PDA

View Full Version : Nada Surf

Llamas
05-19-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't know if anyone else here likes them besides Jakebert... but I'm totally in love with Lucky. I'd heard of them before, but never realized they were such an old/established group. I'm wondering how their older stuff compares to the new album, for anyone who knows them well. I did look up Popular, which is just terrible...

edit: I fucking love "Ice on the Wing", "Are You Lightning", "See These Bones", "The Fox", and "The Film Did Not Go Round". "See These Bones" has been getting stuck in my head like crazy... the only song on the album that I don't like is "I Like What You Say".

Otherwise, does anyone even like them? Or have you heard of them at least?

Jakebert
05-19-2008, 03:53 PM
"Let Go", "The Weight is a Gift", and "Lucky" are all really good albums. Nothing mind-blowing, but just really well crafted pop music. The earlier stuff is pretty bad, though. It's really generic 90's pop-rock that doesn't stand out at all. "Popular" is about the average for their early stuff, so I wouldn't bother looking into it much.

Llamas
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
"Let Go", "The Weight is a Gift", and "Lucky" are all really good albums.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look up those other two.

Nothing mind-blowing, but just really well crafted pop music.
Exactly what I'd say about it. When I first listened through the album, I thought, "Meh, kinda generic pop music... nothing special". But after a few more listens, it really grew on me. They've got a unique sound and writing style.

The earlier stuff is pretty bad, though. It's really generic 90's pop-rock that doesn't stand out at all. "Popular" is about the average for their early stuff, so I wouldn't bother looking into it much.
Hmm, kinda what I figured. I'm surprised I'd never heard of them til recently, seeing as Popular was so... popular. haha.

I downloaded the four bonus songs from Lucky. I like "I Like What You Say" better in the acoustic version... but it's really repetitive. The other bonus songs are quite good, though.

el_monkey
05-20-2008, 05:20 AM
yeah, "The Weight is a Gift" is some good piece of music.
"concrete bed" is my favorite song.

their cover of "where is my mind" also kicks ass (you might know it from the end of "fight club"; it's played during the credits)