PDA

View Full Version : I finally have some respect for Bush now.

OffspringHead
05-17-2008, 08:47 PM
I hate Bush like the majority of the country but I saw 2 things in an interview that made me go "Hey, this guy actually isn't as much of a douchebag as i thought".

1) The person doing the interview pointed out the Gas Tax Holiday for this summer. For those of you who don't know, Gas goes up really high in the summer than any other time of the year and Obama and Hillary thought that for the summer, the government shouldn't tax gas so the gas prices aren't as high.

Bush said that he would "consider" a gas tax holiday. He may not do it, but at least he'll consider it for the good of the people. Considering he's huge on big business and we're in a lot of debt, that's a pretty significant statement.

2) The interviewer pointed out that Bush hasn't played golf in a few years and he asked Bush why he stopped. And he said he stopped playing golf because he didn't want the parents of children who died in Iraq seeing the President playing golf and having a good time (despite the fact he has had more vacations than any president in history)

I still don't like Bush. But those we're two non-asshole statements.

Llamas
05-17-2008, 09:30 PM
...please tell me this is sarcasm?

1) The person doing the interview pointed out the Gas Tax Holiday for this summer. For those of you who don't know, Gas goes up really high in the summer than any other time of the year and Obama and Hillary thought that for the summer, the government shouldn't tax gas so the gas prices aren't as high.
Actually, Hillary and McCain thought it was a good idea. Obama thinks it's terrible, and it IS terrible.

Bush said that he would "consider" a gas tax holiday. He may not do it, but at least he'll consider it for the good of the people. Considering he's huge on big business and we're in a lot of debt, that's a pretty significant statement.
He's an idiot for considering this. Getting rid of the gas tax for the summer is an idiotic idea.

2) The interviewer pointed out that Bush hasn't played golf in a few years and he asked Bush why he stopped. And he said he stopped playing golf because he didn't want the parents of children who died in Iraq seeing the President playing golf and having a good time (despite the fact he has had more vacations than any president in history)
...I don't even want to get into how stupid that is...

Jebus
05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Actually, the golf thing ended up being a lie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ylITNTv_sk&feature=related) (3:55). So don't worry. Bush hate is still punx.

OffspringHead
05-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Well. I sit here and i laugh. Cause I can't believe these things didn't cross my mind earlier. Haha.

Thanks for pointing that shit out =)

TheOldMark
05-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I hate Bush like the majority of the country but I saw 2 things in an interview that made me go "Hey, this guy actually isn't as much of a douchebag as i thought".

I still don't like Bush. But those we're two non-asshole statements.

I still hate Bush. He completely fucked the country. I dont know how I feel about the golf thing, I think that says to me, oops maybe Iraq wasn't such a good idea, I better hide.
I have a calendar that is literally a count down til Bush's last day in office. Regardless of who wins the election, My friends and I are gonna go down to DC that day and sing Kumbaya in front of the washington memorial.

IamSam
05-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I still hate Bush. He completely fucked the country. I dont know how I feel about the golf thing, I think that says to me, oops maybe Iraq wasn't such a good idea, I better hide.
I have a calendar that is literally a count down til Bush's last day in office. Regardless of who wins the election, My friends and I are gonna go down to DC that day and sing Kumbaya in front of the washington memorial.

I think "fucked the country" is a little harsh. If he fucked the country I would expect rioting in the streets and a revolution. I'm not seeing it.

Sincerly-Sixx 13
05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah that is reasonable I truely still don't like the goverment as always, but you could find something good in the next pesident ,thats a good point to like him. As for me im still staying with anarchy :D

Moose
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Sometimes it seems most people who hate Bush or don't like the current government dont even really know why. It seems as if they say it because it is the in or cool thing to do...the "punk" thing...hence that coy anarchy statement.

Unnatural Disaster
05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Lifting the gas tax is a horrible idea, because the average driver will only save about $36 at the end of the 3 months, total. And the gas stations would probably raise their prices anyway.

The best thing that Bush could think of to give respect to the families of dead soldiers is to quit golf?

IamSam
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Sometimes it seems most people who hate Bush or don't like the current government dont even really know why. It seems as if they say it because it is the in or cool thing to do...the "punk" thing...hence that coy anarchy statement.

It's cool to hate I guess...

The thing is that if 90% of the people that 'hated' Bush were put in his position, they'd fuck it up too. Why? Because you can't please everybody.

