PDA

View Full Version : Trendy Asshole?

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Okay, so I've seen people quote the song Smash lots of times on this board, and I've always noticed when people quote the "trendy asshole" part of the lyrics.

Before joining this board, I had always interpreted the lyrics as Dexter saying "I'm not a trendy, asshole," like he's talking to somebody else (who is an asshole).

Other people seem to think it's "I'm not a 'trendy asshole'," where trendy is an adjective instead of a noun.

I happen to think it's the former, because it sounds better. The lyrics of cool to hate support the use of "trendy" as a noun: "I hate the trendies, but I also hate the freaks."

I would like to add that anyone who tries to say there's no comma in the official lyrics should note that there are no commas ANYWHERE in there, so that's a moot point. :P

Anyway, what are some opinions on this horribly irrelevant discussion?

Mens
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Are you serieus?
It's "I'm not a trendy asshole"
Why would he say that to an asshole that he's not a trendy?

slade
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Until i saw it quoted here i actually thought it said "I'm not a tranny asshole" :D

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Are you serieus?
It's "I'm not a trendy asshole"
Why would he say that to an asshole that he's not a trendy?

The same reason he doesn't "give a fuck if it's good enough for you."

The asshole is the "you" he's talking to, in my opinion.

nameless
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
id never even considered or thought it being him talking to someone, i can see your point though!

Camilamazed
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
"I'm not a trendy, asshole" makes sense to me.

dff_punk
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
What I reach from this discussion is that the true meaning of the line would be:
"Im not a trendy asshole, asshole!"

jacknife737
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Before joining this board, I had always interpreted the lyrics as Dexter saying "I'm not a trendy, asshole," like he's talking to somebody else (who is an asshole).

That's the way i've always interpreted it.

Cock Joke
05-20-2008, 04:17 PM
He's gotta be saying he's not an asshole who's trendy. In other words, "I'm not a trendy asshole." I dunno, Dexter's gotta do his "on the song" blogs when he's got some free time.

spidey255
05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
"Trendies" can be considered a noun because it refers to a group of people. Trendy is not a noun because it doesn't refer to anyone, but a characteristic. It's "I'm not a trendy asshole."

Blackball_
05-20-2008, 04:37 PM
haha. this is great. i have had this same argument in my head a zillion times.

EMehl6
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I think it's "I'm not a trendy asshole" because in the lyrics, there would be comma between trendy and asshole, and there isn't. Remember, Dexter is a fucking genius. I don't think he'd let that mistake slide lol. But the other reason is because the line that follows is "I do what I want, I do what I feel like", leading me believe he's telling everyone isn't a 'trendy asshole', because he's saying he does whatever he wants, not following any particular guidlines like a trendy asshole would. And, of course, he "doesn't give a fuck if it's good enough for you", meaning he doesn't care if you give him shit for going his own way.

In short, I think it's "I'm not a trendy asshole", not "I'm not a trendy, asshole". lol

Unnatural Disaster
05-20-2008, 05:51 PM
To me, it sounds better as Trendy Asshole. (no comma)

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I think it's "I'm not a trendy asshole" because in the lyrics, there would be comma between trendy and asshole, and there isn't. Remember, Dexter is a fucking genius. I don't think he'd let that mistake slide lol. But the other reason is because the line that follows is "I do what I want, I do what I feel like", leading me believe he's telling everyone isn't a 'trendy asshole', because he's saying he does whatever he wants, not following any particular guidlines like a trendy asshole would. And, of course, he "doesn't give a fuck if it's good enough for you", meaning he doesn't care if you give him shit for going his own way.

In short, I think it's "I'm not a trendy asshole", not "I'm not a trendy, asshole". lol

Maybe, but there aren't commas anywhere in the whole thing, which unfortunately only fuels the great debate!

EMehl6
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe, but there aren't commas anywhere in the whole thing, which unfortunately only fuels the great debate!

Touche lol. It would make sense either way though. We need Dexter to straighten this out.

Pranksta
05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm not a trendy asshole.

Little_Miss_1565
05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Trendy is an adjective, not a noun!

EMehl6
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM

Psh. It does what it wants, it does what it feels like :p

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Nuh-uh! I quoted Cool to Hate to show otherwise. "I hate the trendies but I also hate the freaks." So, at the very least, in the mind of Dexter Holland it can be a noun.

Wolfbutter
05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
even dexter doesnt think about this as much as you do

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
even dexter doesnt think about this as much as you do

Clearly. (10)

Cock Joke
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I hereby officially declare that the lyric sheet for "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" contain commas in their rightful areas!

ALL IN FAVOR...SAY "I!!!"

spidey255
05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Nuh-uh! I quoted Cool to Hate to show otherwise. "I hate the trendies but I also hate the freaks." So, at the very least, in the mind of Dexter Holland it can be a noun.

