PDA

View Full Version : Smash and Ignition Reissues

Hypodermic_89
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
(05/15/08) On June 17 Epitaph Records will reissue 1992’s Ignition and 1994’s Smash.

The Ignition and Smash reissues have been digitally re-mastered from the original tapes, and Smash features a new 24 page booklet. The re-issue release date of June 17th coincides with the release of The Offspring’s brand new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

Interesting. I'm thinking about bying the Smash-reissue only for the booklet.

Tijs
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
June's going to be an expensive month for me. I'll buy all three albums.

jacknife737
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm probably going to give in and pick these up. And I need a new copy of Ixnay, since its scratched and doesn't play Change The World anymore; not to mention i should pick up a new copy of Americana since my booklet is in piss poor condition. I'm going to be broke just buying Offspring stuff alone; let alone the several other new cds i need to pick up this summer.

bighead384
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I wonder what changes they're going to make...

I know the bass is too loud on Ignition, so I guess they'll change that. I've always thought some of the vocals could be more clear on Smash, like in Come Out and Play. It's gonna be interesting to hear what they change.

ThunderPX
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't think the bass is too loud on Ignition. It's too soft on Smash though. But they're not remixing the record, they're remastering it. I'm just hoping they'll fix the clipping issues in places on Smash.

slade
05-15-2008, 12:38 PM
This makes it 2 albums to buy in June.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 12:54 PM

I know how it feels. Alanis' newest is also coming in June (10). Two CDs to be exact. I'm so fucked up.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, same here. At first i was opposed to the idea of rereleases and i am still, but i couldn't not buy them. I way to fucking curiouse.

bhg_rulz2
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
(05/15/08) On June 17 Epitaph Records will reissue 1992’s Ignition and 1994’s Smash.

The Ignition and Smash reissues have been digitally re-mastered from the original tapes, and Smash features a new 24 page booklet. The re-issue release date of June 17th coincides with the release of The Offspring’s brand new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

nice =D, your thoughtS?

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
My thoughts consists solely of "I wants"

nameless
05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
should be good! it will be interesting to see whats in the booklet!

F@ BANKZ
05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm running out of things to say on the subject: I want them, I'm buying them, I'm going to listen to them.

shanna_guarana
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I think that a thread about remastering thing already exist.....it was active 3 weeks ago as I remember.....

F@ BANKZ
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
This is a responce to the news from the website.

Nemesis881
05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
rise and fall is my first priority for next month. But I'm certain I will buy these not long after that :D

K0rN b4LL
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't believe this man, I just ordered a copy of Ignition from FYE. Now I gotta see if I can cancel it and reserve a copy of the remastered version. Still psyched though, just venting a bit. I always seem to have terrible timing with these things.

ruroken
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm going to buy that Ignition reissue. The sound quality of the original always bugs me a little bit. It sounds so much different from the rest of their recordings and its so noticeable. So I'm really excited for this. I just hope they don't fuck up like Depeche Mode did with "A Broken Frame" :(

The Art of Drowning is to AFI what Ignition is to The Offspring. Were both albums recorded in the same studio?

Ristifer
05-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Can't wait to get the Ignition remaster! My original copy is so scratched it isn't funny. I just bought Smash and Ixnay again for the same reasons, so I don't need the Smash remaster.

So RFRG and Ignition remaster, then Judas Priest's new album all on the same day. I better get some moneys.

ThunderPX
05-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the way Ignition sounds but not the way Smash sounds? :P

disclaimer_07
05-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Am I the only one who really likes the way Ignition sounds but not the way Smash sounds? :P

The overall sound quality seems better on Ignition, that clipping on Smash makes it sound a bit worse.

gemalto
05-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Boy, they sure know how to milk you kids.

NotTheOne_NL
05-16-2008, 04:45 AM
The overall sound quality seems better on Ignition, that clipping on Smash makes it sound a bit worse.

what do you mean with 'clipping' ?

gemalto
05-16-2008, 04:48 AM
what do you mean with 'clipping' ?