Although to cause 80% of the population to think you are doing a shitty job, well that's another story.

sipptaroowsky
06-21-2008, 10:02 AM

you are the third biggest country of the world, the third most populated country of the world, how can you fuck that up??????
dude, you are in war, you know what war means in the Balcan...it means, run and hide, leave the country, just get out of the way, becouse we are screwed, on the other hand, war in america means, going to the movies, Offspring concerts, rodeos, you know the every day life, ... John:" oh hello Chris, did you hear we attacked Iraq yesterday" Chris:"John you know I don't like talking about the Australian wars when I'm shopping". Dude you don't have a fucked up country, you are living it up, and tell me why would george fuck up the country,,,why...you don't eve know what fucked up means, there are people in africa fuckind 11 year old virgins becouse they think that way they'll get rid of aids,. now I'm a student, and as a student I'll be desperate for a job, I might not even find one after I graduate, becouse everybody's got a academic degree here,we know it's our only chance,. so I turn on the TV and I se some guy in a medium job in the U.S. of A. saying that his salary is 50.000$ a year and he just finds it hard to make it becouse he finds it hard to live with that money, and I freek out. the only people who have that kind of sallary here are diplomats, politicans, the president, people with two academy degrees....I'd be happy with a 20.000$ job, so don't shit about how somebody fucked up your country, and if he did,,,didn't you people vote for him, if not who did???

luny13
06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
ill never like bush..lol

i finally like tony blair...coz he isnt pm anymore..and i liked gordon brown...but now ive managed to begin hating him :S lol

F@ BANKZ
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Personally I hate almost all politicians. However, I still much, much prefer Gordon Brown to the egocentrical coward of a leader Britain had before him. People are allowing themselves to thinking all of Brown's decisions have been terrible but when you evaluate it, Blair lead Britain into an unrighteous war that it did not want to or need to participate in, Gordon Brown has made one mistake over the 10p price cut. Blair lead a thriving economy that is now heading towards recession, but who was in charge of that economy during this time? Brown. This situation is fueled by the opposition and by the media, I just wish people could see what is important from what is not. How I hate the Tories.

This said, Gordon Brown as the Chancellor of the Exchequer has evidently been selfish and ruthless. I said as soon as he became incumbent that his economy had been set up for the short-term, but again people only seem to care about the here and the now. Still, anybody beats Blair.

Wow, I really didn't mean to type this much in responce to a two-line post.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Tony Blair turned the mess of John Major's Britain into a working, stable country again. Yes, he took us into the war. But to say Gordon's better than Tony because Brown hasn't started any wars lately is ridiculous. Tony lead the party for 10 years, and build an economical and social infastructure that's solid and sound.

And Gordon hasn't just made one mistake. He's made plenty. Polls don't lie - Support for Labour has dropped to it's lowest point in 30 years.

F@ BANKZ
07-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Lowering support for labour could by some be considered a virtue rather than a mistake.

Seriously though, taking a country into war isn't the same thing as making a blunder over your tax demographics; people die, people did die horribly for no good reason (I do not mean just Brits either) and next to that I see the mistakes of Brows as really quite frivolous. It would seem credit is due to Blair when it comes to the NHS and other national issues but think of the mistakes he made: Cash for honours, for example, was not just a fault but a criminal action and a cover-up that if formally proven would have gone down in history the same way as scandals such as Watergate in the USA. Brown has made mistakes as he's human, Blair's were much, much more serious in my experience, however, I only began to pay attention to Blair in his later years which are commonly deemed the less successful ones.

Brown actually did most of the work in creating the firm economy you speak of, and as for the solid and sound social infrastructure, I will not pretend to know more about it than I do.

Labour is suffering in polls, but that only reflects others' opinions, there is no need for me to conform. People want the Tories in power because of self-interest and in light of the superficial exaggeration of Brown blunders; he is made subject of virtually all Conservative propaganda. In that sense, I suppose he has made mistakes, but at least they are not costing innocent lives. After 10 years, the economy has stopped improving; it is inevitable that the government in power will suffer when people have become accustomed to such prosperity, which will have a knock-on effect when it comes to polls which is not necessarily through fault of the Prime-Minister.

Edit: Ps (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/Sim-O/lol_blair.jpg)

GBH2
07-10-2008, 09:14 PM

this is exactly what i was going to say. but being informed isn't very punx

Ducci13
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM

This could not be more true. There is a guy on youtube who goes around to Anti Bush and Anti war protests and asks people simple questions about Iraq and our country and they have no clue. They are simply out there because its the "cool" thing to do at school. I have no sympathy for whiny, uneducated Government haters. France would love to have you:)
Here is a video link to the protest questions. This is a good one. The "protestor" thinks that Saddam Hussein is a country and has no clue what a Kurd is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVROC-gsnXA

Static_Martyr
07-20-2008, 02:09 PM
First off, let me say that I consider myself (somewhat of a) social liberal. I looked at the link in that post (about the guy that visits the protestors and asks questions) and, after looking at a couple of the related videos on that page (on the sidebar), I'm thoroughly appalled.

