PDA

View Full Version : when is someone going to do something bout oil and gas prices

come out swinging
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I cant believe what i am paying for gas. im paying 3.83 a gal and have a 11 gal tank for my 97 toyato corolla dx and it comes out to be like 37 bucks. in Europe it is a lot more like 10 a gal. wtf is going on. this is an outrage. i limit my driving to only to go to wrk and to the gym. good thing my wrk is only 6 miles away. my state gas price is 4.00 a gal. i have to drive 6 miles to Massachusetts to get it for a little cheaper. thats messed up. And on top of that the price changes by noon. Also they are using ethanol in gas. Ethanol burns a lot faster and causing corn to go up. By the end of summer gas prices are going to be 5.00 a gal where i live. If that happens i will buy a bike and ride to work and only drive my car in winter.

The United states does have oil fields but they dont want to drill. Take Alaska for example. its has plenty of oil but the land is owned by the government and they dont want to drill. some of the problem is fear that every1 is going to run out. In Sauda Arbria gas prices are so cheap. im not even going to say how much is is a gal cuz it gets me upset. Action must be taken. The USA is getting raped on imported gas and oil. The companies in the middle east are making a bundle. Ya if i lived there i will be very rich now. i wouldn't even have to work no more.

Llamas
05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
So how about instead of bitching about it, buy a bike now and stop driving so much? Take a bus, ride a bike, walk. I'm glad gas prices are going up. It's causing way more people to be smart and stop wasting gas. I don't like paying so much to fill my tank, but I've already been noticing a decrease in traffic during rush hour in the city here. People are driving less, and it's awesome.

Gas prices are much higher in Western Europe, and people there don't bitch about it like here. Granted, it's easier to get around without relying on cars as much in most places there, but still.

I've majorly cut back my driving, and I'm just waiting to leave the country again... maybe by the time I return, we'll be using an alternative to gasoline.

Little_Miss_1565
05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Um, I think they *did* try to do something about it. And now we've got 100 years in Iraq. Yeah, that worked out well.

Basically, when it comes to oil, we are dependent on big businesses that do not have "serve the public" in their to-do list. And we wouldn't be so dependent if we didn't rely so much on oil. I agree with Llamas, buy the bike now and pocket some cash. Six miles one way is nothing.

nieh
05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
So how about instead of bitching about it, buy a bike now and stop driving so much? Take a bus, ride a bike, walk.

I live in New Jersey where everything is at least 10 miles away from everything else. It's impossible to survive in a place like this without a car as public transport is virtually non-existent and it's too time consuming to walk everywhere.

Little_Miss_1565
05-23-2008, 10:19 PM
I live in New Jersey where everything is at least 10 miles away from everything else. It's impossible to survive in a place like this without a car as public transport is virtually non-existent and it's too time consuming to walk everywhere.

This is true, Jersey's public transit does not exist. But it should.

Rag Doll
05-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Seriously. In order to get to my job...I would need to somehow get across town (which is 15 minutes by car, cannot imagine it on foot..). get a bus to NYC. then take the PATH train *back* to jersey, because there is no other public transport to get to the town I need to go to, without taking like 10 different buses. It's just as bad for my boyfriend, if not worse. To get to the university we attend, from my house, we need to get to the same bus area previously mentioned. Then, take that bus to a different town. Find a bus in that town that comes back to the town I live in, but goes to the university.

For all of this, it's hours upon hours of commuting. and it's still expensive. NJTransit is *not* cheap. =\

Llamas
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey I totally relate. The Twin Cities have terrible public transport. We got a light rail system set up a few years ago, which has helped, but we're still such a far cry. To get from uptown Minneapolis to the University of Minnesota (which are in the same city), it takes less than 10 minutes to make the drive, but it takes 90 minutes by bus. There are only like two bus lines that go between Minneapolis and St. Paul, also, which is pathetic. Especially as someone who did not have a car for a good portion of time here, I'm the last person to think that anyone can get around just fine with public transportation.

I drive because I have to, yes. Literally, my primary job would not exist without cars. I have to travel as many as 40 miles in one direction each day, with a backseat full of equipment. Our public transport does not extend that far, I certainly can't bike 80 miles a day, and I would not be able to carry my equipment on a bus or bike. So I am not trying to say that everyone should stop driving and we should all be able to get along without using gas.

