PDA

View Full Version : A view on the press.

RonWelty
05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
http://idolator.com/392674/an-avalanche-of-a+list-rock-debuts-topped-by-the-freakin-offspring

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/19/metallica-raconteurs-turn-up-the-volume-at-kroq-weenie-roast-in-la/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-weenie19-2008may19,0,5344220.story

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN1849626620080519

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_2045587.php

http://www.newuniversity.org/main/article?slug=kroq_roasts_more_weenies154

"band just walked offstage", i Think this is one of the major problems in THE OFFSPRING live concerts... they doesn´t have a connection with the crowd...

medi01
05-22-2008, 11:45 AM
well this proves that some of the media are douchebags with no taste

Gustavo
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
The fact is that The Offspring doesn't have that much of empolgation as they did before.
In the '90s, there were lots of interesting things... like, in intermission... that fat guy, higgins' beer, the couch and stuff... in the 99 there was Guy Cohen... nowadays they just play their songs, they don't bring people to stage anymore (like they did in Session in Rockpalast 97), they don't stop in the middle of the song to talk to the crowd anymore (like they did in Self Esteem of much music 2000)... They relly should be more spontaneous, like... Try some new things!!
It'd be awesome to have a new character on stage, someone like Guy Cohen, or that guy that appeared in Woodstock 99 during Walla Walla, that prison one.

That's what I think.
But still I'm a big Offspring fan and they are my favorite band =)

Jesus
05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Most of the reviews were quite positive.

Cock Joke
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Fucking paparazzi shitwads!

IamSam
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Most of the reviews were quite positive.

Very true. There really isn't anything to be upset about with these reviews. Many say that they still have it and say Hammerhead is going to be big. One person even called it 'epic.'

randman21
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
"band just walked offstage", i Think this is one of the major problems in THE OFFSPRING live concerts... they doesn´t have a connection with the crowd...

In the '90s, there were lots of interesting things... like, in intermission... that fat guy, higgins' beer, the couch and stuff... in the 99 there was Guy Cohen... nowadays they just play their songs, they don't bring people to stage anymore (like they did in Session in Rockpalast 97), they don't stop in the middle of the song to talk to the crowd anymore (like they did in Self Esteem of much music 2000)... They relly should be more spontaneous, like... Try some new things!!
It'd be awesome to have a new character on stage, someone like Guy Cohen, or that guy that appeared in Woodstock 99 during Walla Walla, that prison one.

I think the only reason they didn't do all that stuff is because they weren't really on their own time. The weren't headlining, and I guess they had a certain time to do the songs. Once they go on tour, I'm sure we'll see more of the classic Offspring antics.

...empolgation...
That's a new one to me, pal. Is that the word you meant to say?

Very true. There really isn't anything to be upset about with these reviews. Many say that they still have it and say Hammerhead is going to be big. One person even called it 'epic.'
The thing I liked the most was the one guy referring to them as underrated. Actually, I loved it.

holland25
05-22-2008, 01:39 PM
The fact is that The Offspring doesn't have that much of empolgation as they did before.

That's what I think.

Aaaand, I cannot help myself, I just have to do it - They tossed out guitar picks to the crowd, with offspring-ish artwork on it. They really did and they really have to do it again.

jacknife737
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
As of late they seem to be going for a "less talk, more rock" thing at their concerts. I don't mind crowd interaction, but at the end of the night, i'm their for the music. Btw, thanks for posting these RonWelty, an interesting thread. And as it has been mentioned, most of the reviews were positive.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
The thing I liked the most was the one guy referring to them as underrated. Actually, I loved it.

same here.
and i couldnt agree more

Cock Joke
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
"band just walked offstage",

What the hell are they gonna do? Tap-dance off the stage!? I mean, fuck! They're still just starting to get that energy back, you know? It's happening, too, I can feel it! First real "tour" in three years if you don't count the festivals in Japan and Australia!

I didn't check out those links yet, but I'm glad they've got positive things to say. Hammerhead blows a ton of other '08 singles outta the water! (Although "Falling Down" by Atreyu comes in a close second.) Give them time! They will bounce back!

Whew. I'm exhausted.

gabrielpatriarca
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM

That's what I think.

It's truth... in some of the late concerts after CO1 or splinter came out it seems like Dexter's doing an obligation, something he just had to do and didn't want to... you could see that in his face. In one of the recent interviews he said something like "when you're not having fun anymore it's time to stop and work on some stuff and that's why the new album took 5 years to come out"

GunForHire
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
As for the 'Idolator' piece - I'd be annoyed if I didn't realise it was a pretentious piece of crap blog. Who gives a shit about their opinion? Now if Rolling Stone had've come out and pissed all over the band I'd be more upset. All the other articles bar the first were positive, and as for the bands lack of chemistry on stage, I think that's to be expected considering they've only been back on tour after several years off for a little while now.

jacknife737
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
For those who don't feel like reading all the articles, a collection of random/interesting quotes.

