PDA

View Full Version : Summer Concerts

jacknife737
05-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Self explanatory, what concerts will you be attending this summer?

The Warped Tour looks god-awful this year; I missed last years too due to a poor lineup, so it looks as if the 06 one will be the last one that I attend.

I’ve already got tickets for the “Hey isn’t it 1997?” tour with Goldfinger, Less Than Jake, and Big D and the Kids Table. Although I have seen all three bands live, I have no doubt that this show will be a blast.

Rancid is also playing a couple dates in Toronto in August, and I think I may get tickets, since oddly enough I have yet to see them live.

GreenTerror
05-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Warped has gone downhill soooooo so bad. Very disappointing, it was the epitome of summer for me since 2004. I didn't go last year, either because there was no reason for me to be outdoors for an entire day during the hottest month in Arizona with 20 oz. bottles of water being $4. No thx.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-20-2008, 06:43 AM
I may or may not go to warped, but it is going to be at my school, and the vandals are gonna be there.

i am seeing the police/elvis costello next week.

mighty mighty bosstones/ dropkick murphys at the oc fair in july.

i dont have tickets for anything else yet, but im sure ill be going to many more.

BuddyHolly
05-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll be seeing Ignite next sunday.

A week later I'll be at the Pinkpop Festival. Bands I'm sure to catch are Foo Fighters, Bad religion, The Hives and Rage Against The Machine.

And I'm probably going to Dour Festival or Pukkelpop or Lowlands Festival.

I don't know yet what other shows I'm going to see.

Rag Doll
05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm seeing The Cure in June. Otherwise....*shrug*. I'll be working two jobs and having surgery and my mens is working and taking summer classes. So this probably won't be a very concert filled summer =\

Llamas
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
This week kicks off myhttp://www.offspring.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1114603 summer concert going. I'm seeing Rilo Kiley on Thursday, and then I'm going to Soundset 08 on Sunday (a hip hop festival with a lot of acts from Minneapolis: Atmosphere * Dilated Peoples * Aesop Rock * Little Brother * Brother Ali * Eyedea & Abilities * Beat Junkies * P.O.S * Blueprint * Mac Lethal * Abstract Rude * I Self Devine * Musab * Grayskul * Psalm One * Los Nativos *)

I wanna head to Milwaukee for Summerfest this summer, since I missed it last year. Some acts that are playing on free stages that I'd possibly wanna see include Gnarls Barkley, Sevendust, Dashboard, Jack's Mannequin, Coheed and Cambria, Alkaline Trio, Less Than Jake, Cheap Trick, and 311... the only one I'd really go out of my way to see, though, is Alkaline... pretty crappy lineup this year. Mostly bands I'd see just cause they're free.

Gavin Rossdale and Gin Blossoms are playing at the Basillica Block Party this summer... which is completely free. Might hit that up for some good ol' 90s music.

leo3375
05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
I've got a floor ticket for Nine Inch Nails on August 2. It's all part of a crazy weekend of epic awesomeness that has been code-named Operation: BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!

coke_a_holic
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Yo, Warped looks sweet this year, y'all are wack: Say Anything, Against Me!, Protest The Hero... uh... ummm. Shit, okay, fair. To be fair, though, Say Anything and Against Me! are two of my favorite bands.

I do, however, want to go to see Battles in a month, I have tickets to see The Hold Steady in a month and a half, and in July, Rush is coming.

Plus, a week after Rush comes, there's this huge rap show with A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Mos Def, Raekwon, Method Man, Spank Rock, and a bunch of others. It's going to be so kickass.

OffspringHead
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I wanna go to Sounds of the Underground this summer and Summer slaughterfest. =D

Short_Attention_Span
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM

Dude, really?!

I'm definitely going to be checking that out...
________
Interracial gangbang (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/706/gangbang/videos/1)

jacknife737
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
coke_a_holic, AM! playing the Toronto date almost makes it worth the ticket price, but not quite.

