PDA

View Full Version : Americana Or Smash?

Budzy
05-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Smash was no doubt there most succesful album. Americana being there second most successful. By records sold i mean. Which one do you prefer? I can't decide to be honest. But my fav song is americana.

C'mon guys. show a bit of love.

***After listenning to both albums quite a few times while doing h/w and all that, i've decided. Americana was my first album ever, and i love all the songs on there. My favourite song is on there, it was a succesful album, and the album flows just as well as smash. The kids is a great song, and i think americana was given the most thought. Though i do agree with what some of the replies have mentioned: americana is more for the younger people. its more fun, and probably has less meaning then smash. its an album that is there too be enjoyed, not thought about. smash is still my 2nd favourite, and i probably listen to it more, but americana takes the cake for me.

ad8
05-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Smash. It is just THE album. Americana is awesome, too, but I dislike some songs on there. For example Feelings and She's Got Issues. And WDYGAJ and Walla Walla are songs I can't always listen to, although I like them. But I'm just not always in the americana-mood. Whereas I can listen to Smash almost always.

F@ BANKZ
05-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Ask me any amount of years ago: Americana. At the moment I prefer Smash.

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 04:28 AM
May I just be silly and say i like them both?

But then again:

While in Rome be Roman.

IamSam
05-24-2008, 04:30 AM
While in Rome be Roman.

Soooo....

Americana?

The Search Button
05-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Soooo....

Americana?

No.

Silliness.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I have no idea.

Ill.be.waiting.
05-24-2008, 05:14 AM
I totally agree with ad8 xD
Most of the time I don't want to listen to walla walla, or WDYGAJ...
But songs like have you ever, the kids, americana...are so great...
And smash is amazing
I think I can't choose xP

dff_punk
05-24-2008, 06:26 AM
I voted Americana. I have a special relationship with that album.

Hypodermic_89
05-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Fun poll for me. Smash is in my top 2 and Americana is my least favorite.

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Americana was my introduction to the band, but Smash is the one for me ;)

samara
05-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Smash and Americana are my favorite. I've listened to The Offspring since Americana, I'm fond of this album. Smash is great and I don't know what to choose :P

Steph
05-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I voted Smash. I like Americana but hey...Smash is Smash:D

Scythe Death
05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I like more the songs more songs in Americana like Have You Ever, Staring At the Sun, The Kids Aren't Alright, and Americana. In Smash, the song I like the most is Smash, and the rest of the songs aren't as great as the ones I mentioned for Americana. However, it is less exhausting to listen to Smash than Americana. The songs may not be as great as those, but they're generally good, and there's less of a drag to skip the songs I don't like... and there's more songs..

Eh.. I remain undecided.

jacknife737
05-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Although i love Smash, Americana needs to get more respect on this site, its an amazing album. I'm still not sure which one i really like more, so i guess i'll skip voting

brian.offspring
05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
SMASH without a doubt, i really like americana . . . but i don't like some song (pretty fly, wdygaj, walla walla), however, i like all smash songs . . .

Cock Joke
05-24-2008, 01:39 PM
I can't decide right now. BRB

Llamas
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Americana is a far more mature album. There is more variety here, and it's clever and smart. I honestly believe that the Offspring put the most thought into Americana of any album they've released so far.

I used to put Smash above Americana... but I think in the last year or so, Americana has moved up as I've matured.

disclaimer_07
05-24-2008, 01:45 PM
What the heck.... I can't decide, it's like I don't need to skip any song from Americana while listening to it. But still, Smash is so damn good. Whatever.... Americana, yeah!

Anka
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Americana, this was the album thanks to which I started listening to the Offspring...

Cock Joke
05-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Americana! That was their frikkin prime right there!

Unnatural Disaster
05-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Smash is better all around, but Americana does have a lot of good songs on it.

drex878
05-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Americana! That was their frikkin prime right there!

Is 1994 irrelevant to you?

Alex101
05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I chose Smash. It's my most favorite Offspring album.

Smash punker
05-26-2008, 07:49 AM
If I´d be 15 years old, then I´d definitely pick Americana, but I got older and understood the S.M.A.S.H. more and got also into punk-rock more so my choice is clear! :D

disclaimer_07
05-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Dammit. I've been thinking about this and now I'm leaning towards Smash.... It's actually Smash that got me into The Offspring, I should have voted for Smash....

nameless
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
id say americana, i just prefer the vibe they had going on the album. the only downfall is the obvious few overplayed songs!

shanna_guarana
05-26-2008, 02:56 PM
smash is better
overall it's better
every single song is also better

totally agreed

ANDiTKO
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
These are the two best albums in my opinion.I like'em both! (i voted Smash)

Smash punker
05-27-2008, 12:29 AM
totally agreed

So punx! :D

Silhouette
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I chose Americana album because with him I learned about the band Offspring. Perhaps this album for me is very difficult to overstate! Album Smash also very good!! But if the choice between Americana and Smash I choose Americana!!

