PDA

View Full Version : You're Gonna Go Far, Kid lyrics meaning?

BigFish
05-22-2008, 01:32 AM
This is just my theory, but I think it's about someone who is an assassin possibly? And he gets fucked over by someone on the inside. Some of the lyrics that lead me to believe this are,

With a thousand lies, and a good disguise
This leads me to the conclusion because it makes me picture someone who is there just blending in and has an elaborate cover up because he's getting ready to pull off some big job.

Now dance, fucker, dance
I never had a chance
They never even knew
It was really only you
This makes me think of the kid talking to his "boss" saying he took his life from him and brought him into the business and now he's exacting his revenge by shooting at him; hence the "dance, fucker, dance...I never had a chance" The "they never even knew it was really only you" makes me think of how no one would expect someone on the inside to be doing this to a kid.

There are also some parts about "someone is in your way, time to take him out, nice work you did, you're gonna go far, kid" That once again reminds me of the boss trying to reassure the kid he's doing good and would never expect to get fucked over.

I'm sure there's more, but I've only listened to the song about 15 times tonight since I got it about an hour ago. So, I'm sure my theories can be very vague and way off.

I apologize for the poor punctuation when describing the lyrics, but I didn't wanna take up more space by skipping a line each time. I'm just so fucking excited for this album, I've been waiting 1/4th of my life for this to come out. About 4 1/4 years, and I'm 18 so the math works :P But yeah I'm so excited and just wanna talk about this. So let me know what you think about my theories, or present your own!

RobinoZombie
05-22-2008, 02:14 AM
ill wait until the correct lyrics comes out;)

BigFish
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I think the lyrics are pretty accurate already and its fun to speculate :)

Camilamazed
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ill wait until the correct lyrics comes out;)

My thoughts exactly.

IamSam
05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
This Thread Already Exists (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32367)

Da Mander
11-25-2008, 03:04 AM
I effin love this song
I don't know what the meaning of it is, exactly..
But, it reminds me alot of my ex, Nick, who was a jerk..
He lies about everything, to keep himself out of shit..
He pretended to be one of his "Best friends" on MSN, to cover his ass, so the friend would have to deal with his shit after he got what he wanted from what he was doing..
He cheated on me && used me, for sex.. && told everyone I used him && was cheating on him, the entire time..
He tried to get into my pants after I had already given him a second change to proove he'd change, which he didn't take..
He took one of his "Best friends" little sister's virginity, then refused to have a relationship, with her..
&& I guess this song, sorta makes me think of him, in a sarcastic way with, "You're gonna go far, kid"
So, yeps.. <333

Budzy
11-25-2008, 04:00 AM
Yes, the song is obviously about Ninjas.

sbazzone
11-25-2008, 05:31 AM
dexter said in two interviews what about is the song:

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/suplementos/no/12-3695-2008-10-23.html

http://www.clarin.com/suplementos/si/2008/06/13/3-01692762.htm

and btw, gravedigging.

http://www.nativewoodland.eu/uploads/images/Misc%20Pics/Grave-digging_sml.JPG

SK8rocka
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I effin love this song
I don't know what the meaning of it is, exactly..
But, it reminds me alot of my ex, Nick, who was a jerk..
He lies about everything, to keep himself out of shit..
He pretended to be one of his "Best friends" on MSN, to cover his ass, so the friend would have to deal with his shit after he got what he wanted from what he was doing..
He cheated on me && used me, for sex.. && told everyone I used him && was cheating on him, the entire time..
He tried to get into my pants after I had already given him a second change to proove he'd change, which he didn't take..
He took one of his "Best friends" little sister's virginity, then refused to have a relationship, with her..
&& I guess this song, sorta makes me think of him, in a sarcastic way with, "You're gonna go far, kid"
So, yeps.. <333

wow i love this story.

Offspring-Junkie
11-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I think it's generally the same content as Original Prankster: Someone does wrong and gets away with it. I do think that artists intend to repeat certain topics in more than one song to deal with it.

BitOBear
09-23-2009, 03:17 AM
[reposted from elsewhere]

The song is about a person, the singer, who is first amazed by and then overdone by a person (the person being sung to/about, e.g. the "kid") who used deceit and misrepresentation to make other people take harm or abuse the people they believe to be their enemies or who are seen as an obstacle...

I particular the person being sung about is a vengeful and petty prick.

Transcription uncertainties in square brackets with most likely possibilities separated by "|" when I have a guess, as in [a word|awkward] etc...