The Offspring earns a career-best debut on the Modern Rock chart as "Hammerhead" opens at No. 5, logging the highest entry point for any title since Linkin Park's "What I've Done" debuted at No. 1 on the April 21, 2007, chart.

Leaning on many of the same ingredients of the Offspring’s punk-rock hit machine, “Hammerhead” offered drama and thunder along a rolling bassline to inspire some crowd surfing.

The single "Hammerhead" fit solidly in the group's familiar hard-but-catchy sonic framework, though its lyric, from inside the mind of a school shooter, is pretty dark for a band whose best songs have been sometimes satirical, sometimes sympathetic social observations.

Their set had some flat stretches, but such staples as "Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated)," "The Kids Aren't Alright," "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" and "Self Esteem" all reaffirmed the underrated band's gift for crafting deceptively dynamic songs with something on their mind.

With new drummer Pete Parada powering its heavy chug and guitarist Kevin "Noodles" Wasserman's fingers flailing as much as his now-long hair, the song was a reassuring (and reinvigorating) sign of life from the veteran Orange County punks, proof that there's plenty of fight left in 'em as they move into the thick of their 40s

Now they just need to scrub off some rust - the opening "Come Out and Play" bordered on lethargic, and it wasn't until "Staring at the Sun" and "Gotta Get Away" a half-dozen songs in that the group's turbo jets were turned on and things started to click.

The hour-long set was nothing short of amazing but came to an anti-climactic end when Dexter and the band simply walked offstage.

F@ BANKZ
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I always admired their charisma. Generally speaking, the people who like The Offspring love The Offspring. From what I've seen they're always joking with the crowed and spraying them with a giant hose, but then again, I haven't seen a great amount of live material since Summersonic '07.

Ps.Thanks for all of this.

Cock Joke
05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Now they just need to scrub off some rust - the opening "Come Out and Play" bordered on lethargic, and it wasn't until "Staring at the Sun" and "Gotta Get Away" a half-dozen songs in that the group's turbo jets were turned on and things started to click.

I have to agree with this one, actually. Thanks, jacknife, for putting those up. I actually see that initial comment in a much better sense now. :o

jim109109
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm actually happy that they played as many songs as they could in the time that was alloted for them. I hate it when bands waste half the time with crowd-talking and shit.

Also, it shows that they take their shows very seriously because they obviously practiced a lot beforehand; their performance was nothing short of superb.

Jack-UK
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree, i really think they should interact with the crowd more.. they used to... it just makes it seem kinda half assed... their music was great, lets get some more interaction and they will be the BEST GIGS EVER!!!

Lets hope they pull out all the stops for their album tour!

Blackball_
05-22-2008, 03:24 PM
What the hell are they gonna do? Tap-dance off the stage!? I mean, fuck! .

.. i think they hoped that they tossed out guitar pi..... :D

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
also with critics they can never win sometimes

if their songs are jokey, the critics want more serious fare

if they do more rockin songs, they say "hey, wheres the humor?"

HeadAroundU
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
The "freakin'" Offspring is back! That guy from the first article wasn't full of praise for them. This album will spit out at least 4 singles. He will hear them on the radio all the time. :p

Count Orlok
05-22-2008, 06:23 PM
also with critics they can never win sometimes

if their songs are jokey, the critics want more serious fare

if they do more rockin songs, they say "hey, wheres the humor?"

Besides most of the critics being positive,music is made for the fans and the band themselves and not for the critics!

mr.titters
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
From what I've seen on the internet, they had a lot more energy back in the nineties, and I hope they get that back. But I would buy tickets to see them in a flash either way.

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 05:39 AM
http://idolator.com/392674/an-avalanche-of-a+list-rock-debuts-topped-by-the-freakin-offspring

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/19/metallica-raconteurs-turn-up-the-volume-at-kroq-weenie-roast-in-la/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-weenie19-2008may19,0,5344220.story

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN1849626620080519

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_2045587.php

http://www.newuniversity.org/main/article?slug=kroq_roasts_more_weenies154

I like you.

Not only because you are my countrymen, but also because you bring great discussion topics that are soon washed away by the flow of unnecessary trash.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Besides most of the critics being positive,music is made for the fans and the band themselves and not for the critics!
thats what i mean, theyve never been a band that caters for critics.
it was an observation ive made about critics' view towards the band

Lord_Gabo
05-26-2008, 04:41 AM
It'd be awesome to have a new character on stage,That's what I think.

.......................good point.