PDA

View Full Version : The Voice of God...

Short_Attention_Span
05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
... is, apparently, at my school.

Um, this is going to sound weird:

For the past two, now going on three days, this really insane group of Christians has been shouting and preaching about the word of God. That doesn't bother me. They're outside a public institution. They can say whatever the heck they want; I may not agree with them, but I won't deny them their right to free speech. Good thing about college: there's a library, and tons of places where you can disappear for hours on end.

But, it started to strike a nerve when they bring huge banners saying, "Mohammad is a false prophet!" and start calling out a bisexual girl on her sexuality, when she obviously argued with them to the point where she had them in a circle.

Nobody who is over there listening to them, is persuaded by them. They're only there to ridicule...

So, here's my question: why? What is the point of it? And please, don't start bashing anyone--that's not the point of the thread. I kind of made it just to express confusion, if anything. (And sorry if this is not in the right forum!)
________
BAKING FOOD (http://www.cooking-chef.com/baking/)

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
LOL. I'm pretty sure Jesus would be chillin' on the green passing around a pipe made out of an apple and hanging out with all the people that this group is going so far out of its way to alienate.

dff_punk
05-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I personally believe in God. But those fucken fanatics give really bad reputation for us believers. Christianity in its roots was NEVER about persuasion. Its just those close-minded people who ruin it.

Wolfbutter
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
You have to put yourself in their shoes. They believe that, to be saved, you have to confess and believe in Jesus Christ. They obviously just want to open people to this path and to be saved. They want to help them go to Heaven instead of Hell. Although, they should do it in a less arrogant way.

Sunny
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Wolfbutter, they can believe and confess and whatnot until they're blue in the face, but that's really no fucking excuse to push their beliefs down other people's throats. if they want people to be saved, perhaps the way to convince them to become christians would be through love and compassion instead of bigotry and judgment. just a thought. people keep saying "what would jesus do" and then completely disregarding his teachings (love, tolerance, anyone?) it's really kind of cute.

it's perfectly ok to believe in whatever the hell you want to, but you have to live and let live. i have my beliefs, but i don't have the audacity to tell other people what to do, because it's simply not my place. people will either come to believe in something, or they will turn away from it; it's a part of their journey and none of my fucking business. besides, my belief system doesn't obligate me to impose my views on other people, so i'm cool. *shrugs*

I believe it was ghandi who said "i like your christ, but i don't like your christians. your christians are so unlike your christ". and that, my friends, about sums it up.

Drafan
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I donīt trust in God, I consider myself a pagan. Closest thing to me is celtic mythology.

Homer
05-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Just tell them that you want to go to hell.

Easy.

Vera
05-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Ugh that sucks. I mean, it's clear that one of Christianity's cental beliefs is that others should be taught about the faith so they can see the light blah blah etc. But fanaticism perverts the ultimate philosophy of Christianity, just like fanatics twist the message of other monotheist religions.

As to your question why, well, it's probably that tradition of teaching others about their faith to the fanatic extreme where you have to follow a very strict way of life in order to NOT be a sinner. They're so blind in their beliefs they must think they're doing people and God a favor.

yellow
05-16-2008, 08:04 AM
i will agree that if a group of people are yelling in earshot of someone, it definetly could be considered annoying and irritating. it is my belief that god has reasons for guiding people to do the things they do. i am just grateful that i wasn't given that assignment; also because humans have free will which means someone can choose to tune noises out or handle the situation in a million other different ways.

yellow
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
i will agree that if a group of people are yelling in earshot of someone, it definetly could be considered annoying and irritating. god works in mysterious ways. i am just grateful that i wasn't given that assignment; also because humans have free will which means someone can choose to not listen or handle the situation in a million other different ways.
plus it makes me happy knowing they believe in god and want others to believe in god too.

wheelchairman
05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree with 1565. Jesus was a super cool guy.

Like that whole forgiveness and turning the other cheek thing that American christians fanatically don't talk about.

Sunny
05-16-2008, 08:57 AM
i will agree that if a group of people are yelling in earshot of someone, it definetly could be considered annoying and irritating. it is my belief that god has reasons for guiding people to do the things they do. i am just grateful that i wasn't given that assignment; also because humans have free will which means someone can choose to tune noises out or handle the situation in a million other different ways.

why would god tell people to be intolerant and rude?