There are plenty of reasons to oppose George W. Bush and the Republicans in general, yes, but I'm more and more disturbed each day by how few people are actually familiar with them, and by how few people really understand them (or try to, at least). Looking at some of these videos gives you an idea of exactly how stupid people can get on both sides of the political front; it's because of stuff like that is what makes me hesitant to say "I'm a Democrat" (I'm not) or "I'm a full-fledged liberal" (I'm not). It also makes you a little less hostile towards the other side, whatever that may be---for example, it makes me re-think what the term "Liberal" really means when I see self-proclaimed "liberals" acting like idiots (How the fuck are you opposed to the Iraq War and you don't know what a Kurd is?! That's what I want to know). As a result, I'm constantly trying to find new ways to describe my political leanings....because, although I share many liberal viewpoints, I don't support blind followership (on either side) or random stupidity.

Seeing people on "your own side" acting like they don't know shit is quite humbling, I think; it makes you think that, since you see this and disagree with it, maybe there are some people on the opposite side (conservatives, in this case) that don't necessarily agree with all of the points being made by their so-called "representatives."

Which brings me back to my original conclusion: All politicians, and all people who try to be both politically active *and* uneducated, are idiots. That, and all people who think that being "politically educated" automatically means "agree with me." They're idiots, too; I really get bummed when I hear people on the extreme right say that "if liberals knew anything about the real world, they'd be conservatives," and I feel the same way when someone on the left says that about the right. I'm still waiting for the day when people will realize that it's not all black and white, and everybody who has a different viewpoint than you is not automatically part of a super-secret conspiracy to "get" you and destroy your world and your freedom.

I think Greg Graffin said it best (taken from wikipedia.org, so it might not be exact):

...faith in people you don't know, faith in religious or political leaders or even people on stages, people who are popular in the public eye, you shouldn't have faith in those people. You should listen to what they have to say and use it.

People don't listen to each other anymore, unless it's someone they already agree with. As a result, even in my own neighborhood I see people who have never had a problem with each other, all of a sudden becoming enemies because of minute political differences. Fuck this bullshit; I suggest we all try to get along, and save the name-calling and mud-slinging for the poll booths. Sure, it's alright to share your opinions, and discuss and explain them, but I think it's silly to fight about stuff like that. You're not changing anything unless you're voting for (or against) something, anyway.

Whatever. I need some weed.

Llamas
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
This could not be more true. There is a guy on youtube who goes around to Anti Bush and Anti war protests and asks people simple questions about Iraq and our country and they have no clue. They are simply out there because its the "cool" thing to do at school. I have no sympathy for whiny, uneducated Government haters. France would love to have you:)
Here is a video link to the protest questions. This is a good one. The "protestor" thinks that Saddam Hussein is a country and has no clue what a Kurd is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVROC-gsnXA

First of all, yes that girl did say "people that were killed in Sadaam Hussein", but the guy did word it really stupidly: he said, "The people who were killed... from Sadaam Hussein". She was just (stupidly) repeating back what she basically heard.

Second of all, that doesn't even matter. That girl is obnoxious and doesn't seem very bright at all. There are people exactly like that in any grouping of people. By saying I'm a musician, I don't automatically associate myself with the trash of the music industry; by saying you're a liberal, you don't automatically associate with people like that girl.

Not knowing what a Kurd is is shocking, certainly, but I don't think you have to know what a Kurd is to be against the war.

By the way, yes, it is more common for young people to be liberal... a lot of people, however, are conservative solely because their parents raised them so, though, and don't put any of their own thought into it. It's dumb to point fingers at one side, even though it's not really different.

The shadow
07-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually, I think you do have to know "what" a Kurd is to be against the war. If you know nothing about it, what are you against?. Rejecting any war solely because it is a war is very noble, but not realistic. Politically speaking, it's like believing in Santa Claus. I know all wars are bad, but some are necessary, so one should only oppose unnecessary wars.

By the way, just as a side note, I got this line of thinking from an extract of Cormac McCarthy's "Bloody Meridian" I read somewhere so, these are not all my own words.

IamSam
07-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I know all wars are bad, but some are necessary, so one should only oppose unnecessary wars.

I agree with this in a way. I was watching Green Day's Bullet in a Bible again out of sheer boredom and wanted to slit Billie Joe's neck for comments he made about WWII. They were in a war museum and he made comments about how WWII was 'somebody elses unnecessary war.' Last I checked, England was the one attacked, so why would he give them shit about it? Unless he is uneducated, which is completely likely.

