PDA

View Full Version : Since day one? Who?

Smash punker
05-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I was just thinking about forums and people here and I kinda wonder, for how long are you with the Offspring? Guess thisīd help to give you guys info in general about.... You gonna know the elders and the new guys also. :D And the real hardcore fans! :D

jacknife737
05-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Just over a decade; so i guess i'm kind of in the middle. Not a new fan, but haven't been following them since the beginning.

Zee
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
It started with Smash pretty much. I copied it into a c-cassette from my friend, I still have it.

In 1994-95 I brought Gotta Get Away into our school's music contest, but it got last. People wondered why not COAP or Self Esteem. In 1999 I did the same with Pretty Fly, and it won.

Smash was HUGE by that time, it was almost incredible. I was at 2nd-3rd grade or something, and it was all about Nirvana, Offspring and Bad Religion by that time. At least between tough guys. ;)

Ixnay wasn't really popular at at all, and I also remember my first reactions of it when my brother said "check out the new Offspring". I didn't like it! What did I think, now I think it's one of the best albums made. Anyways, Pretty Fly came and the band was at least as huge as with Smash again. I loved the song, taped it on video and listened to it times after times. Took my Smash cassette on listening again, and thought that now it's time to buy all the actual albums. Did it, and loved them... and here we are now. Been my favourite quite some time, all time favourite will be for sure. You don't become such a huge fan at this very current age right now of some band as Offspring did.

Crazy times, Offspring were everywhere.

randman21
05-22-2008, 01:30 AM
I liked them since 2000, but I've only been a hardcore fan since 2005, so I voted 5 to 10 years.

NotTheOne_NL
05-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Would be cool the have a fan since day one around here!

RobinoZombie
05-22-2008, 02:09 AM
inbetween ixnay and americana.

The Search Button
05-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Would be cool the have a fan since day one around here!

It's unlikely that Dex's mom would post here.

Splinter[PI]
05-22-2008, 03:31 AM
I've been listening to the offspring for around 5,5 years, and I'm a fan since 2003, when Splinter came out.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-22-2008, 04:03 AM
I've been a fan sense Americana, actualy a day before. My dad worked at a record store and he brought home a copie of americana (the day before it came out) for my sister becuase she wanted it. She listened to it, liked only a few songs and just gave it to me, and the rest is history.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
05-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Since Smash, I was 7 years old. Hardcore!:cool:

holland25
05-22-2008, 05:49 AM
1996 - the beginning of 1997. Don't know exactly, but I know it's been slightly before Ixnay came out.

danitanev
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
In the begining it was Americana and Pretty Fly For A White Guy just about 10 years ago! But I personally don't think that the time since somebody is a fan really matters about if you're hardcore die hard fan or not! Actually I knew The Offspring since Smash - well it was kinda strange music for me in the years of 1994 and 1995 cause I had no idea about the meaning in the lyrics and I was living like in different society and there were no CD's, no internet, no money, no nothing! I was listening only disco songs then - well everybody was on cassette corders! But things got changed and my life too! So in the summer of 1998 I heard Pretty Fly For A White Guy - it was love from first hearing and from first sight of the video - cool lyrics, cool sound, cool video, cool girls! I record it on tape with the whole Americana album, than I found Smash on tape - love it too! Soon I found and bought a few CD's and started listening to it in my causin's house cause he had a CD player! My first CD was The Offspring - Beheaded - including 22 songs from Selftitled, Smash, Ixnay and Americana and there was bonus video Pretty Fly For A White Guy! In the year of 2000 I bought myself CD player - All My Dreams Came True - nice quality no stupid tapes - great! Than I started using internet in clubs - all day and night I was searching for new songs of The Offspring! I found all the lyrics, learn all the songs! But you know too much is never enough! I'm always looking for more! I bought a computer and got my own internet connection since April 2006, I found a lot of DVD's of The Offspring and cool stuff! You know every single CD I bought from here /my country is Bulgaria/ is fake! But I never paid for other music CD than these /fake/ with the signs of The Offspring on them! If I was able to afford original CD's and stuff I swear to God I was gonna /and I'm going to/ buy originals but unlikely I'm still... I don't know what a sucker maybe! So one of my biggest dreams is to be on at least one of their shows! But they aren't coming at my home I guess! Hey don't you guys think that I'm complaining I'm not it's just what it is! The Offspring are my Favorite band since 1998 and they'll be Forever and a day!

Muttleygirl
05-22-2008, 06:11 AM
I've been a fan since Americana, so I put 5-10 years. I think I started visiting the forum during the build-up to Conspiracy of One's release. I remember when they first revealed the album cover for Co1. Though I haven't visited here much during the 5-year hiatus after Splinter came out.

Mens
05-22-2008, 06:21 AM
For 15 years.
I was a little 8 y/o kiddo when dad gave me Ignition.

