PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Track on Japanese RAFRAG

Jesus
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Like the last albums, the Japanese version will include a bonus track. But this times it isn't a remix or live song. The bonus track is *drumroll*:

O.C. Life

Source (http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/International/Arch/ES/TheOffspring/m_info.html)

Although the site doesn't say it's a cover, I think it's gonna be a cover of OC life by The Adolescents/D.I.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Too bad "OC Life" now is The Hills. But seriously, OMG that would be like totes hot. ;)

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
And then again the Japanese get it. What if we all stopped bying stuff and let only the Japanese buy them?

:rolleyes:

Biggest offspring fan
05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds awsome, to bad its only for japan...

Blackball_
05-15-2008, 12:29 PM
And then again the Japanese get it. What if we all stopped bying stuff and let only the Japanese buy them?

then you wouldnt have any stuff. lol.

japan gets bonus shit from every band..ever. its not a surprise and it is expected. thats just the way it is! "death, taxes, japan getting lots of cool shit." its not just the offspring and its not just this album. people should stop getting excited about these things.

ad8
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope the european and american fans are also going to have some bonus tracks on their versions. If not, I'd be quite disappointed. I mean, they should rather give a bonus version to the american fans because america is where it all started and where they have most fans, I guess. To me, all this publicity stuff for the japanese people looks a bit like a saleswhoring attempt. You know, in Japan there is a big number of potential fans so just make them think that the band likes them more so that they'll buy the new album. Anyway, I'm pleased to hear about a new bonus song.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
There are other ways to get it ;). Might be that this is the b-side on one of their singles too.

Jesus
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope the european and american fans are also going to have some bonus tracks on their versions. If not, I'd be quite disappointed. I mean, they should rather give a bonus version to the american fans because america is where it all started and where they have most fans, I guess. To me, all this publicity stuff for the japanese people looks a bit like a saleswhoring attempt.

Nah European and American fans just get more live shows. Which is quite a good trade off to be honest ;).
All the bands do it with the Japs, it's only one song (splinter and greatest hits had more). Most bands usually add 4 or 5 (live) songs.

Bah I shouldn't have posted that it would have an extra track, you people complain about everything.

Blackball_
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
To me, all this publicity stuff for the japanese people looks a bit like a saleswhoring attempt. You know, in Japan there is a big number of potential fans so just make them think that the band likes them more so that they'll buy the new album.the offspring are HUGE in japan. to put it into perspective about equality, in a normal big touring year the offspring will play what.. 70 shows in the US? they will normally play 20 or so in europe? and single figures in japan(which has the 2nd biggest music market on the planet-behind the US.)

these things even out.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 12:43 PM
then you wouldnt have any stuff. lol.
japan gets bonus shit from every band..ever. its not a surprise and it is expected. thats just the way it is! "death, taxes, japan getting lots of cool shit." its not just the offspring and its not just this album. people should stop getting excited about these things.

Yeah, I know. It happens to my two other favorite bands. But I thought one of them could do something different for a change.

in Japan there is a big number of potential fans so just make them think that the band likes them more so that they'll buy the new album. Anyway, I'm pleased to hear about a new bonus song.

Question (I don't understand very well about it): Only in Japan are there potential fans? Are they the only ones who spend money with th band?

There are other ways to get it ;). Might be that this is the b-side on one of their singles too.

Probably paying a lot of money on Ebay? That's something I don't understand. Japanese get a lot of good stuff and end up seeling them overseas. Potential fans? Yeah, right.

jacknife737
05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Please don't ask me to source this, but i remember Allan Cross (a Canadian music historian/ radio personality/ music nerd) saying on his program history of New Rock that places like Japan get bonus tracks since the "North American" import sells for much lower prices there; thus they stick a bonus track on the Japanese version in an attempt to get Japanese fans to purchase that version.

Edit: anyways, i'm still super stoaked for the Bonus track.

Blackball_
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
^ true.

japan version in japan costs around 40% more than the US version in japan.

crazy times!

Jesus
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Please don't ask me to source this, but i remember Allan Cross (a Canadian music historian/ radio personality/ music nerd) saying on his program history of New Rock that places like Japan get bonus tracks since the "North American" import sells for much lower prices there; thus they stick a bonus track on the Japanese version in an attempt to get Japanese fans to purchase that version.

Edit: anyways, i'm still super stoaked for the Bonus track.

Could be yeah. For what it's worth, it's probably cheaper for me as a consumer to import the album from the US than to buy it here in a shop in Belgium (including shipping). Just not that convenient. Now if you do that on a massive scale as a store (and the profit margin is bigger than you get on your local cd's)... in most of Europe it's pretty much illegal for retailers to do this. But if this isn't the case in Japan.

