PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Hammerhead?

General Chaos
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
First, I'm a fan. Second, I hate the lyrics to Hammerhead. Never been a soldier, but I'm the son of a Marine. I tried to be a "punk rocker", but found that there are far to many punkers that are supposed to be unique, original, not followers of any "group think". I've found that it's completely the opposite.

The lyrics to Hammerhead I think suggest that our troops blindly shoot and kill without knowing or caring who or why they are shooting at. Man, I'll give these guys (offspring) credit for having the guts to say something so ridiculous. Do a little research on the Hussein regime in Iraq. Hundreds of thousands killed so that one man could remain in power through fear and intimidation. Rape, torture, and murder were the norm. But, apparently the offspring would rather we lock our doors, close the shades and never look out the windows at the world and attempt to save others. One could argue that we should also be in Darfur, and I agree, but then you'd all bitch about that too.

Anyhow, next time, also have the guts to be original. You guys now make me think of a different tune. "Whatever it is, I'm against it"! :mad:

Forza
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Nice interpretation.

But you're wrong.

T-6005
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that "brothers in arms" line really make the song slant that way.

medi01
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
dude...listen to what the band says........its fuck all to do with armed forces etc...its to do with school shootings...seriously:

And you can all hide behind your desks now
And you can cry "teacher come help me"

next time listen to others before making ur own opinion...gives a more rounded and accurate point of view

...i dunno who the hammerhead is but i sure for hell know ur the dickhead

The Search Button
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Who's the Hammerhead???

Apparently you.

General Chaos
05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
I didn't pick up on the whole school shootings thing. Hope you are right, ...and I'm wrong. That way I can still enjoy the song!

RobinoZombie
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
well said!

medi01
05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=springishereagainkk2.jpg

for once wikipedia was right as thats were i saw it...soz for goin a bit ott

Jesus
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I didn't pick up on the whole school shootings thing. Hope you are right, ...and I'm wrong. That way I can still enjoy the song!
Dexter said it was about school shootings, which is obvious if you read the lyrics.

I give you credit for admitting you're wrong, now if you would admit that you're wrong about the Iraqi war too then everything is fine. ;)

General Chaos
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
The only problem with the Iraq war is that we used some lame ass excuse to go in. We should have said, "this is a bad guy who's killing far to many innocent people (300,000 kurds)". Rather than try to tie them into 911.

War is never "right". It's a necessary reality. Show me a country without an army!

General Chaos
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM

By the link, I was wrong. There, it's official. I got hung up on the "authority vested in me" line.

RobinoZombie
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Sweden, haha
theyve made some calculations and broke it down that we couldnt overcome a military occupation or attack.

malibu43
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Dexter said it was about school shootings, which is obvious if you read the lyrics.

I give you credit for admitting you're wrong, now if you would admit that you're wrong about the Iraqi war too then everything is fine. ;)

I'll be honest, my interpretation is a little more in line with General's. Obviously we're wrong, since Dexter has stated otherwise.

But even though I knew that Dexter already said the song was about school shootings, the only thing I see in the lyrics that supports school shootings being the subject are the last two lines. Everything else, seems to me, to point to military.

So, anyway, the point of this was just to say that had I not be told otherwise, I would totally agree with General Chaos (about the subject matter, not necissarily crticism of the band)...

medi01
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I think most ppl originally interpreted it to be about war...but having read the article and reading between the lines its clear to see

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
What I get from it is that it's written from the point of view of the shooter, who is deluded and crazy and thinks that what he is doing is noble and imagines himself on a battlefield. But at the end of the song, it's revealed ("Teacher come help me") that he is not on the battlefield, but rather in a school. Twisted. Love it.

Cock Joke
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
What Noodles said in the interview after one of the KROQ songs is that you're supposed to think it's a soldier, but you later find out it's a school shooter.

Diego06
05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
First, I'm a fan. Second, I hate the lyrics to Hammerhead. Never been a soldier, but I'm the son of a Marine. I tried to be a "punk rocker", but found that there are far to many punkers that are supposed to be unique, original, not followers of any "group think". I've found that it's completely the opposite.

The lyrics to Hammerhead I think suggest that our troops blindly shoot and kill without knowing or caring who or why they are shooting at. Man, I'll give these guys (offspring) credit for having the guts to say something so ridiculous. Do a little research on the Hussein regime in Iraq. Hundreds of thousands killed so that one man could remain in power through fear and intimidation. Rape, torture, and murder were the norm. But, apparently the offspring would rather we lock our doors, close the shades and never look out the windows at the world and attempt to save others. One could argue that we should also be in Darfur, and I agree, but then you'd all bitch about that too.