Static_Martyr
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I was watching Green Day's Bullet in a Bible again out of sheer boredom and wanted to slit Billie Joe's neck for comments he made about WWII. They were in a war museum and he made comments about how WWII was 'somebody elses unnecessary war.' Last I checked, England was the one attacked, so why would he give them shit about it? Unless he is uneducated, which is completely likely.

He doesn't say "someone else's unnecessary war." He's at the WWII museum, and he calls it "a museum of someone else's nightmare." I always took that to meant that, for some people, it has a special, terrifying significance that it doesn't for him. I thought it was a good poetic statement.

EDIT: Besides, that's the prelude to the song, "Holiday." He was trying to establish war as a real thing, something that can be utterly terrifying and disturbing---if anything, I'd say it was a very realistic, educated approach to the subject. It's not just some silly protest song, not to him---it's a very real thing. War is real; the people who fight it are real; and they really die. I think it's a powerful statement, and a good precursor to an equally powerful song.

Llamas
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Actually, I think you do have to know "what" a Kurd is to be against the war. If you know nothing about it, what are you against?. Rejecting any war solely because it is a war is very noble, but not realistic. Politically speaking, it's like believing in Santa Claus. I know all wars are bad, but some are necessary, so one should only oppose unnecessary wars.

I don't think that a term that a certain people are described by is necessary to be against a war. You can know what the war is about; know it's against Iraq, know when it started, know why it started, know who's there, etc, without knowing that the people are called Kurds. I mean, it's kind of weird to not know what they're called... but I'll admit that I was against the war before I knew they were called Kurds.

Gustavo
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, these are two good points.
He's not such a dick, after all.

adombomb222
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with this in a way. I was watching Green Day's Bullet in a Bible again out of sheer boredom and wanted to slit Billie Joe's neck for comments he made about WWII. They were in a war museum and he made comments about how WWII was 'somebody elses unnecessary war.' Last I checked, England was the one attacked, so why would he give them shit about it? Unless he is uneducated, which is completely likely.

Billie Joe is, well... He's well rehearsed, he acts like he understands what he is talking about, when he doesn't. He's just the poster board for someone else’s agenda and politics.

There are a lot of things that go into weather or not you agree with a war. Certainly you should understand what the war is about and how it began. But I really think you need to understand the culture and history of the country the war is fought on or about. You should understand the politics that are at stake and involved in the war. What can be gained and what is lost out of the war. The threats of international repercussions form the conflict. I mean there is a lot to understand about Iraq, and I know not very many people understand everything.

Most of the people I know base weather or not they agree with the war by their judgment of our president. And that’s not a fair judgment at all. Take for example: My school as a “Peace” club, and they hold an event every year to raise money for situations around the world, this year it was the Genocide in the Sudan (Darfur region). Well one day I was working in a group project and I happened to be place with a bunch of them. And they were talking about a bunch of shit, some about genocide and some about Iraq and how they hated Bush. And I remarked, “Yea, its too bad Saddam wasn’t taken out of power, because then the Kurds wouldn’t be afraid of another genocide.” And quite frankly it was ridiculous that I had to explain that Saddam committed genocide on the Northern Kurds using mustard gas, a nerve agent to kill many villages. And the reaction I got was, “Well that’s only one good thing Bush did.”

Jesus
08-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah too bad the US actually kept increasing it's support for Saddam after the Al-Anfal Campaign and when the Halabja massacre happened the State Departments denied it. When they couldn't keep denying it they switched the blaim on Iran. Same with the Clinton administration which just kept increasing it's support for Turkey when it was opression the Kurds more and more every day. Some love for the Kurds there.

I don't think it makes any sense to portray people who opposed the war as Saddam lovers. And yeah Billie Joe says, "a big gallery of someone elses nightmare" (as in the Nazi's nightmare and all their victims and the allies who fought them, war isn't awesome). Don't see anything wrong with that. Finally I also don't think you need to know about the Kurds to have been against the war. Given that it was sold on WMDs etc. If anything knowing about the Kurds, Sunnis, Shias would have done more into opposing it. I'm pretty sure most people in congress and the administration didn't know about it, or it didn't interest'm one bit. Which is more appalling since the burden of proof is on those in favor of violence, not the other way around.

metalmania
09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
he is just a man of oil and weapon incorporateds ;) but nevermind cause its the rule of capitalism or globalism or emperialism!!! capitalism makes slave presidents or slave governments for money.they dont ask that "hey where's the humanity or freedom" they just say "gimme fuel gimme money gimme weapon gimme war" they dont care about people's future!you can understand it if you read the history ;)