Probably paying a lot of money on Ebay? That's something I don't understand. Japanese get a lot of good stuff and end up seeling them overseas. Potential fans? Yeah, right.

No by just downloading the song. I really don't consider it bad to download stuff that isn't even for sale in your region.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM

I'm very glad you posted this, because it's true.

See guys? There is a good reason for pretty much everything that might not seem immediately and transparently fair to you. I hope more people will think about things like this in the future instead of immediately reaching for the "complain" button. I'm really excited to hear their version of "OC Life"!

Jesus
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
from: http://www.melodicrock.com/industry/insidestory.html

Just why are bonus tracks featured on certain releases? Even better, why is it that almost every Japanese release features an extra track or two?

The most frequently asked question I get is in regards to the Japanese bonus track issue.
After all, just about every Japanese release includes a bonus track. Why is this so?
Well, this situation goes back a long way and is a little more complicated.
To start - Japanese record labels still hold a lot of power. Not as much as a few years ago, but still, they can still shift a lot of copies of albums and are an important enough factor in most deals. In some instances, the advance from a Japanese label is vital to the overall deal in recording an album.
So, the labels have demands and they must be met. Why? The Japanese recording industry is a deregulated market. That means that anyone can sell anything from anywhere.
Record shops and wholesalers do not have to buy locally manufactured product from the local record labels.
As is well known, the Japanese CD price is very expensive - even for locals. Stores are free to source cheaper imports - from the USA and from Europe.
In the USA, if stores did this, the labels would cut them off at the knees! It was the same here in Australia for many years until recently. Back to that in a minute...
With cheaper imports available on the market, the Japanese labels add extra's to the local releases to entice consumers to buy their product. It works so well, these same labels end up exporting units to overseas collectors.
So, these labels add one, two, sometimes more bonus tracks, add special photo booklet's, stickers, guitar picks, expanded cases, special packaging and all of the above to ensure the local pressing is the one in demand.
They also have one other major trick up their sleave. They can and do enforce and advance release over other territories.
Generally, the label deals in Japan have a clause that stipulates that their release date (of any given album), must be at least four, sometimes 6 weeks in advance of any other territory. (this was before the whole mp3 thing, now it's a few days)

Jesus
05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm really excited to hear their version of "OC Life"!

Indeed, cause we were getting a bit off-topic ;). I hope they recorded more covers like during CO1.

Camilamazed
05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, thank you for that. Now I understand it.

Peedr
05-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, that's amazing! I'm really looking forward for it if it's D.I. cover (and even if it's not). Thanks for letting us know, Jesus. :)

dff_punk
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Has anyone actually considered that it could maybe be their own song? Yep it is much more than possible that it is gonna be the Adolescents cover. But keep in mind that Fix You is also a Coldplay song and they made a song with the same title.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Has anyone actually considered that it could maybe be their own song? Yep it is much more than possible that it is gonna be the Adolescents cover. But keep in mind that Fix You is also a Coldplay song and they made a song with the same title.

Covering the Adolescents is far more likely than them ever covering Coldplay, and keep in mind the bonus track on the Co1 LP was "80 Times" by TSOL so there's a precedent for them to cover their favorite 80s punk songs.

dff_punk
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Yea I kinda know that. It is 90% that it will be the cover. But it was not mentioned anywhere, so, we cannot be really sure.
On the other hand, a cover of that song is still pretty cool.:cool:

Jesus
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah could be, but if you listen to the original D.I. song it's sounds like something Offspring would cover. Whether it's a cover or a new song. I'm not gonna complain.

Wow, that's amazing! I'm really looking forward for it if it's D.I. cover (and even if it's not). Thanks for letting us know, Jesus. :)
No problem, just checking the internets for updates. There is also an interview about the new album with Dexter and Nooldes in the latest issue of Rock Sound.
http://www.rocksound.tv/articles/1237/Issue-109---May-08.html

dff_punk
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
No problem, just checking the internets for updates. There is also an interview about the new album with Dexter and Nooldes in the latest issue of Rock Sound.
http://www.rocksound.tv/articles/1237/Issue-109---May-08.html

That sounds great. Pity the interview is not online... or I cannot reach it.

Cock Joke
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Piss! USA had better get something!

Jesus
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
That sounds great. Pity the interview is not online... or I cannot reach it.
Nope, I pm'd a Brit with a request to buy it and scan it and post it ;). I hope he/she is nice, rich and equiped enough.

Piss! USA had better get something!
Yeah poor Americans, only getting a US tour.