What I'm saying is that people need to reserve driving for necessity. I walk to the grocery store now, which is about 2 miles away. I walk to the coffee shops and just in general, as much as possible. I don't have a bus pass, so I don't bus anywhere. But I try to reserve driving for work, and I pass on social activities that require me to drive a long way. I make more effort to budget my time so that I can do several things at once while I'm at a certain place (for instance, I have a friend who lives about 25 miles away in a city called Edina. I sometimes pass through Edina on my way back from work, so I make my time to hang out with her while I'm passing through her city, rather than drive 25 miles each way to see her.) I push carpooling more, and I don't drive faster than 70mph because I know that smaller cars get the best mileage right around 60mph, and after that it just gets worse and worse.

These are more the points I was making, and I think Sarah got what I was saying... I think. And yeah, 6 miles on a bike is nothing. 6 miles walking is definitely more of a hassle.

Rag Doll
05-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I got what you were saying (and I'm guessing Josh did, but hey, who knows..). However, I don't think you're fully getting what we're saying. You say public transport sucks where you are, but here it's nearly non-existent. I can't get to the other side of my town with public transportation. Unless I first walk a few miles to a bus station, take a bus to a nearby town, walk around that town to find another bus station, and take a bus from there back to my town, but the other side. Like....no joke, it's that awful. And I don't live in the middle of nowhere, I live a 20 minute drive from NYC depending on traffic. It's a bit better where I work, because I work directly across the river from NYC....but it's sure as fuck hard to get there and back from my house or my boyfriend's house (and he's the next town over from where I work). And by the time all of that is done with, I might as well just pay for gas in my car, because the NJTransit prices are so expensive anyway.

You talk about only driving for necessity and walking everywhere else. I honestly wish I could. In fact, my boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day. From my house, it's a few miles each way to any type of cafe or grocery store or movie theater. My town has no streetlights, no sidewalks, no "main drag" (and like I said, I'm definitely not in the middle of nowhere). It's not really somewhere that is pedestrian friendly. His town has all of that.....but to get to a grocery store, it's miles away, bordering one of the most dangerous cities in all of New Jersey.

I would love to be able to walk to the "fun places." You just....can't here. So something totally needs to be done, not just "drive less." I drive as little as possible now. And when it costs $40+ to fill a Dodge Neon and a Honda Civic....thats a problem. =\

Llamas
05-24-2008, 01:30 AM
But see... I still think you are missing my point. Most of what you've mentioned are situations where it is necessary to drive. I absolutely do not think that everyone CAN get around without a car. At all. I am well aware that most of this country is set up in a very car-dependent way.

I stand by my belief that people need to reserve driving for necessity. Some people's living situations involve complete reliance on a car, and I'm certainly not denying that. Last fall, I lived in my home town with my family. There was exactly one bus that came within the limits of our town. It was a 10 minute walk to get to that bus stop, there were no sidewalks, the bus only came every 30-45 minutes, and it basically just went to the mall one town over... so you'd have to take that bus to the mall and then transfer to another bus in order to get anywhere- AND it didn't take you around the town I lived in. Only any good if you wanted to go to Milwaukee. There was a grocery store and a music store within walking distance of my house (like 2 miles), again with no sidewalks and both were on a very busy street... everything else was at least 10 miles away. So yeah, I definitely know how it is to not be able to cut driving out of your life because you literally have to depend on it.

What I was getting at was regarding people who CAN cut down on driving, like the creator of the thread. And people in general, as a whole. Not every single individual.

I'd also like to point out, though, that it is possible to live places that are set up better. That again goes for the greater whole... people in general. There are so many people who choose to live out in the middle of nowhere cause they like the peace, or they want more land... and then have to drive so far to get anywhere.

