PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead video contest

PunksKillEmos
05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
discuss your thoughts

hshduppsnt
05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
hmm interesting... Dunno if i have the time to do a good job on this but I'm certainly interested...

forget the prize - but man if something I did actually was included in some way? that'd be ridiculously awesome

PunksKillEmos
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
i might enter in a video

jacknife737
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
For those who don't visit the main page.

Hammerhead Video Contest Announcement
(05/14/08) The Offspring have created a YouTube group as a gathering place for fan created video clips set to the new song “Hammerhead“ (lyrics at bottom).

“We are excited to see what people will do to add their perspective and talents to ‘Hammerhead.’” – Dexter Holland

Be creative. Be current. Be literal. Be abstract. Use your own self-shot/documentary footage. Find the right footage for your voice. Share your experiences. Use this as another way to tell your own story. Whatever makes sense to you to make the best video you can.

The band will pick their favorite from the top rated videos and award prizes as follows: – Grand Prize Winner: $10,000 (picked by band) – Most Viewed Submission: $3000 – Most Favorited Submission: $2000

No rules, except these: – Please do not use any videos/photos of The Offspring in your video. – No length requirement, you can use as little or as much of the song as you like. – Acceptance of the submission agreement required.

hshduppsnt
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
hmm most viewed eh?

so it seems it would have to be good enough so that later against top rated videos people would still watch it but put it up early and it may be the only video people watch...

interesting balance there...

DMelges
05-14-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a great idea. i'm gonna try and make a video, but I have no idea what to do.
Don't want to make the video completely about school shootings. Needs to be about a guy who does what he believes is right.

hum. let's see what'll happen. :cool:

EMehl6
05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Someone needs to make a video using hammerhead sharks and/or hammers in some way.

drex878
05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Someone needs to make a video using hammerhead sharks and/or hammers in some way.

Like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBA7A41ERM) Who ever made this has talent. Their youtube account name is hardestmeat, I wonder if they're a member of the BBS. I'd definitely submit that if I were you.

Cock Joke
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Well fuck me in the ass and call me Petunia! I will most certainly consider this!!!

IamSam
05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm on this like white on rice.

yelloweyeyes
05-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBA7A41ERM) Who ever made this has talent. Their youtube account name is hardestmeat, I wonder if they're a member of the BBS. I'd definitely submit that if I were you.

I don't see the talent. They just took clips of hammerhead sharks with the song hammerhead in the background.

brothadave79
05-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't see the talent. They just took clips of hammerhead sharks with the song hammerhead in the background.

A true visionary, he was able to see past the entire meaning of the song!

:rolleyes:

RonWelty
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
the offspring are really trying to make this album epic... nice!

yelloweyeyes
05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I really wish I had knowledge in 2D animation, because I have some really good ideas for this.

Jebus
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
pfft...only $10k? They gave away 1 million dollars in 2000 for simply downloading Co1 off their website. Now we gotta do something to earn it and get way less. Cheapskates!

Hypodermic_89
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't even have a fucking camera.

Superdope
05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Ah, for fucks sake! It's only for U.S. residents... :(

RobinoZombie
05-15-2008, 12:51 AM
as always then!;)

SaiKYoU
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
and this is when i regret not learning flash a couple of years ago when i had the chance...

holy fuck...

RageAndLov
05-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Open to U.S. residents only.

What the fuck!? Why? I pay the shipping of the money if that's the problem!!

Jesus
05-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Hmm awarding cash for most added favourite of most viewed isn't the smartest idea (cheating). Although the TOS probably covers that I guess...

Pretty cool competition though!

Orange County
05-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Will the winning video bee the official video?

Jesus
05-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Will the winning video bee the official video?

No

Orange County
05-15-2008, 03:07 AM
No

Thats good then :p

Motaboy80
05-15-2008, 04:14 AM
This is good way to make people hear this song. Watching many different versions of Hammerhead-video with same song of course. GOOD MARKETING!

I had to hear it like 5 times after i felt that "WOW! This is GOOD!"
You´ll find that inner Hammerhead :cool:

zsk
05-15-2008, 04:18 AM
hmm
i made a great video,but it's with the offspring
i think it would be great,but it's not regular by the rules,pity!:(

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=vNSQgD5ub_Q

Motaboy80
05-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Ah, for fucks sake! It's only for U.S. residents... :(

Sh**!

So we (europeans n beyond) can make just cool videos to youtube without any price.. I´ll bet our videos are still better than the video of contest winner. :D

splinterosaur
05-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Woah, the prize money is decent too! I'd participate if I were US resident. Hopefully we'll see some creative ideas there. No idea how many are going to do something, but the less the better for those who do, more chance for winning.

brothadave79
05-15-2008, 06:00 AM
What the fuck!? Why? I pay the shipping of the money if that's the problem!!

The Offspring are against outsourcing.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Fair enough for talented fans from other parts of the world.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Probably has to do with legal issues.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Explaining why would be very nice for those who cannot be part of it.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
It's been always like this since Americana.