I think he is refering to the digital clipping which can be heard on some songs. This happens when you have a too loud output in the mix. They didn't boost it properly.

Lord_Gabo
05-16-2008, 05:10 AM
rise and fall is my first priority for next month. But I'm certain I will buy these not long after that :D

.................me too...

Devidence
05-16-2008, 05:34 AM
I love those albums the way they are, but the extra Smash stuff sounds interesting. Anything new besides the mastering on ignition?

If nothing else, maybe it will get more people to buy Ignition...

HeadAroundU
05-16-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm not gonna buy it. :d

weezly
05-16-2008, 06:29 AM
now, do not doubt my love for this band, they got me through a lot of tough times, ive been a fan since i heard smash i own every album, i wanna be a noodles ndm ibanez for sentimental reasons, i come on this site 20 times a day while they record there new album even though there was minimal updates, but i gotta say, i hate ignitions sound quality, so much so i hardly listen to it, smash is ok but ive always thought this would be AWESOME to do this!! ill buy all three on the release date!! im lving this

jimmyjam
05-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Interesting. I'm thinking about bying the Smash-reissue only for the booklet.

im def gonna get the ignition reissue. is there extra tracks on either of the reissues???

jimmyjam
05-16-2008, 07:14 AM

im prob only gonna buy em if there is extra tracks on either. is there??? they should put at least 2 on each....i think. i do want the new ignition. but why buy something ive heard 4 the last 16 years???

jimmyjam
05-16-2008, 07:15 AM

im prob only gonna buy em if there is extra tracks on either. is there??? they should put at least 2 on each....i think. i do want the new ignition. but why buy something ive been jammin 4 the last 16 years when i already own it???

Orange County
05-16-2008, 07:55 AM
How do you go about identifying the difference between the old one and the new one in the stores, look at the small print?

Or is that a silly question

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm going to buy that Ignition reissue. The sound quality of the original always bugs me a little bit. It sounds so much different from the rest of their recordings and its so noticeable. So I'm really excited for this. I just hope they don't fuck up like Depeche Mode did with "A Broken Frame" :(

I really like how the bass is too loud on Ignition. I think changing it would require a remix rather than just a remaster, but the EQ and everything could change. I dunno. I'm just excited to hear.

How do you go about identifying the difference between the old one and the new one in the stores, look at the small print?

I'm sure they'll put a sticker or something on it to let us know which is which.

F@ BANKZ
05-16-2008, 09:30 AM
When the idea was first put forward, it was scathed by a lot of people. I don't know if it's the effect anticipation or not, but now everybody seems eager to hear these. They'll probably attract some criticism, but fans did request this, and Ignition in particular could definitely have elements improved by remastering. They should really put these up for free download in my opinion; they may well do.

disclaimer_07
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I think he is refering to the digital clipping which can be heard on some songs. This happens when you have a too loud output in the mix. They didn't boost it properly.

Yea, clipping may occur either when the sound intensity is greater than the microphone capacity or it may result from improper mastering. Hopefully it's the second one in the case of Smash.
I also wonder if they have Dexter's voice as separate tracks for each song. That would surely produce better results.

ThunderPX
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Yea, clipping may occur either when the sound intensity is greater than the microphone capacity or it may result from improper mastering. Hopefully it's the second one in the case of Smash.
I also wonder if they have Dexter's voice as separate tracks for each song. That would surely produce better results.

They did record the vocals seperately from what I understand (Dexter mentions stuff about recording Smash a few times on the GH DVD) but I'm not sure if they'll use it since they're remastering and not remixing.

randman21
05-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Can someone point out a specific place in Smash where clipping happens? I've never noticed it before.

Also, will stores automatically have these reissues? Big stores like Best Buy, I mean.

EDIT: Fascinating. I always thought it was magic how most professional songs get so loud "without" clipping, while mine can't. Now I see...