Anyhow, next time, also have the guts to be original. You guys now make me think of a different tune. "Whatever it is, I'm against it"! :mad:

i believe that the song is not specially against the american army, but against the war and fanatism.you can say that the man they talk about on the song is an american soldier, or a man from Iraq, or a man from an other country in an other war. They say at the end "You can hide behind your desks now..." so it can be about a murderer on school's shootings, but it can be about a religious fanatics("i believe i serve a greater good") who kill children on school. I'm french so i can say that the song talk about someone from my country in a war in the past or something... I believe that a band who have fans in many country like us make songs that everybody can have his interpretation. They absolutely don't say "we don't like our country and our army" it's not like Green day, who sings clearly against american politic. Noddlles just says: "its a song about a guy who believe he serve a greater good and he kill everybody" So with this sentence we can do one thousand interpretations, but it's only my point of view

ernesto88
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
you are to young boy. In our country also we have suffered these problems in the schools - universities...

jim109109
05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
What I get from it is that it's written from the point of view of the shooter, who is deluded and crazy and thinks that what he is doing is noble and imagines himself on a battlefield. But at the end of the song, it's revealed ("Teacher come help me") that he is not on the battlefield, but rather in a school. Twisted. Love it.

Exactly right.

ernesto88
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
i like your writing. i think that a song (exept the song are too explicit) can be interpreted of diferents forms, and a song can produce different feelings in every person

F@ BANKZ
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I always interpreted "school shootings" as him being indoctrinated to the point where he's beyond self-control. '65's point is valid, but I remain unconvinced by a single line, though I never truly believed my interpretation would be the "correct" one.

Also: Does anybody else hear "locked and loaded, voices screaming let's go" first time as "my deluded voices screaming let's go", it's probably just me.

jim109109
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Also: Does anybody else hear "locked and loaded, voices screaming let's go" first time as "my deluded voices screaming let's go", it's probably just me.

me too actually

ThunderPX
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Of course it was right, I added it. :P

Johnny Birdbrook
05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Show me a country without an army!

There are 25 in our World. Costa Ricas laws, for example, forbid an army and it works :)

Ok, most of the countries are protected by an other one, but those which don't, ain't got problems by beeing not protected.

Drafan
05-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Itīs not about soldiers (theyīre just doing what they are told), itīs about your leaders, about your fucking politics. You wanna save whole world, I donīt want whole world to be like USA. There would be always two truths.

mr.titters
05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
This is the first time I've written anything on this forum, so I hope I don't come off as a massive dick, I dont think I will though. Is it just me or is war stupid in general? I mean think about it, would there be wars if it weren't for government? And didn't punk rock start out as a cry against government? Anarchy anyone? I know a bunch of kids who want to go to war and become soldiers just to kill people and because they want to fight for our freedom. I think as long as we have to have a government, freedom is limited. Word.

Johnny Birdbrook
05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
hey, you're not alone, I also did my first post in this thread :D

Anarchy would problaby be an uncontrolled war, probably much more war that than we have now. So that wouldn't be a solution. But i totally agree that war's kinda unecessary. The problem is not really the government i think. The reason why we have armys is that the other countries got 'em too. So if all big nations would start to abolish their armys, there would be different possible futures.

1. All the other nations follow for peace and a lot of money they would save^^

2. The big countries are going to be assaulted.

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Sometimes, people make a war. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=--Vaz9jW054)

drex878
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Sometimes, people make a war. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=--Vaz9jW054)

Hahahaha. Thanks for that.

Johnny Birdbrook
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
awsome.
i actually really like it :D

nice voices, nice musik, nice lyrics....^^
unfortuneally a redicioules rapper (with a cool voice) who destroys the serious song it could've been.

Yeah. c'mon. let's ride.

thanks for that clip :D

(how do i write awsome by the way? xD )

bubbahead
05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
The way I heard the song......it's about being a soldier in Iraq...doing your job...and having to live with war. Right, Wrong, Or Indifferent....these guys are there putting their lives on the line for us. They have to live with it. Just my opinion.

QUOTE=General Chaos;1115895]First, I'm a fan. Second, I hate the lyrics to Hammerhead. Never been a soldier, but I'm the son of a Marine. I tried to be a "punk rocker", but found that there are far to many punkers that are supposed to be unique, original, not followers of any "group think". I've found that it's completely the opposite.

Anyhow, next time, also have the guts to be original. You guys now make me think of a different tune. "Whatever it is, I'm against it"! :mad:[/QUOTE]

mr.titters
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, I personally like the lyrics. And I absolutely fucking love the song. I couldn't be more pleased with The Offspring. RAFRAG is already one of the highlights of my year. Had a shitty year so far, but this music is keeping me going.

Camilamazed
05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Let's me explain in a simpler way.

The song was meant to be trick like this so we all think it is about the obvious (war) and in the end we find out it is about school shooting.