Anyway, has anyone been able to join the channel?

brothadave79
05-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Explaining why would be very nice for those who cannot be part of it.

They're giving away thousands of their own money. I don't think they owe anyone anything.

Bazza
05-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Dear Offspring
Pleeeaaasseee open this competition to people from outside of north America
Yours Sincerely
Bazza
;)

Biggest offspring fan
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
They can't, due to leagal issues...

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 08:06 AM
They're giving away thousands of their own money. I don't think they owe anyone anything.

Well, I think they should say something. It doesn't matter if it's their own money. Fans are fans. Period.

offspringing
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
oh man im sooo gonna make a mgs video

Bazza
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
They can't, due to leagal issues...
Due to what legal reasons though? If it's Columbia or Sony who are causing issues then why can't they run the competition throught their European arm of the company, and likewise for other regions etc. I really don't see how there can be legal reasons, it makes me sad :(

F@ BANKZ
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Well I was going to participate, but it's clear that the band doesn't want my support or care for fans leaving it only for the US.

Ps. :p

oh man im sooo gonna make a mgs video
There's already one for Crossroads, but it rules so make another. I'd use a mixture of all of the games.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Due to what legal reasons though? If it's Columbia or Sony who are causing issues then why can't they run the competition throught their European arm of the company, and likewise for other regions etc. I really don't see how there can be legal reasons, it makes me sad :(

There are loads of tax laws regarding prize money, and they only get more complicated when you try to factor in sending that prize money overseas, nevermind the expense of sending a $10K check with confirmable delivery to any random point in the globe.

Bazza
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
There are loads of tax laws regarding prize money, and they only get more complicated when you try to factor in sending that prize money overseas, nevermind the expense of sending a $10K check with confirmable delivery to any random point in the globe.
Ok I understand. But surely they could just say no prize money for outside the US. Personally I'd enter regardless of if prize money was available, I'd do it purely for the kudos should I win.

RageAndLov
05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
is it possible for a european to be in the contest, ene if he/she wouldn't get any money?

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Ok I understand. But surely they could just say no prize money for outside the US. Personally I'd enter regardless of if prize money was available, I'd do it purely for the kudos should I win.

*shrug*

Sorry, dude. Maybe Sony of (your native country here) will hook it up in your area?

Jesus
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM

You guys still use cheques? That has to be the reason then! ;) Seriously I don't think that's the reason, cause they could just wire the money over. And they could have included Canada too for the money prices if that was the reason.

Your first reason is one of the correct ones i think. Different taxation in different countries. And also customs for outside the US and obviously different age requirements in different countries. This is even the case within the EU.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
is it possible for a european to be in the contest, ene if he/she wouldn't get any money?

Yes I think so, because on this site it states:

PLEASE NOTE: This is a TWO step entry process. 1) Uploading your video to the group. 2) Registering your video in the contest via the entry web page.

So if you don't register your video via the Columbia Records page it can't win any money, but it is still included on the hammerhead group channel.

Dexter_italy
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM

did you read the rules?? it seems not...go and check 'em out....
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

Bazza
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
*shrug*

Sorry, dude. Maybe Sony of (your native country here) will hook it up in your area?
Maybe or maybe not. Oh well.

BTW I've sent an inquisitory email to Sony USA as to why this is the case (mainly out of curiosity). It'll be interesting to see what the response is/if I get one.

jeffhollers
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Anyone makeing a Hammerhead video.
Realy consider that this just may relate well to The Unitedstates Airborne.
I know I would love to see a video based on that.

Amedha
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Wow, now I'm surprised. That's my video and I'm so glad you liked it.
But in fact it was made just for fun, and to tell everybody about their new album. (And a bit because I love sharks.)
I think something more serious needs to the contest with "own self-shot/documentary footage" as the information page says. Plus, sadly I'm not a U.S. resident...
Anyway thanks for the nice words. :)

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
You guys still use cheques? That has to be the reason then! ;) Seriously I don't think that's the reason, cause they could just wire the money over. And they could have included Canada too for the money prices if that was the reason.

There's a charge associated with sending and receiving wires--like $20 or $30 base domestically, and I think it goes up to a percentage for higher amounts. It's at least $10 to receive a wire here. Also, not everybody likes to part with sensitive information like their bank account numbers to third parties.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 01:56 PM
There's a charge associated with sending and receiving wires--like $20 or $30 base domestically, and I think it goes up to a percentage for higher amounts. It's at least $10 to receive a wire here. Also, not everybody likes to part with sensitive information like their bank account numbers to third parties.

Holy shit, no wonder you guys are falling behind in technology. Wire transfers are free within the Eurozone, even between countries.

Amedha
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
but hammerhead sharks have nothing to do with the meaning of the song...
it would be comical I guess but a bit superficial

The vid isn't supposed to have anything to do with the meaning, like I said, it was made just for fun.

Lord_Gabo
05-18-2008, 12:06 AM
no video??:confused:

Conspiracyof1000
05-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Damn, I'd love entering this contest, but first I'd have to find a modern video camera, then a computer capable of handling the camera, then a place with faster internet...I'm such a whiny bitch. :p