Spike17
01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Oh come on its hard to give one the upper hand of the other, its like choosing which one of your kids lives or dies, my life wouldnt be the same with out listening to both albums!

MoonTan™
01-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I LOVE Smash but.......

Americana was an amazing spirital experience, I Mean Pay the Man was just amazing, That album shows what the offspring can actually do musically, while still maintaining meaningful lyrics (with the excepption of pretty fly and WDYGAJ)

Budzy
01-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow this was my first thread ever, the moment I started ruining these forums.

Trek
01-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Hmm Smash for sure. Tho Americana has awwsome songs too, i think Come Out and Play and Self-Esteem are unbeatable.

Rutegard
01-14-2009, 04:21 AM
i voted for americana..

Dragnet
01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Smash was my first Offspring album (followed by Ixnay) and will always be my favourite. I can listen to it all the time. It's just pure energy all the way through and it's really heavy.
It was successfull, but nonetheless it wasn't really pop, just melodic punk rock that fitted the time.

However, Americana has got Pay The Man on it, which is probably one of the coolest Offspring songs ever but as we all know was written during hte Ixnay time. But Feelings for example ist pretty useless I think.
Another big minus is that, with Pretty Fly as a single, Americana started to show Offspring even more as a soft-pop-fun-punk band in the public eye.
But I have to say it was pretty cool to see my favourite band hitting the charts again. Kinda like "I always knew they rule". After Ixnay no one could really think of that.

Pablo_Asturias
01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I choose Americana because I spent my childhood listening to it and I love every song on the record. Smash is an awesome CD, songs like Self-Esteem are unrepeatable, but I choose Americana

metalmania
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
offspring-ignition-(smash and xnay on the hombre albums:these two albums re very cool and powerfull albums) were punk albums but other albums re pop-punk albums and americana album is the opening album of pop-punk style with americana for offspring and offspring begun to keep in step with music fashion.so smash 4eva!;)

Grimesy da Offspringfan
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Smash is better as an album at all, but Americana has better some of the best songs (TKAA, Staring At The Sun, Have You Ever, Pay The Man, etc.)

Crazy-Taxi-Driver
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I like both albums, but I think I prefer Americana. ;)

Bipolar Bear
01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Smash was the album that really got me into The Offspring, although I listened to songs from Americana first. I must say I prefer Smash, because although Americana has some great songs, it also contains too many mediocre ones [ex. pretty fly, walla walla, feelings].

Well, I do also prefer Smash's top songs (my favorite I should say) [ex. Bad Habit, Gotta Get Away, Nitro, Come out and Play] to Americana's top songs [Have You Ever, Staring at the Sun, The Kids Aren't Alright].

I guess I just completely like Smash more than Americana.
Oh yeah what else - Smash has better lyrics.

jacknife737
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
I prefer Americana; musically, and lyrically. Smash is a great album, however, it's got nothing on Americana's diversity.

RedFox
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Americana.

Why? By sound, letters, general subjects, however Smash is not less than American ... but I prefer American

Gayman
01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Voted for Americana.
I think it has just more drive, you know. And "Pay The Man" is on it. So, can't go wrong there ;)

Offspring-Junkie
01-15-2009, 02:50 AM
IXNAY
But between Smash and Americana I'd prefer Americana, because I love pretty fly, TKAA and staring at the sun!

findout5
01-15-2009, 03:56 AM
I bet most voters bought Americana first and are now voting Smash!

Smash was the first Offspring record I bought, but all th recors they put out since are better than that (except Splinter - of course!).

My vote on this one goes to Americana.

Mark Rooster
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
SMASH is my favorite Offspring album, and probably my second-favorite album of all time. AMERICANA is excellent, but SMASH is what got me into the band, and there isn't a single song on the album that isn't 100% awesome. It is, for the most part, straight up punk, with some metal influences, great lyrics, catchy choruses. Everything they do best, without any overtly poppy stuff (for the record, I like the poppy stuff too).