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
A lot of people don't notice it because it's really everywhere.

More about this phenomenon as part of the "Loudness Wars" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

disclaimer_07
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
It is everywhere indeed. I won't lie if I say that you can hear it in every single song from Smash. Guess the only track in which there's no clipping is Time To Relax.... I wish the quality of Dexter's vocals were equally good.

RageAndLov
05-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Coincidents my ass!!
the re-issues of Smash and Ignition have been ready for over a year, and Epitaph is just waiting to release them when Offspring is going to be popular again because they release the new album.

I'll probably buy at least the Smash because of the new booklet thing :)

The thing that makes Smash so good is the rough sound of the band plucking on the strings and gliding up and down the neck

I hope that won't be replaced with that clear Columbia sound they have now :(

Count Orlok
05-19-2008, 03:31 AM
I won´t buy them in the next few months.
1.I love the way both records sound as they are,no changes required.
2.I´m out of money in June.

But maybe i´ll buy them later,if they get a bit cheaper,the booklet is a good argument:cool:

shanna_guarana
05-19-2008, 04:06 AM
I still think that the remstering thing is a stupid idea....I won't buy them...

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Time to get this thread up? Well. Where can we buy tese two reissued CD's?

Free?
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
amazon.com or try to google it.

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
amazon.com or try to google it.
Oh, yeah. Look at this.

Old Ignition: http://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Offspring/dp/B000001IP0/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213287613&sr=8-8
New Ignition: http://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Offspring/dp/B0017V7H6Q/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213287531&sr=8-48

Old Smash: http://www.amazon.com/Smash-Offspring/dp/B000001IPL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213287613&sr=8-3
New Smash: http://www.amazon.com/Smash-Offspring/dp/B0017V7H70/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213287531&sr=8-46

I don't know if it's just Amazon, but if you look, the new Ignition CD has a darker cover than the old one.
And the new Smash CD is brighter and better quality than the old one.

..'caus someone here asked how we are gonna see the difference of the new and the old Ignition and Smash in the stores.

GunForHire
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Think I might pick these up, bought Smash and Ignition off iTunes but the quality isn't so hot, plus I'm interested to see how these two sound.

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Think I might pick these up, bought Smash and Ignition off iTunes but the quality isn't so hot, plus I'm interested to see how these two sound.
Yeah. Btw, when bans are reissuing...do they take the tracks and just make it better with the technology/computer, or are they playing all the songs all over again?

Yeah, I'm noob at this.

Capricorn4
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah. Btw, when bans are reissuing...do they take the tracks and just make it better with the technology/computer, or are they playing all the songs all over again?

Yeah, I'm noob at this.

I guess they just do it with computers.

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I guess they just do it with computers.
Ok. Yeah, that's good. 'Caus Dexter voice has changed a bit after all those years (and no, that's not negative), so it wouldn't be the same if they just play all of it over again, if you see what I mean.

Capricorn4
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok. Yeah, that's good. 'Caus Dexter voice has changed a bit after all those years (and no, that's not negative), so it wouldn't be the same if they just play all of it over again, if you see what I mean.

Exactly,and they have a new drummer who have a different style.

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Exactly,and they have a new drummer who have a different style.
Yeah, that too. :)

oh_strange_one
06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
i wasnt going to bother buying them as i love both albums they are ace as they are but after reading all posts i'm tempted now but still not totally sure oh wot to do wot to do?!?! HELP

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 01:55 PM
i wasnt going to bother buying them as i love both albums they are ace as they are but after reading all posts i'm tempted now but still not totally sure oh wot to do wot to do?!?! HELP
I would. Much more enjoyable to listen at. :)

oh_strange_one
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
lol just pre-ordered both at amazon god its like christmas 3 offspring cds in a week i feel so naughty !!!