Count Orlok
05-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Since 1999 when I was 8.I heard Pretty Fly in the radio,before that i didnīt really hear much music.This song was my favourite song that time and so my brother gave me Americana.Then,in 2001 I bought Conspiracy.After that i got into Smash,all other Offspring albums and Punk Music in general.
Now the band is my favourite band since nearly a decade.

FrancoDaHui
05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
for me, it was in 98

i listened to pretty fly and WDYGAJ and didnt really like them, but then i got to listen to Staring at the Sun and i fell in love immediately

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I was 11 or 12. More than half my life. And most of that spent on these forums in their various incarnations. Yes, I am lame.

Rag Doll
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Same as 1565. Since around 11 or 12, most of which has been spent on some incarnation of the forum. Laaaaame.

mr know it all
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
me since day one. i grew up in the same town and saw them play at my high school when they played battle of the bands. they didn't win and were awful but they were fun and played fun backyard parties at the time.

randman21
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
me since day one. i grew up in the same town and saw them play at my high school when they played battle of the bands. they didn't win and were awful but they were fun and played fun backyard parties at the time.
This is so cool.

-Were they Manic Subsidal then?
-The minute Smash became big, did you instantly remember them?

LowEndLem
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Only about two years. I kept seeing their songs on youtube and a few of my friends liked them, so I went to Borders and grabbed Americana and Smash. Instant fan.

samara
05-22-2008, 10:20 AM
since 9 years, when I listened Americana (I was 7)

The Search Button
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey the most important thing right now is knowing:

Do you in think, in the future, someone will come up here and say that "HAMMERHEAD got me into the Offspring"?

pulstar
05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Since Americana, with The Kids Aren't Alright. Their music was so energetic, and such a difference to all the poppy crap and dance music from primary school. I bought ixnay, smash, ignition, self-titled a few weeks later. They got me into other punk bands, later also metal bands. So The Offspring are very special to me since the last 9-10 years. I wish i knew them from the beginning though...

Manzanubrio
05-22-2008, 11:02 AM

Do you in think, in the future, someone will come up here and say that "HAMMERHEAD got me into the Offspring"?

of course xD but it's strange to post in a forum of a band u know since a few days... but i think there's people who have known Offspring with Hammerhead

The_Bass
05-22-2008, 11:37 AM
About when I was six or something, I'm almost sixteen now.

Good 'ol days watching MTV in the morning when my parents were still asleep :).

Drafan
05-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Since 1998.
I see long timers wins.

Offspring Gangsta
05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
been a fan 4 about 3 years. 1 of my moms friends who was like 50 years old lent me her splinter cd. i liked it a lot and have been a hardcore fan since then.

Ptit Seb
05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
since 1995 with gotta get away :)

Cock Joke
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Almost five years, now. They have never let me down before.

jim109109
05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
"noob" for me...
1 year
sigh

Blackball_
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM

yes.. and theyll be slaughtered by the folks that are saying they got here splinter or co1, who got slaughtered by those who got here via americana.. who got... you get the point.

i think the oldest i remember anyone on this board was someone from ignition. i cant remember their name, but i do remember they may have had the feeling fairy as a tattoo? nice..

Johnny Birdbrook
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Well I'm a fan of the offspring, since my mother told me there's a f***ing (may you say this words in american forums? you can in german ones, so i just wondered :D ) great song, called self-esteem. After i heard it, i bought all their albums, guess it was the time when co1 came out. But nevertheless it was the last one i bought^^

smash and ignition are still the best ones for me.. so far^^

dff_punk
05-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Americana, Pretty Fly. Same old story, meh. :p

Lord_Gabo
05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Since 1995 Smash. 14 years old.

Komaschwarz
05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Well...I actually have been listening to the Offspring since 1989 when their debut CD came out. I was two, so I wasn't technically the one playing them on the stereo (couldn't reach...or operate a stereo for that matter) but my mother always had an interesting taste in music, and is the first person to implant a love of music in me.

She claims the street cred of actually knowing who the fuck they were, when they were Manic Subsidal. She's also one of the lucky S.O.B's that owns the Blackball / I'll be waiting 7" vinyl with the sleeve. I've begged her for it on many occasions, but she's got it in fucking personal storage along with all her other music memorabilia.

I've tried to buy it off her, pleaded with her, but she's never budged. She says I can't bitch, because she was a fan first and it's hers. She's got a point. But still...

Bitch has to die sometime >.<

Sorry....got sidetracked. First song I remember listening to is Jennifer Lost the War, which my mom used to play to get me to sleep. As soon as I was old enough to reach and use the stereo, Beheaded was on loop.