IamSam
05-24-2008, 02:34 AM
In other news, there has been an answer to our problems for 2 years now. (http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/18/207698.html)

randman21
05-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Simply astonishing. I'm tempted to reserve this thing, but i got no munnies.:(

http://www.aptera.com/ (http://www.aptera.com/)

nieh
05-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I've been talking about that car for ages. It seems really awesome, but it's made primarily for a niche market in California where the weather is nice like 99% of the time. It's so lightweight I can't imagine it handling well in heavy rain or snow or wind and last I checked on it there were really no test drives done in those situations. If it handled fine in those and fit more than 2 people (they are planning on working on a larger model in the future) I would pick it up in a second whenever my current car finally dies. Although the price has gone up from the originally projected 20k and is now closer to 30k which is way more than I can afford at this time.

come out swinging
05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Business are shutting down and causing people to find a new job. All the jobs in my area that have a descent salary are 30 minutes away which is 30 + miles away. Then if i do find a job in MA uncle sam gets to nail me in CT and MA taxes because of wrking in a different state. People can not enjoy life with out driving. Its hard to enjoy life when ur paycheck is under 450 a weak, cell phone bill, car insurance, health insurance, groceries and gas for the car.

Public transportation doesnt really exist in my town. Their like 1 bus which goes to hartford ct which is a business industries area.

Recently tracker trailers drivers have been going on strike because of the amount of money it cost them to fill their tank. to them its not worth going to work.

If i do bike to work, then i be getting up an extra 30 min earlier. I am already getting up 5 to be at wrk at 6.. and then i have to be careful crossing the highway. the mexicans in my town. ride their bike to wrk. they work at denny's, dunkin doughnuts. i seen them get hit by a car and it like wtf. they dont care if they get hit by a car. they only care bout their bike. Im not even kidding bout it. they pick their bike up and continue to ride to their mountain bike. walking 6 miles in little out of the question cuz of the time i have to get up.

My opinion is that people are way to greedy. At work, during our coffee break we talk bout gas prices and read the stories bout oil and gas on tv and its horrible what is is going on. And those gas saver cars like in the deventi code cost to much. i rather buy another toyato corolla.

Endymion
05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
or you could drop a few hundred bucks now for a fairly nice road bike (no carbon fiber, etc) which can get you to and from anywhere you want to go in town pretty quickly and easily. you can go even cheaper on the bike if you can restrict yourself to a 5-10 mile radius.

also, i love the simplemindedness of the plea: won't someone do something? you know what -- bill gates will step up and subsidize the gasoline companies so they can sell gas at a dollar a gallon. yeah, there's someone and something.

nieh
05-24-2008, 05:12 PM
A little while back when I was in danger of losing my license I actually picked up a bike and was planning on using it to get into work (or at least using it to go the 5 miles to the nearest bus stop aside from the one 3 miles in the other direction in Camden) and the idea of riding it on some of the roads around here was terrifying. To get to work I'd have to ride along a highway with no sidewalk and very little shoulder, hop onto another similar highway which only has a shoulder on the right side, which then merges with another highway on the right side causing the shoulder to completely disappear and turn into a new lane of traffic which would mean I'd have to bike through all the merging cars from two different highways until the roads split off on their own again.

Endymion
05-24-2008, 05:49 PM
i'm definitely spoiled here, with bike paths permeating town and most roads have bike lanes.

Llamas
05-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Business are shutting down and causing people to find a new job. All the jobs in my area that have a descent salary are 30 minutes away which is 30 + miles away. Then if i do find a job in MA uncle sam gets to nail me in CT and MA taxes because of wrking in a different state. People can not enjoy life with out driving. Its hard to enjoy life when ur paycheck is under 450 a weak, cell phone bill, car insurance, health insurance, groceries and gas for the car.

Public transportation doesnt really exist in my town. Their like 1 bus which goes to hartford ct which is a business industries area.

Recently tracker trailers drivers have been going on strike because of the amount of money it cost them to fill their tank. to them its not worth going to work.

If i do bike to work, then i be getting up an extra 30 min earlier. I am already getting up 5 to be at wrk at 6.. and then i have to be careful crossing the highway. the mexicans in my town. ride their bike to wrk. they work at denny's, dunkin doughnuts. i seen them get hit by a car and it like wtf. they dont care if they get hit by a car. they only care bout their bike. Im not even kidding bout it. they pick their bike up and continue to ride to their mountain bike. walking 6 miles in little out of the question cuz of the time i have to get up.