Amiralanal
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Fact of the day:

In the 21th century, improved communications such as the internet, phones and fax, has made it possible to JUST ORDER IT FROM JAPAN!

Peedr
05-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Fact of the day:

In the 21th century, improved communications such as the internet, phones and fax, has made it possible to JUST ORDER IT FROM JAPAN!Totally. I don't know why Americans are so pissed. I, for example, got a Walla Walla single and The Offspring t-shirt from Japan. No problem.

hshduppsnt
05-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Too bad "OC Life" now is The Hills. But seriously, OMG that would be like totes hot. ;)

hahahahahaha

eh looks like I also need to get an imported copy of the japanese album to get the extra song.

IamSam
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Totally. I don't know why Americans are so pissed. I, for example, got a Walla Walla single and The Offspring t-shirt from Japan. No problem.

Because they are the fucking stupid ones. Not all of us are idiots that require to be spoon fed from a silver platter.

JohnnyNemesis
05-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't mean to be a dick, but in the age of the Internet and filesharing, complaining about not getting a bonus track on our version is fucking stupid. You can just buy the song from the iTunes Music Store most likely...

Besides, it's just smart to put bonus tracks on albums in certain countries...

IamSam
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
You can just buy the song from the iTunes Music Store most likely...

Not quite true. Huck It isn't available on iTunes.

sneedo
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM
You guys should be used to this by now, at least it's the offspring a world famous band, I've had to order CDs from Japan just because it was a lesser known band and they put two exclusive tracks on their Japanese release, I think it's a label's decision since the band members knew nothing about these bonus tracks, they were just studio sessions that weren't good enough to make the cut on the main release, but it's still awesome to hear.

jimmyjam
05-16-2008, 06:36 AM

i agree. i heard that they do that because its cheaper for them to buy our version even over there. so they put extra shit on there to grt them to purchase there versions.

jimmyjam
05-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Not quite true. Huck It isn't available on iTunes.

thats the only tune i have never heard. is it worth tracking down??

HeadAroundU
05-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Can you guys upload The Adolescents/D.I versions?

Ptit Seb
05-16-2008, 09:20 AM
i'm 100% sure it's the D.I. cover cause dexter mentionned they recorded it during the conspiracy of one sessions at the same time than autonomy, one hundred punks, 80 times et sin city

i'm quite happy to hear this one soon

(if we will listen to that kind of old stuff - meant quite old recorded stuff), we'll probably have we don't have sex anymore soon ;)

Peedr
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Can you guys upload The Adolescents/D.I versions?Sure, enjoy:
Adolescents - O.C. Life (http://www.offspringthe.ic.cz/Download/Adolescents_-_O.C._Life.mp3)

HeadAroundU
05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you. It's kinda funny. He is singing quickly. I'm sure that Dexter can handle it. It reminded me of Davey Havok from AFI. He used to sing like that.

Jesus
05-17-2008, 07:19 AM
thats the only tune i have never heard. is it worth tracking down??

Yes, it's probably one of the best of CO1.

dff_punk
05-17-2008, 07:27 AM
The cover of OC Life is gonna be great.
Jesus, any news about the interview from that british magazine?

Jesus
05-17-2008, 08:07 AM
The cover of OC Life is gonna be great.
Jesus, any news about the interview from that british magazine?
He's busy right now with exams. He'll take a look next week. So will I in an international magazine store around here. I just hope the price of the mag won't be ridiculously high.

Aion
05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
that makes me wanna be japanese...
so unfair...u_u

Motacos
05-18-2008, 02:47 AM
Sure, enjoy:
Adolescents - O.C. Life (http://www.offspringthe.ic.cz/Download/Adolescents_-_O.C._Life.mp3)

i was looking for it, thank you!!

and to everyone:
everything is unfair, the release dates, the bonus track thing, and the prices of the CDs but cancel them out as much as we can. thats what this community is for, i think.
well, i might not be making any sense here since my english is not very good:p
anyway, im uploading the bonus track as soon as i get it (June 11), i promise.;) unless i die:D
oh just one question in advance, should i make a new thread or just post it here?

holland25
05-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Make a new thread. It will be better.

Motacos
05-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Make a new thread. It will be better.

Thanks. I'll do so.

GunForHire
05-18-2008, 04:01 AM
You rock Motacos!

Autonomist
05-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Australia

Whoo! ....

The Search Button
05-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Sure, enjoy:

Me likes this song. Specially the cutting guitars.

Good choice for a cover.

findout5
05-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Dudes, it's actually a D.I. song, not Adolescents.
The singer in D.I. was the drummer in Adolescents. Just sayin'!