I'm so fucking envious.

Autonomist
05-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Going to Dropkick Murphys / Sick of It All in exactly one week for now.

Anyone who can geographically go to Rock the Bells and doesn't fails hard in my book. Easily the best festival in the world.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
i went to rock the bells last year. rage against the fucking machine, dude!

Little_Miss_1565
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I’ve already got tickets for the “Hey isn’t it 1997?” tour with Goldfinger, Less Than Jake, and Big D and the Kids Table.

Oh my god, tell me that's the official name of the tour.

jacknife737
05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Oh my god, tell me that's the official name of the tour.

Unfortunately not, its called something like Shout It Loud; however if it was called that it would be pretty epic.

jacknife737
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I’ve already got tickets for the “Hey isn’t it 1997?” tour with Goldfinger, Less Than Jake, and Big D and the Kids Table. Although I have seen all three bands live, I have no doubt that this show will be a blast.

So this concert was last night, and it was a fucking blast! I saw Goldfinger on their last tour, and they played amazing then, but had piss-poor opening acts (ie a couple scremo bands, and the Start), fortunately this time all the band’s playing were ska-punk, so the show had more of a cohesive sound.

The first opening act was called Suburban Legends, I hadn’t heard any of their music prior to the show, but they were pretty entertaining. They were pretty gimmicky (yes, even for a Ska show), the guitarist was dressed up it some cheesy 80s hair-metal with assless-chaps, and the lead singer and horn section kept dancing in what appeared to be a poorly choreographed manner. I wasn’t huge on their sound (new wave influenced ska) but they kept me entertained for half an hour.

Then came Big D and the Kids Table; the last time I saw these guys was in the Boston Invasion Tour in 06 while opening for the Dropkick Murphy’s, I was blown away by them then, and they’ve even gotten tighter as a band since. The most notable difference was the stage set up, lots of min-banners/signs around the stage, and instead of a background banner they had a blank-white sheet where they projected various video clips throughout their set. The setlist was basically the best bits of Strictly Rude with a couple tracks from How It Goes thrown in for good measure, the most noticeable absence however was LAX (guess they’ve gotten sick of this song). They also played a new track, different from what they’ve done before, but it sounded more Rude, then How It Goes.

Less Then Jake were a blast too, unfortunately I had decided to wait until the show to pick up their new album, so I wasn’t too familiar with the newer stuff, but from what they played, they were all solid. The rest of the set consisted of a healthy mix of Anthem, Loosing Streak, and Hello Rockview. They brought up lots of random audience members on stage and even a security guard to dance for the crowd, and ended with Plastic Cup Politics, a great set.

Last was Goldfinger, and Toronto shows for them are almost a homecoming since they usually play here about once or twice a year, regardless if they have any new material, this probably has to do with the fact that their drummer, Darrin lives here now. The setlist was pretty solid too, they played most of their first album, and the best bits of the newest one (which is surprisingly good), nothing off Disconnection Notice, and then a mix of the others. For a bunch of 40 year-olds, they sounded greater then ever, and Feldman even went crowd surfing more then a couple times during the show. They ended with Wayne Gretzky and 99 Red Ballons, with the band marching off stage in military style precision. Also, for the entire set they had their own horn section!!!!

After the show, I got to hangout with the lead singer of Big D at the bar. He’s a really, down to earth guy. We talked about them playing with the Bosstones, touring with the DK Murphy’s and their new album, which they are recording in September with either Joe Gittlman or some old friend of theirs who is suddenly a “big name” producing the record.

dff_punk
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I saw The Offspring a week ago, dunno if anybody heard about them, they are a local O.C. band, but they rocked the hell out of every single other band which was there!

Anyway, I am preparing to see Mad Caddies in two weeks, and some other local bands.

EDIT: I am jealous, Jacknife. I wanna see LTJ and Goldfinger too sometime!