Manic Subsida
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
lol just pre-ordered both at amazon god its like christmas 3 offspring cds in a week i feel so naughty !!!
Ahahah, you did? Well, congrats. Good to support the band! :D

bighead384
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM
What songs in particular do you think would really benefit from remastering?

I think Come Out & Play would sound a lot better with remastering, especially since it's still played on the radio. I think they could make it sound more powerful than it is, and make the vocals more clear. Also, anyone ever notice that Self-Esteem is noticeably quieter than the rest of Smash? I always have to turn up the volume when I play that one.

MaF
06-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, they (?) them(?) Oh my! How to say! Ok, Smash & Ignitation are the best of 'em but still.... what for? I already got 'em... and others if they even want 'em they may download it... maby the sales would be raised by youth that bought new album and wanted 2 listen to some more... so they would be amazed :D

P.S. Sorry... it will sounds better? Better that it is... See no point. They r awesome =) I don't want my grandad (if i had one) sounds more powerful or cooler.

TRUSTpunk
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I already pre-ordered both of these releases, along with "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace."

bighead384
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Smash is already the best selling independent album of all time, and this will only further increase the sales. I don't know by how much, but it definitely will sell another million. There's pretty much no way that record will ever be broken. Actually, it's damn near impossible to break any album sales records nowadays, since everyone just downloads for free.

oh_strange_one
06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
i dont think that they will be better than originals but i am curious as to what they will sound like which is why i pre-ordered them i shouldnt really have no space for more cds ... but ahhh wot the fuck lol

gtrman09
06-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I talked to Mr. Brett today and he told me that nothing is going to be different (as in, no new songs or bonus content) :( but the re-issues will sound much better than the originals. much louder and more clear. plus he said there will be stuff that originally couldnt be heard in the background, like extra effects and stuff that we'll be able to hear now!

btw I met him at Guitar Center in Hollywood today and i asked him about the re-issues.

Budzy
06-13-2008, 03:13 AM
i wouldnt mind a S/T re-issue
the ones on my computer is horrible quality. especially blackball. i practically get siezures from listening to all the funny noises going on. cant wait til i pass age 22. then i wont be able to hear that funny sounds anymore. lol
ill get smash.
but ignition im not sure about.
the flat sorta sound makes ignition.

Smash punker
06-13-2008, 05:01 AM
I think Come Out & Play would sound a lot better with remastering, especially since it's still played on the radio. I think they could make it sound more powerful than it is, and make the vocals more clear. Also, anyone ever notice that Self-Esteem is noticeably quieter than the rest of Smash? I always have to turn up the volume when I play that one.[/QUOTE]

Vocals more clear? Hell no! :D I love the original quality of sound. It makes it more punx! And without that, it wouldn´t be a S.M.A.S.H. as we know it!

oh_strange_one
06-13-2008, 05:32 AM
I think Come Out & Play would sound a lot better with remastering, especially since it's still played on the radio. I think they could make it sound more powerful than it is, and make the vocals more clear. Also, anyone ever notice that Self-Esteem is noticeably quieter than the rest of Smash? I always have to turn up the volume when I play that one.

Vocals more clear? Hell no! :D I love the original quality of sound. It makes it more punx! And without that, it wouldn´t be a S.M.A.S.H. as we know it![/QUOTE]

agree with u on everything there man enough said lol

holland25
06-13-2008, 05:40 AM
LOL, you don't know how to use[/quote]

Smash punker
06-13-2008, 05:54 AM
LOL, you don't know how to use[/QUOTE]

Don´t know how´s that possible. I quote that, but don´t know why it turned out like that! :D Doesn´t matter.

Free?
06-13-2008, 08:12 AM
:D Hahahahaha :D A neverending story of abusing [/quote]

dff_punk
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Hahaha, one of the biggest tru punx wants his favorite record to sound more commercial! With clearer vocals :D This is great!

EDIT: Oh fuck, this is really messed up, seems like Smash punker didn't write it. Fuck the quotes!