AMERICANA has some of their fastest, most punk-sounding tunes, like "Have You Ever", "No Brakes", "Americana", with some excellent lyrics ("Pay the Man") and some really intelligent sarcasm and social commentary "Pretty Fly"). The album bounces between poppy and fast, which totally works.

I can't think of anything negative to say about AMERICANA, except that "Feelings" is my least favorite Offspring song after "Spare Me the Details".

If someone wanted to argue that AMERICANA is the better album, I wouldn't put up any fight. It's an excellent record. But for me, SMASH will always be their best, an excellent representation of 90s punk rock. There's just something about the abrasive quality of the music, the recording the lyrics, that says, "I don't give a fuck, man."

Whereas AMERICANA is an excellent example of a big, commercial album done the right way. Apples and oranges, I guess.

Dragnet
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
True... true.

So what is your all time favourite record?

Kennytar
01-16-2009, 02:27 AM
I have a thing for Americana. So, I think its better!

Mark Rooster
01-16-2009, 07:58 AM
My all-time favorite is "Background Music" by American Nightmare. "Smash" was my favorite for about five or six years before that came out. I don't trade up favorites very often, though, so it's still in my Top 2 :)

shitwalker
01-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Smash. I listen to the Offspring for 5,5 years. And i still have Smash in my mp3-player, though it was my very first album. And i'm fed up with Americana, though still like it's songs.

WerGee
01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Smash is really interesting Offspring album, very good...but Americana is (i´m not original) better...Offspring are better after music respect...much the same thing u already said

dexter85
01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Smash was no doubt there most succesful album. Americana being there second most successful. By records sold i mean.

Actually I've read that Smash sold 11 million copies while Americana sold 13 mill. Smash is just always pointed out because it was released on an independent label making it a record-selling independent album.

jacknife737
01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually I've read that Smash sold 11 million copies while Americana sold 13 mill. Smash is just always pointed out because it was released on an independent label making it a record-selling independent album.

I've heard estimates that put Smash as high as 15-6 million sold.

I think that Americana may have sold more in the US, but world wide i'm quite sure that Smash has it beat.

sbazzone
01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
11 both --> http://www.offspring.com/thehistory/

Sofinch
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
well it became Smash ...

metalmania
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
i think:punkrockers like smash album and poprockers like americana album so i hate pop and pop's derivatives

the_real_potomek
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Smash. Although Americana is also awesome:D

Ninty Man
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
MMM

I think Smash is too overrated, is not bad, but it has so alone, WHICH IS THE LAMEST OFFSPRING SONG, and fillers like not the one, something to believe in.

Americana is more... commercial but complete...

Americana

nameless
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
difficult choice but i decided on smash due to the songs. i have never found myself skipping tracks on smash but you have the obvious few on americana. id like to hear smash played with the same production in terms of sound on americana!

Budzy
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I've heard estimates that put Smash as high as 15-6 million sold.

I think that Americana may have sold more in the US, but world wide i'm quite sure that Smash has it beat.

Exactly what I heard. Worldwide sales for Smash is up around 16mil, where as Americana has 12-13million.

offspring_freak_3
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
difficult choice but i decided on smash due to the songs. i have never found myself skipping tracks on smash but you have the obvious few on americana. id like to hear smash played with the same production in terms of sound on americana!
i also voted for smash and agree with everything u've just said

wrc307
01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
i didnt vote... i can't choose 1 :mad: it's very difficult

Punkrock1907
01-17-2009, 05:17 AM
smash ofcourse
i met offspring with smash album.

Spike17
01-17-2009, 06:17 AM
i dont even agree with this thread there both fuckin kick ass albums that make the best band we know today

dhess
01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I personally prefer Smash. Probably because I got it when it first came out and listened to it a lot in the car while commuting to and from work. "Bad Habit" is a great song to listen to while sitting in stop-and-go traffic on the Capital Beltway around D.C... I was able to listen to the whole CD twice through during that commute... And since I was broke most of the time, I didn't have many other CDs to listen to.

Americana is also good, but by the time that album came out, I was in Los Angeles and did not have the same kind of traffic jams to sit around in while listening. So, I've probably not heard Americana as many times, and it doesn't evoke the same kinds of memories from me as Smash does.

chicapowerpunk
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Oh my god I think Smash is better than American, I like both and I enjoy a lot escuhandolos but Smash is more fun, more rebellious.
Maybe I hang you, but it is very American pop, punk ademáscreo that is good for all genres, but to me personally I like to hear the guitar riffs as possible.
I love the band that much to me nothing is wrong.