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Aquabats Aug 16.
I've been a fan of these guys for years, I actually used to live like 4 doors down from them when i was growing up. and yet, this is the first time i'll ever be seeing them live. lol.
the fates have been against me up until now.

Betty
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Have tickets for Frank Black! (Or Black Francis). I'm excited about that one. The Sadies later in August. They're like a psycho-country-surf-rock band, if that makes sense. I still want to see Tom Petty at the Gorge in Washington. Not sure if that will happen; I'll have to work on my friends.

I'd like to see the Offspring... and they're playing in Seattle... which is almost too close for it to be okay for me to not go.

August seems to be good for shows though... so there'll surely be a few more.

SyLeS
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I saw LTJ, Goldfinger at summerfest a couple weeks ago. I cant think of any other shows i really wanna see this summer though. I was consitering going to Warped this year but, when i looked at the lineup i threw up a little

Rag Doll
08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Not summer, but I just got tickets for 2 concerts and I'm a bit excited.

The Fratellis September 5 in NYC
Cake October 1 in Jersey (the mens bought tickets)

jacknife737
08-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I think i'm going to either the NoFx/ Dillinger Four or the Rise Against/Alkaline Trio/Gaslight Anthem shows in Toronto in October. I'm probably only going to one since they're only a week apart, and that'd be a lot of money for bus tickets. I'm leaning towards the Nofx/D4 show though.

Tom
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I saw Rush and in 5 days I'm going to see The John Butler Trio.

That's it for me this summer!

leo3375
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
My summer concert plan is now a fall concert plan. I was supposed to see NIN last Saturday but it got postponed until November. Someone was apparently told he should take that day off and rest his voice for Lollapalooza.

Thomas
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I saw Rush in the beginning of May and holy crap, that was one fo the greatest experiences of my life. They played for 3 hours and nailed everything PERFECTLY. Geddy lee still hit all the high notes 32 years later...

Last night, I saw The Scorpions. There were some technical difficulties and poor weather, but the opening band had a lead singer who was damn SEXY and The Scorpions put on a show that was nearly on par with Rush. Klaus sang ridiculously well and that drummer had more energy than any other i've ever seen. So much fun. The sound guys sucked, though. Like, majorly. The Scorpions played incredibly well considering how many things went wrong for them (weather, bad sound guys, drums falling over, in-ear monitors getting screwed up, etc.).

Little_Miss_1565
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Funkmonkey, I want to see the Aquabats!

I'm too poor to go see Radiohead this weekend. :(

Betty
08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Saw Frank Black last night! Solo performance. It was pretty kickass. He played for a couple of hours... he has soooo much material. A gigantic bald man with the voice of an angel.

Tom Petty's a bust. I was going to go with my roommate and then she flaked out.

But I bought Bumbershoot tickets a couple of days ago so that's happening. Woo.

Rag Doll
08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm too poor to go see Radiohead this weekend. :(

Are you talking about All Points West (or whatever) in Jersey City? One of my friends is going to that. Ridiculously expensive though, especially because I'm pretty sure he's only going to see them. But cheaper than his original plan of driving to like...North Carolina or something to see them.

coke_a_holic
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I ended up only seeing The Hold Steady, so my summer concert plan has also shifted to fall.

In October, for some awesome reason, Against Me! and Ted Leo are playing a show together. Fucking awesome.

Then, in November, The Electric Six are coming back with The Golden Dogs and Local H, the day before my birthday. I'm so psyched.

Rag Doll
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I just bought tickets to see the Annuals/Minus the Bear on October 26. pretty excited.

StayInTheHouseCarl
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
i was going to buy weezer tickets.
then i saw that angels and airwaves is opening...
for me, thats a deal-breaker. lol

Man little_miss_1565, I wish you could see the Aquabats too!
three of my friends are actually monsters on yo gabba gabba. we all worked at the same place for a while...they are gone but im still there. lol