Fall-children
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
it won't have a whort-buying difference

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
So where can we buy the Re-issues now?

oh_strange_one
06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
So where can we buy the Re-issues now?

i bought mine on amazon for £7.99 each ! :p

if you want it right this very second i havent got a clue:)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
i bought mine on amazon for £7.99 each ! :p

if you want it right this very second i havent got a clue:)

With Amazon, you actually get the CD right... Or do you just get the tracks...?

I want the CD, not just the songs... lol

oh_strange_one
06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
With Amazon, you actually get the CD right... Or do you just get the tracks...?

I want the CD, not just the songs... lol

yeah they post u the cd's i shop with them all the time they quite good i'm hopefully recieving my cd's today or tomoz :p

Selfesteem_
06-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Theres another thread on this with pics and reviews in it too. worth having a look, sorry didnt get the link.
Doesnt seem like anyone has come accross the 24 page booklet yet, the aussie and europe versions only have 7 pages.

Beheaded
06-17-2008, 01:11 AM
sorry didnt get the link.
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33099&page=2

Hyper nova
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33099&page=2

These two threads should be merged

ad8
06-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Theres another thread on this with pics and reviews in it too. worth having a look, sorry didnt get the link.
Doesnt seem like anyone has come accross the 24 page booklet yet, the aussie and europe versions only have 7 pages.

WHAT? Fuck! I want a 24 page booklet, too:mad:
And I already ordered Smash~~

Smash punker
06-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Hahaha, one of the biggest tru punx wants his favorite record to sound more commercial! With clearer vocals :D This is great!

EDIT: Oh fuck, this is really messed up, seems like Smash punker didn't write it. Fuck the quotes!

No I didn´t! I did the answer. I´m surprised you didn´t see that bro! :D And fuck da quotes! :D

GunForHire
06-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Went out and bought them both yesterday - haven't had a listen yet, but I'm sure it'll piss all over the crappy quality versions I had before :)

JoeBassK
06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
I wonder what changes they're going to make...

I know the bass is too loud on Ignition, so I guess they'll change that. I've always thought some of the vocals could be more clear on Smash, like in Come Out and Play. It's gonna be interesting to hear what they change.

I think the growling tone and volume of the bass on Ignition is part of what makes it such a classic album. Greg K. being pictured on the cd (from the photo in the booklet) only fuels my bias to the awesomeness of his sound.
Anyone agree that the bass work on RAFRAG has shown some amazing growth musically?

bighead384
06-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Anyone agree that the bass work on RAFRAG has shown some amazing growth musically?

Seems to be about the same skill level to me. To be honest, I don't think The Offspring have any interest in writing more technical songs. They've gotten more accurate over their career, but not more technical. I guess that's one factor in my "tru punx bitching" about RFRAG, even though I really like it anyway. I would have liked to see them write some fast, technical shit, sort of like A Wilhelm Scream.

medi01
06-22-2008, 02:58 AM
...just dwnloaded the smash remastered album....definitely not worth $10...its hardly different, it was worth a listen, but i really wouldnt advise buying it, the original was fine how it was!

disclaimer_07
06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
There's really no point in remastering Ignition. I am serious. Unless they use magic to separate Dexter's voice from the music. That's the main problem with Ignition - his vocals are too quiet. And there's really no efficient way to change that. All they did with Ignition was applying so called "loudness" so as to increase the overall volume, say, by 3 dB or something. They also added high frequencies, I'm not sure if they added some more bass, 'cause I guess it was perfectly fine the way it was. And there's actually NOTHING more anyone else can do. If I had his vocals in one track and the music in another, I would be able to make it sound perfect. I'm not sure how songs were recorded in the early 90s, but let's face it, we are all equally helpless now when it comes to remastering.

Beheaded
03-11-2009, 03:47 AM
For collectors:
Ignition and Smash will be released on colored vinyl on 10th of march (yesterday). Cool.:cool: