PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring unfinished projects

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Maybe this will help make things happen. This is the 3 things that never got done:

1)Dirty Magic re-recorded

2)Dexter on the song

3)Pass Me By

I will post the sources for each below.

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Dirty Magic re-recorded.

Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06

Last week I went out of town to meet with a guy who might produce our next record.
I thought it went really well. Right now we‘re just kind of in that mode of figuring
out what the next record is gonna be like, and writing songs.
Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?
The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums.
That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get
from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most
people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but
that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it.
It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Dexter on the song: lightning rod winner.
We've been waiting for 3 years...

Source:

Vote For The Song You Most Want Dexter To Write About Next. Whatever Song Receives
The Most Votes Will Be Our Next "Dexter On The Song". After A Song Is Selected And Written About, We'll
Remove It From The List And You Can Vote For Your Next Selection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by administrator; 03-30-2005 at 03:57 PM.
03/30/05

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Pass Me By

Remember on Smash at the end, we could hear Chage the world as a hidden song, then we could
hear the full version on the next album. I thought the same would happen with pass me by but, no.

Source:

Dexter talks about the New Album [Part 2] (Web Dude)
04/2/03

[Plays new song]

[D]: Kind of a slow rock song that kind of like…well, I like it a lot. I‘ve called it ‘Pass Me By‘.
I don‘t know what it‘s going to be about. You got 5 minutes? [laughs]

[WD]: Yeah, I want to check this one out. It sounds like Denial, Revisited a little.
It‘s really hard rock with beefy guitars.

[D]: It‘s kind of spooky. I like this lead part a lot. It‘s one of those songs where
I‘ve played it for people and they‘ve said maybe you could shorten it or something but I kinda‘ like
it the way it is and I figure it‘s not necessarily gonna‘ be on the radio and not all songs need to
follow a real strict pop single format. And to a certain degree you‘ve got to let a song write itself.

[WD]: Yeah, there‘s no formula that you just plug stuff into, right?

[D]: Not really, and it just seems like there are spots in that song where it just called for certain things.
It‘s a 5 minute song, but I think that it‘s good the way it is.

This might be the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utghAJdkfI but nobody can confirm it

RageAndLov
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
ye.. what shall we do about them? nag? :P

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
...the only one of those three things that we were definitively promised is the Dexter on the Songs update, right?

JohnnyNemesis
05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
My guess is that the new Dirty Magic and Pass Me By just doesn't fit into the flow of the new album or anything else they've released lately. And if that's the case, I'm glad we haven't heard them yet and I'd be happy to wait for the right time. Maybe they'll make appearances on a soundtrack? Compilation? Free mp3 on the site? Who knows. Just wait and hope, and accept the fact that we might not get them at all and that's okay (even though I think we WILL get them).

I bet if the Internet was the way it is now back in 1992, there would be a million "HEY! WHY ISN'T MISSION FROM GOD on SMASH?!?!" threads, heh. But you just gotta wait for the right time...

jacknife737
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm still holding out for a b-sides/rarities comp; but i'm not going to lose any sleep over not hearing those tracks anytime soon.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't think we really need to "demand" much, cause they've been given us quite a lot to bitch about: Hammerhead, artwork, cover, competition, etc. Although they do that leading up to every record. A new Noodles journal would be nice though.

Only thing that might have been better over the years, is if they would have used offspringnation better.

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Smash And Ignition Reissues
(05/15/08) On June 17 Epitaph Records will reissue 1992’s Ignition and 1994’s Smash.

The Ignition and Smash reissues have been digitally re-mastered from the original tapes, and Smash features a new 24 page booklet. The re-issue release date of June 17th coincides with the release of The Offspring’s brand new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

maybe the dirty magic re-recorded will be on ignition remastered.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't care about DM. We've had enough. I'd rather see them working on old songs to play them live. That could be great.

Like Johnny, I'm only going to wait for the right time to listen to Pass me by.

About "Dexter on Song? Like everybody else, this is the only thing that matters right now. It could be awesome to have the new CD followed by this reviews. Would that be too much to ask of him?

slade
05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
What's Dexter on the song?

JeromeFleur
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Well maybe Dexter does't have much interesting things to say about lightning rod...

When he wrote about beheaded, it was about an anecdote when he was writing it. Staring at the sun, it was about the lyrics that he thought were particurlarly great...

LR is a great song, but what would he say about it ?

Remember one of dexter's studio journal : "Yes, we‘re still recording. We‘re in the studio right now. But everybody wants news, right? Even when there‘s no news? Well, okay, even though there‘s nothing new to report, we came up with some news… please enjoy our not-really-news newspost."

My guess is that it's kind of the same... he doesn't really have something to say about LR...

RODNEYMULLEN
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Smash And Ignition Reissues
(05/15/08) On June 17 Epitaph Records will reissue 1992’s Ignition and 1994’s Smash.

The Ignition and Smash reissues have been digitally re-mastered from the original tapes, and Smash features a new 24 page booklet. The re-issue release date of June 17th coincides with the release of The Offspring’s brand new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

maybe the dirty magic re-recorded will be on ignition remastered.

I doubt it. Becuase epitaph records is rereleasing them, and they havn't been with them since smash. But dexter seemed exited telling us about the Dirty Magic rerecording so i think he will release it somehow.

Blackball_
05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
this thread should have started and ended with the words "offspring nation"

crrrN
05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
What's Dexter on the song?

This confirms they've definately let the fans down on that promise =P

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Well maybe Dexter does't have much interesting things to say about lightning rod...

When he wrote about beheaded, it was about an anecdote when he was writing it. Staring at the sun, it was about the lyrics that he thought were particurlarly great...

Remember one of dexter's studio journal : "Yes, we‘re still recording. We‘re in the studio right now. But everybody wants news, right? Even when there‘s no news? Well, okay, even though there‘s nothing new to report, we came up with some news… please enjoy our not-really-news newspost."

My guess is that it's kind of the same... he doesn't really have something to say about LR...

They are the ones who puted that poll up.

randman21
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM

I would agree with you about most songs, but I think there's a lot to say about "Lightning Rod". But I could only care a little less about Dexter on Song.

ruroken
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Dirty Magic is the best Offspring song and the only one besides Vultures that I still adore. I would blow the whole band for that re-recording!

sebastienfan
05-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Its no big deal, its just that they mentioned it once then thats it. thats why I called this thread unfinished projects. I would have not ask for the meaning of the song in first place but they actually ask four our vote... what can we expect? a Dexter on the song about the winning song.

Anyway, I just hope someday we can hear pass me by and dirty magic re-recorded. its more important for me than a song meaning. I already have my own interpretation of the song.

Lightning Rod
05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
This might be the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utghAJdkfI but nobody can confirm it
I Think This Is (Can't Get My) Head Around You Demo....Dexter told about another song..

PS
This Is A Nice Thread...
For Shame :( :( :( they didn't finished the work)
They Don't Like Us(((

:)

randman21
05-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I Think This Is (Can't Get My) Head Around You Demo....Dexter told about another song..

PS
This Is A Nice Thread...
For Shame :( :( :( they didn't finished the work)
They Don't Like Us(((

:)
The thing we believe is "Pass Me By" is at the end of that clip, remember?

Lightning Rod
05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
ohhhhhhh......i just never watching it till end))....but intro is CGMHAY.......i like second part of clip...interesting music..it's kinda more "NON-OFFSPRING" song!

randman21
05-15-2008, 10:11 PM
ohhhhhhh......i just never watching it till end))....but intro is CGMHAY.......i like second part of clip...interesting music..it's kinda more "NON-OFFSPRING" song!
Hahaha. So you've never heard this? Like, ever?

Lightning Rod
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
like never and ever))))

randman21
05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, everybody's been nutting all over this song for at least the 3 years since I've been here. It's just funny to think that you haven't heard it, as many times as the link has been posted. I love it.

Anyway, I'd be willing to wait an eternity to hear "Pass Me By" as long as I know I will indeed hear it at some point.

sebastienfan
05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
the thing is we dont even know if this song is really pass me by. it could be another one.

randman21
05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, this is what's news to me. I'd always thought that it was confirmed to be "Pass Me By". Whatever it is, I want to hear it.