As I said earlier, "trendies" can be considered a noun because it's plural, thus naming a group. "Trendy" as a singular isn't a noun. You wouldn't go around saying, "Hey I'm a trendy!" You'd say, "Hey I'm trendy!"

Scythe Death
05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
BETTER DISCUSSION

"Now I don't want to do it no more" (Double Negative)

or

"Now I don't want to do it, no more." (correct, but doesn't sound like it in song)

???

Anyways, I think it's the second poll option.

brothadave79
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
BETTER DISCUSSION

"Now I don't want to do it no more" (Double Negative)

or

"Now I don't want to do it, no more." (correct, but doesn't sound like it in song)

???

Anyways, I think it's the second poll option.

I'm not sure how this is better, but it's definitely a double negative. Either way, it doesn't affect the meaning of the sentence.

EDIT: I mean it doesn't affect his intent, not the literal meaning.

Smash punker
05-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Damn, WTF? I started a thread about whats trendy, being trendy these days and the song was kinda discussed there, so I dont know whys that repeated here? :D

Smash:

I just want to be who I want to be
Guess thats hard for others to see
Im not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
Im not a trendy asshole
I dont give a fuck if its good enough for you
Cause Im alive

Guess that sums it up perfectly! :D

WebDudette
05-21-2008, 12:31 AM
I actually thought it was 'I'm not a 'tranny asshole'' when I was a kid.

shanna_guarana
05-21-2008, 03:56 AM
asshole-noun;

trendy-adjective;

Trendy explains what is an asshole like;

No comma between those.

holland25
05-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Fuck, I want to change my vote. I voted before I read the description of the poll and I voted the wrong (first) one. Meh.

i_am_the_bishop
05-21-2008, 06:06 AM
i have thought about this before and i could see it being "trendy, asshole" because i might call someone a trendy myself but his tone of voice suggests "trendy asshole" to me.

on the other hand, denying that he's a trendy is more in keeping with the song than denying he's an asshole because you could easily do what you want and be an asshole at the same time!

Hypodermic_89
05-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Until i saw it quoted here i actually thought it said "I'm not a tranny asshole" :D
Dude, do you ever read the lyrics that come with the cd's?

disclaimer_07
05-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Of course it's "a trendy asshole". No doubt.

Marc_Nitschke
05-21-2008, 06:22 AM
i think its "im not a tendy asshole"

but, i think, that it doesn't meake much difference, cause i belive "he" (means the guy talking) is also implying, that he things beeing trendy is kinda like beeing an asshole

and to the original idea, it is kinda the same thing like in cool to hate...

in both song the "Protagonist" dislikes trendys and thinks they suck...

Steph
05-21-2008, 06:43 AM
For me it always was "trendy asshole".
He's not talking to an asshole - he's an asshole who is not trendy. I may be wrong, but that's what I think...

Moose
05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
i think you can tell by his delivery and the lyrics that the correct line is:

"I'm not a trendy, asshole"

It sounds like he is speaking to someone, not saying he isn't a "trendy asshole"...

Plus the rest of the lyrics make it seem as if he is talking to someone or you know..."they"

Alex101
05-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Does this thread have something to do with the line from the song "Smash"?

shanna_guarana
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Does this thread have something to do with the line from the song "Smash"?

Blind/crazy/pretending that you're blind/pretending that you're crazy????

iPunk247
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
trendy assholes SUCK!

Smash punker
05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
like being EMO or watching MTV! :D

RobinoZombie
05-22-2008, 02:22 AM
watching mtv? guess you wouldnt watch it if TO where on it then huh?

Smash punker
05-22-2008, 03:07 AM
watching mtv? guess you wouldnt watch it if TO where on it then huh?

There are better even czech channels, where to check The Offspring! :D

disclaimer_07
05-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Smash punker, why is it "I'm not trendy asshole" in your sig?

Smash punker
05-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Smash punker, why is it "I'm not trendy asshole" in your sig?

Why? Cause I love that part from the song Smash and it kinda shows the punk, anarchy way :D and I just simply love that! It means that you dont care what people think of you, that you do, what you wanna do, just do what you feel like. People dont usually influent you to do something, cause youve got your own thinking and you are able to make a decision yourself! You are just yourself! :D Cant explain it better! :D And I did this signature some time ago after my Trendy asshole thread dissapeared. :D

disclaimer_07
05-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Why? Cause I love that part from the song Smash and it kinda shows the punk, anarchy way :D and I just simply love that! It means that you dont care what people think of you, that you do, what you wanna do, just do what you feel like. People dont usually influent you to do something, cause youve got your own thinking and you are able to make a decision yourself! You are just yourself! :D Cant explain it better! :D And I did this signature some time ago after my Trendy asshole thread dissapeared. :D

Nice that you've explained to all of us why you used those lines as your signature, but my point actually was, as we've been discussing whether it should be "I'm not a trendy, asshole" or "I'm not a trendy asshole", so my point was to find the reason for not using either of these two and putting the third, most unlikely variant, "I'm not trendy asshole" in your sig instead. Well, I guess you just forgot the "a", or maybe it was done on purpose?