OffspringHead
05-16-2008, 10:47 AM
This is a really really sensitive topic. I believe that everyone has the right to protest and express their opinion in a civalized manor. The Mohammad thing is a complete disgrace. Not ALL people believe that Jesus was the prophet from god/messiah/lamb of god/son of god etc. And that's what needs to be drilled into the thoughts of people all over the world. Religion is brainwashing in a sense. If you believe in God and are religous, that's cool and all but they drill into your head from when your a child that Jesus and God are the two most important things ever and without them you wouldn't exist and you'd be nothing. The Islamic Religion is guilty of this too with Mohammad. Maybe a little bit worse than Christianity.

And for the Bisexual girl, I have sympathy on her. She has the right to express her sexuality any way she wants. She's a human being and she can't help being attracted to woman. That's not HER fault. You are born that way, it's not a choice. But these Christians are too stuck up and close-minded to take that information in. Let alone any historical information. The fact that gays and bi's are not allowed to marry the same sex is complete bullshit. The fact that there are laws governing the Untied States on a Christian moral that is greatly debated is ridiculous. Who says Gay's believe in god? Marriage isn't religious anymore. You can get married by a judge if you want. It doesn't have to be a priest. Who the fuck do christians think they are to interfere with the life of other people WHO CAN'T HELP BEING GAY BECAUSE HE/SHE WAS BORN LIKE THAT. Telling a gay they can't get married cause he's gay is like telling a black man he can't get married cause he's black.

It's terrible how the religious community treats other religious communities and the Gay community. It makes me sick.

Short_Attention_Span
05-16-2008, 10:48 AM
LOL. I'm pretty sure Jesus would be chillin' on the green passing around a pipe made out of an apple and hanging out with all the people that this group is going so far out of its way to alienate.

Ahahahaha! Lol! Man, if word got around that Jesus was that cool, I know I'd hang out with him.

i will agree that if a group of people are yelling in earshot of someone, it definetly could be considered annoying and irritating. god works in mysterious ways. i am just grateful that i wasn't given that assignment; also because humans have free will which means someone can choose to not listen or handle the situation in a million other different ways.
plus it makes me happy knowing they believe in god and want others to believe in god too.

Interesting... like Sunny pointed out, it begs the question, "why?" though. I still think it's ironic; I don't believe in God, but if I were searching for some sort of spirituality, these guys would make me feel unwanted.
________
Fix Ps3 (http://fixps3.info/)

BREAK
05-16-2008, 11:50 AM
...So, here's my question: why? What is the point of it?

Well...what exactly are they protesting? You didn't mention any issue, and nobody asked. The Islamic religion? Bisexual girls? You mean to tell me they're holding a public demonstration for no other reason than to bother people?

You could say "What's the point of any public demonstration, it doesn't change anything" etc., but you probably wouldn't wonder about that if you agreed with them.

EMehl6
05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Meh. Radicals ruin it for everybody, no matter what their beliefs/stances. But I think it's pretty easy to see that these people aren't real Christians. I mean, the KKK claims to be a "Christian" group, but it's pretty easy to see they're not.

It's pretty sad that they're out spouting intolerance though. If anyone at your school was maybe thinking about converting or whatever to Christianity, it's going to steer them away. The true message of Chrisitanity is pretty simple: treat others as you want to be treated, and try to lead a good life. That group obviously doesn't know that, nor do they represent it. It's pretty sad that they believe what they believe though. It almost makes me feel bad for them...

Short_Attention_Span
05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Well...what exactly are they protesting? You didn't mention any issue, and nobody asked. The Islamic religion? Bisexual girls? You mean to tell me they're holding a public demonstration for no other reason than to bother people?

You could say "What's the point of any public demonstration, it doesn't change anything" etc., but you probably wouldn't wonder about that if you agreed with them.

Good question. And good point, too.

No idea. To me, it seems like they're not protesting anything. Or, in that regard, maybe they're protesting everything they consider sinful or what's not "righteous."

When I walk by, all I hear is them arguing with people in the crowd, or that something is sinful and we should all repent before we go to Hell. But, I have stood there and watched them and the crowd before, and I haven't heard a distinct motive aside from that. Then again, I do tend to end up there after class, so I miss the start of everything. I might be missing something (which wouldn't really surprise me, to be perfectly honest.) Who knows?

All I know is that, right now, I'm comfortably ignoring them in an air conditioned room.
________
Upload Starcraft 2 Replays (http://screplays.com)