It is just to say that we are all only talking about the war and bla bla bla but we forget we have another problem. A major problem at schools. So the society only knows how to criticize the governtment but is uncapable of taking care of the generations to come.

So the song is something like : Hello, the kids aren't alright!!!!!!!

Motaboy80
05-23-2008, 02:46 AM

The song was meant to be trick like this so we all think it is about the obvious (war) and in the end we find out it is about school shooting.

It is just to say that we are all only talking about the war and bla bla bla but we forget we have another problem. A major problem at schools. So the society only knows how to criticize the governtment but is uncapable of taking care of the generations to come.

In my opinion this is totally about the war. Said Dexter whateva :)

Like the lyrics "To keep my people from harm" and "With my brothers in arms" are more related to war than school shooters who are mostly loners with just few friends, i think.

but this part "And you can all hide behind your desks now And you can cry 'teacher come help me!'" is obviously related to shootings at schools.

Hopefully those future shooters wonīt get any influences from this song--:(

The Search Button
05-23-2008, 04:35 AM

May I kiss your brains?

This song is also about people who can't interpret things.

Camilamazed
05-23-2008, 05:16 AM
In my opinion this is totally about the war. Said Dexter whateva :)

At first we all thought about it. But then it cannot be something other than the writer said. We have to accpet what it is.

Like the lyrics "To keep my people from harm" and "With my brothers in arms" are more related to war than school shooters who are mostly loners with just few friends, i think.

"People" here symbolizes all the people who somehow have gone through the same experience.

"With my brothers in arms" represents all the school shooters. Those who inspired the shooter of the song.

Hopefully those future shooters wonīt get any influences from this song--:

Well, they don't need to the song to be influenced. They have each other.

Superdope
05-23-2008, 05:58 AM

You are correct. thumbs up!

malibu43
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM

This song is also about people who can't interpret things.

That was funny.

ad8
05-23-2008, 09:21 AM

You can't say more than the truth. Please close this thread now before people start again with "It's about the war, no matter what Dexter says":mad:

Hypodermic_89
05-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Dude, you should do a little fucking research about the song before you decide to open your fuckhole on the forums. The song is about school shootings, Dexter Holland has stated that himself. You honestly make me so angry that I would seriously take a fishing hook and push it into your eye very slowly. Then I'd leave it there and do everything in my power to get it infected as quickly as possible. Then I'd take some salt and pour it in your eye. And I wouldn't even feel bad. Fuck.

medi01
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Dude, you should do a little fucking research about the song before you decide to open your fuckhole on the forums. The song is about school shootings, Dexter Holland has stated that himself. You honestly make me so angry that I would seriously take a fishing hook and push it into your eye very slowly. Then I'd leave it there and do everything in my power to get it infected as quickly as possible. Then I'd take some salt and pour it in your eye. And I wouldn't even feel bad. Fuck.

yeah maybe he should've... but he now knows that he was wrong...

dexter also said that "people (i.e. you) need to chill the fuck out"

shove that in you pipe and smoke it

Amiralanal
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM

I hate this kind of fake-patriotism.
Patriotism is about defending your civil liberties, which is what most americans should be doing now. Patriotism is not waving a flag and making retarded posts on a forum.

0r4ng3
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
All of you. Consider reading past the first post. The guy knows he's wrong. So chillax out.

Smash punker
05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Guess a soldier or some sort of a rank in army.

Free?
05-24-2008, 04:19 AM
To me Hammerhead seems to be about both soldiers and school shooters. It's like looking at mistakes of war through the eyes of a school murderer and showing some similarities. You can read a line twice and interpret it in 2 different ways, and the both meanings will sound good which is really amazing thing. Like "brothers in arms" can mean soldiers and school shooters ( Camilamazed \o/ ;) ) at the same time for example.
So what i want to say is that Hammerhead isn't just only about school shooters, it's aswell about blind soldiers that believe they "serve a greater good" and use "I'm just doing what I'm told" as an excuse, about how people (not only soldiers or school maniacs) prefer to shut their eyes and not to think before making a big mistake when it's easier for them to do so, about how it's nothing unusual in our world and "that's just the way it goes", about that there are allways two sides and nothing is absolute good or evil and if you keep living with only your point of view you may make some huge mistakes without even realizing that you are wrong...
Don't use Dexter's words to make it sound like it's only about school shootings. But maybe I'm wrong and it's all just my imagination, nothing is absolute you know.... :P
P.S. Hey guys, my first post here, let's have a good time :)

ad8
05-24-2008, 04:25 AM
It's Cool To Hate.

Free?
05-24-2008, 08:45 AM
It's Cool To Hate.
uhm... I know there are allways some good laconic lines to put into conversation, but this one doesn't really look like one of them to me. Offtopic? :/

yelloweyeyes
05-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up, because I didn't read the whole thread, but in a way this song is about war as well as school shootings. The whole point of the song is to make you think that the song is about war, until it is revealed at the end that it is actually about some kid shooting up his school. The song compares school shootings to a war mentality.