My opinion is that people are way to greedy. At work, during our coffee break we talk bout gas prices and read the stories bout oil and gas on tv and its horrible what is is going on. And those gas saver cars like in the deventi code cost to much. i rather buy another toyato corolla.

Wow, you're really an idiot. You might be able to make a potential point if you learned how to spell, use grammar, and type first. It's painful to read your posts.

"People can not enjoy life without driving". Wow, I can't even believe how ignorant that statement is. And $400/week is plenty to get by on. If you filled up your tank once a week (like I do), you're spending about $160 a month total on gas. And I am positive you do not have to drive as much as I do, so you certainly don't have to fill up that often. You make enough money to afford that.

Plus you whine about how greedy people are. You're sounding greedy by crying about how someone better do something about gas prices cause you don't wanna pay them. :( :(

-----------

I definitely got really used to biking everywhere in Austria. I miss that. I can't really bike much around here. It's more dangerous, and things are spread out. But I still wish I had a bike... I'd bike whenever I could.

come out swinging
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow, you're really an idiot. You might be able to make a potential point if you learned how to spell, use grammar, and type first. It's painful to read your posts.

"People can not enjoy life without driving". Wow, I can't even believe how ignorant that statement is. And $400/week is plenty to get by on. If you filled up your tank once a week (like I do), you're spending about $160 a month total on gas. And I am positive you do not have to drive as much as I do, so you certainly don't have to fill up that often. You make enough money to afford that.

Plus you whine about how greedy people are. You're sounding greedy by crying about how someone better do something about gas prices cause you don't wanna pay them. :( :(

It must be a class act for you to respond to my post and say what you say. For some people what they type looks fine in their perspective. K teacher would u like to edit everything i type. LOL:D oh shit i didn't capitalized the word "I" and used the abbreviation "u" instead of spelling the whole word out. oh my.:D

400 a week is just an example. Some people make less than 345 a week and thats a full time position. Most of the time i had to fill up twice because of places i had to go. People like me had to change their lifestyle on where they want go. aka Traveling.

Greedy?, when Saudra Arabia charge under $1 a gal for their people and charge hell lot more for other countries, now that being greedy. Even Canada gas is cheaper than the US. the last time i check, it was $1.30 a gal and that was a 2-3 weeks ago.

Jesus
05-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Ghawar has peaked and there is little excess capacity left in the world to fullfill increasing internal OPEC and Asian demand. So high prices are here to stay and will probably increase in the next years. ANWR drilling aint gonna help that much.

Best thing to do is to put higher taxes (via percentages) on gas and use that money to invest into public transportation (bus, high speed trains, bike lanes) , spatial planning and research/construction for alternatives.

Greedy?, when Saudra Arabia charge under $1 a gal for their people and charge hell lot more for other countries, now that being greedy.
That's standard supply and demand. They can't produce much more, so the price is whatever it will be until people drop out. There really isn't anything complex about it.
I'd also say you are the greedy one, you want them to limit local consumption of their own oil so you'd have a cheaper price. You don't own the world.

Even Canada gas is cheaper than the US. the last time i check, it was $1.30 a gal and that was a 2-3 weeks ago.
You are probably confusing litres with gallons.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
05-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Yesterday i filled my tank. I had to pay 80 euros (!!!!) for like 60 liters. It's just too much, it can't go on like this...

come out swinging
05-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Ghawar has peaked and there is little excess capacity left in the world to fullfill increasing internal OPEC and Asian demand. So high prices are here to stay and will probably increase in the next years. ANWR drilling aint gonna help that much.

Best thing to do is to put higher taxes (via percentages) on gas and use that money to invest into public transportation (bus, high speed trains, bike lanes) , spatial planning and research/construction for alternatives.

That's standard supply and demand. They can't produce much more, so the price is whatever it will be until people drop out. There really isn't anything complex about it.
I'd also say you are the greedy one, you want them to limit local consumption of their own oil so you'd have a cheaper price. You don't own the world.