All that coolness aside, I think it's really stupid to rate a fan at all, especially based on something as trivial as how long they've been listening to the band. I've certainly never done that to any of my friends, because I'd rather use The Offspring to unite my friends, not chastise them :p

I mean, so what if you've listened to The Offspring since Smash or Ignition, or the self titled LP - do you want a fucking cookie?

Just enjoy that you were lucky enough to discover their music in the first place :)

so_drastic
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
My brothers got me into them in 1995 with Smash. I was 5 years old and clearly hardcore. (I was singing Bad Habit in the playground.) Ixnay came out and I just fell completely in love with them.

It sounds stupid, but their music has helped me through some crappy times. :)

HeadAroundU
05-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Pretty fly 1998. So I voted 10-15.

I think I have seen COAP in 1994 or later, maybe, but didn't care about it. I was 10 then. And I saw it on black and white TV. We had colour television in other room. Then I remember not liking I choose.

brian.offspring
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
with CO1 . . .
i was 10 . . . :)

SK8rocka
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Since I was 4 so im now 15 so about 11 yrs? I think

Oh and my favourite albums are self titled and ignition

Camilamazed
05-22-2008, 08:30 PM
1994 was the year. Dookie and Smash was all I could listen too hahaha...

Can't imagine myself without them. What would it be of myself?? =S

Smash punker
05-23-2008, 04:44 AM
All that coolness aside, I think it's really stupid to rate a fan at all, especially based on something as trivial as how long they've been listening to the band. I've certainly never done that to any of my friends, because I'd rather use The Offspring to unite my friends, not chastise them :p

I mean, so what if you've listened to The Offspring since Smash or Ignition, or the self titled LP - do you want a fucking cookie?

Just enjoy that you were lucky enough to discover their music in the first place :)[/QUOTE]

Iīm! :D But this isnīt about rating fans or judging them! Itīs just for those who are interested in the stories of others. For example like the one oldschooler that knows the Offspring since beginning. Respect! And those people are able to tell cool stories about the band from back in a day! :D

Offspring.of.Offspring
05-23-2008, 05:49 AM
I have been a fan since Hit That was popular. I always liked the "give it to me baby" but never knew from who it was. Then some asshole burned this CD with techno and Hit That. I loved Hit That. We got computer. Me went downloading. I only downloaded popular songs, like Want You Bad, and Hit That, and others. Then I discovered Smash in some store. And I bought it, then I went to my home and I locked myself in my room and I've been listening to it for like 8 hours. Next week it was after school, immediatley to my house, and just listen to Smash. I loved Nitro. It was rough, fast, it had some cool melodies. It got me into bands like Bad Religion, NOFX, Sex Pistols, stuff like that. Then I quitted playing the piano and 3 years later I finally got a acoustic guitar. Now I have an electric. Once I got it, I went to library and got all the Offspring tab books they had and then downloaded others, and just played non-stop Offspring. Yesterday I played Hammerhead 3 hours, now my string is broken and I'm too lazy to fix it. Nowadays, I'm busy completing my Offspring collection. It's not so big. Just all the albums on CD, Ixnay and Smash on LP, Go Ahead... Make My Day Punk, Pretty Fly Maxi, All I Want Maxi, a big red banner, and that's it. Never went to a gig or something. But since RFRG was released, I will definitely see them.

Btw, it's really strange that I can't remember what music I liked before Offspring...

Hypodermic_89
05-23-2008, 06:02 AM
I became a fan in 1999 when I got smash from my cousin. I also remember when she used to play it when she just got it, when I was 5.

camilo andres
05-23-2008, 06:19 AM
One day (7-8 years ago) I turned on the radio and All I Want was being played, I remember I just said: What the hell.... that sounds awesome... who are these guys... Then the song finished and the Dj said: Well ,those guys were The Offspring and their song All I Want... they're are releasing their brand new album Conspiracy of One but this was a good song of them I want you to listen...
By those days I just listen Metallica and heavy and all that kind of stuff but now my favourite band is The Offspring (and The Ramones).

darea
05-23-2008, 06:36 AM
I started listening to them in 1994 and have been a fan since then. Got all excited in 1995 when they had a song in "batman forever". Although I only bought all their other older albums in 1999. So Ive been a fan for 14 years and much more of a fan for the last 10 years...

Komaschwarz
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Just enjoy that you were lucky enough to discover their music in the first place :)

Iīm! :D But this isnīt about rating fans or judging them! Itīs just for those who are interested in the stories of others. For example like the one oldschooler that knows the Offspring since beginning. Respect! And those people are able to tell cool stories about the band from back in a day! :D

I guess you got a point there; I just hope it doesn't turn into a pissing contest :P

disclaimer_07
05-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't know since when, apparently I was too young to remember anything at that time. The only thing I know is that their first album I heard was Smash. So not before Smash.