Lyrics:

Show me how to lie,
you're getting better all the time,
and turning all against one
is an art thats hard to teach.
Another clever word
sets off an unsuspecting herd,
and as you step back into line
a mob jumps to their [theme|feet].

Now dance, fucker, dance.
He never had a chance.
And no one ever knew,
it was really only you.
And now you steal away,
[take him out|taken out] today.
Nice work you did.
You're gonna go far kid.

-- Chorus --
With a thousand lies and a good disguise
hit um right between the eyes.
Hit um right between the eyes.
When you walk away, nothing more to say,
See the lightning in your eyes.
See them running for their lives.

Slowly out of line,
and drifting closer in your sights.
So play it out, I'm wide awake,
it's a scene about me.
There's something in your way,
and now someone's gonna pay.
And if you can't get what you want,
well its all because of me.

Man I never had a chance.
And no one even knew,
it was really only you.
And now you lead the way,
[shown|shone] the light of day,
Nice work you did.
You're gonna go far kid.

([trust deceived!]) ##<- ed. this is a real guess here

-- Chorus --

He never had a chance.
And no one even knew,
it was really only you.
So dance, fucker, dance.
I never had a chance.
It was really only you.

-- Chorus --

((garbled...)) [your prize], [lord of the flies]. <<-- total guess --<<

======

Imagery Analysis: (I'm about the same age as Dexter, so what I get from the song is likely based on the same cultural assumptions.)

The most important image is "dance, fucker, dance" which most likely goes back to "dancing at the end of a rope", which is common imagery when combined with rousing a mob to action etc. [See Lynching etc.]

Alternately see/consider "I'm dancing as fast as I can" etc, meaning when someone gets stuck in front of a sea of detractors and has to spend all their time trying to explain things that maybe happened, or maybe didn't instead of getting to get on with their real purpose.

In the third, a possible root is as in "now dance, partner" uttered by cowboy-A just before cowboy-A starts shooting in the vicinity of cowboy-B's feet. The exercise being to publically humiliate cowboy-B by forcing him to jump about to avoid having his foot shot.

Additionally the use of "kid" in this form usually refers to an upstart (youngster), fan, supposed appellant, or apprentice; or a trusted and or trustable close junior associate. (The diminutive being the endeared or possessed, as in "these are my boys", "this is my girl", "hes a good kid".)

Mob plus lynching is where I put my money.

No matter how else you view it, the "kid" in the song is a betrayer and a prick of impressive magnitude.

The first verse is very much "you gotta teach me that" which is half-sarcastic for how the hell did you do _that_.

As for the "theme" versus "feet"; The first makes the most sense (since "kid" cannot step back into line if the mob isn't already "on their feet") and has a better closure as the mob is marching to the theme of the words. Bit once I saw the second option here I have to admit it matches Dexter's intonation as well. I choose the former because it's better and Dexter doesn't usually swallow his t's, making "feet" unlikely. I call it a you-pick line. 8-)

Harleyquiiinn
09-23-2009, 03:36 AM
I always thought this song was about Alex Krycek.

tony8085
02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
If I am not mistaken this song is about the fight between not only David and Golliath, but also Saul and his revolt against GOD.

TheOldMark
02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I have long believed that the lyrics are at least loosely based on Obama. Of course, written before he was president. There are a few lines I believe reference the battle between him and Hilary. This is my interpretation.

TommyBoy83
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Alright it's not about an assassin and it's not about the book "lord of the flies" When he says hit him right between the eyes that just means shoot to kill or kill in one shot. Not literly kill though. And when he says towards the end of the song "lord of the flies" he's not talking about the book because where do you think the phrase "lord of the flies" comes from? It means to be the ruler of a worthless society, so for all of you who are retarded and think that they would write a whole song about a kid's book just look it up.

chicapowerpunk
04-14-2010, 05:52 PM
It has great lyrics,but always i said that this lyrics has double meaning,i believe may be a dad saying to his son about an chance... we should to know,is the contex....:rolleyes::p

Jojan
04-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I think it is about oral sex.