What may help the problem is that a cap could come into play. (For people who don't know what a cap is, it is when a person buys in a price. the price is set until they used all the money they invested in it. Mostly it is seen with oil companies. It creates more business because it draw attention.). Oil and gas companies do make GP. Some of the has and oil companies make 6 figures each year. To me each year 6 figures is a lot.

On the other note the supplies do know people will pay what they want. People do fear that the world is going to run out of oil and gas. In my perspective, thats not going to happen. Their is oil and gas still not found.

If i do want world domination, i will continue to play Attack, commonly known board game called RISK.

nieh
05-25-2008, 08:14 AM
People do fear that the world is going to run out of oil and gas. In my perspective, thats not going to happen. Their is oil and gas still not found.

And once they find it and use it up, THEN we'll run out.

Little_Miss_1565
05-25-2008, 08:22 AM
And once they find it and use it up, THEN we'll run out.

Not to mention that all plastics--ALL PLASTICS--are made from that oil as well, and that is using up the world's supplies a lot faster than our cars are.

Llamas
05-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Right. And even if there is some more oil somewhere that we don't know about, there's not a whole lot left. We'll use it up and then we'll be out. Plus some oil could be in places we can't drill, like where people live or there are important habitats.

Exactly. But noooo boo hoo I don't wanna pay more for my gas :(

Yeah it's not greedy for it to be cheaper in their country when it COMES from their own country. Need you forget that prices also increase due to shipping overseas, and all the middlemen involved with getting the gas from there to your car. If you think gas can be sold here for the same price as there, you're ignorant. And gas is not cheap in Canada. It's more expensive than it is here. As previously said, liters are not the same as gallons, brainiac...

Yesterday i filled my tank. I had to pay 80 euros (!!!!) for like 60 liters. It's just too much, it can't go on like this...
Now that's expensive. Right now, we're still paying about 30-40 euros for 60 liters. I'd like our gas to hit European prices before people start really bitching :p

Tonza
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Wtf are you bitching about? If I got it right you pay $3.83 for a gallon.
That is about 0.67 for a litre (for us Europeans to handle).

For example, here in Finland it's nowadays even more than 1.50 per litre, that's almost three times more expensive here!
You say that the prises hav risen? Yeah, but all the time we have had euros, it's been like over 1/ltr and going up (since 2002). I just wonder what you guys have paid for it before...

No wonder world's polluting up with people driving around in their city-jeeps with cheap gasoline.
(Yeah, it's still cheap, it won't go cheaper anymore, soon a normal person can't afford driving a car...)

HornyPope
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Wtf are you bitching about? If I got it right you pay $3.83 for a gallon.
That is about 0.67 for a litre (for us Europeans to handle).

For example, here in Finland it's nowadays even more than 1.50 per litre, that's almost three times more expensive here!
You say that the prises hav risen? Yeah, but all the time we have had euros, it's been like over 1/ltr and going up (since 2002). I just wonder what you guys have paid for it before...

No wonder world's polluting up with people driving around in their city-jeeps with cheap gasoline.
(Yeah, it's still cheap, it won't go cheaper anymore, soon a normal person can't afford driving a car...)

Yeah but how far do you commute everyday?

Helsinki is probably like 25kms in length. Americans live in the suburbs so it's not unusual for people to drive 50km+ (one way) to get to work, plus most of them are really fat so they buy huge-ass cars that thirst for gas. I bet you the actual $$$ the average American spends on gas is higher than that of the average European, so the rising oil prices are felt much more in USA.

With this being said, it's inevitable that the prices of oil are growing to reflect the high demand, and that's good. We don't have an infinite resource of carbon energy and it's time people understood that. We have to be smart about production and our consumption of energy, and those who can't be smart, or, alternatively, pay the premium, don't deserve this lifestyle.

Mota Boy
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, most US cities were built up after the invention of the car, particularly at a time when gas was plentiful and cheap, whereas most European cities predate the automobile by several centuries. So US cities have a ton of sprawl. It's very difficult to live in a great many places in the US if you don't have a car, and only a few cities have efficient public transportation.

HornyPope
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
There is no justification for owning such huge cars though.

Mota Boy
05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Nah, we just do that 'cause it's cool.

HornyPope
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Could have at least gotten good cars. Big cars that are big for the sake of being big are just eugh in my book.