F@ BANKZ
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I've "liked" The Offspring since '98, but I've only been a fan since just before Rise and Fall was announced. Less than 5 years then I suppose, but I have a massive post count to compensate:p

ad8
05-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I remember watching the Pretty Fly video on mtv germany in something like 99 or 98. I just loved it but was too young to get to know who this band was. I always liked them but got really into their music in 2004/05 or so. And I would count myself as a hardcore fan since mid 2007.

Ill.be.waiting.
05-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm an offspring fan for 5 years...One day five years ago, while I was watching tv, I saw a special programme of them performing live, and i remember I was really excited, and I said, I want to get to know this band more, so I asked my uncle to record some cds, and the first cds I had got were cospiracy and splinter...then, I started to save money, and I bought every cd and dvd, every new cd in my hands, made me love offspring more and more. omg, im starting to feel melancholy right now :')
I swear to god I'll die if them come to argentina again, the last time I couldn't go :'(

Fall-children
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
i'm a fan since manic subsidal

kidding

americana

Ryder1234
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
i voted less than five years because thats how long i've actually really liked them, but i should have put 5 to 10 years, as i listened to them in the Americana era

Smash punker
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I guess you got a point there; I just hope it doesn't turn into a pissing contest :P

Hope too. Don't worry:D

MATKO5000
05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Guess I first heard them when I was about 6, 1998 when Americana came out.
Since then I've been a fan.

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Original Prankster got me into the Offspring.

Conspiracy was my first album from the band.

There, another reason for people to hate me.

IamSam
05-24-2008, 02:32 AM

Relax. I actually like Co1 more than Ignition and Splinter because it seemed to more of a 'whole' album if you get what I'm saying. Ignition was a lot of the same whereas Splinter was just plain messed up. That being said, I like Ignition and Splinter, but find myself listening to Co1 more.

Smash punker
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Iīm not gonna hate anybody who listens to offspring. Only dicks do that! :mad: :D

Unnatural Disaster
05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
I started listening to The Offspring when I was in 3rd grade. Back in 1998. I heard Pretty Fly, and She's Got Issues so I asked my uncle (who is a big Rock Music fan) to get me a list of good Offspring songs that he knew and I downloaded a bunch of songs. The Offspring soon became my favorite band and I bought all of their albums.

Killboy_Powerhead
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
i'm amazed nobody's said anything about crazy taxi!

"go ahead and pick a car and driver! Axel! 'Alright let's get it on!'" YA YA YA YA YA (etc.)"

welll that's probably what did it for me XD

Conspiracyof1000
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I voted less than five because it's the truth. Even though I've been listening to them since the day I was born (true) I only really got into them a few years ago when I got Greatest Hits.
I feel like such a loser. :(

randman21
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
i'm amazed nobody's said anything about crazy taxi!

"go ahead and pick a car and driver! Axel! 'Alright let's get it on!'" YA YA YA YA YA (etc.)"

welll that's probably what did it for me XD

Haha, yeah. I miss that game. It's probably where I started considering myself a casual fan, but I knew them a couple years before that.

Redjie
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Since I was 7 years old and screamed out loud pretty fly and americana on my jeep. Probably I didn't sing the correct words but that's okay. I guess it was 9 years ago :P

cool 2 hate 681
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
10 to 15 years Ixnay On The Hombre era

RageAndLov
07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
And the real hardcore fans! :D

you can be a hardcore fan, and still just have been listening to offspring for 5 years! i have listened to offspring for over three yearsm and i would say i am a hardcore fan nevertheless!

Rooster
07-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I listen to them since i was 8 years old (i became their fan the moment i heard Have You Ever. I heard Pretty Fly somewhere before, but i didn't know which band was playing it. Have You Ever just stuck into my mind, and that was it), just over a decade. If i'd be born earlier, i'd probably be listening to them even longer

keonii7
07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I used to not really like the Offspring. Then came Crazy Taxi, and so I backed off my rules backed off my jive.

Bipolar Bear
07-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Although I've known them for longer than that, I've been a fan for a year. I started listening and loving Smash in its entirety last summer.

I'm happy they aren't the type of band that make two or three good albums then start sucking. Their new one, about 20 years after their first, is still outstanding. I'll always remain a fan for sure.

Ultimetalhead
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Around 2003, right after Splinter came out, my Dad took me on a road trip up to Mackinac Island. And on the way there, he wanted to play some Offspring, but my Mom didn;t like the language on Americana, so we got by Staring at the Sun, and the disc was out the window.

Yeah, my Mom's a bitch.

Rooster
07-08-2008, 05:38 AM
I feel like such a loser. :(

No REAL (count out the whiney biatches) Offspring fan is a loser. But if i'd be listening to them since i was born (like you :D), i'd probably start playing an electric guitar at the age of 3 :D

Oxygene
07-08-2008, 06:05 AM
march '95

self esteem vid

it's apt they always close with self esteem :)