is still A LOT. And it's been going up 1.6 billion a day for almost a year now.

I know Europe is paying more for oil. The prices of oil are so ridiculous. Apparently (Idk how much truth is behind this) Venezuela is paying 5 cents a liter of gas. That's fucking RIDICULOUS. And i believe in the middle east gas is 75 cents a gallon. It's just hitting 4 dollars here in the U.S. I think its almost 5 bucks in Europe right?

And that 16.5 million can change very quickly. 16.5 million is only a morsel of what is needed to aid these countries.

I honestly think we should help them out a lot. Human beings are human beings but i also think it's un-wise to go overboard with the spending over there. I don't think China would be so supportive to us if we suffered like that. We are a superpower and countries may think we don't need the help. But the 9 trillion in debt shows that we could use as much help as we need. Especially if you expect us to help you.

OffspringHead
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html

Venezuela- .14 cents per gallon. And the middle east is under 2 dollars.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-14-2008, 08:07 AM
It really says something when thousands upon thousands of people die and you lot are worried about oil prices. Jesus.

Mota Boy
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I have no idea which news channel I'm watching but this guy is talking about how we're $53,000,000,000,000 (53 trillion) dollars in national debt and these two events are going to increase that number drastically if we go in for the type of relief we went into with the Indian Tsunami of 2004. AND If we go into extreme relief for these countries oil prices will go up about $7 more a barrel.

What are your thoughts?
Do we worry about our own economic issues or go into these countries?Those numbers are so wrong it makes my head hurt. And who the hell is so dense as to believe the US would give money to help a foreign country to the tune of trillions of dollars? Drastically increase a number like 53,000,000,000,000? What do you think that we're going to do, move all the Burmans to the Moon where they'll be safe? The aid we give will be a dewdrop off a flea's ass into the very large bucket that is US debt, and people like that asshole you mentioned will still bitch and moan about it as if they actually care about the US debt one moment, then turn around and whine that their taxes are too high the next.

And cite sources next time.

OffspringHead
05-14-2008, 11:05 AM
It really says something when thousands upon thousands of people die and you lot are worried about oil prices. Jesus.

I never really gave an opinion. I was asking for opinions. And I agree with you anyway so chill.

H1T_That
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah Dave, chill.

lol, anywayz..

economical debt is fuck all when compared to the loss of human life.

So by giving aid you'll be further in debt, but who gives a fuck when you're helping re-build someones shattered life.

F@ BANKZ
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Agreed .
Edit: ^Agreed^

OffspringHead
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Those numbers are so wrong it makes my head hurt. And who the hell is so dense as to believe the US would give money to help a foreign country to the tune of trillions of dollars? Drastically increase a number like 53,000,000,000,000? What do you think that we're going to do, move all the Burmans to the Moon where they'll be safe? The aid we give will be a dewdrop off a flea's ass into the very large bucket that is US debt, and people like that asshole you mentioned will still bitch and moan about it as if they actually care about the US debt one moment, then turn around and whine that their taxes are too high the next.

And cite sources next time.
*sigh* like i said in a previous post, I was recording what i heard so i would remember to make a topic about it.

Mota Boy
05-14-2008, 05:24 PM
*sigh* like i said in a previous post, I was recording what i heard so i would remember to make a topic about it.First off, that doesn't make any sense - you wrote down what you heard and made a topic... so that you would remember to make a topic about it? Are you saying that we can expect another topic on this later? That this one doesn't count because it's your rough draft? Either you mistyped and your words don't make any sense or you typed correctly and your train of logic isn't making any sense.

And as I said in my previous post - what you heard was so stupid that you should not have even bothered to repeat it as if it were a legitimate point worth discussing in the first place. By making a topic for discussion, you in some form seem to believe that the opinion is a valid one worth discussing, when, as I've said, it is nothing of the sort - it is so utterly and thoroughly wrong that to even think of it is a waste of time. If you saw someone on television say "Maybe we should round up all the redheads in the country and use them as slave labor to build a bridge to the Moon, after all, gingers are mindless automatons and the Moon is made of solid gold" would you bother to ask other people for their opinions on it? Well, then again, you did make the Zeitgeist topic...