Unnatural Disaster
05-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up, because I didn't read the whole thread, but in a way this song is about war as well as school shootings. The whole point of the song is to make you think that the song is about war, until it is revealed at the end that it is actually about some kid shooting up his school. The song compares school shootings to a war mentality.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Dexter spends the whole song singing about a school shooter, but he does it in a way that makes you think of a soldier in war up until the end, and then it just hits you. Like BAM! I think I have a new found love for the lyrics for Hammerhead now.

commonrider5447
05-24-2008, 11:48 PM
I remember an interview where Noodles was talking about his strong anti-war and anti-Bush stance, and Dexter was saying he is somewhere in between, so yeah just FYI Dexter is pretty moderate hes not crazy anti-war or anything

Living in Chaos
05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey, it's what punk does... Pisses people off.

keonii7
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
It's Cool To Hate.

Good point. Even noodles says it.

Unnatural Disaster
05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I remember an interview where Noodles was talking about his strong anti-war and anti-Bush stance, and Dexter was saying he is somewhere in between, so yeah just FYI Dexter is pretty moderate hes not crazy anti-war or anything

Noodles has worn Anti-Bush shirts ever since 2004 (to my knowledge).

I know he has a muscle tee that says "Not My President"

and he has one with a pic of GWB and the word "LIAR" right under it.

MATKO5000
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM

If you really support US troops, then you're an idiot.

Unnatural Disaster
05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
If you really support US troops, then you're an idiot.

There's nothing wrong in supporting the troops. I don't want a single troop to die. I support them and want them to make it home safe.

MAD IAN
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't support anybody.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-31-2008, 08:30 AM

Noodles said even before it was available to download it's about school shootings

ASC
05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
I always interpreted "school shootings" as him being indoctrinated to the point where he's beyond self-control. '65's point is valid, but I remain unconvinced by a single line, though I never truly believed my interpretation would be the "correct" one.

yeah I hear that too

so.cal.1970
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
O.K., first post and I don't usually wade into these forums but felt strongly enough this time so here goes...

I love this song, love the Offspring and have for a long time.

Musical lyrics always face the "law of unintended consequences," where anyone who listens can interpret...or hijack...the "meaning" however they want. For those that have been around a while, remember the Ozzy "Suicide Solution" controversy? What about all those politicians that have "theme" songs playing in the background while campaigning? How about all those sappy "love" songs people put on mix tapes for their loved one, when a lot of them are really about breaking up/being depressed? It goes on and on. That said, as listeners we have the freedom to take away whatever meaning we want from music.

This song resonates with personal experiences I had overseas. It is also a great song to work out to, and Offspring music is a perfect soundtrack for extreme sports videos. Is this what Offspring meant when they made it? Probably not. Do I care whether it is originally anti-war or whatever? No. And lyrics are often metaphorical and vague enough (though in this case when taken literally most of the song sounds spot on) that I could make an argument that this is a great song for our guys kicking down doors and getting the bad guys, about the often conflicting emotions and insanity of combat, and that although the last part of the song was originally meant to be about school shootings, you could also interpret it as a commentary on the "sheeple" factor: you can sit passively and wait to be killed, or you can strap it on (like the guys with camouflage and guns, or the heroes on Flight 93) and get after it.

Either way, the song, the album, and the Offspring, like always, kick ass.

Free?
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Hello, so.cal.1970. :) Nice to see quite an intelligent newcomer here. Good thread to post your message! Scroll back 1 page and you'll find my 1st post :p Welcome.

todd5593
06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
OMFG
im sure this has been said before. im so pissed i didnt even look at all the posts.
THIS SONG IS NOT ABOUT WAR WHATSOEVER. ITS ABOUT A SCHOOL SHOOTER WHO GOES CRAZY AND THINKS HES DOING THE RIGHT THING "SERVING HIS COUNTRY" NOODLES SAID IT IN AN INTERVIEW. NOTICE THE LYRICS OF THE BRIDGE/OUTRO THINGY.

Count Zaroff
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I have to admit I haven't read the entire thread, maybe someone else already said it ... at least I suppose.
But I think the point in Hammerhead is that the whole song you think it's a criticizm of war itself, of guys just following orders and not feeling all too bad with it, cause taking lives is serving the saving of lives on the other hand and so on ........ and then in the end of the song you recognize that it has never been about war, but about a school shooter and his crazy view on the case and on himself. And that's what I adore about this song. It has a storytwist like some good movies have and you also have three layers of interpretation:
- war is bad
- people trying to legitimate war are bad ..... and
- people fighting a personal war against random other guys and shooting their way out are even worse :D
Which one you choose to look on the song is your own thing for sure ;>