Smash punker
05-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I admit, just forgot, but still think it's the best?!? :D

disclaimer_07
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I like that part too.

Johnny Birdbrook
05-23-2008, 05:11 PM
i actually never considered that it could be: ...trendy,asshole!

but since he sings " i don't give a fuck, if it's good enough for you!" later on, it really could be meant like this.

But i like "I'm not a trendy asshole" better, so i voted for it :D

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Counting the days until a thread on "Want You Bad/Badly" comes to life.

People need to chill out and start reading books too.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Counting the days until a thread on "Want You Bad/Badly" comes to life.

People need to chill out and start reading books too.

Oh, but that's "bad" for sure.

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Oh, but that's "bad" for sure.

I'm not talking about the word itself, but the meaning of it.

Many people think that the guy wants the girl very much. Like a deep yearning for her.

But the song is about a guy that want a girl to be bad, to be mean, to be a little evil.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm not talking about the word itself, but the meaning of it.

Many people think that the guy wants the girl very much. Like a deep yearning for her.

But the song is about a guy that want a girl to be bad, to be mean, to be a little evil.

It's a bit of wordplay I would say, actually it can mean both depending on how you interpret it. It's like "bad" hidden in "badly".

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 03:07 AM
It's a bit of wordplay I would say, actually it can mean both depending on how you interpret it. It's like "bad" hidden in "badly".

Then again, you can interpret as you want it but the writer says its "bad" not "badly".

Vera
05-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Usually when you say "I'm not a X, Y!" - Y being the thing you call somebody else calling you an X, your tone changes. Dexter sings it without a pause or a significant change in tone or emphasis.

Also, it would make more sense to say "you asshole" if he meant that the person calling him a 'trendy' was being an asshole.

Everything I learned about grammar, I learned from Dexter Holland.

randman21
05-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Then again, you can interpret as you want it but the writer says its "bad" not "badly".

You couldn't really interpret it any way you want, though, because you'd be wrong if you thought he means "badly," seeing as Dexter and Noodles has already talked about it.

Budzy
05-24-2008, 03:40 AM
lol i would never have considered this. just sung along "yeah w/e their the ofspring they can sing w/e they want."

IM NOT A TRENDY, ASSHOLE makes sense to me
DO WAT I WANT AND DO WAT I FEEL LIKE becos hes not a trendy.
catching my drift?
makes sense to me :cool:

__________________________________________________ _____
Its all distorted in americana my way......WELL F*** YOU!

The_Bass
05-24-2008, 05:07 AM
I think it's "I'm not a trendy, asshole". I think it sounds better in the context.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't know, it's always been "a trendy asshole" to me.

KickedDown
05-24-2008, 05:19 AM
"Trendy," is an adjective, so you can't be an adjective.

For example, "funny" is an adjective. Let's replace "trendy" with "funny."

I'm not a funny asshole.

Makes sense, right? Now let's try it with the comma.

I'm not a funny, asshole.

What the fuck is a funny? Anyone who thinks there is a comma in that sentence is wrong. Dead Wrong.

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 05:48 AM
"Trendy," is an adjective, so you can't be an adjective.

For example, "funny" is an adjective. Let's replace "trendy" with "funny."

I'm not a funny asshole.

Makes sense, right? Now let's try it with the comma.

I'm not a funny, asshole.

What the fuck is a funny? Anyone who thinks there is a comma in that sentence is wrong. Dead Wrong.

You Win! \o/

dff_punk
05-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Yeah but listen to Cool To Hate: "I hate the trendies but I also hate the freaks" <-- here is is clearly used as a noun. You are a funny.

KickedDown
05-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Yeah but listen to Cool To Hate: "I hate the trendies but I also hate the freaks" <-- here is is clearly used as a noun. You are a funny.

Trendies is a plural noun. It is a slang term for a group of people who follow trends. The fact still remains that the word trendy is an adjective.

dff_punk
05-24-2008, 06:20 AM
So.. one trendy does not exist... okay then. More wisdom for me.

KickedDown
05-24-2008, 06:50 AM
So.. one trendy does not exist... okay then. More wisdom for me.

The word "TRENDY" is an adjective, not a noun - what about this do you not understand?

"Trendies" is SLANG!

dff_punk
05-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I understood it perfectly. Do not worry ;)

jacknife737
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
The word "TRENDY" is an adjective, not a noun - what about this do you not understand?

"Trendies" is SLANG!

Except when writing a song, the rules of grammar, etc don't necessarily have to apply, ie especially when using slang. So you're not necessarily going to prove your point this way.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
It's not about slang or whatever, I just don't see why it should be "a trendy, asshole".

yelloweyeyes
05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
There's no comma in the lyrics booklet...

brothadave79
05-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think there are any commas in the lyrics booklet at all.