RexDarr
04-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Hasn't this Kid gone FAR ENOUGH???? Seriously! How far does he have to go?

beccastokes
05-11-2010, 07:23 PM
this song is actually about the book Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It's a little hard to get at first, but you have to think about it like what Ralph, the protagonist, would say to Jack, the antagonist. the line 'turning all against one' is about when Jack gets all the boys on the island to try and kill Ralph. the line "dance fucker dance" is about the multiple parts in the book where Jack gets all the boys to participate in a kind of wild, tribe-like dance after they kill the "beast". the lines about a 'good disguise' is about when Jack paints his face and gets a 'war mask'. "hit him right between the eyes" is when the boys kill another, minor protagonist, Piggy. Piggy gets a rock dropped on him, right between the eyes. The strongest evidence, however, is in the last 20 seconds when they say "alibis, Lord of the flies."

batfish
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
The first verse makes me think it's about the media stirring things up - "clever words", "a mob jumps to their feet". I think it could be a reference to the way the media have been reporting on the situation in the Middle East over the past decade, or just the way some reports in general are totally biased and create a "bad guy" that everyone loves to hate, but who isn't really bad.

But that doesn't quite square with the lines "So play it out, I'm wide awake,
it's a scene about me." Maybe it's about the right-wing media going after liberal people?

Colbey_54
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
The first time I heard this song, one subject immediately came to mind.

Now, I may be guilty here of contorting the facts the meet my perception of what this song really means, but I have a feeling I'm not too far off base with this one.

While examining the song, I took the following facts into consideration:
#1 - The album cover art for this single is a Bald Eagle with a red X over its eyes. The Bald Eagle is a symbol of the US, and the national bird. An X over the eyes, in art, typically means extreme damage or death. The fact that it's red, I believe, is only accentuated by the fact that the rest of the artwork is black and white, bringing attention to the symbol, not necessarily meaning one political party or another.

#2 - The album was written from November 2006 - April 2008. This was a time when some of the most heated debates and political runnings were occurring here in the United States (which eventually resulted in Obama versus McCain).

#3 - Offspring songs typically reflect/speak on American culture, usually with no holds barred. However, Dexter Holland, prior to the release of Americana, spoke about how US culture has become too "PC" and it's strangling effect on people.

I personally think this song speaks directly to Barack Obama. And below is a line-by-line explanation of why I think so:

Show me how to lie
You're getting better all the time
(Obama was a freshman politician, and politicians are known for lying or speaking half-truths (reference to half-truism?))
And turning all against the one
Is an art that's hard to teach
(The racial divide created by Obama's success was VERY evident in the mainstream media at the time)
Another clever word
Sets off an unsuspecting herd
(Certain speeches given during the time were somewhat inflammatory towards people with opposing views, but they were spoken with a certain finesse' that allowed for wiggle room)
And as you step back into line
A mob jumps to their feet
(The "mob" in this case probably refers to the "followers" of Obama, who did not question the rhetoric)

Now dance, f****r, dance
Man, he never had a chance
(The "he" in this song probably refers to McCain)
And no one even knew
It was really only you
("Really only you" probably refers to the fact that it may not have been the rhetoric or promises, but may refer to a "genetic" trait specific to Obama that tipped the scales in his favor)

And now you steal away
Take him out today
Nice work you did
You're gonna go far, kid
(These lines are probably representative of the statements made by the Democratic party towards Obama)

With a thousand lies
(Politicians are notorious for lying)
And a good disguise
(Obama was accused of being a closet muslim)
Hit'em right between the eyes
(Perhaps referring to the impact of Obama's success)
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(Nothing more to say because his words are to be taken as absolute and non-arguable)
See the lightning in your eyes
(Referencing a certain "fire" in his eyes when he was questioned early in his career)
See'em running for their lives
(The number of gun sales following his election rose dramatically)

Slowly out of line
And drifting closer in your sights
(I got nothing on this one)
So play it out I'm wide awake
It's a scene about me
(The "me" in this, and subsequent lines, probably refers to the people who saw the election for what it really was)
There's something in your way
And now someone is gonna pay
(Speaking of deliberate political attacks on people, and other politicians who don't agree with him)
And if you can't get what you want
Well it's all because of me
(Again, the "me" is the person/people standing in Obama's way)

Now dance, f****r, dance
Man, I never had a chance
(These two lines probably refer to the idea that people who are pro-absolute-freedom (Such as Dexter Holland) "never had a chance" once Obama was elected)
And no one even knew
It was really only you
(Him, not his policies (See above))

And now you'll lead the way
Show the light of day
Nice work you did
You're gonna go far, kid
(Speaking about how the Democrats see things)
Trust, deceived!
(Speaking of how the opposition sees things)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

Now dance, f****r, dance
He never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you
(See above)

So dance, f****r, dance
I never had a chance
It was really only you
(See above)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

Clever alibis
Lord of the flies
(This line is the primary reason I think this song is politically charged as there are many parallels: two different groups, a "false" threat that everyone thinks is real, comparing the voters to young children...you can read the book to find more)
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

JUST my opinion, I could be completely wrong, but I think it warrants honest consideration.

Tijs
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
The first time I heard this song, one subject immediately came to mind.

Now, I may be guilty here of contorting the facts the meet my perception of what this song really means, but I have a feeling I'm not too far off base with this one.

While examining the song, I took the following facts into consideration:
#1 - The album cover art for this single is a Bald Eagle with a red X over its eyes. The Bald Eagle is a symbol of the US, and the national bird. An X over the eyes, in art, typically means extreme damage or death. The fact that it's red, I believe, is only accentuated by the fact that the rest of the artwork is black and white, bringing attention to the symbol, not necessarily meaning one political party or another.

#2 - The album was written from November 2006 - April 2008. This was a time when some of the most heated debates and political runnings were occurring here in the United States (which eventually resulted in Obama versus McCain).

#3 - Offspring songs typically reflect/speak on American culture, usually with no holds barred. However, Dexter Holland, prior to the release of Americana, spoke about how US culture has become too "PC" and it's strangling effect on people.

I personally think this song speaks directly to Barack Obama. And below is a line-by-line explanation of why I think so:

Show me how to lie
You're getting better all the time
(Obama was a freshman politician, and politicians are known for lying or speaking half-truths (reference to half-truism?))
And turning all against the one
Is an art that's hard to teach
(The racial divide created by Obama's success was VERY evident in the mainstream media at the time)
Another clever word
Sets off an unsuspecting herd
(Certain speeches given during the time were somewhat inflammatory towards people with opposing views, but they were spoken with a certain finesse' that allowed for wiggle room)
And as you step back into line
A mob jumps to their feet
(The "mob" in this case probably refers to the "followers" of Obama, who did not question the rhetoric)

Now dance, f****r, dance
Man, he never had a chance
(The "he" in this song probably refers to McCain)
And no one even knew
It was really only you
("Really only you" probably refers to the fact that it may not have been the rhetoric or promises, but may refer to a "genetic" trait specific to Obama that tipped the scales in his favor)

And now you steal away
Take him out today
Nice work you did
You're gonna go far, kid
(These lines are probably representative of the statements made by the Democratic party towards Obama)

With a thousand lies
(Politicians are notorious for lying)
And a good disguise
(Obama was accused of being a closet muslim)
(Perhaps referring to the impact of Obama's success)
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(Nothing more to say because his words are to be taken as absolute and non-arguable)
(Referencing a certain "fire" in his eyes when he was questioned early in his career)
(The number of gun sales following his election rose dramatically)

Slowly out of line
And drifting closer in your sights
(I got nothing on this one)
So play it out I'm wide awake
It's a scene about me
(The "me" in this, and subsequent lines, probably refers to the people who saw the election for what it really was)
There's something in your way
And now someone is gonna pay
(Speaking of deliberate political attacks on people, and other politicians who don't agree with him)
And if you can't get what you want
Well it's all because of me
(Again, the "me" is the person/people standing in Obama's way)

Now dance, f****r, dance
Man, I never had a chance
(These two lines probably refer to the idea that people who are pro-absolute-freedom (Such as Dexter Holland) "never had a chance" once Obama was elected)
And no one even knew
It was really only you
(Him, not his policies (See above))

And now you'll lead the way
Show the light of day
Nice work you did
You're gonna go far, kid
(Speaking about how the Democrats see things)
Trust, deceived!
(Speaking of how the opposition sees things)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

Now dance, f****r, dance
He never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you
(See above)

So dance, f****r, dance
I never had a chance
It was really only you
(See above)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

Clever alibis
Lord of the flies
(This line is the primary reason I think this song is politically charged as there are many parallels: two different groups, a "false" threat that everyone thinks is real, comparing the voters to young children...you can read the book to find more)
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
(See above)

JUST my opinion, I could be completely wrong, but I think it warrants honest consideration.I really like the song's beat.

Britpunk
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
RAFRAG Street date: 17 June 2008.

Barack Obama assumes office: 20 Jan 2009

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but so is the constant progress of time.

If anything this song is about hereditary political candidates (of any political party) who are born into dynastic families, essentially trained from birth to take the political mantle. And who might be the primary person who was in the news rather a lot back then?

Little_Miss_1565
10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Part of the fun of songs is being able to tease out lots of meanings from them, but that doesn't necessarily mean what you're getting from it is the deep secret meaning of the song.